Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46543 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #560 on: December 12, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
Liked the song on first listen; several dozen listens down the line I love it. It's nowhere near as 'straight-forward' as I'd first thought it was, there's a lot going on here crammed into a relatively tight space. With a lot of DT songs I find myself thinking "There's a brilliant shorter song somewhere within this", but this is one of the very rare occasions I'm left thinking "There's a bona fide masterpiece in here if only they'd expanded a few bits". The beautiful intro for example, or that superb instrumental work that's going on under the second verse (I would've liked to hear them go to town on those melodies in the instrumental section). But these aren't gripes, they're just observations and personal preferences. There's not a second of this song that makes me tune out, and when it's over I find myself wanting to hear it over again. It's an excellent song and choice of lead single (and lead-off track for an album). If they're reading this, bravo to the lads. 30-odd years down the line and they're still producing exciting and original music.

And on a side-note, I appreciate the fan interaction this time around. The in-studio clip for this song is great, and the track-by-track series they're going to be doing is also a good idea . Anyone here in touch with the band, tell them it's appreciated please.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #561 on: December 12, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »
Liked the song on first listen; several dozen listens down the line I love it. It's nowhere near as 'straight-forward' as I'd first thought it was, there's a lot going on here crammed into a relatively tight space. With a lot of DT songs I find myself thinking "There's a brilliant shorter song somewhere within this", but this is one of the very rare occasions I'm left thinking "There's a bona fide masterpiece in here if only they'd expanded a few bits". The beautiful intro for example, or that superb instrumental work that's going on under the second verse (I would've liked to hear them go to town on those melodies in the instrumental section). But these aren't gripes, they're just observations and personal preferences. There's not a second of this song that makes me tune out, and when it's over I find myself wanting to hear it over again. It's an excellent song and choice of lead single (and lead-off track for an album). If they're reading this, bravo to the lads. 30-odd years down the line and they're still producing exciting and original music.

And on a side-note, I appreciate the fan interaction this time around. The in-studio clip for this song is great, and the track-by-track series they're going to be doing is also a good idea . Anyone here in touch with the band, tell them it's appreciated please.

I agree 100%!
This song is like a relationship that starts with a bit of an attraction.  But then moves to "I need more and hurry!"   :o
I love DT music - always keeping me interested - never bored.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #562 on: December 12, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
Petrucci, LaBrie and Rudess discuss Untethered Angel!!!

https://youtu.be/2Co1_h0GtAw

If it weren't recorded so long ago, I'd think them talking about the unison/harmony section was a troll on rumborak.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: December 12, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
Petrucci, LaBrie and Rudess discuss Untethered Angel!!!

https://youtu.be/2Co1_h0GtAw

If it weren't recorded so long ago, I'd think them talking about the unison/harmony section was a troll on rumborak.

Funny I was thinking the same, are they reading this thread?  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #564 on: December 13, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »
Well, I'm easily trolled, what can I say :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #565 on: December 13, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
On my second listen now. I think that the master / mix / overall sound is phenomenal.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #566 on: December 13, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
On my second listen now. I think that the master / mix / overall sound is phenomenal.
I’ve been listening the 320kbps version on good headphones and I have this same opinion. The only thing that I would make an observation is that the drums still don’t sound much “organic”. But it’s  better than on TA, it has that modern metal aproach and it sounds great, like the drum sound of Haken’s last album.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:52:00 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Curt

« Reply #567 on: December 13, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
Have you guys seen this interview? Uploaded 5th December 2018, promoting Distance Over Time, John and James on a TV couch? in a foreign country? 4 mins in and it is pretty funny and awkward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25bJ297zrc

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #568 on: December 13, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
Yes, it's been linked before

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #569 on: December 13, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »
Have you guys seen this interview? Uploaded 5th December 2018, promoting Distance Over Time, John and James on a TV couch? in a foreign country? 4 mins in and it is pretty funny and awkward

This is just crazy. The beard scene was comedy gold!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: December 13, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »

This is just crazy. The beard scene was comedy gold!

This was sooo good

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
Seems like I hear an old Roland vocoder in there. There's a ton of processing on the vocals, but one passage in particular seems like Mr. Roboto is singing one of the vocal layers. Not a criticism, I actually like it, but it's an odd thing to hear in DT.

Overall impression from the first single: I haven't heard the new album yet, but I've heard it before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #572 on: December 14, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »

This is one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen. The comedy style is so odd that the guys honestly didn't know how to play along. What kind of a show is this? Even as far as talk shows go, this one is way too ridiculous.  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #573 on: December 14, 2018, 05:56:13 AM »
JP lost it at “this toilet paper is for the handjobs” :eek :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »

This is one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen. The comedy style is so odd that the guys honestly didn't know how to play along. What kind of a show is this? Even as far as talk shows go, this one is way too ridiculous.  :lol

Metropolis1928 had a great answer that helped clear it up for me in the other thread:

To everyone that is wondering what that spanish interview was that all about, I would like to provide some context about this show (although JP mentions a little bit about why they are there).

The host of the show is one of the most popular comedians in Spain of the last 5 years (if not the most popular) and last year he got his own late late night show. It is broadcasted right after another late night (which is a completely new thing in Spain, although it may be common in the US) and it is directed mainly to people around their 20s to 30s.

First of all, this was not the whole interview, since they make some cuts for Youtube (the whole show is 60 minutes long and the interview is around 10 minutes longer than the youtube clip, this is always like that for every guest). Not that they spoke much about the album but the thing is that it never happens. No matter who comes to the show, they rarely speak about what the guest is promoting, it's all about the comedy and if the guests are and you like them, you will probably check it out. They spoke a little bit about the album but this was cut (the host asked if the album was out yet and JP said that it was a big secret right now and the host joked about asking JP to send him an MP3 with the album and to make sure that it was a "good MP3").

