Poll

Did you see Dream Theater on the Metropolis: 2000 tour?

Yes
No

Voting closes: September 19, 2024, 12:19:33 PM

Author Topic: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!  (Read 6203 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
Drove 25 hours from Vancouver, Canada to see both shows at House of Blues Hollywood.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
DT, the star people and Dixie Dregs. Salt lake city

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »
I missed it and have no explanation as to why.  On the first American leg of the tour, they played Wednesday, Friday and Saturday in OC/LA.  I was in the middle of my second year of law school and easily could have attended one or more of the shows.  On the second American leg, they played two shows on Sunday and Monday night.  I'm guessing the Monday was the first day of my third year of law school, so maybe that's why I missed it.  Still bums me out that I didn't see at least one night on that tour.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:50:41 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
*raises hand*

February 8, 2000. Kingsbury Hall.

Same here.  First and only DT concert, attended in Salt Lake City.  Made a Dixie Dregs fan out of me that night as well.  Had never heard of them, but man, they were on fire that night.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
I managed to catch them 6 times on that tour, 5 of which they performed the whole of SFaM...well almost. One of the shows was the infamous fire marshall gig in LA, where we were kicked out of the Palace after they shut down DT's show, literally pulling the plug on it! Good times and good memories! Hard to believe it's almost 19 years ago.

Side note: Spock's Beard opened in 2000.  What a fun band. A little bit different.  A few years later I finally got a Spock's Beard CD called Snow.  It sucked.  I honestly thought I might have gotten the name of the band wrong.  I still can't stand anything Neal Morse has done.  Did I really enjoy Spock's Beard or did I imagine it? No one knows.
FWIW, I've never been a huge Spock's Beard or Neal Morse fan myself (tho I do like Transatlantic and Flying Colors). But I got into them on that tour too. They were promoting their "V" album, which I picked up and I still really enjoy. Was quick to pick up Snow when it came out, and I could never get into that album. So if you never listened to SB's V album, give it a listen - perhaps you'll like it.

Drove 25 hours from Vancouver, Canada to see both shows at House of Blues Hollywood.
I was at both of those shows too, but you beat me on how far you traveled!   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »
I think I'm at 5 for this tour. Have to check the stubs.

New York twice (including 8/31/00)
Philly twice
South Jersey once.

I actually LIKED the Star People.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
I wish I could have attended a show on this tour, but I wasn't aware of DT yet. But the Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York DVD was played on constant rotation starting around early 2002 when I finally discovered them. I absolutely could not get enough of the entire DVD, 3 hours goes by quick when it's DT.

I cannot wait to catch them on the anniversary tour! I hope we get to see Theresa Thomason in some capacity.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
3 times (NJ & NYC x2) THE BEST OF TIMES! :metal

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
I wasn't thrilled when it was announced that SFAM was going to be played IN FULL on this upcoming tour, but after reading how many people never saw it performed, I'm glad for all those folks that they will finally get a chance (albeit without MP :tdwn which takes a LOT away from their performance - but hey, it's better than not seeing it).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
I don't think it's gonna take away anything from the performance at all.  I can watch Live Scenes from New York if I feel the need to see it with MP.  Now, I'm looking forward to it with MM.  :tup  MM is just as energetic and enthusiastic, and I love watching him play.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
I was at both of those shows too, but you beat me on how far you traveled!   :)

Cool.  Not something I'd want to do again unless I can trade driving time with at least one other person.

MP handed me a stick after the second show, not just chucked it, but handed it to me.  That was awesome.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
Yes. Unbelievable show!! Seen every album at least once since I&W.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
**Raises hand**

Atlanta, GA at the Tabernacle. I was 23. Star People and Dixie Dregs opened. Incredible concert and it is one that sticks out in my memory because that album is when I went from casually liking DT to being a full on super-fan.

I remember a guy in front of me at the show talking about how the Dixie Dregs were the best band in the world and their musicianship was the best in the world and Rod Morgenstein (he referred to him as "Hot Rod" a lot) was the best drummer in the world blah, blah, blah. He wouldn't shut up after their set. I like the Dixie Dregs too, but he was really snobbish about it.

Then DT came on and played SFAM. The guy sat there with eyes wide open and mouth open for most of the time. After Fatal Tragedy he kept saying, "That keyboard player is insane! Who the hell is that guy?" After Dance of Eternity he threw up his arms and said, "Where did these people come from?" At the end of SFAM he was blown away. He was shaking his head and saying, "Unreal! Unreal!"

