Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46876 times)

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2018, 08:28:55 AM »
On first listen it was a 6 or 7 out of 10, kinda felt like by the numbers DT. But the more I listen the more I am liking it. I am getting a lot of Home vibes, which is one of my favorites. The mix of the instruments sounds much better than the last couple albums. The instrumental section really shows off how great Mangini is at complementing JR and JP - really fantastic playing.

I have always enjoyed JLB on the albums, but the vocal mix on this song sounds weird to me, although I will reserve judgement until I hear a better quality version. I am very excited for this album!

Now I am ready for some BBQ :yarr

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
I don't think entitlement is the right word at all. People are passionate about their music. The bands I am most critical about are the bands that I love the most. It can be frustrating if they go into a direction that you don't like.

Kinda sounds like entitlement to me.

Entitlement means having a right to something. I understand the point, but I just don't think it's the correct word.

I don't like 90's Metallica, and I have a right to say that, but I would never say that I was entitled to more thrash. I may prefer it, but I'm not entitled to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »
Just the part between the second verse and chorus, and the solo part, JP and mainly the organ sound, just makes this song solid :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
I don't think entitlement is the right word at all. People are passionate about their music. The bands I am most critical about are the bands that I love the most. It can be frustrating if they go into a direction that you don't like.

Kinda sounds like you are overly sensitive to criticism of your favorite band. I'd rather hear "entitlement" over blind fanboy-ism. Some of the opinions might be a little too harsh, but that's what you get when you have a band like DT that changes things up from album to album. Sometimes people love it, sometimes they don't - but it all comes from a place of love for the band. And it certainly keeps things interesting, that's why I keep coming back to see what they are gonna do next.

If you wanna see the dangers of forced blind fanboy-ism go visit the MP forums... oh wait.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #459 on: December 10, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »

Entitlement means having a right to something. I understand the point, but I just don't think it's the correct word.

I don't like 90's Metallica, and I have a right to say that, but I would never say that I was entitled to more thrash. I may prefer it, but I'm not entitled to it.

I don't think entitlement is the right word for most of the comments here, or for an attitude like yours which I think is more respectful.  But some of them maybe; or some of them are just kinda rude.  It's one thing to say you don't like something or prefer something else, and another to call it shit or assume the artist didn't put any thought into it.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #460 on: December 10, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
One thing to consider is that negative comments have a tendency to amplify and overshadow the positive. Even if the new song has like 96% Likes on it on youtube, if you read the comment section it seems like it's the worst song DT has ever made. And it creates a feedback loop where those types of sentiments become okay to state. Imagine then what the band must think when they look at it. I sure wouldn't be in their shoes now. Constructive critism is one thing, but anonymity is destroying any decency between people. Would those people have those kinds of vitriolic comments face to face? Probably not. So why spend so much time and energy on being negative. If I don't like something, I don't engage. Simple as that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
That is the reality of the Internet.

I think the song is OK. I'm hoping the rest of the record is better. I've pre-ordered it, but don't really have high expectations based on the single. It's not bad, but it didn't WOW me either.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
If I don't like something, I don't engage. Simple as that.

Totally true.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
If I don't like something, I don't engage. Simple as that.

Totally true.

So only positive feedback? Nothing else?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
There’a simply too much great art in the world that spending time obsessing over the art I don’t like is simply not worth it. Hence my statement. It’s getting ridiculous the way people react to things they don’t like. Like the whole Star Wars last Jedi thing. I mean , really, death treats to one of the actresses in the movie just because you didn’t like it? Wtf is that about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
That is the reality of the Internet.

Yup and it's not just DT.  I have no issue with posting or reading constructive criticism or just legit feelings as long as it's not bashing.  However, I'm not a fan of the negative trolling posts you see on social media.  I think it's fair and fine to talk about what you dislike though. 

As for myself, if it's something I like then I have no issue engaging in what I also dislike, it's just part of fandom IMO.  But if I don't like it in the first place, then I'll just move along, I don't need to be there just for negativity.  That's not fun to just be a negative nancy.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #466 on: December 10, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
@noxon
As far as I know you have heard the entire album. Could you give us a statement about whether the voice effects on James are on every song like on untethered Angel?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
So why spend so much time and energy on being negative.

No, probably you missed that part Adami.

I think you can also state your -if any- negative comment, but some people seems to get stuck on them, and repeated it time after time, that's what bothers me. It is like some posts on th General Music Discussion, ther are some bands I have listened to this year and I don't like them just as much as some others have, and I won't go there to engage on a back and forth on why I don't like certain band, or album or video.

I didn't like The Astonishing, but I see no point on going to th thread and state it time over time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
Yes, like others have said here, there's a BIG difference between saying "I didn't like this song so much, I hope I like the others better, if not, I'll just pass on this album" and "OMG, DT can't make good music anymore. They suck. No soul since 2010. Bring Portnoy back".

