Author Topic: CHANGED--NOW ABOUT NINTENDO SWITCH - Video game console question  (Read 1358 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
CHANGED--NOW ABOUT NINTENDO SWITCH - Video game console question
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Let me preface this by admitting that I am a fogey and completely own my fogey status.  I am VERY out of the loop on video game consoles.  My mom told me she just bought this for the kids for Christmas:  https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Minecraft-Customize-Controller/dp/B07KMKKH8W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544206532&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=xbox+one+s+minecraft&psc=1

Being very NOT-in-the-know, I have a couple of questions:

1.  I know the Xbox gaming systems have been around for awhile now.  I don't know what the latest version is.  So I don't know which version's games this system will support.  I want to get a game or two that my oldest will like (the two others will LOVE the Mindcraft stuff, but my oldest isn't really into it anymore).  The description says something about Xbox 360 support.  I don't know what that means.  Can you guys explain to me which games are supported?

2.  Looks like this only comes with one controller.  I am assuming it supports multiple controllers.  Do you guys know how many it will support and which ones so I can buy another one or two?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:42:28 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video game console question (Xbox) for you gamers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
Its part of the current generation of consoles, and the 3rd generation of xbox consoles (The first being Xbox and then Xbox 360)

It can play Xbox and Xbox 360 games and here's the list (The 360 list is a lot longer than the original xbox list)

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

Since its all wireless, I think that it can do more than 2 controllers, but if that's wrong someone please update that part. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Get NBA Live or NBA 2k, so I can run you and your Warriors out of the gym with the Wolves.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
So "Xbox One" is the latest generation?  And not the first generation, as a "One" in the name might otherwise imply?  :dunno:  Okay, I guess I can live with that.  :lol

So that said, my takeaway is basically that it will support ANY game for ANY generation of Xbox platforms, correct?

And as for the controllers, will it ONLY support wireless controllers, or others as well?

EDIT:  Regarding the NBA games, yeah, Matthew might like those.  I'm going to hit Dimple and see what they have used that looks good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »
Yeah, you'll probably want another controller (wireless is best) so your kids can play Minecraft together.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »
Should be up to 4 controllers, but many games don't support split screen like the used to, but you'll probably definitely want at least a second controller.

I had no idea that the Xbox 1 had such a huge support for the old games.  I knew they did that for some games awhile ago, but I haven't touched my xbox 1 in at least 3 years so I'm not up to date with how large that library has become.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
So "Xbox One" is the latest generation?  And not the first generation, as a "One" in the name might otherwise imply?  :dunno:  Okay, I guess I can live with that.  :lol

So that said, my takeaway is basically that it will support ANY game for ANY generation of Xbox platforms, correct?

And as for the controllers, will it ONLY support wireless controllers, or others as well?

EDIT:  Regarding the NBA games, yeah, Matthew might like those.  I'm going to hit Dimple and see what they have used that looks good.

Yeah, they suck at naming conventions. Compare that with Playstation 4 which is the 4th playstation... go figure. This is the general  xbox breakdown:

Original Xbox  (2000-2005)
Xbox 360 (2005-2013)
Xbox One (2013 to present)

But anyway. As far as backwards compatibility goes, if its not on that list, its not supported. That list has a lot of them, but not all. And that list is limited in regard to original xbox games.

If you have USB controller, it will plug into the console.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:56 AM »

Reminded me of that:

:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »
Okay, complete change of plans.  For whatever reason, my oldest REALLY wants a Nintendo Switch.  He made it clear that he does not want an Xbox.  So I'm looking into those instead.  He NEVER asks for anything, so I have no problem giving him what he really wants.  (and the two younger ones don't really care--ANY game system is cool as far as they are concerned)  It is a bit different from the old school consoles.  Can they handle additional controllers?  Or do you just buy a second Switch and link them?  It's a bit of an odd system to me.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Okay, complete change of plans.  For whatever reason, my oldest REALLY wants a Nintendo Switch.  He made it clear that he does not want an Xbox.  So I'm looking into those instead.  He NEVER asks for anything, so I have no problem giving him what he really wants.  (and the two younger ones don't really care--ANY game system is cool as far as they are concerned)  It is a bit different from the old school consoles.  Can they handle additional controllers?  Or do you just buy a second Switch and link them?  It's a bit of an odd system to me.

The Switch can support multiple controllers, but I would suggest doing research on this system so you can see what the controllers are capable of and all of the different controller options for it. Nintendo put a lot of focus on adaptability with this system, and the controllers are no different. They can do a lot of cool things. The system itself comes with two controllers called joy cons, but I would suggest getting another two packs of two joy cons and three of something called a “joy con grip”, which I will put a link to at the bottom of my post. It’s a really great system that can do a lot, and you and your kids will have an absolute blast playing with it.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-174-switch-joy-con-153-charging-grip/-/A-52180893?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Electronics_Priority%2BShopping&adgroup=Electronics_Priority+TCINs&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=s&device=m&location=9004155&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Electronics_Priority+Shopping&adgroup=Electronics_Priority%20TCINs&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=s&device=m&location=9004155&gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFexUc59nNeMOO2kVNPfIyRBfqXZf_G9zu_x6NwoC7d3W6owv4W_CnkxoC1x0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ErHaO

Re: CHANGED--NOW ABOUT NINTENDO SWITCH - Video game console question
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
Well, some basics:

-The Switch is both a handheld/tablet device (think Gameboy) and a console (like, say the Xbox).
You can "dock" the handheld/tablet and it will use the television. And you can take the unit out of the dock and it seamlessly transitions to being a tablet/handheld with it's own screen.

-You can take off the controller units from the devide (called "joycons"), which can function as two separate smaller controllers, depending on which game (but this is limited. For multiplayer, it is best to have two full controllers). Or you can use them combined as a traditional controller. So in summary, when you have a Switch, you can dock it, click off the controllers, and use it as you would use an Xbox. 

-You can most definitely buy additional controllers and play multiplayer on a single Switch.
You have two official options: Buy an additional "classic controller", which is basically a traditional one like, say, the Xbox has. The other option is another pair of joycons (the same things included with the device), which function as a controller but can also be separated and used for some other stuff (they have Wii motion controls built in, for example, and can be clicked onto the Switch). Because they have more possibilities, I'd say a second pair of joycons is the best option. All the controllers use bluetooth, so everything is wireless.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:04:37 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
And in regard to the games side of things, He will probably want Super Smash bros Ultimate. Its the new hotness

Zelda: Breath of the wild would also be a good game to get him if he wants it

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
I’m 95% sure we are getting a switch so I’m following.
I don’t know what to put here anymore