I guess he became a fan that night.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2018, 03:05:20 PM »
Yes.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2018, 03:32:41 PM »
**Raises hand**

Atlanta, GA at the Tabernacle. I was 23. Star People and Dixie Dregs opened. Incredible concert and it is one that sticks out in my memory because that album is when I went from casually liking DT to being a full on super-fan.

I remember a guy in front of me at the show talking about how the Dixie Dregs were the best band in the world and their musicianship was the best in the world and Rod Morgenstein (he referred to him as "Hot Rod" a lot) was the best drummer in the world blah, blah, blah. He wouldn't shut up after their set. I like the Dixie Dregs too, but he was really snobbish about it.

Then DT came on and played SFAM. The guy sat there with eyes wide open and mouth open for most of the time. After Fatal Tragedy he kept saying, "That keyboard player is insane! Who the hell is that guy?" After Dance of Eternity he threw up his arms and said, "Where did these people come from?" At the end of SFAM he was blown away. He was shaking his head and saying, "Unreal! Unreal!"

Curious that a fan of the Dregs wouldn't have known who JR was....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DanLore

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
August 4, 2000 - The Electric Factory, Philadelphia

My brother and I were (and still are) prog guys, and went there to see Spock's Beard, and we were going to leave after their set.  My brother ran into a friend of his from high school, who was there with his teenage son, an aspiring guitarist.  He convinced us that "we had to stay and see this band!  They are amazing!"  We figured, we're here, why not.  Now I had heard of Dream Theater at that time, seeing their name on a few bootleg video lists I had come across, but had not heard note one of their material. 

When they hit the stage and broke into 'Metropolis', our jaws just dropped!  The power, the musicianship, the spitting (WTF!), the notes (sooooo many notes), we we're immediately hooked.  They were really loud that night, so loud in fact that we left before the encore, ACOS.  (I know, rookie mistake.)  We talked all the way home about what we had just witnessed.  Just an incredible band!  I went out the next day to buy their latest release, only to buy Falling Into Infinity by mistake.  I picked up SFAM the next day, and proceeded to listen to it both at home or in the car almost exclusively for the next six weeks.  After seeing DT over 20 times now, and buying essentially everything they have available since then, SFAM is still my favorite DT album, and in my personal desert island top 10.

Having never seen SFAM live in its entirety, I'm looking forward to the experience.

DanLore

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
February 26, 2000, NYC!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
It’s the only album tour (besides WDADU) that I didn’t see. They skipped Seattle that tour (and the next...but I managed to road trip to Frisco to see SDOIT).

Right now they appear to be skipping Seattle for this one too, so I’m beginning to think I’ll never get to see Scenes live.  :\

Always surprises me why DT doesn't have a bigger following up in my favorite city/location. Tons of DT fans, and they can easily play the venues there. I know the Paramount was closed for renovations for awhile, but it has been open for the last several years, hasn't it? 2800-capacity, if memory serves. If that's too large for DT, then the Moore Theatre, or even the SHowbox would work. Very strange.

My only guess is that Seattle is off the track a little bit in terms of travel. Gotta go north quite a ways.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
^^ I mean if you are able to hit San Francisco and Los Angeles on a regular basis, the cost to travel straight north to areas like Seattle and Vancouver, BC, Canada certainly isn't more than the money you can make playing in those areas.  It baffles me like that when it comes to people scheduling a tour.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
**Raises hand**

Curious that a fan of the Dregs wouldn't have known who JR was....

I know, right? And if memory serves me correctly, JR had already done the Rudess/Morgenstein project before SFAM was released.

Back to the 2019 tour, I'm glad they're doing SFAM in full for all those who hadn't seen it back in 1999-2000. I'll have to say that it may not be as "especially special" like it was back then, but I would hope it will still be good. I'm going to see them this time around. For those who saw it then and will see it in '19, I wonder what our responses will be?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
August 4, 2000 - The Electric Factory, Philadelphia

My brother and I were (and still are) prog guys, and went there to see Spock's Beard
DanLore

Just curious, how did you become a Spock's Beard fan and not know about DT? And you are in the northeast. You are probably the first person that I read on the forums that was a SB fan first and then became a DT fan.

Offline DanLore

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
I got into SB after hearing Nick D'Virgilio on the Genesis Calling All Stations album.  (42 year Genesis fan here.)  My brother had also heard the SB album Beware of Darkness and we thought they were worth checking out, so I picked up BoD and The Kindness of Strangers (which is still one of my faves) along with V.  My bro has long lost interest in SB, but still loves DT.

