Author Topic: Distance Over Time - Track By Track Videos  (Read 11901 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Distance Over Time - Track By Track Videos
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »
You know what would be cool?

They release videos of them discussing the songs but with no clips of the songs.

Then they have a contest for who can write a song, based on the description, that is closest to theirs. Youtube prog dudes will be all over that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Well, that's basically how Redemption was formed in response to the SOC songwriting contest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
Well, that's basically how Redemption was formed in response to the SOC songwriting contest.

I knew something similar was done in the past. So, in the spirit of DT trying to retread old territory on this new album, maybe they should do the same with the song writing thing. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
Hey, if another band of the same quality as Redemption comes of it, bring it on!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
That would actually be pretty awesome. There were a few very well-written pieces that were created as a result last time.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm going to guess we'll get another song a little after the new year, and then another video shortly after that.  Then after the album drops in February, we'll get them every couple of weeks for the remaining tracks.  But that is purely a guess on my part.

Track by track after the album is published   :mehlin
Who is interested?  ???

Who wouldn't be interested?

I certainly don't have any interest in hearing them talk about a song I haven't yet heard, and I really don't think they're going to release all of the songs individually before the album drops.

It would be very strange to say we’re going to do videos discussing each track on the album, release the first one now and then wait 3 months to release the others. They don’t necessarily have to include audio from those songs, just leave the Untethered Angel audio as the background music.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »
I'm going to guess we'll get another song a little after the new year, and then another video shortly after that.  Then after the album drops in February, we'll get them every couple of weeks for the remaining tracks.  But that is purely a guess on my part.

Who is interested?  ???

I certainly don't have any interest in hearing them talk about a song I haven't yet heard, and I really don't think they're going to release all of the songs individually before the album drops.

+1

Offline rab7

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 08:00:34 AM »
All songs in ADTOE had a 1 minute snippet except for BMUBMD, and OTBOA and Outcry

Online pg1067

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »

Who is interested?  ???

It would be very strange to say we’re going to do videos discussing each track on the album, release the first one now and then wait 3 months to release the others. They don’t necessarily have to include audio from those songs, just leave the Untethered Angel audio as the background music.

Doesn't seem strange to me at all.  They recorded 10 songs and released the first one and are going to wait three months to release most of the others.  Maybe we'll get one or two more songs before the album is released, but it wouldn't bother me if UA was the only one we get.  Why would they do anything different with the videos in which they discuss the songs?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
I take your point but I think it’s two different things. No one expects them to release all the songs months before the album comes out.  People are on here though waiting expectantly for the next track description video to be released imminently. Makes sense as a promotional tool to keep people excited over the coming weeks and months to drip feed information to us.

You may be right of course but there’ll be far less interest in these videos once we have the album in our hands as opposed to now when we’re desperate for any little morsel of information about the album.

Online pg1067

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
there’ll be far less interest in these videos once we have the album in our hands as opposed to now when we’re desperate for any little morsel of information about the album.

I'm assuming you haven't canvassed any significant portion of the fan base, so I'm uncertain on what basis you're asserting this.  I can only speak for myself and say that I will be far more interested in these videos if I know what the songs sound like.  Also, and while I realize that some folks are "desperate for any little morsel of information about the album," I am not at all desperate for that.  I'm looking forward to the new album, and I enjoyed UA quite a bit (as indicated in another thread), but I'm perfectly content to wait for commentary videos until after the album is released.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 04:26:45 AM »
We’ll just have to agree to disagree and see what happens.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
there’ll be far less interest in these videos once we have the album in our hands as opposed to now when we’re desperate for any little morsel of information about the album.

I'm assuming you haven't canvassed any significant portion of the fan base, so I'm uncertain on what basis you're asserting this.  I can only speak for myself and say that I will be far more interested in these videos if I know what the songs sound like.  Also, and while I realize that some folks are "desperate for any little morsel of information about the album," I am not at all desperate for that.  I'm looking forward to the new album, and I enjoyed UA quite a bit (as indicated in another thread), but I'm perfectly content to wait for commentary videos until after the album is released.

