Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46535 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
The bass in this mix is very loud, to the point of it almost being overwhelming the other instruments. I don't see why you'd want even more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
Case in point ^

Not really.

1.  I already gave my thoughts on the song in pretty good detail.  And since nobody has really responded to that post at all, other than comments about Mangini, there aren't really any additional thoughts I can give at this point in time.

2.  I'm not complaining about the mix, as your example.  I'm fine with it.  I'm responding to the post where Mangini was explaining why his kit was set up that way, which a good many people have wondered about since we first saw his setup in earlier pictures and videos from the studio. 

But that said, there's nothing wrong with talking about the mix. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2018, 03:32:35 PM »
The bass in this mix is very loud, to the point of it almost being overwhelming the other instruments. I don't see why you'd want even more.

Really?  I haven't been getting that.  But then again, the only time I listened loud was the Spotify version in my car.  It didn't jump out at me as being overly loud.  Yeah, it was audible, and probably seemed a bit louder than on the previous few albums.  But not really enough to be noticeable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline genome

« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
Case in point ^

Not really.

1.  I already gave my thoughts on the song in pretty good detail.  And since nobody has really responded to that post at all, other than comments about Mangini, there aren't really any additional thoughts I can give at this point in time.

2.  I'm not complaining about the mix, as your example.  I'm fine with it.  I'm responding to the post where Mangini was explaining why his kit was set up that way, which a good many people have wondered about since we first saw his setup in earlier pictures and videos from the studio. 

But that said, there's nothing wrong with talking about the mix.

I wasn't singling you out, I was referring to the previous few posts. Nor was I complaining. It's just a weird observation I had.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »
Leaked video for Room 1237!!!!!!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyxEdQiVHY

Offline genome

« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Leaked video for Room 1237!!!!!!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyxEdQiVHY

Finally Mangini sounds like Portnoy!!!!11!1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
AND DO YOU HEAR THAT MIX?!?!?!?!?!?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2018, 03:54:17 PM »
Wow! Reminds me a lot of Stargazer.

Anyway, I listened to Untethered Angel once on Spotify and once watching the video. First, I think that first verse riff is way too close Outcry. It's almost uncomfortable to listen to.
But other than that,,fantastic! The musical breakdown section is amazing. I don't remember hearing a prechorus, but James sounds great in the chorus.

But, if this ends up being my favorite song on the album, I won't be happy. Looking forward to the new album though and this song does not make me think it won't be great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
As a drummer the height of MMs cymbals looks uncomfortable as hell, I wouldn't last a song with my arms streched out like that. Thinking him lasting a whole set is crazy for me but yea I guess it's ok for him.

The fill at 3:35 made me smile, that's a visually cool fill that looks great with the setup he has.

Overall a pretty good song and I think one of the better first singles i've heard from them in a while.

Best part is the instrumental section with the guitar/key duals.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »
I think Myung is loud and clear, which is awesome.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
I listened to a flac version, listened on Spotify, listened the YouTube link and listened on Apple Music, the flac version and the Apple Music version sounded millions time better. So far, not a fan of the song, I hope it gets listening to it with the rest of the songs

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
Regarding the alleged lack of melody, I will open up the can of worms by saying a song like this is where a guy like Kevin Moore is really missed.  He was so good at laying down some atmospheric backdrops in an otherwise heavy song (think Caught in a Web or The Mirror), and Rudess does a really good job of that at times as well, but in this one, JR seems to just hammer away with a lot of leads, almost like he is playing along with the riffing instead of finding a countermelody full of chords that serve as a melodic backdrop, if you catch my drift. I know, I know, it's been 24 years now!  :lol :lol I am just saying, the thought that went through my head on the last listen was that it is times like this where I really miss Kevin Moore.  And I hadn't really thought that about a new DT song since probably the late 00's.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
I love the chorus. Also, the little melody before the last chorus reminds me of old/retro videogame music. I got Shovel Knight vibes.

Online gborland

« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »

Conclusive proof that a bear does indeed shit in the woods.
Graham Borland

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
So, I've listened to the song a looooooot of times, and by that I mean A LOT, but I just didn't have the time to sit and write my thoughts here untill now, so here they are:

Love the sound and mix overall. The vocals and keyboards sounded buried to me at first, but I guess I've gotten used to it now. James' voice, as everyone else has said, has heavy processing/effects but that doesn't distract or bother me, they're intended to be there.

