Author Topic: Let's Make a DT Song Retirement Set List  (Read 2705 times)

Offline EPIC Outro

Let's Make a DT Song Retirement Set List
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:10 AM »
Hi all,

I signed up for this forum back in 2013, and after five long years of procrastination, I've finally decided to post something!

I love reading all the "what if?" set list scenarios people come up with here, so I figured I would start one of my own:

What if Dream Theater decided to do a special, one-off Evening With show where all the songs played would be performed for the final time? A retirement of sorts for certain B-sides, rarities, demos, alternate versions, and other deep tracks spanning everything from the Majesty Era to the present? But more than just giving a final acknowledgment to some obscure tracks that might never otherwise see the light of day, this concert would be an opportunity for the band to retire some popular songs that might simply no longer mesh with DT's Live identity going forward. This can include songs that are no longer timely, or that have perceived baggage attached to them. And there are always songs that are amazing on the album, but maybe never translated "Live" as well as others.

This show would, hopefully, be recorded for posterity.

Naturally, this is just a hypothetical set. I personally hope DT will keep every single one of their songs in rotation 'till the end of time! But just for fun, here's my crack at such a set list. Let's see everyone else's as well!

Set 1:
Honor Thy Father
Light Fuse and Get Away
Innocence Faded
You Not Me
The Way It Used To Be
Never Enough
Cover My Eyes
Another Day
The Best of Times

Set 2:
The Great Debate
Profits of War
Raw Dog
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seaker
A Vision
Take Away My Pain (Demo Version)
Raise the Knife

Encore:
Take the Time

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Let's Make a DT Song Retirement Set List
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:57:01 AM »
The Dark Eternal Night is missing from your set, so that would mean they'd keep playing that, so I don't like your imaginary show.

:biggrin:

More seriously, you balanced it out pretty well, but I have no interest in hearing Honor Thy Father, The Great Debate, Raw Dog and A Vision. The Best of Times will probably never be played anyway.

I'd actually dig however to hear Innocence Faded, You Not Me, Cover My Eyes and Raise the Knife. Take the Time is always fun to hear but if it kills James it's not worth it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:09:23 AM »
I've never heard Profits of War before, and they're retiring it already?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
Hi all,

I signed up for this forum back in 2013, and after five long years of procrastination, I've finally decided to post something!

I love reading all the "what if?" set list scenarios people come up with here, so I figured I would start one of my own:

What if Dream Theater decided to do a special, one-off Evening With show where all the songs played would be performed for the final time? A retirement of sorts for certain B-sides, rarities, demos, alternate versions, and other deep tracks spanning everything from the Majesty Era to the present? But more than just giving a final acknowledgment to some obscure tracks that might never otherwise see the light of day, this concert would be an opportunity for the band to retire some popular songs that might simply no longer mesh with DT's Live identity going forward. This can include songs that are no longer timely, or that have perceived baggage attached to them. And there are always songs that are amazing on the album, but maybe never translated "Live" as well as others.

This show would, hopefully, be recorded for posterity.

Naturally, this is just a hypothetical set. I personally hope DT will keep every single one of their songs in rotation 'till the end of time! But just for fun, here's my crack at such a set list. Let's see everyone else's as well!

Set 1:
Honor Thy Father
Light Fuse and Get Away
Innocence Faded
You Not Me
The Way It Used To Be
Never Enough
Cover My Eyes
Another Day
The Best of Times

Set 2:
The Great Debate
Profits of War
Raw Dog
Don't Look Past Me
Status Seaker
A Vision
Take Away My Pain (Demo Version)
Raise the Knife

Encore:
Take the Time
I would actually really enjoy that setlist!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »

Thank you! I would love to see some of these songs live. As it stands, I was super fortunate to see Raise the Knife live many years ago. It was one of the highlights of my DT concert-going experiences.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
I really hope Innocence Faded would not be retired, but it doesn't seem to be a fan favourite and might be quite tough for James to nail night after night these days.