The internet was in its infancy back then, so DT information was not that readily available, at least to me.  (I was still doing DAT trades via padded mailers at that time.)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
Going off-topic here, but anyone here in the forum knew Dream Theater or, better yet, saw them live BEFORE I&W?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline dparrott

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2018, 12:13:23 AM »
I saw it in LA.  I think that was my first DT show.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
Going off-topic here, but anyone here in the forum knew Dream Theater or, better yet, saw them live BEFORE I&W?
There's a few of us on here who knew about the band before IaW came out. I read a review about WDaDU in RIP! magazine, and the comments about how much they were influenced by Rush (my favorite band at the time) was enough for me to pick up the album in the summer of 1989. Didn't get to see them live until the Milwaukee Summerfest gig in 1993. YtseRush however was fortunate enough to see their last show with Charlie.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2018, 03:43:29 PM »
There's a few of us on here who knew about the band before IaW came out. I read a review about WDaDU in RIP! magazine, and the comments about how much they were influenced by Rush (my favorite band at the time) was enough for me to pick up the album in the summer of 1989. Didn't get to see them live until the Milwaukee Summerfest gig in 1993. YtseRush however was fortunate enough to see their last show with Charlie.

That good fortune has not been lost on me.

Had the album in the late spring/ early summer of '89 after seeing it in The Spirit Of Rush fanzine (Issue # 8 I think.) listened to the crap out of it and hadn't heard anything else about them until I turned the corner in New York City and saw the marquee "Marillion with Dream Theatre" I was there to see my first Marillion gig without Fish and was pleasantly surprised when the band was opening. Planned to get a Marillion shirt that night, but I wasn't sure if I'd ever see Dream Theater again so I got the When Dream And Day Unite shirt instead.

I'll never forget that night.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
Attended the Phoenix show, also my first ever DT show, in Jan., 2001. There were couple transvestites at the show. James even mentioned about them a few years later in one of the dvd commentary track.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »
Yep seen it, Boston, I might be going myself This time though don't want to miss this upcoming show just not a big fan of the Orpheum .

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
I saw the second or third US leg in Chicago, when they played a regular setlist and not SFAM in full.  It's the only time I've ever seen DT.  They closed with A Change of Seasons, and as much as I love the band, I just haven't felt the need to go see them again after that show.  I would have gone to the I&W tour last year, but the timing didn't line up with events in my personal life.

Offline Aelon

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
**Raises hand**

I was also at this show.  I do remember that there was a bit of a slip up on Pull Me Under and James looked back at the band like "WTF guys?!" Beyond that, it was amazing show - driving back to Charlotte from Atlanta that night and then working the next day was no fun though. 
“And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...”

Offline pg1067

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »

Keep in mind that, before I&W, the band only played live in New York (30 shows, 19 of them as Majesty), Connecticut (2 shows) and Rhode Island (1 show).

I first became aware of DT sometime not long after WDADU was released (in March 1989).  Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime (released in May 1988) had been really successful, and some of the videos were getting more play on MTV than was typical of a "thinking man's metal band."  I recall seeing a short report about other bands you might like if you like Queensryche.  The three bands were Fates Warning (which had released No Exit in 1988 and either had just released Perfect Symmetry or was about to do so), Dream Theater (who had just released WDADU) and I think the third was Crimson Glory (who released Transcendence in November 1988).  I went out looking for these bands.  I found and bought No Exit pretty quickly and became a huge fan, and I seem to recall seeing Transcendence but not buying it.  But I couldn't find anything by DT.  For the next few years, I would look without success, and then "Pull Me Under" broke in the summer of 1992.

My first DT show was November 12, 1992 at a club in Westminster, California called The Marquee (which is now a "gentlemen's club" called The Library).  After the show, handful of fans hung out with the band in the parking lot for about half an hour (except that Kevin Moore stayed on the bus).  I got them to sign my I&W CD booklet.  Fortunately, I got KM to sign the booklet at a show about six months later on one of the subsequent legs of the tour.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
Raises hand. Porto, April 19 2000

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
March 2000 (don't remember exact date), 9:30 Club in DC, Dregs & Star People opening.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2023, 10:35:16 PM »
February 26, 2000, NYC!

Hey we were at the same show! Wild.

P.S.: This thread came up as I was Googling something and I saw the poll is still open until 2024 so I voted. That's why I've necro'd lol.