Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46542 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
Personally, Moment of Betrayal is a very similar song, except a lot better.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pcs90

« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2018, 11:31:22 PM »
Personally, Moment of Betrayal is a very similar song, except a lot better.
I agree.

Offline danoz

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »
I’m getting a ITNOG vibe about this, only stripped down. Anything they put out is always welcome

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2018, 11:37:50 PM »
Untethered angel
Falling to darkness
Don't be afraid of letting gooooo
Mumble mumble mumble set you freeeeee!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »
First impressions:

- Nice opening and main riff
- What the hell is up with the vocals? I am a James fan but it's so muddy and strange.
- First verse sounds like Outcry. Not fan of that type of riffing. But quite short thankfully.
- Second verse is a lot cooler but the vocals have strange effects that just doesn't fit.
- Nice instrumental part & chorus.
- Sounds very much like Moment of Betrayal.
- Like the chaotic and dramatic feel. Some interesting chord changes being used!

Need to listen a bit more but sounds like a good DT songs with some strange issues.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:09:32 AM by Pettor »

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2018, 11:49:08 PM »
Agreed with most of above.

Solid first single IMO, for DT. Vocals are low in mix with effects. Loved guitar sound and instrumental section. Looking forward to the rest of the release.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2018, 11:53:35 PM »
Everything after the final chorus was perfect

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2018, 11:56:17 PM »
Love it. Great classic heavier DT sound, some tip of the hats to Outcry, great melody and solos we have come to expect. I am one who personally loves Mangini’s work, great rhythm and really varied and interesting fills. Definitely agree that James’s voice sounds a little buried early, but seems to get a little better as the song progresses. I really like this one, I actually think it’s one of their strongest singles to date  :tup

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
I just don't understand how a band of this caliber and resources continues to release albums with the drums sounding like this. Yes it's a bit better than the other Mangini releases, but still baffling

Offline JLa

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
I always enjoy new songs from DT and this is no exception. It might wear off over time (there's nothing really new or fresh here) but so far so good.

People are complaining over YouTube compression. I'm listening on Spotify and a decent set of headphones, I think it sounds pretty good. James has all this compression and effects on his voice though, not too much of a fan of that.

Great chorus. Cool instrumentals, although fairly 'generic' DT.

I can see myself rocking to this today! Luckily I have the office for myself today.  :lol

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:33 AM »
I just don't understand how a band of this caliber and resources continues to release albums with the drums sounding like this. Yes it's a bit better than the other Mangini releases, but still baffling

The main reason is the style of Mangini is different from Portnoy as well as production.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »
For those complaining yet again, what's the problem with the drum sound this time?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:53:18 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:14 AM »
My only real issue is the voice, really, everything else is cool.

Perhaps that which can't be named's corruption has spread?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »
Nothing is wrong with the drums. They sound fine.

Offline dodido253

« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2018, 12:51:25 AM »
DT did a great job with this one, I've really enjoyed it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2018, 01:02:08 AM »
Liking it. Good energy and vibe. Nice balance of all elements so can hear them well. Sound is pretty compressed via Spotify but we'll see for later files.

But yeah. Good.  :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2018, 01:06:10 AM »
First impression:

The positive side for me is that there’s a killer instrumenal section reminding me of TOT and even SFAM. Very cool and one of their trademarks, done as good as ever here. JP seems to have stepped up his game and gave a lot of thought to his solos. Also, really like JR’s piano playing in the instrumental section.

Drums and bass sound powerful, everything actually sounds pretty good, were it not for the heavy compression.. but that was to be expected.

The vocals sound weird and seem to have come last in the process. Not a fan of the melody either. This track is a bit of a mixed bag for me but I do like it a fair bit.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
Just gave this a couple of spins.

I agree the mix isn't the best they've put out, it sounds kinda muddy but it's still a powerful tune. Most interesting single they've put out since pretty much I became a fan (2005). I think I still prefer it to DT13's mix (because I'm one of those folks who thinks The Astonishing sounds just fine). Maybe just a way too much cymbal getting through (really noticeable on headphones).

I love vocal effects usually (and effects as a creative resource to a mix), but the problem here I feel is that some of the effects used on LaBrie's voice kinda mess with the comprehension of the lyrics. I don't mind them that much here, though.

Don't wanna sound picky. I really enjoyed it, and the track got me excited for what's to come. I've read some very nasty comments around, tho (not here). DT fans can be jerks sometimes lol (nothing wrong in expressing a negative opinion, but the ways aren't usually the best).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2018, 01:13:03 AM »
Great song! The first verse may be a shade ok but the first chorus and beyond I couldn't stop headbanging! Thanks DT always love ya!

The instrument tones and mix reminds me of SFAM (FT/BtL).

