Author Topic: So PETA wants to change everyday language  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

So PETA wants to change everyday language
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
https://twitter.com/peta/status/1070066047414345729

This has been around for a few days and there has already been a response to the obviously extremely negative criticism they've been getting (which I think they removed, can't locate it, if someone can please share).

But with all due honesty, what are your thoughts about this?

Btw, I highly recommend reading answers :lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: So PETA wants to change everyday language
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
Can you summarize what the issue is rather than just providing a link? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
Can you summarize what the issue is rather than just providing a link?

PETA is an animal rights organization, and they posted an image suggesting a change in everyday quotes as to remove "speciesism" from language, with rather ridiculous examples that don't even work the same way (analogies like changing "Be the Guinea Pig" for "Be the Test Tube" don't work the same way, both things don't perform the same function) or suggesting feeding birds with scone, which isn't... suggested.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
We know what PETA is.  But we cannot tell just from your post what the specific issue is that they are trying to accomplish that you are calling out.  We can't join in in properly ripping them if you don't tell us why.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
Don't they have bigger fish to fry?

[i confess, I didn't come up with that myself]
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
 :lol

seems kind of ridiculous if you try to force this but making such a suggestion isn't such a big deal but the feed a fed horse is kind of funny

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »
Don't they have bigger fish to fry?

[i confess, I didn't come up with that myself]

:lol  Nice.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who wants to be offended.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
Fuck this shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
How many vegans does it take to change a light bulb?

None. Vegans can't change anything.

You have your answer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
Oh man now im reading the twitter and responses  :lol the picture of bacon almost made me spit up my water  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
Speaking of bacon, my wife and I went to an ugly sweater holiday party this last weekend where there was a white elephant gift exchange.  As is to be expected, most of the gifts were gag gifts of one sort or another.  But somebody had gifted a 5 pound slab of bacon!  I believe that sucker got stolen immediately and reached the steal limit (house rules were 2 steals per gift, and then that gift is locked down) in record time.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
This is awesome  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Speaking of bacon, my wife and I went to an ugly sweater holiday party this last weekend where there was a white elephant gift exchange.  As is to be expected, most of the gifts were gag gifts of one sort or another.  But somebody had gifted a 5 pound slab of bacon!  I believe that sucker got stolen immediately and reached the steal limit (house rules were 2 steals per gift, and then that gift is locked down) in record time.

For a white elephant gift, I once gave a trout that had been in my freezer for a decade. I wrapped it up super fancy and it was the first present chosen.

My sister punched me in the arm. Really hard.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »

For a white elephant gift, I once gave a trout that had been in my freezer for a decade. I wrapped it up super fancy and it was the first present chosen.

My sister punched me in the arm. Really hard.

:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
Why do you have a decade old frozen trout in the first place   :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
I approach this the same way as I do "such and such files lawsuit against such and such for ridiculous reason". Anyone can sue anyone for anything, it doesn't mean anything. Actually getting somewhere with things is another matter. Of course this is what PETA wants, but I've seen people react elsewhere to it as if they've got it enacted into law and the SS has been enlisted to go door to door and enforce it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
Why do you have a decade old frozen trout in the first place   :lol

I was going to ask that same question, but I decided it is actually more fun not knowing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
Well, you know. You go catch fish, bring them home, eat a couple and wrap one up in foil and put it in the freezer. Then your psycho ex-wife buys a giant box of corn dogs at Sam's Club and pushes the fish to the back of the freezer. It takes the kids a few years to eat the corn dogs and by then the fish is buried in frost behind the elk roast that your redneck employee got you a few years ago, that you didn't really want, but were too polite to tell him no. Etc. Etc.

Then, you and the new wife are cleaning out the freezer one day and she lifts it up carefully between her thumb and forefinger and asks, "What the christ-on-a-crutch is this?" So I tell her it must be a fish I caught about 10 years ago and she makes like to throw it away. Suddenly, I get this idea about white elephant gifts and stop her.

:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
I hereby retract my previous post.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
 :lol I wonder what else has been stocking up in the back of the freezer since that last clean

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
I approach this the same way as I do "such and such files lawsuit against such and such for ridiculous reason". Anyone can sue anyone for anything, it doesn't mean anything. Actually getting somewhere with things is another matter. Of course this is what PETA wants, but I've seen people react elsewhere to it as if they've got it enacted into law and the SS has been enlisted to go door to door and enforce it.

I think the reason people are pissed is that PETA said that using the original phrases are as bad as saying n***** or f***** (racist and homophobic slurs, respectively)...that is, uhh, going to rub people the wrong way.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who wants to be offended.

:spitcoffee:

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »

Edit: Also, this, which I'm pretty sure I've posted on this forum at some point before:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:39:10 PM by jasc15 »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
If I ever hear someone say "Feed two birds with one scone," I'll punch them (remember, I'm short, so that punch could be a good one).

And if I ever hear someone say "Be the test tube," I'll probably just laugh at them. Hard.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
This is actually pretty clever on PETA's part. They've already accomplished primary goal. People are talking about them. As fun as it is to bag on PETA they're not so dumb as to think they're going to change language in this country, and they realize that this would be the subject of ridicule. That was the object of the exercise.

And swing a dead cat has always been a favorite of mine.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Speaking of bacon, my wife and I went to an ugly sweater holiday party this last weekend where there was a white elephant anonymous inexpensive gift exchange.  As is to be expected, most of the gifts were gag gifts of one sort or another.  But somebody had gifted a 5 pound slab of bacon!  I believe that sucker got stolen immediately and reached the steal limit (house rules were 2 steals per gift, and then that gift is locked down) in record time.

Fixed that for ya before the PETA lawsuit...

Oh, and they also wanted to make the British town of Wool to change it's name, and got it totally wrong.  Surprise.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/25/world/europe/uk-peta-wool-village.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:04:41 PM by Chris Hinton »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »
Ive never eaten meat and only do dairy once in a blue moon, but i no longer identify as a vegan because of things like this.

Also, i think el barto hit the nail on the head.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
It's funny to me how there were all these social justice causes who campaigned for different language use and it all got, in the very least, seriously debated, if not outright adopted, and then every time vegans try to piggyback on that success and say "well actually, this aspect of animal life is similar to human oppression, so if you care about that, you'll care about this!", and people laugh at it.

Because it's hilarious. Should I stop saying words that are offensive to groups of people because of their immutable characteristics? Yes, because that's rude and I'm not a rude person. Should I stop saying I'm going to beat a dead horse? I am not beating any horses and there is no horse alive who can understand that!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
Didn't read the article. I'm assuming the chart actually came from Peta then? I didn't see "Fuck a Duck" on there. Is it because it could be good for the duck too? Not that I'd actually know anything about that.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 11:47:17 PM »
I agree with the idea that changing language can help to change attitudes, but that's a long process that takes more than a little chart... And these are just fucking stupid replacements.
Also, to me "guinea pig" has a negative connotation (i.e. "I feel like I'm just your guinea pig when we make passionate butt love and then you go home to your wife") so changing it doesn't make sense.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 05:22:29 AM »
I've used guinea pig describing myself. Intent is what really matters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
This thread is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Yeah, seems like the horse has left the barn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol