Author Topic: Untethered Angel drum cover  (Read 2190 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Untethered Angel drum cover
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:56:25 PM »
This dude did a cover of the new single using MP's style:

https://youtu.be/NdYJE-jUd1c

Thoughts?

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: Untethered Angel drum cover
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
Don't know if this is his character or something like that, but other than he's an excellent player, that seems like unnecessary to say the least.
Will share anyway.

Edit: It appears he didn't mean that, just, of course, the comments are a magnet of Portnoylovers
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
Cymbals should be higher

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
I kept waiting for him to spit. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
I actually feel bad for liking that as much as I did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 06:27:43 PM »
He succeeds at mimicking MP  :lol

I really liked his cover of BitS :metal

It's interesting that even he has incorporated a lot of MP playing in his style, he respects and admires MM as much as MP, giving a nice rendition to both drummers.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 01:22:00 AM »
One thing it did succeed at was showing how anything extra in the song actually felt very crowded and distracting...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 01:30:58 AM »
Yeah, especially in the unison part, it felt like "look at me" which is opposite to what the other instruments are trying to achieve.  :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:31:27 AM »
Yeah, especially in the unison part, it felt like "look at me" which is opposite to what the other instruments are trying to achieve.  :lol

Mike Portnoy in a nutshell
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 03:04:06 AM »
I think there was more dynamics and a better snare sound than the original one. Nothing against MM's playing but his style is like playing every note at the same volume when it sounds a bit like machine. This guy has really MP style in his playing but it fits well for this song and I think that's the way Mangini should play it live.

And yeah, I haven't ever understood MM's snare sound, he definitely needs more low for his snare.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Addy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 05:11:09 AM »
The guy did a cool cover. Ok, his playing is a bit too busy and there's a couple of timing issues, but it's fine. His MP impersonation though... Ridiculous. He dressed like MP, the way he looks is similar, he even does the same gestures. Of course, the drum set is also the same. Portnoy is an inspiration for a lot of drummers, but stop mimicking the guy! You're not and will never be him. Find your own way!

I think there was more dynamics and a better snare sound than the original one. Nothing against MM's playing but his style is like playing every note at the same volume when it sounds a bit like machine. This guy has really MP style in his playing but it fits well for this song and I think that's the way Mangini should play it live.

And yeah, I haven't ever understood MM's snare sound, he definitely needs more low for his snare.

Yes, the drums sound more raw and natural in this cover. Thing is, such drum sound would disappear in such a busy mix. It's production and the approach taken in tracking and mixing stages. It has nothing to do with MM's playing, which can be groovy and dynamic when the music requires it. Please people, stop that "Mangini sounds like a machine" nonsense.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »
Wow the Portnoy mimicry.
Almost as if Portnoy himself covered it.
This makes me think that Mangini did the song justice.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »
The guy did a cool cover. Ok, his playing is a bit too busy and there's a couple of timing issues, but it's fine. His MP impersonation though... Ridiculous. He dressed like MP, the way he looks is similar, he even does the same gestures. Of course, the drum set is also the same. Portnoy is an inspiration for a lot of drummers, but stop mimicking the guy! You're not and will never be him. Find your own way!

Yes, the drums sound more raw and natural in this cover. Thing is, such drum sound would disappear in such a busy mix. It's production and the approach taken in tracking and mixing stages. It has nothing to do with MM's playing, which can be groovy and dynamic when the music requires it. Please people, stop that "Mangini sounds like a machine" nonsense.

Hey, don't we all start playing by mimicking someone we admire?

Offline erciccio

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
For me it's way too much "splashy"...sound chaotic even if he is playing the "right" notes.

That's why I prefer MM to MP..:)

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »
Great cover.  I didn't take it has him mimicking Portnoy at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kocak

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:41:27 AM »

Really?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 08:41:52 AM »

It was a great cover, dude can play. But you don't think he was mimicking MP? At the very least, MP was clearly a huge influence on this dude and the result was him approaching the song in a manner consistent with MP's typical style, down to the fills and cymbal work - that was very MP.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »

It was a great cover, dude can play. But you don't think he was mimicking MP? At the very least, MP was clearly a huge influence on this dude and the result was him approaching the song in a manner consistent with MP's typical style, down to the fills and cymbal work - that was very MP.

He wasn't mimicking MP, man...where's the blue beard and all the tattoos?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
For me it's way too much "splashy"...sound chaotic even if he is playing the "right" notes.

That's why I prefer MM to MP..:)

Pretty much this. 

I didn't think the Untethered Angel cover was too bad.  I checked out his Bridges in the Sky cover and that was terrible.  I mean, he did a fine job but his style totally took away from the song. 

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
I've actually seen better cover videos from this guy, songs from other albums that he "portnoys"  :lol. As some people already pointed out, too much information, completely unnecessary at times, really made me appreciate more MM's playing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »

Me too.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »

Me too.  :rollin

Every time someone says this, I picture Maddi (JP's tech) cleaning spit from the back of JP's amps, like on the bonus stuff for the Budokan DVD :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."