Author Topic: Riffs That Annoy You.  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Riffs That Annoy You.
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
I'm talking guitar, bass, or piano riffs that annoy you. Even if they don't necessarily suck, maybe it's the melody, tone, or what it's associated with..

I'm gonna start with "Seven Nation Army".  Not because it's simple, but because that melody line annoys me to no end and repeats itself so much. I think the Baltimore Ravens crowd ruined for me even more.  I also was in a cover band at one time and I was forced to learn the song, which I boycotted later because I hated playing that riff..

Any thoughts?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Riffs That Annoy You.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
Smells Like Teen Spirit riff.

Something about it. Dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
Can't think of any.  And I don't think I've ever heard Seven Nation Army.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
The main riff of Symphony of Destruction. I love Megadeth and rest of that song is very good, but to me it seems like Mustaine attempted to write his own Enter Sandman (I almost hate that riff too, but purely because I've heard it too many times. When I was 12 years old it was the best thing ever).

Yes. I dislike that song and it pretty much has put me off for Nirvana. I don't really find anything remotely interesting about that song and it always raises my blood pressure to see it on "best rock songs of all time"-lists.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:42:44 PM by Ruba »

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Should I stay or should I go! I hate that riff! it really annoys me for some reason.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »

Agreed on this.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
Ohh, most of the riffs from Angels of Broken Things by PoS.

Just the most meh feeling use of an odd time signature.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »
Should I stay or should I go! I hate that riff! it really annoys me for some reason.
Agreed!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good".

Of course, nearly everything about that song annoys me.  The verse riff.  The synthy interlude.  The inane lyrics.  The awful singing and vocal melody.  Really, the guitar solo is just about the only slightly redemptive thing about that song.

Good call on "Should I Stay..."  Hardly even a riff.  Two chords strummed with straight eighths for a measure.  Woo.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
Eye of the Tiger

The Final Countdown

boy, I hate both of these songs
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good".

Of course, nearly everything about that song annoys me.  The verse riff.  The synthy interlude.  The inane lyrics.  The awful singing and vocal melody.  Really, the guitar solo is just about the only slightly redemptive thing about that song.

Totally agree!! I like a lot of Joe Walsh songs, but that song has always kind of annoyed me. I do like the acoustic sections before each verse, but that is one song where Walsh's quirky voice is a major detriment.

Offline Adami

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »

The Final Countdown

That's my alarm. Perfect alarm really. Wakes you the hell up and you are in a rush to turn it off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DTA

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
Not "riffs" as in guitar riffs, but I've always despised the main theme in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty and the organ part in Light My Fire by The Doors.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Not "riffs" as in guitar riffs, but I've always despised the main theme in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

we can't be friends.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »
I'm not a fan of heavy riffs saturated with a lot of chorus,  the tone of it doesn't sound right. An example is No More Tears and other songs off that album, very cool riffs but too much effect.  The later Van Halen material has a lot of this too, and EVH is one of my favorite guitar players.
 This is why I think Iron Maiden has a more organic guitar sound and better tone than Judas Priest.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:23:38 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »
Not "riffs" as in guitar riffs, but I've always despised the main theme in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

we can't be friends.

T-ski, let's go get beer and talk smack about DTA behind his back.  "Baker Street" is almost perfect in every way.  I even like the "bongos".   

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
Song 2, Blur. Whoo-hoo.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »

I'm gonna start with "Seven Nation Army".

First thing I thought of before opening the thread.

Can't think of any.  And I don't think I've ever heard Seven Nation Army.

Is housing available on the planet you're on?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
My votes:
The steel drums in "Love The One You're With".
Those repeating drum patterns in "Always Something There To Remind Me"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
And I don't think I've ever heard Seven Nation Army.

I'd bet good money you have.  It's just that 75% of the world knows the riff and absolutely nothing else from the song.

Nothing immediately came to mind for me either, which is surprising because I find a lot of music annoying.  I guess it's just not particular riffs that I find annoying.  I'm sure I'll think of something later when I'm away from my computer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »
Agreed!

Agreed too! maybe not the riff itself, but the song and the way the lyrics are sung are for whatever reason annoying.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »
I wonder if a lot of these hatreds are just because you hear them everywhere? Familiarity breeds contempt and all...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »

I'd bet good money you have.  It's just that 75% of the world knows the riff and absolutely nothing else from the song.