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »
@noxon
As far as I know you have heard the entire album. Could you give us a statement about whether the voice effects on James are on every song like on untethered Angel?

Personally, I would rather keep the rest of the album as spoiler-free as possible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
@noxon

No, he isn't going to comment on anything further than the single because (1) he takes his position with the band very seriously and is too professional to do that, and (2) even if that weren't the case, it wouldn't be allowed here.  It's kind of disappointing that people would even ask for information about the entire album from people who have heard it or have access to info about it.  Be patient, and when it is time to release more information, more information will be released.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
@noxon

No, he isn't going to comment on anything further than the single because (1) he takes his position with the band very seriously and is too professional to do that, and (2) even if that weren't the case, it wouldn't be allowed here.  It's kind of disappointing that people would even ask for information about the entire album from people who have heard it or have access to info about it.  Be patient, and when it is time to release more information, more information will be released.

Although I get what you are trying to say and I would agree to it in general, I don't think that a simple question like that would really disappoint anyone, compared to the responses of some folks regarding the new song. It was just a normal question, if such a statement would be possible. In my opinion nobody would care If you would ask, if the guitar mix is the same through the album, because you could assume that (not meaning different tunings etc). I mean I didn't ask, if he could share specifics on lyrics or about the song structure, just if the vocals will have that very much talked about effects on every word on the album.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
That's it, no more Untethered Angel for me until the album comes out.
After one more spin.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #473 on: December 10, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »

Kinda sounds like you are overly sensitive to criticism of your favorite band. I'd rather hear "entitlement" over blind fanboy-ism. Some of the opinions might be a little too harsh, but that's what you get when you have a band like DT that changes things up from album to album. Sometimes people love it, sometimes they don't - but it all comes from a place of love for the band. And it certainly keeps things interesting, that's why I keep coming back to see what they are gonna do next.

If you wanna see the dangers of forced blind fanboy-ism go visit the MP forums... oh wait.

It does? Dude I have 20 posts here. Don't think I am being overly sensitive. I mean it isn't like I posted that I didn't like the song, so I listened for 20 or 30 or 40 times, until it 'clicked'. That is some fanboi nonsense.
I've lurked on this forum for years, and a case can be made that it has some of the most butthurt folks when it comes to what they want and don't want from this band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #474 on: December 10, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »
Well that's in all walks of life.  From fans of an actor, or fans of a team to fans of a band.  The butthurt is everywhere. 

I see no problem in fandom.  We all lean to protect what is personal to us. 

I'm not overly critical but you'll here me say life for The Astonishing, I just didn't gravitate to it.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #475 on: December 10, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
One thing to consider is that negative comments have a tendency to amplify and overshadow the positive. Even if the new song has like 96% Likes on it on youtube, if you read the comment section it seems like it's the worst song DT has ever made. And it creates a feedback loop where those types of sentiments become okay to state. Imagine then what the band must think when they look at it. I sure wouldn't be in their shoes now. Constructive critism is one thing, but anonymity is destroying any decency between people. Would those people have those kinds of vitriolic comments face to face? Probably not. So why spend so much time and energy on being negative. If I don't like something, I don't engage. Simple as that.

At the same time, the people commenting on YT have never been known for having measured opinions. Frankly, except on one occasion that I can think of, the criticism here has been very civil and more often than not backed up by what we didn't like and why we didn't like it.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #476 on: December 10, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
So apparently giving a song by a band you enjoy a chance to click with you is blind fanboyism? Then call me a blind fanboy! It's certainly more enjoyable than being a critic. And apparently we have to find something to dislike about DT if we're not to be called blind fanboys. The only thing I dislike about DT are certain elements of the "fan"base.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
Ya, guess I am a fangirl  :laugh:

I am really liking the song. I have listened about 10x this weekend and now just heard at work with better speakers.  :metal Very Heavy - which I like. I do wish I could hear the vocals more - vocals are important to me and I dig JLB voice, even now. As with some of  DT, I find the music grows on me with time. This song has a great intro. I love the short heavy, but I also like their long weird songs as well.  Interesting, that after UA, came AD (spotify) - such different sounding music, both signature DT and what I love about them. Never boring.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #478 on: December 10, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
So apparently giving a song by a band you enjoy a chance to click with you is blind fanboyism? Then call me a blind fanboy! It's certainly more enjoyable than being a critic. And apparently we have to find something to dislike about DT if we're not to be called blind fanboys. The only thing I dislike about DT are certain elements of the "fan"base.

If it is aimed at me, show me where exactly I said that. Good luck! And frankly, by isolating the word "fan" (I quote), you're behaving exactly like some people of whom you reproach the negative remarks.

Now, I didn't say anything negative about the single as I didn't listen to it, I had a more general approach as to what bothered me about modern DT. To be clear, I still love DT, they're still my favorite band by a long stretch and I liked ADToE, DT 12 and all the more so TA on first listen. And I will probably love D/T on first listen too.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #479 on: December 10, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
This thread is getting ugly.