The guitar intro is pretty standard JP, but the haunting keyboard underneath it gives it a very nice and different feel to what we've seen before :tup

Still not a big fan of the first verse, but the rest of the song works very well to me, the chorus is amazing and have been singing it all day, nice melody and lyrics. No complaints there at all.

That low JP riff at around 2:00 with Mangini playing half time on the hi hat is one of my favorite parts. Everytime I hear this section, I just go :metal :metal :metal :metal

The second verse and bridge sound a bit chaotic, like there's a lot going on, but I really like them anyway. Mike's cymbal work is a highlight there.

Very cool instrumental section. I was like :hefdaddy by the way MM played the starting fast unison using the two snares, very cool.

On the Inside Out instagram stories that featured short interviews with JP and JR, John said that he got really inspired by seeing all these crazy guitarists who came to teach at his guitar camp and that he went straight to record his solos after that. Well... he wasn't lying. HOLY GUITAR SOLOS, BATMAN. When you think JP can't improve his craft anymore, he comes up with this :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Love how they didn't include any background guitars or keys during that harmonic run after the solos, it definitely helps with the raw and live feeling they wanted to get for the album. It sounded massive with just JM and MM supporting the rhythm.

Btw, something I noticed from the drum track is that the drums are mixed again from the drummer's perspective (meaning when he plays the left part of the kit, you hear it on the left side and viceversa) just like ADTOE and most, if not all, of MP era albums. In contrast, DT12, TA and the live albums from that era were mixed with the audience perspective (when he plays left side, you hear it on the right). As a drummer myself, I appreciate this a lot.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
After listening 32 times ( LOL ), I have to say that if only they have a better first verse, these would have been a great song. Listening from the section after the first chorus onwards is amazing.

For Mike Mangini gems, my favorite part is the beginning of the instrumental. While he was playing around with the snare playing along with the other instruments, he was still maintaining the bass-snare 1-3 metronome. Then when they go double time, he transferred the metronome to hi-hat and snare, while transferring the fill to the bass.

And I just love the unison part. They could have gone off the rails and played it fast but they didn't and kept it melodic.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:43 PM »
Even though I still think the vocal writing is pretty weak, I think James' performance could have been improved if they played this song on a 7 strong and lowered it that 4th.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dream75

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
Now is my favorite of the new album  :rollin

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »
Btw, something I noticed from the drum track is that the drums are mixed again from the drummer's perspective (meaning when he plays the left part of the kit, you hear it on the left side and viceversa) just like ADTOE and most, if not all, of MP era albums. In contrast, DT12, TA and the live albums from that era were mixed with the audience perspective (when he plays left side, you hear it on the right). As a drummer myself, I appreciate this a lot.

Not only drums, but keyboard and guitars are panned in the band's perspective in their concerts. JP on left and JR on right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
I always prefer drummer's perspective (as a drummer myself).

I also give a band a pass on doing it audience perspective for live releases. That one makes sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
I think the audience perspective mix was a Chycki thing to do, because all the releases with him have that kind of panning. I first noticed this when I compared the same songs on ADTOE and LALP. The former, mixed by Andy Wallace, has drummer's perspective and the latter has the audience perspective.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
So how do you know it's mixed from the drummers perspective when it's done on a ambidextrous kit?  I guess it could go either way..lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
So how do you know it's mixed from the drummers perspective when it's done on a ambidextrous kit?  I guess it could go either way..lol

It's harder with Mangini :lol but he uses his right hi-hat at the main one and it's lower in pitch than his left hi-hat, that way you can identify it. Another one is his gong drum, which is the last drum on his right, but on DT12 and TA you hear it on the left side when he does does long rolls on it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »
Good observation!  I guess you could also tell when he does fills on the upper octogons or whatever they're called..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Good observation!  I guess you could also tell when he does fills on the upper octogons or whatever they're called..

Octobans  :lol octogons are the shapes of STOP signs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
Is this a reference to Octavarium?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »

Octobans  :lol octogons are the shapes of STOP signs.

-Marc.

