Author Topic: Holy Crap all the anti Mangini You tube posts are annoying!!!  (Read 4005 times)

Offline jayvee3

Re: Holy Crap all the anti Mangini You tube posts are annoying!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
I’ve been a longtime fan of the band, and of course love many of the albums MP was involved with. But I personally feel MM is just way better - I love his style, fills and ability to compliment a song without having to say “look, here I am, I’m gonna play drums, do roars and growling vocals, be the spokesperson, do everything for the fans, produce, write songs about ungrateful fans, rope a friggn’ crocodile etc, etc”.  ;) I feel MP just lost something around 8V, and MM has just been a breath of fresh air and consummate professional. And to my ears, MM’s drums just appear better and more interesting and diverse.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »
Mangini's playing is out of control on that song. As is on most of the other songs on the album. S2N holy smokes.

I'm one of his more outspoken critics here (just as far as his drumming in DT goes, really like the dude himself) and I don't understand the philosophy that his drumming in one song or even one album will somehow invalidate my criticisms. I don't like his drumming on DT, but I really like his drumming on Illumination Theory. Does that mean my dislike of it on the rest of the album is invalid? No. I can hold both opinions. So I hope this doesn't turn into a "LOOK AT THIS CRITICS! THIS WILL SHUT YOU UP!" because for critics, such as myself, we can like something someone does, even when we dislike most of what he does.

Very good point. For example I do find parts of some Adam Sandler movies funny.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
I was going to type "it's been nine years!" but then I remembered that there's still people who bombard Yes' Facebook posts moaning about Jon Anderson. Alas.  :lol

I'm glad You-Tube wasn't around when Fly By Night came out.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
I’ve been a longtime fan of the band, and of course love many of the albums MP was involved with. But I personally feel MM is just way better - I love his style, fills and ability to compliment a song without having to say “look, here I am, I’m gonna play drums, do roars and growling vocals, be the spokesperson, do everything for the fans, produce, write songs about ungrateful fans, rope a friggn’ crocodile etc, etc”.  ;) I feel MP just lost something around 8V, and MM has just been a breath of fresh air and consummate professional. And to my ears, MM’s drums just appear better and more interesting and diverse.

Perfectly said. I 100% agree. I loved MP's drums on the begging of ITPOE but it was becoming stale. That being said, when he said he was quitting, I was done with DT, thinking he could not be replaced. I guess I bought into his hype on how much he did. Then when I heard ADTOE all my fears were gone. The band had improved!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »

Perfectly said. I 100% agree. I loved MP's drums on the begging of ITPOE but it was becoming stale. That being said, when he said he was quitting, I was done with DT, thinking he could not be replaced. I guess I bought into his hype on how much he did. Then when I heard ADTOE all my fears were gone. The band had improved!

My thoughts exactly!

I really love MM's playing and attitude, besides, he is so fun to watch. I really enjoyed what MP did for DT, but it's time to move on.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
Youtube comment section is the cesspool of the Internet. Maybe if we ignore it it will go away, and hopefully the toxic imbeciles who inhabit that cesspool will go away too. If you respond to them, directly or indirectly, and try to engage with them, they've already hooked you in and have won.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
I think it’s funny when dream theater fans accuse a band member of showing off on his playing.   I don’t know about all of you but that is literally the reason I love dream theater.  The ability to go apeshit on their instruments and “show off” while doing it within the confines of amazing prog/pop/metal songs.

That’s why I loved portnoy in the 90’s.    I do think the bands very worst stretch was portnoys last 4 albums though so maybe that “showing off” thing started to happen without the song content to back it up.

I think both drummers are incredible.   I prefer portnoy’s drumming and sound but Mangini’s stuff on the 3 singles is great so far so he may rise to portnoy level on this new album.   His speed is insane.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Youtube comment section is the cesspool of the Internet. Maybe if we ignore it it will go away, and hopefully the toxic imbeciles who inhabit that cesspool will go away too. If you respond to them, directly or indirectly, and try to engage with them, they've already hooked you in and have won.

Yes the YouTube comment section really is a fucking wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I've only been a Dream Theater fan since 2001 and Portnoy has more drum parts that get my attention (memorable) but when he left the band, I was surprised but not in tears. I do enjoy watching all the stuff with Portnoy but Mangini is The Man now. He wouldn't have been The Chosen One if he was not The Man.

I'm really looking forward to the next album and to learn about what role Mangini has on the song-writing. I'm sure we've all heard how he hasn't had the chance to really impact song-writing/structuring since he's been in the band.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Flurokazoo

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
This is really getting annoying. It's okay to like Portnoy over Mangini but I think by this point the argument has become completely irrelevant. You would think this shit would have cooled down after 8 years. I guess people just love yelling in the void.