It's a single to DT's new album. People should be able to say they love it, like it, don't like it, hate it, and explain why, without getting jumped on, as long as it is done respectfully, as per the mods' judgment.

I happen to think the single is OK, but nothing Earth-shattering. I don't take offense to people of different opinion, and frankly, neither should anyone here.

New DT music is on the way - be happy to see where it goes, and enjoy the ride, good and bad.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #480 on: December 10, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
At this point, I've come through full cycle from "Raging DT Fanboy" to "Disillusioned Critic" to what is probably my final resting place "Fan with Reasonable Expectations and Reasonable Opinions".

I think this song is alright! My favorite part, by far, is the instrumental section. Otherwise, it sounds a bit too familiar in places (some parts sound like Home, other parts sound like Forsaken, and there are yet other parts that sound like In The Name of God), but as far as DT singles go, it's not bad.

In terms of production, this song sounded better than much of what I've heard from the band recently, so that's a plus, though I do wish they would go for a less produced drum sound.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: December 10, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
At this point, I've come through full cycle from "Raging DT Fanboy" to "Disillusioned Critic" to what is probably my final resting place "Fan with Reasonable Expectations and Reasonable Opinions".

Haha well said, I think I'm in the same head space now.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #482 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
I'm in the headspace of a "grateful person", whatever that may mean.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gm5k

« Reply #483 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
Damn the YT commments did get really harsh quickly.  Were mostly positive at first.  Seems like they're usually from people who haven't liked DT for quite some time, though.  Maybe time to move on guys? 

Just think it's funny to comment negatively on a band's new music when you haven't liked them for a decade  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #484 on: December 10, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »
@noxon

Although I get what you are trying to say and I would agree to it in general, I don't think that a simple question like that would really disappoint anyone, compared to the responses of some folks regarding the new song. It was just a normal question, if such a statement would be possible. In my opinion nobody would care If you would ask, if the guitar mix is the same through the album, because you could assume that (not meaning different tunings etc). I mean I didn't ask, if he could share specifics on lyrics or about the song structure, just if the vocals will have that very much talked about effects on every word on the album.

But its asking a question specific for how one would perceive a yet-to-be release, from someone who has ties with the band no less. That's what Bosk means by point 2. Just because they know, doesn't mean we are allowed to prod them. Thats respect.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #485 on: December 10, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »

If it is aimed at me, show me where exactly I said that. Good luck! And frankly, by isolating the word "fan" (I quote), you're behaving exactly like some people of whom you reproach the negative remarks.

Now, I didn't say anything negative about the single as I didn't listen to it, I had a more general approach as to what bothered me about modern DT. To be clear, I still love DT, they're still my favorite band by a long stretch and I liked ADToE, DT 12 and all the more so TA on first listen. And I will probably love D/T on first listen too.

B.Lee

Nope. You were just in the unfortunate position of preceding my message.

Man alive, DT-side can get crazy in the pre-album times. And we're still well over 2 months away from the actual release.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:50:38 PM by RoeDent »

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #486 on: December 10, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
Funny that in my low-quality headphones, sound is balanced. On my low-quality speakers, the instrumental break from 3:25 to 4:48 sounds completely fine, but some parts, mainly the second verse and chorus, are too loud and muddy, similar to DT12.

So depending on the setup people have, they might have completely different opinions on the mix.

(Scale: crap < low- < medium- < high-quality)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #487 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
I'm in the headspace of a "grateful person", whatever that may mean.

This :tup

I’m just too grateful with DT for being the soundtrack of my life for 9 years already. Not that all their songs/albums are flawless (nothing is, really), but I just love that they keep coming up with wonderful music every 2 or 3 years, even when they’ve been doing this for more than 30 years.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #488 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
I've read through the last four pages of this thread, shaking my head the entire time. I'm flabbergasted at the level of entitlement some of you have. I want this, I want that.

DT fanbase in a nutshell. I can only imagine that when you like something so much, you kinda make it your own and so when your favorite or ex-favorite artist or whatever releases something you don't like at all you feel betrayed or something to that extent. That's not the way to go, tho. It's totally fine if you don't like DT's stuff now, as it happens, but DT criticism at that point is just tiresome to read and see. I don't read the forums as much as I used to because of that, because discussion and opinions on DT are so polarizing these days that the middle ground of debate is harder to see (to my eyes). Not with everyone, tho. There are wonderful posters here who dislike DT's recent output and they write about it with great taste. I even read once in my social media something in the lines of "if you like The Astonishing, you're wrong and you're stupid" and I was all like: Oh dear  :lol

I don't mean to take the conversation in this road, tho. It's just something I had to get out of my chest and your post was a good reason to do so.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #489 on: December 10, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »
It always amazes me how a YouTube video can have a 96% like ratio but 96% negative comments. :lol

Anyhow, I enjoyed the song. It is certainly a return to the more familiar Dream Theater sound after the curve ball that was The Astonishing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!