Octobarns if you're an MP.com refugee :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
Middle section sounds like Outcry.  Vocals are muddled and drowned out.  Recycled DT by numbers.  I don’t get it.  When are these guys gonna start getting back to their roots of original progressive metal?  I’m sick and tired of this shit!!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2018, 03:45:02 AM »
Middle section sounds like Outcry.  Vocals are muddled and drowned out.  Recycled DT by numbers.  I don’t get it.  When are these guys gonna start getting back to their roots of original progressive metal?  I’m sick and tired of this shit!!

Who would have thought…?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline genome

« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2018, 04:06:55 AM »
Even though I still think the vocal writing is pretty weak, I think James' performance could have been improved if they played this song on a 7 strong and lowered it that 4th.

Been a while DT did a song in C Standard tuning on a six... when was the last one? Nightmare to Remember?

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2018, 06:01:34 AM »

Offline emtee

« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
I've spun it about 10 times.

It's got everything you would expect from a modern-day DT song and yet, as hard as I try, I can make no
emotional connection to it at all. Album after album I keep hoping they create something that truly blows me
away and takes me on a journey. The only song that does that, from modern-day DT, is Illumination Theory.

I am continually awed by the speed and precision of Mangini but I have no desire to dissect his fills. They always
sound like machine gun fire to me.

To me, it feels like this song could/should be on one of JLB's solo albums.

I know the band gave it everything they had. They always do. What's missing (for me only) is that genre-leading,
pioneering spirit that drove those classic albums. I've spun those songs hundreds if not thousands of times, and just
like Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Zeppelin, Rush...they still blow me away and take me on a journey. Modern-day DT simply
doesn't do that for me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
I've spun it about 10 times.

It's got everything you would expect from a modern-day DT song and yet, as hard as I try, I can make no
emotional connection to it at all. Album after album I keep hoping they create something that truly blows me
away and takes me on a journey. The only song that does that, from modern-day DT, is Illumination Theory.

I am continually awed by the speed and precision of Mangini but I have no desire to dissect his fills. They always
sound like machine gun fire to me.

To me, it feels like this song could/should be on one of JLB's solo albums.

I know the band gave it everything they had. They always do. What's missing (for me only) is that genre-leading,
pioneering spirit that drove those classic albums. I've spun those songs hundreds if not thousands of times, and just
like Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Zeppelin, Rush...they still blow me away and take me on a journey. Modern-day DT simply
doesn't do that for me.

I haven't listened to the song, but I get what you mean. For me, the trend began with SC : they began sounding more mechanical, more clinical and I guess that's when they became the modern DT (if that makes sense). My "faith" was renewed with ADToE and continued from them, but I can see why MM may seem robotic tou you or other people.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline adastra

« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
I decided to write something after a long time of only reading the forum and not contributing.

I really waited for the new single. Checked internet couple of times a day for couple of weeks if the single had dropped.
Yesterday I let go of my grandmother at the local hospital. It was quick and painless death. I got home and slept for couple hours. After I woke up the single had dropped. And holy shit did it hit hard. Couldn't hold the tears back.

After a 10 listen or so, I'd rate it 7/10. I was hoping for something more like FII, but didnt have my hopes up.

It is Not a bad song, but not great. Something a modern DT single is supposed to be. Im Really excited to hear the full album!

I bet the single will always have a big emotional impact for me because of what happened couple of hours before I heard it.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »
I decided to write something after a long time of only reading the forum and not contributing.

I really waited for the new single. Checked internet couple of times a day for couple of weeks if the single had dropped.
Yesterday I let go of my grandmother at the local hospital. It was quick and painless death. I got home and slept for couple hours. After I woke up the single had dropped. And holy shit did it hit hard. Couldn't hold the tears back.

After a 10 listen or so, I'd rate it 7/10. I was hoping for something more like FII, but didnt have my hopes up.

It is Not a bad song, but not great. Something a modern DT single is supposed to be. Im Really excited to hear the full album!

I bet the single will always have a big emotional impact for me because of what happened couple of hours before I heard it.

Sorry for your loss, adastra. I'm a very emotional guy, but when my father died last year, i became more so. And music makes me now cry more often than not, so I know the feelings that are yours.

B.Lee