Author Topic: Distance Over Time - Track By Track Videos  (Read 11900 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Distance Over Time - Track By Track Videos
« on: December 12, 2018, 06:32:44 AM »
Dream Theater will be posting track by track videos for the songs on the album.

Here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Co1_h0GtAw

Second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:59:36 AM by noxon »

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Distance Over Time - Track By Track Videos
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »
So this is the cool thing announced yesterday! glad to know these are happening, it's a new and exciting thing  :metal

I assume these will appear before the February release, right? I decided to not listen to the single but if they discuss new songs I'd be interested to listen to what they have to say even if they don't play them in the videos...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:30 AM »
The interesting bit of info here is that JM wrote the main riff for UA.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 06:41:19 AM »
I really enjoyed the song discussion videos leading up to ADTOE.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:58:41 AM »
That's a great way of building up anticipation for the new album!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
Cool video, great to see the guys doing something like this leading up to the album.

JMX wrote the main riff, which is great and I feel silly but I never connected the clean intro and the outro until JP mentioned it. Good stuff.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 07:06:12 AM »
The interesting bit of info here is that JM wrote the main riff for UA.

As a studio geek, I'll always read UA as Universal Audio  :biggrin:

Hope they give us insights on all the songs!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 07:14:33 AM »
I've always loved these track by track videos, very cool.  :tup

Offline rab7

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »
Another cool thing about the "Maiden section" is that they alternate who's doing the higher note and who's doing the lower note.

Usually when two instruments are harmonizing, one is always on top of the other. In this case, they alternate seamlessly throughout

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
Really like how they're promoting this album :tup

Can't wait for the video description of the next songs :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
I assume these will appear before the February release, right? I decided to not listen to the single but if they discuss new songs I'd be interested to listen to what they have to say even if they don't play them in the videos...
Keep in mind: the song is heard throughout the video in the background.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:27:31 AM »
Lovely video.
If this time somebody claims that they "have not put enough energy and passion" in the new album I am going to  :natalieportman: him..
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
Another cool thing about the "Maiden section" is that they alternate who's doing the higher note and who's doing the lower note.

Usually when two instruments are harmonizing, one is always on top of the other. In this case, they alternate seamlessly throughout

And that is one of the signature things about Dream Theater that first pulled me in that I love to this day:  They always have lots of subtle changes throughout their songs and sections of songs where there is a LOT more going on than initially meets the eye.  Even in a relatively simple song like Untethered Angel, there is a lot more going on than one might initially think.  It sounds simple and straightforward.  But beneath the surface, there is still a lot of cool stuff to dig into.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
It sounds simple and straightforward.  But beneath the surface, there is still a lot of cool stuff to dig into.

One of their best recent ballads, for sure!

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
James' humor.  :metal :rollin
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
Hearing John speak about letting go of fear at the end of the vid is interesting... I wonder if perhaps John has been reading or watching/listening to Jordan Peterson recently.  I actually commented to my wife that the lyrics would work well into some of Dr. Peterson's lectures and the broader spectrum of that form of clinical psychology.  Just an observation....

I think that these videos are a wonderful way to promote the album!  Always enjoy JLB's dry wit.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
I like that James and Jordan clearly shouted out the underrated vocals from LTE.  They deserve much more credit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
I like that James and Jordan clearly shouted out the underrated vocals from LTE.  They deserve much more credit.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pcs90

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »
Jordan saying there will be a lot of Hammond organ on this album makes me very happy.

Loved the vocals in LTE too! :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 02:12:21 AM »
Good insight to the song, and like that JLB mentioned that the word "Untethered" is actually very singer friendly. It shows on the main video of the song when he's singing the chorus.
 On another note, I totally dig the sick sweeps JP does in the solo going up the neck, plus the unisons panned left and right.
 I suck at sweeps and my guitar gently weeps as a result.  The only good sweeping I do is behind a damn shop broom..   :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Keep in mind: the song is heard throughout the video in the background.

Aw man I just wanted to ask this. I hope the coming videos will not feature the music in the background. I sucks very much for everyone who doesn't want to hear anything. I don't know why they'd include the music in the background. Whoever wants to listen to the song can do so in the "real" video.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
Because most people will have listened to the track. DT -wants- people to listen to the track ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
Because most people will have listened to the track. DT -wants- people to listen to the track ;)

I'm not listening, I want a full album experience in February. Come at me DT.

;D

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »

Will the next track commentaries feature the new songs?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
I don't think it will contain anything you don't already have access too.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »

I'm not listening, I want a full album experience in February. Come at me DT.

;D
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
Jordan saying there will be a lot of Hammond organ on this album makes me very happy.

I think the vocals on Erotomania are far-and-away better than anything from LTE!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 01:17:44 AM »

I think the vocals on Erotomania are far-and-away better than anything from LTE!

As far as lyrics go, I'll take TDoE over any other DT song.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Hope to get a new video today, if they release one every week, we'd get them all short before the release
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Mladen

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
Do you think the videos for other songs will come with samples from those particular songs?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
I don't recall if leading up to ADTOE we got snippets of the songs or not.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »
I'm going to guess we'll get another song a little after the new year, and then another video shortly after that.  Then after the album drops in February, we'll get them every couple of weeks for the remaining tracks.  But that is purely a guess on my part.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »
Do you think the videos for other songs will come with samples from those particular songs?

We did. And I remember OTBOA being released,  then a snippet of one of the ballads (Beneath the Surface?) and Lost Not Forgotten.

Offline dream75

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
I'm going to guess we'll get another song a little after the new year, and then another video shortly after that.  Then after the album drops in February, we'll get them every couple of weeks for the remaining tracks.  But that is purely a guess on my part.

Track by track after the album is published   :mehlin
Who is interested?  ???

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »

Track by track after the album is published   :mehlin
Who is interested?  ???

Who wouldn't be interested?

I certainly don't have any interest in hearing them talk about a song I haven't yet heard, and I really don't think they're going to release all of the songs individually before the album drops.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung