Poll

Did you see Dream Theater on the Metropolis: 2000 tour?

Yes
No

Voting closes: September 19, 2024, 12:19:33 PM

Author Topic: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!  (Read 6723 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2023, 11:38:14 AM »
Still bitter that this is the ONLY tour between IAW and TA that I didn’t see.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2023, 11:50:54 AM »
Yep

First DT show ever 8/19/2000 or 8/9/2000 ...Web Theater in Phoenix.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2023, 08:21:45 PM »
3 times (NJ, NYC & NYC). Actually, completely lost my hearing for almost 36 hours after being "on the rail" at the Tradewinds show in NJ. VERY SCARY but worth it! :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2023, 12:56:53 PM »

What was the reason? (Hope it's not too personal)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2023, 05:26:48 PM »

Didn’t come to Seattle and I couldn’t afford the road trip.

IAW, Awake, and FII tours all came to Seattle. SFAM was the first one that didn’t.

SDOIT didn’t either, but I managed a road trip to San Francisco for that one.  Then the QR/DT Summer tour and the TOT tour both had Seattle stops.

8V didn’t come to Seattle and I was really sad that I was going to miss that one, but then Setlist Scotty got me a ticket to the Score show….all I had to do was show up. Which I *still* couldn’t afford, and had to turn it down at first. But then I did some electrical work for someone who worked for Alaska Airlines, and got a stand-by ticket as payment. The rest is history.

Everything else since then up through TA came to Seattle.  I even got to see a rare headline BCSL set because I opted to go to Portland to see DT headline rather than the Seattle show opening for Iron Maiden.

D/T didn’t come to Seattle, which was disappointing. And the AVFTTOTW tour was the first, and still ONLY tour that actually came to Seattle that I didn’t see. We were still just coming out of COVID, and I just wasn’t quite ready yet.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2023, 05:54:14 PM »
8V didn’t come to Seattle and I was really sad that I was going to miss that one, but then Setlist Scotty got me a ticket to the Score show….all I had to do was show up. Which I *still* couldn’t afford, and had to turn it down at first. But then I did some electrical work for someone who worked for Alaska Airlines, and got a stand-by ticket as payment. The rest is history.
For those who don't know, tell your story about making it to the Score show since it's pretty amazing - it still blows my mind that you made it!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »
For those who don't know, tell your story about making it to the Score show since it's pretty amazing - it still blows my mind that you made it!   :biggrin:

Oh man…I wrote it down somewhere so I wouldn’t forget the details.

The short version is that, because I was flying standby, I was bumped twice. And the flight I finally got on, I very nearly didn’t. I think there was someone who was supposed to have priority over me, but everyone on the airline staff at that point knew why I was there, knew the stakes, knew that I had already been bumped twice, and knew that *this* flight was my last chance to get to the show or I would miss it altogether.  While they were sorting out who was supposed to go next, an attendant sneaked a boarding pass to me and motioned for me to get my butt on the plane. I thanked her and got on board.

I ended up arriving in front of Radio City Music Hall about 1 hour before showtime.

I even got interviewed in the lobby by one of the camera crew, and I guess (considering the circumstances) I was I bit surprised I didn’t end up in the extras of the DVD…but I was just happy to be there.

And thank you again Scotty. I can never thank you enough. Greatest concert experience of my entire lifetime!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2023, 07:03:03 AM »

Didn’t come to Seattle and I couldn’t afford the road trip.

IAW, Awake, and FII tours all came to Seattle. SFAM was the first one that didn’t.

SDOIT didn’t either, but I managed a road trip to San Francisco for that one.  Then the QR/DT Summer tour and the TOT tour both had Seattle stops.

Everything else since then up through TA came to Seattle.  I even got to see a rare headline BCSL set because I opted to go to Portland to see DT headline rather than the Seattle show opening for Iron Maiden.

D/T didn’t come to Seattle, which was disappointing. And the AVFTTOTW tour was the first, and still ONLY tour that actually came to Seattle that I didn’t see. We were still just coming out of COVID, and I just wasn’t quite ready yet.

I think I've only missed them 3 times since the SFAM tour, sometimes excluding second legs of the same tour.

SDOIT - Not a huge fan by this point.
8V - working 2 and 1/2 jobs while finishing grad school
AVFTTOTW - Already bought tickets to a bucket list band in town. The real kicker is that I almost always have to drive 3 hours to see DT but they were playing an hour and 20 minutes from me.

It's crazy they miss a big market like Seattle sometimes but I guess being in the furthest reaches of the northwest US does complicate routing sometimes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2023, 09:32:46 AM »

The short version is that, because I was flying standby, I was bumped twice. And the flight I finally got on, I very nearly didn’t. I think there was someone who was supposed to have priority over me, but everyone on the airline staff at that point knew why I was there, knew the stakes, knew that I had already been bumped twice, and knew that *this* flight was my last chance to get to the show or I would miss it altogether.  While they were sorting out who was supposed to go next, an attendant sneaked a boarding pass to me and motioned for me to get my butt on the plane. I thanked her and got on board.

I ended up arriving in front of Radio City Music Hall about 1 hour before showtime.

I even got interviewed in the lobby by one of the camera crew, and I guess (considering the circumstances) I was I bit surprised I didn’t end up in the extras of the DVD…but I was just happy to be there.

And thank you again Scotty. I can never thank you enough. Greatest concert experience of my entire lifetime!

I never heard that before.  What a great story!!!! And I'm so glad it worked out for you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2023, 09:43:23 AM »

I never heard that before.  What a great story!!!! And I'm so glad it worked out for you.

Oh trust me. There is even more to that story. I remember that I wrote it all down as soon as I got home so I wouldn’t forget any of the details. Scotty had a copy of it at one point because he wanted to show it to MP I think? (Scotty you can correct me on that if need be) but it was really long and he asked me to make it shorter, but I never felt like the short version captured the intensity of what actually happened. But maybe I should dig that out and post it. That’s probably one of the most entertaining stories that I have to tell.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2023, 02:24:53 PM »
Oh trust me. There is even more to that story. I remember that I wrote it all down as soon as I got home so I wouldn’t forget any of the details. Scotty had a copy of it at one point because he wanted to show it to MP I think? (Scotty you can correct me on that if need be) but it was really long and he asked me to make it shorter, but I never felt like the short version captured the intensity of what actually happened. But maybe I should dig that out and post it. That’s probably one of the most entertaining stories that I have to tell.
Definitely dig it up to share - I know it's worth the read! Can't say I remember wanting to share it with MP, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. But unfortunately the e-mails I have only go as far back as 2008, so I don't have it. And you're more than welcome my friend! Happy that I was able to help you have the best concert experience of your life!  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2023, 07:45:58 AM »
P.S.: This thread came up as I was Googling something and I saw the poll is still open until 2024 so I voted. That's why I've necro'd lol.
Thank you sincerely for posting this explanation.  :)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.