I'm in the same boat. I'd rather hear the songs in their entirety a few times, then watch videos about how the songs were created. I'll be skipping these videos for now.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »
Is this still happening?  It's been almost a month since the first (and only) one was posted.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 11:46:08 AM »
Is this still happening?  It's been almost a month since the first (and only) one was posted.

I think they’ll release the 2nd single first, then the track description and the rest will probably drop after the album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 12:34:04 AM »
I hope they don't abandon uploading these like they did with the themes from The Astonishing videos.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »

Really well said and couldn't agree more.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »

I think it could go either way.

Online pg1067

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:47 AM »

I think it could go either way.

That was exactly the point of what I wrote.  "Peter Mc" was asserting that there would be less interest in the videos once the album is released.  My assertion was that Peter's assertion had no basis in fact and was assuming his feelings are typical of the fan base as a whole.  To the contrary, some fans (like Peter, apparently) may be more interested in the videos before the album is released, and some fans (like me) will be more interested in the videos once we know what the songs sound like.  It's nothing more than that.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
Of course some will go one way and some the other, many won’t want any preconceptions going into the album and will avoid promotional material, I get that but I think they are in the minority, I did not deal in absolutes though and I will watch the videos whenever they come out. I just thought it’s human nature to be more curious to watch a video breaking down an album I’m desperately waiting for than an album I’ve already heard. That’s why I thought the videos would get more views if released before the album comes out and be a promotional tool rather than released after the album (like the ill fated Astonishing breakdown videos).

I will say though that it would appear that they are delaying releasing any more videos at the moment so they may well be waiting until the album comes out. If not I’d have thought we’d have seen another one by now and they’d be released regularly in the weeks leading up to the album.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 05:38:26 AM »
Assume we'll get another track descriptor video with the band soon?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:27 AM »
Holy shit JM. Get on with it! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 07:55:13 AM »
From Youtube comments:

Wow, that is some amazing CGI on  Myung's mouth. It really does look as if he is speaking. The voice actor also is very good. Great job you guys

:rollin

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
Poor JM he looks so uncomfortable speaking. I can't wait to see the rest of these once they see the light of day.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 09:11:11 AM »
Yeah I felt bad watching that video. Not only could you tell he felt uncomfortable but he really didn't do a good job a articulating anything.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
I know it’s an old joke and all, but, really, to me JM always just seems in peace while talking, not uncomfortable.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »
Good to see JMX involved with the track by track videos. A different voice and perspective is always good.

Offline rab7

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Good to see JMX involved with the track by track videos. A different voice and perspective is always good.

Looks like he was in this video because he wrote the lyrics, though I learned almost nothing about the lyrics in the video except that it was challenging to write.

I expect James to show up in the At Wit's End and Out of Reach videos

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 11:17:31 AM »
For those wondering, this does contain snippets of FITL so avoid if you are seeking to stay spoiler free.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
For those wondering, this does contain snippets of FITL so avoid if you are seeking to stay spoiler free.

Thanks, I wast just going to ask. Man I wish they would release these videos without music in them. That way the people who don't want to listen to singles could watch those videos too. If you want to listen to it, just watch the actual video to the single.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
But if you want to avoid spoilers, why would you watch a video of the band talking all about the new songs?  Music or not, it is full of spoilers by definition.  I don't get it.  ???

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
Well, it's still a way to keep track of the album without actually listening to new music. I refuse to listen to the singles until I will have bough the album and yet I'm following these threads and I'm reading the review. I really can't explain it, it's just that while I like to avoid new stuff until I have the new album, I still can't hold back the curiosity to read what other people think of the songs or of the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
Well, it's still a way to keep track of the album without actually listening to new music. I refuse to listen to the singles until I will have bough the album and yet I'm following these threads and I'm reading the review. I really can't explain it, it's just that while I like to avoid new stuff until I have the new album, I still can't hold back the curiosity to read what other people think of the songs or of the album.

If you are reading the threads about people discussing the singles, you've pretty much found out more info than what's been in these videos. I mean, they are cool, but nothing too crazy.