BTW may be too obvious but do check your streaming quality setting because the mix improved a lot for me when I switched it to best quality.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:48 AM »
The song emphasizes once again that Mike Mangini's preferred weapon of choice is the bass drum. He's one of the few drummers who more often than not uses the snare as the metronome and the bass for fills.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:15 AM »
I think the track is getting there. Nice to hear a riffing powerful track from DT! Sadly Spotify started playing Fatal Tradegy immediately after and just hearing James voice made it clear what the only major issues with it is. Let's hope that can be fixed for final release! I mean he was MVP on TA and sounded amazing there, don't think this can be due to his vocal abilities?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:34:23 AM by Pettor »

Offline metrojam

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
8 hours after first hearing it, the second listen confirms that I really like the song and its definitely a step in the right direction again and makes me look forward to the new album.
I'm fine with the overall "mix" but as I'm not an expert on these things then my opinion on that doesn't count for much. Still a little disappointed about the (processed) vocals but I guess that with James's voice these days, that's what we're always going to get now, so it is what it is.
Overall an 8/10 for me and even if it IS a little "DT by numbers" then those numbers are adding up pretty good! :)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:41 AM »
Thought it was killer. I immediately noticed the interesting choice to put effects on James's voice. Also thought he was a bit buried. I'm not freaking out about it though. There was a moment or two where it seemed like JP was singing backing vox which we haven't heard on an album since BC&SL I believe, so that's cool. People keep mentioning Outcry, but I heard more of an In The Name Of God vibe. I definitely thought the drums have improved a lot (though, they didn't sound terrible on TA). Overall I'm a fan of the song and this definitely me even more pumped for the album.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2018, 02:05:57 AM »
I simply don't like it. What even this vocals? I mean it's not James, it's production, it's mix.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2018, 02:26:58 AM »
Second listen !

First impression : Ohhh god this sound is huge and massive. All instrument are pretty badass.
I think JP is definetely behind JLB on vocals. Solo section is finally not mindless shredding.
Drums ? MM is beast. His and JM synchonizing with main riffs is mindblowing. Love drum sounds mainly between intro riff and first verse. It sounds amazing.
Someone mentioned fret buzzing. There are some but its caused by piezo pickups.
Vocals are different. I think album version in high quality will set in right place 

I have really enjoyed it  :metal

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2018, 02:31:01 AM »
It's ok. I wish I could say this is fresh, but to me it's too "been there done that before" and many times over.  Could fit right in on ADTOE or self titled. Great playing as always but, like i said too much of the same, melodies, and the mix.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »
I like the song, but the mix is horrible.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:01 AM »
Could fit right in on ADTOE or self titled.

Oh no, number one.

Great playing as always but, like i said too much of the same, melodies, and the mix.

Oh no, number two.

It's not a blanket over everything again, is it? That really plagued both A Dramatic Turn of Events and DT12.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2018, 02:43:32 AM »
9/10

I really like the direction DT is taking with this record, UA reminds me of a mixture of ADTOE and TOT a really good blend of their prog and metal side with some awesome chord progressions and harmonies. Only flaw, LaBrie sounds too buried in the mix. But Mangini's presence is awesome. This is my short review of UA.

:metal

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »
Thought it was killer. I immediately noticed the interesting choice to put effects on James's voice. Also thought he was a bit buried. I'm not freaking out about it though. There was a moment or two where it seemed like JP was singing backing vox which we haven't heard on an album since BC&SL I believe, so that's cool. People keep mentioning Outcry, but I heard more of an In The Name Of God vibe. I definitely thought the drums have improved a lot (though, they didn't sound terrible on TA). Overall I'm a fan of the song and this definitely me even more pumped for the album.

He's totally singing backing vocals numerous times in DT12
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »
It's ok. I wish I could say this is fresh, but to me it's too "been there done that before" and many times over.  Could fit right in on ADTOE or self titled. Great playing as always but, like i said too much of the same, melodies, and the mix.
If you put your headphones on and skip song to section 2:15 - 2:55. This is better melody part then anything on ADTOE or DT12.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2018, 03:13:59 AM »
I think OTBOA is a better single but compared to self-titled this is better than any song really, except IT.

Online w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2018, 03:21:20 AM »
If you put your headphones on and skip song to section 2:15 - 2:55. This is better melody part then anything on ADTOE or DT12.

100% agree!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:26:38 AM by w_marano »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2018, 03:23:42 AM »
Really good track! I bought the 320kbps from Google play and it sounds excellent IMO, very good mixing and production
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2018, 03:36:25 AM »
"Fear can live inside you / push you to the edge / face the fear within you / wake up from the dead"

Edge:biggrin: