Author Topic: Have you ever left an artistic or sport project because of professional reasons?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

I've been in this band for more than a year and a half and we've made pretty an advance, currently we're writing music and expect to put out an album somewhere in 2019.

But 2020 is pretty much the end for my tenure there, since I'll be leaving the city to persue a master's degree, so it's kind of impossible to continue once that happens. While I'm aware that there's still a whole year+ to go, truth is time flies.

The point is, have you ever been in such a situation? How did you take it? How did you handle it? Either for academic or professional (yes I know you can be professional in these areas, but you kind of get it) reasons.
It can be either a music band, a theatrical company, a sports team, whathever. Do you consider it forsaking a dream?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I left the band I started with my childhood friends right when we started to get some serious attention. I had kind of a cliché choice to make either follow a dream that I wasn't sure I actually really wanted or would lead to anything OR quite the band I started so many years ago and move far away to study classical percussion at a folk music school that I got offered a position at.

I choose the latter for a number of reasons but mainly because I was kind of scared to follow the first dream i'm sad to say. Now in retrospect that school prepared me for further studies at higher educations in that field. I now have a masters degree in classical percussion that i'm very proud off. The journey after school and finding a fulltime job however has been a very long and rocky road with lots of ups and downs and it didn't get me where I thought I would go. Along with taking substitute jobs in various orchestras, diffrent musical projects and teaching I a couple of years ago decided to go teaching fulltime and give up my chances of getting a orchestral position. I had to sort out my finacial situation and teaching was a good way to use the knowledge I gained from my experience in the field.

I now work fulltime as a percussion teacher at a music school and I love it, not at first though but it's a job i've grown to love.

However I do think about my old band alot and missing the fun we had at rehersals and gigs.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I’ve left more bands than I’ve joined.

Not always easy, but there’s always more opportunities out there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkstarshades

How's that possible
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Spiritus

How's that possible

Is that like opening the fridge and eating more than there is?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Or shitting more times than you sat down on the toilet?  ???
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I think we've all done that at least once.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Follow your passion, and most of the time when those decisions come along, trust your instinct and you'll be fine, with very little regrets. Change is hard, and moving on from something you enjoyed will cause you to naturally second guess yourself. The fear of the unknown is powerful. Paralyzing for many. Try not to dwell on that. Instead focus on what's important to you. Be it music, or grad school. Regardless of what it is you do, do it with extreme passion.

No regrets.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think we've all done that at least once.

Beat me to the punch.   

Offline dparrott

The guitarist of the band I was in wanted us to practice more than once a week.  He lived about 45 minutes away from the rest of the band so that would be tough.  I said I didn't want to give up my full time job.  It's a good thing I didn't, the band fell apart soon after but I've been at the job now 21 years.  It's disappointing to give up on music, but life goes on with more important things.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I had to quit a bowling league 8 years ago.  I started in the league 8 years prior to that, right after college.  My dad was the team captain and he needed an extra guy, so I joined and loved it.  I wasn't the best, but I wasn't awful either.  The league was in our town, and I eventually moved about 20 miles away.  I'd leave from work, then go to my parent's house for dinner, then go to league and drive home.  It was manageable.

Then my job changed and I started commuting 50 miles to my job via public transportation (train).  The logistics were impossible to make work, so I had to quit and it was the right choice.  I've been extremely successful in this job (doubling my salary in 8 years) and would not have improved in bowling at all. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I had to leave the band I was in in Philly due to a divorce.

I get the general idea of "follow your passion", but I do sort of view that kind of approach with some skepticism.  There is a "priority" variable in there, and I'm not sure every one has that ability to prioritize "passion" over things like family, etc. to the same degree. 

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
I used to rehearse on wednesday night, at 60km of my home, having to drive the singer two ways, and it made me go to bed around 1am.
I work at 7:15am.
Needless to say I didn't last more than 18 months before asking for weekend rehearsals, they fired me.

No regret, I can't afford to loose my job :/
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/