If we're talking about songs they won't play live again, Anna Lee, Just Let Me Breathe and Repentance are pretty much safe bets. And I think I've read James doesn't want to play Disappear because it is so emotional for him.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
I really hope Innocence Faded would not be retired, but it doesn't seem to be a fan favourite and might be quite tough for James to nail night after night these days.

If we're talking about songs they won't play live again, Anna Lee, Just Let Me Breathe and Repentance are pretty much safe bets. And I think I've read James doesn't want to play Disappear because it is so emotional for him.

I hope that part about Disappear isn't true. That's one of my all time favorite songs and I would love to see it live one day. But I can understand if James feels that way. That songs hits hard.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
I'd travel far and wide for this one-off show. 

The Christmas '98/Cleaning Out the Closet show at Toad's Place still ranks as one of my all-time top attended shows.  So a "Moratorium" show (or tour) would be right up my alley.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
The best farewell tour would be one that is certain to finish off James LaBrie once and for all, and for that purpose I've considered the next:

Metropolis Pt1
Take the Time
Another Day
Learning to Live
Surrounded
Voices
Scarred
The Spirit Carries On
Pull me Under
The Path that Divides

Please add more.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
I don't want any songs to be retired.  I like there being the possibility that they could play anything.  Even if they're not mixing up the setlists night after night anymore, there's a least some good variety from one tour to the next, and I don't think anything should be taken off of the table completely.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 04:26:48 PM »
That set looks really cool! However, I think that, instead of retiring songs they haven't played too much, they should retire songs they've played A LOT, or that are very difficult for James to sing, like:

As I Am
Pull Me Under
The Spirit Carries On
Another Day
Take The Time
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »

As I Am, Pull Me Under, and The Spirit Carries On are songs that go over incredibly well live and I feel James pulls them off well. While DT might rest them for awhile, I don't think they'd do away with them forever. But you have a unique take on this sort of concert and I dig it :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
As I wrote in another thread, the notion of formally "retiring" songs seems silly, and the notion of having a single show to commemorate doing this seems....well...absurd.

You've basically collected some or all of my bottom 5 DT songs, added songs that weren't good enough to make it on any album, and created a set list that would virtually kill James.  I wouldn't go near a show with this set list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
To each their own. Naturally, these sorts of tracks wouldn't appeal to everyone, but for me I feel there is some real gold in the rarities and in some cases, like Raise the Knife, I feel the song is as good or better than what made it to the album.

Some of my favorite live moments have been when DT busted out an unexpected rarity at a show. Even if they don't ever give us a full show of songs like that, I do hope they won't shy away from sprinkling these lesser known songs into their sets from time to time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
Some of my favorite live moments have been when DT busted out an unexpected rarity at a show. Even if they don't ever give us a full show of songs like that, I do hope they won't shy away from sprinkling these lesser known songs into their sets from time to time.

I agree. It's fun to see some rarities added to the set instead of just the classics and/or fan favorites.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
While I wouldn't want these to be retired, they will probably not be played much (if at all) in reality, for various reasons. Set is not in any particular order...

I'd actually really like to see one of the sets be all instrumental, and they could play all of these...
Eve
Barfbag
Moon Bubbles
Erotomania
Slow Motion
Mission Impossible
Bombay Vindaloo
Innocence Faded Jam
Funky Paris '93 Jam (no idea if this had a name...)
Easter Egg
Lost Without You
A Crack In The Mirror
Gladiator Theme
Awake Jam (again, no idea if this has an official name; played in late 94 and/or early 95)

The other set would include these plus some others of course...
Don't Look Past Me
Innocence Faded
Raise The Knife
Blind Faith
Take The Time
Another Day
Never Enough
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
(I'm mostly thinking of songs that have traditionally been hard for James to sing here; several of these are actually some of my favorite DT songs...)

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
While I wouldn't want these to be retired, they will probably not be played much (if at all) in reality, for various reasons. Set is not in any particular order...