I just checked it out on YouTube.  I'm pretty sure I have NEVER heard that song before today.  And I'm not sure when or where I would have even had the opportunity to hear it, unless it was featured on some tv show or sporting event that I happened to be into.  As for the song itself, kinda cool and catchy.  And I like the riff (although it isn't really a "riff"--it's just a repeat chord progression).  I can dig it, other than the annoying slide whistle type sound at about 2:30.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »

I just checked it out on YouTube.  I'm pretty sure I have NEVER heard that song before today.  And I'm not sure when or where I would have even had the opportunity to hear it, unless it was featured on some tv show or sporting event that I happened to be into.  As for the song itself, kinda cool and catchy.  And I like the riff (although it isn't really a "riff"--it's just a repeat chord progression).  I can dig it, other than the annoying slide whistle type sound at about 2:30.
I'm glad you found something positive about the song, and didn't go by my opinion.  You are right about the sporting events, the Baltimore Ravens crowd is always chanting the main riff and some college teams use it too. 
 The melody and repetitive nature of the riff just makes me cringe for some reason. How a band gets so much noteriety from such a song leaves me puzzled, kind of like Don't Worry, Be Happy..lol
 I guess there's something to be said for catchy and simple,  yet Seven Nation Army is annoying and sounds like something a grade school-ish entry level garage band  would come up with..

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
That was the unofficial soundtrack to Italy winning the World Cup in 2006  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
Dream Theater - Untethered Angel

:neverusethis:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
...yet Seven Nation Army ...  sounds like something a grade school-ish entry level garage band  would come up with..

That isn't necessarily a "bad" thing.  One doesn't have to be graduate-level musical prodigy to come up with music that is fun to listen to or that has artistic merit.  If you don't like it, that's cool.  But I think a lot of musicians would find your concept of what makes music good/bad to be narrow minded and somewhat insulting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
I may be way off base here, but wasn't that the point of the White Stripes? Isn't their genre literally garage band?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
I may be way off base here, but wasn't that the point of the White Stripes? Isn't their genre literally garage band?

I love Jack White in The Raconteurs but can't stand anything from the White Stripes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
...yet Seven Nation Army ...  sounds like something a grade school-ish entry level garage band  would come up with..

That isn't necessarily a "bad" thing.  One doesn't have to be graduate-level musical prodigy to come up with music that is fun to listen to or that has artistic merit.  If you don't like it, that's cool.  But I think a lot of musicians would find your concept of what makes music good/bad to be narrow minded and somewhat insulting.
Yeah you're actually right about that and forgive me for my cynical thoughts.  I never said however, that you have to be at grad level or musical prodigy to be good song writers. There are many great simple songs and riffs that I really like.
 The opening riff to Rock You Like a Hurricane, simple yet powerful and catchy.  Seven Nation Army riff just gets on my nerves, but I should at least give them credit for writing a hit anthem even if I don't like it..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
That's cool.

Oh, and I have to give some props to you.  This is probably the second post of mine you have responded to where I realized retroactively that it could have easily been taken as an intended insult to you (even though that is not what I intended).  I appreciate that you did not take it that way and responded thoughtfully instead of going on the attack.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
That's cool.

Oh, and I have to give some props to you.  This is probably the second post of mine you have responded to where I realized retroactively that it could have easily been taken as an intended insult to you (even though that is not what I intended).  I appreciate that you did not take it that way and responded thoughtfully instead of going on the attack.

I'll handle the attacks on you bosk, no worries.  :tup
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »
Thanks bosk!  It's good to try to be humble and learn from others when they make a suggestion. I try to take things to heart if it helps me to be a better person in any way.. :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:08:50 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline DTA

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »

we can't be friends.

T-ski, let's go get beer and talk smack about DTA behind his back.  "Baker Street" is almost perfect in every way.  I even like the "bongos".

Ugh...it's just so cheesy. Fittingly, the most bland rock band on the planet (Foo Fighters) covered it so that makes me hate it even more.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
Just about any and every Reggae riff, which is pretty much the same riff in every song. At least to my ears.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history