Which brings me to the second point that is that, no, they did not fly to Spain just to do this. Apparently they are on a promo tour in Europe where they are having interviews with a lot of websites and magazines and radios and (this is something that is mentioned by the director of the show, who is also the guy that plays the keyboard) very randomly to this show too because of its popularity and the fact that the director of the show and the host are both fans of the band.

That's another thing, to anyone that would know the host, the surprise was that they managed to get them on the show, not that they would invite them. The host has another show on the radio with other two guys where they just joke about everything and have some music once in a while. This music is decided by him and they have aired (is this the right term?) even Liquid Tension Experiment. They had on this same show a couple of weeks ago the band Toundra and the host asked them if what they did was similar to DT (to which they replied "we wished"   :lol).

So, anyway, as one of the few spaniards of the forum (although I almost never post and I mostly lurk  ;D)  and also a fan of this show, I wanted to provide some context to everyone that is wrapping their heads about it.

(By the way, what was mentioned at the show is true, if you ever go to Madrid, try the tap water, it is fantastic, and as you could see, a running gag  :rollin )

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #575 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
That was an awkward interview. Very awkward. I wonder if JP & JLB couldn't wait to get out of there.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #576 on: December 14, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
That was an awkward interview. Very awkward. I wonder if JP & JLB couldn't wait to get out of there.

They were probably told in advance what the host was about. I loved that interview, even though that was one of the least insightful and informative interviews I've ever seen. It beats the one I did with Ray Alder where all of a sudden we started discussing food and completely lost track of time, until he said "hey, my next interviewer is calling, so we should wrap this up!".

Offline Lethean

« Reply #577 on: December 14, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »
I thought it was very funny at and a lot of fun.  There's nothing wrong with an interview like that every once in a while.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #578 on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
I listened to it. It's so bland.  :-\

Online Dream Team

« Reply #579 on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
Not my kind of comedy at all. Glad I didn’t waste much time on it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #580 on: December 14, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »

Jimmy!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gm5k

« Reply #581 on: December 14, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
My favorite DT interview I've seen in quite some time.  Don't think John and James will soon forget it  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: December 15, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
I thought it was very funny at and a lot of fun.  There's nothing wrong with an interview like that every once in a while.

Yea, was a nice change of pace to see the guys in such a different type of interview.  Some of the jokes weren't funny and some were, but the whole awkwardness of it made the video overall really funny to me. 

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #583 on: December 15, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
I absolutely loved the whole interview.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #584 on: December 15, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »
My thoughts on the song now that I've listened to it like a dozen times:

The intro is great. I feel it really sets the atmosphere for the song well and it adds a whole lot. It's one of those intros that doesn't feel tacked on at all, it's really great.

Sometimes it feels like it's trying to do too much in a short time period, like a lot of the songs on DT12. There's a lot of really good ideas here and they flow together really well, but it doesn't really let you sit on an idea long enough before it moves on to the next one. Only really a problem for the first part up until the fast unison section. It calms down a lot for me when the solos come in and that's where the song starts getting really good imo.

2nd verse is killer. That synth piano part JR plays right before is great too. Wish that got reused.

The "Set...you...free" part of the codetta is great. Wish they reused that in the song, like in the coda at the end. I keep waiting for it and I just end up blueballed there.

Solos are top notch! The way Rudess supports the 2nd guitar solo with the descending piano chords is great. The second unison section (which I'm calling the Pachelbel section) is easily one of my top 10 DT solos. It's so nice and tuneful. I could listen to just 2 minutes of that. Also the solos feel kinda conservative by DT standards, but in a good way. The solos are one of the highlights for me.

Mixing is really good, drums sound fantastic. Overall, it reminds me a lot of Fatal Tragedy. MVP of the song is definitely Rudess. It says a lot about the quality of DT's work that this is my second least favorite of the Mangini-era singles and it's still killer. Definitely has maintained my excitement for the rest of the album in February!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #585 on: December 16, 2018, 01:51:49 AM »
Nice summary!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: December 16, 2018, 03:51:06 AM »
Fancy asking them how much money they have in the bank?!  WTF?!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #587 on: December 16, 2018, 05:37:46 AM »

Yo!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Dream Team

« Reply #588 on: December 17, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Listened again with a better sound system, liking it a little more.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #589 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:08 PM »
This song made me feel something interesting. It's not my favourite song by them, but one can assume they'll open concerts with it... and it feels like it's going to be such a crushing opener!

Imagining this song live felt like the missing piece to it, to me. Even the outcry-ish verse part, which I didn't go crazy for at first, makes more sense when you see it as being the part where JLB enters the stage. Sounds silly, perhaps, but it got me excited.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #590 on: March 05, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
Middle section sounds like Outcry.  Vocals are muddled and drowned out.  Recycled DT by numbers.  I don’t get it.  When are these guys gonna start getting back to their roots of original progressive metal?  I’m sick and tired of this shit!!

OMFG!  What an embarrassing post.  Why didn't someone just tell me to STFU?! :lol  Having said all that nonsense prior to giving the song and the rest of the album a fair shake, my apologies to DT and DTF.  My 1st impression of the song was not good obviously.  However, over time the chorus riff and some of the vocal effects seem pretty amazing.  The song has grown on me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
^
ST*U  ;)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #592 on: March 05, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
My initial reaction to this song wasn't that positive either, but I like it now.  I probably like most of the songs album more, but it's still a nice opener. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #593 on: March 05, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
^
ST*U  ;)

You’re about 3 months too late.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #594 on: March 05, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
I think I may have exaggerated my liking of the song initially (partly because I wanted to counter the negativity), but I still really enjoy this song. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for a lead single, but it's an enjoyable song & a nice little way to open the album. :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。