Author Topic: Riffs That Annoy You.  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Riffs That Annoy You.
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 02:26:41 AM »
Anything that is just one note/chord played in odd meter or strange accents. Djent I’m looking at you

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »
Just about any and every Reggae riff, which is pretty much the same riff in every song. At least to my ears.

Yep. In the main, you only ever need to hear one reggae song and you've heard them all. The only one I've heard that sound notably different to me is Bob Marley's Could You Be Loved, which is more upbeat than most reggae songs.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »
I wonder if a lot of these hatreds are just because you hear them everywhere? Familiarity breeds contempt and all...

I can see that being a case for me. I already mentioned Enter Sandman which I'm totally sick and tired of, but also the fact that it's possibly the best-known Metallica riff annoys me. Similarly, Paranoid annoys me somewhat, because it's overplayed and a rather boring riff. Both Metallica and Black Sabbath have so many better riffs in spades...

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Sweet Home Alabama.

Don't know if there is a riff that gets me to change radio stations quicker than it. I usually catch myself always saying 'Turn It Off' when Van Zant says 'Turn It Up' right at the beginning of the song and am on to a different station. Can't stand that riff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
I'm with you in the southern rock thing.  Same with Ramblin' Man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
This is cheating, as it's not one particular riff but rather the entire song, but Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling. I never really cared for it before, but thanks to seeing the GOTG trailer eleventy billion times, that song's intro is death to my ears.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »
From the "not sure if this counts" category, ZZ Top's La Grange. Mainly because of its ubiquity. I listen to Bruce Pitchard a lot on YouTube and all his clips start with the beginning of that song. I have to skip ahead 20 seconds each time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:17 AM »
Not "riffs" as in guitar riffs, but I've always despised the main theme in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

we can't be friends.

T-ski, let's go get beer and talk smack about DTA behind his back.  "Baker Street" is almost perfect in every way.  I even like the "bongos".

Ugh...it's just so cheesy. Fittingly, the most bland rock band on the planet (Foo Fighters) covered it so that makes me hate it even more.

For what it’s worth, I agree on the Foo Fighters.  I get why people like Dave Grohl but it hasn’t connected with me.  I feel like in 20 years he’ll be considered “Phil Collins” (in quotes because I mean the cliche not the man).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Just about any and every Reggae riff, which is pretty much the same riff in every song. At least to my ears.

You need to look up the Eddie Murphy skit from SNL where he plays the lead singer of a reggae band that plays at a VFA or some such meeting.  It's one of the most hilarious things I ever saw.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Bad to the Bone, or any similar repetitive blues riff.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55:12 PM »
Bad to the Bone, or any similar repetitive blues riff.

duh-neh-nuh-neh-nuh