I'd actually really like to see one of the sets be all instrumental, and they could play all of these...
Eve
Barfbag
Moon Bubbles
Erotomania
Slow Motion
Mission Impossible
Bombay Vindaloo
Innocence Faded Jam
Easter Egg
Lost Without You
A Crack In The Mirror
Gladiator Theme
Awake Jam (again, no idea if this has an official name; played in late 94 and/or early 95)

Don't Look Past Me
Innocence Faded
Raise The Knife
Blind Faith
Take The Time
Another Day
Never Enough
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
(I'm mostly thinking of songs that have traditionally been hard for James to sing here; several of these are actually some of my favorite DT songs...)

Wow. There are songs in your first set I never even knew existed.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »

Eve
Barfbag
Moon Bubbles
Erotomania
Slow Motion
Mission Impossible
Bombay Vindaloo
Innocence Faded Jam
Easter Egg
Lost Without You
A Crack In The Mirror
Gladiator Theme

Don't Look Past Me
Innocence Faded
Raise The Knife
Blind Faith
Take The Time
Another Day
Never Enough
Misunderstood
The Great Debate

Wow. There are songs in your first set I never even knew existed.

Some of the things listed in the instrumental list are jams that were only played during a couple shows 20-25 years ago and which I'd bet good money even JP and JM couldn't identify by name.  I'm guessing the list came from the "list of DT songs" on Wikipedia and/or some really old bootlegs, which makes it at least possible that some of the names were simply made up by whomever released the bootleg.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »
I had this thought time ago, although I don't have a setlist for that situation. But, I think that Finally Free would be a very good closer for that situation.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »

It would kill me if they ever retired Finally Free. It's one of my top ten songs from them.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
Some of the things listed in the instrumental list are jams that were only played during a couple shows 20-25 years ago and which I'd bet good money even JP and JM couldn't identify by name.  I'm guessing the list came from the "list of DT songs" on Wikipedia and/or some really old bootlegs, which makes it at least possible that some of the names were simply made up by whomever released the bootleg.

I compiled the list from instrumental tracks I've gathered over the years. I know some were actually named by the band, some had no officially released  title, and some I have no idea. For example Petrucci wrote "Barfbag" on a plane flight on, you guessed it, a barfbag...so that was the title given.

Those who enjoy LTE should definitely check out these tracks.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »

I hope that part about Disappear isn't true. That's one of my all time favorite songs and I would love to see it live one day. But I can understand if James feels that way. That songs hits hard.
Disappear isn't autobiographical - it's fictional - so probably isn't one that he has a lot of personal investment in.

“Disappear is a lyric that was inspired by seeing a young couple in a mall. They looked like newlyweds and for most people including themselves they had the whole world and many years in their possession. I had a striking thought, what if all of this came to crushing halt when one of them was found to have a terminal disease? How would the one left behind deal with and express their experience and loss?”

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=430.msg5969#msg5969

The real reason for Disappear being rare is quite mundane. Apparently... Mike Portnoy wanted it to be rare, because he likes when bands have rarities. Don't have a citation for that one - it's one of those things I vaguely remember but Google isn't helping me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
If at all, James' commitment to the song is remarkable - from the lyrics and his performance I was sure that he was talking about his mother.

And I remember as well that Portnoy thing about the rarity, so it's not that you imagined it Rob.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 01:14:53 AM »
One song from each of their 28 studio albums

Offline Evai

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »

The real reason for Disappear being rare is quite mundane. Apparently... Mike Portnoy wanted it to be rare, because he likes when bands have rarities. Don't have a citation for that one - it's one of those things I vaguely remember but Google isn't helping me.

I think MP just isn't a fan of doing slow songs live. Disappear and SDV got rare because they lack balls & chunk
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
If that thing about the rarity is true, then that's such a lame reason to pull out a great song.
But again, the entire band agreed with him and didn't say anything as far as we know so it's also their fault.

I do enjoy fixed setlists more than random ones.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
Disappear and SDV got rare because they lack balls & chunk

SDV got rare because it was a "Kevin Song" and all the guys "agreed" they shouldn't play it live. Until one guy left, and then the other guys could voice their own opinions and it made it in to the set lists.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ruba

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »

Disappear isn't autobiographical - it's fictional - so probably isn't one that he has a lot of personal investment in.

-- --

Oh ok, I stand corrected.