Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46523 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
And I have no idea why you would think that band don't know that Syme uses stock images.

Cause I'd like to believe they care about being original.
Is originality not a factor here at all? Is it no longer part of the package of what makes something great? I'm truly asking cause I don't understand y'all's argument for this, to me the argument is "Ah who gives a fuck where it came from, it looks good and that's all that matters", am I understanding this right?
I haven't said a word about the unicyclist or the robot with the skull, somehow this pushed me over the top.

Again, they work with him because they like his work.  It's that simple.  If you don't like it, you're entitled to that, but I don't know what more can be said.

First thing I said about this was I like it, until I found out it's another reworked stock image. But if I understand your point correctly, that is it doesn't matter, then you're 100% right about there being nothing else to be said.
Maybe I just need to get with the times, that's how things work now.

I've always came down on the originality side myself. It eventually might get to the point where it might heavily influence my opinion, but I'm not there yet. But I've noted it. I've really lost some respect for the guy (Syme) since he went digital, but the digital trap is vast and far reaching.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
I see you sharpened your spoon, King!  :lol

:lol.  Nah. Shit luck. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »
The one with Rich needs to be captioned "I'm snappin' you later."

:rollin @ both of these.  Nicely done!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
The Untethered Angel is available on Spotify now, first listen is done :) I'm very satisfied, it's far better than DT's last works on previous two albums... I'm preordering vinyl tomorrow and I'm sure that it will be my favourite DT album from postPortnoy era.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Will say again that at least they give us cool artwork on the albums. Most bands do an album cover and that’s it and often even that cover is pretty nondescript. The two pieces of artwork released so far look pretty good to me, I couldn’t care less whether Hugh Syme has used stock images, just whether it looks good and complements the music.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »
Is that supposed to be a fuckin' monocle?  :rollin
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Question for you tech-savvy youngsters:  I haven't used Spotify, but I just downloaded the app and set up my account.  I selected DT as one of my "favorites."  Will it notify me somehow when the single is available, or do I just have to manually search for it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JRuless

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
usually it will notify you, but maybe with a little delay...

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
Question for you tech-savvy youngsters:  I haven't used Spotify, but I just downloaded the app and set up my account.  I selected DT as one of my "favorites."  Will it notify me somehow when the single is available, or do I just have to manually search for it?

Not only will notify you when there's new songs, but will create a playlist (Daily Mix 1/2/3/4/5/6, Release Radar, Your Discover Weekly, etc) based on bands similar to the ones you subscribe to.

Offline dream75

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »

There is the single on Youtube !!! Can I publish it?

Offline JRuless

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »

There is the single on Youtube !!! Can I publish it?
Youtube is linked to your country´s time as is Spotify. Even if you spread the link, the ones who aren´t in the 7th of december yet will not see the video

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »
If any links show up, do not post them yet.  Unless they show up on an official band or label sponsored source, you have to wait.  Give it 5 more hours, and then have at it.

EDIT:  And what I have seen from unofficial sources is NOT Dream Theater, even though it is labeled as such.  Have fun with that.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »
Just heard it on Spotify...welcome back DT :) IF this is any indication as to the rest of the album then it will totally obliterate any memories of that last "effort"!! ;)

Offline dream75

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
If any links show up, do not post them yet.  Unless they show up on an official band or label sponsored source, you have to wait.  Give it 5 more hours, and then have at it.

EDIT:  And what I have seen from unofficial sources is NOT Dream Theater, even though it is labeled as such.  Have fun with that.

Ok boss  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »

Out of curiosity, I youtubed it to see if there were any funny results (or to see if there was a video page available that I can just refresh after midnight) but the thing that came up was someone playing the guitar solo.  I didnt watch because I'm not interested, but thought that was interesting that someone already learned and recorded themselves playing it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
I also saw one with a thumbnail that was a picture of the band purporting to be the actual single, but it was actually a Static X song.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
I also saw one with a thumbnail that was a picture of the band purporting to be the actual single, but it was actually a Static X song.

Which is just a rename, because that video is 3 years old.  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »
Song is available on YouTube now in U.K. as it’s after midnight. I reserve my right to completely change my opinion later but, on first listen, it doesn’t do an awful lot for me I’m sorry to say.  Hopefully will improve with repeat listens.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
There's a video that claims to be UA, but the length is 3:17, and pretty much every comment is to the effect that it's fake.

Someone's already got a video up of him playing the/one of the guitar solos from the song.  I can only dream of having that kind of time on my hands....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
With all due respect, seeing so many people comment on how careless they are about Hugh Syme's design tendencies, makes me wonder how underrated is a designer's work.
In that case let's make all bands do their own covers and not hiring anyone, fck off, since nobody gives a damn.
As for DT, for me this goes beyond just liking Hugh's work, it's a matter of quality, I'm literally paying you a lot to do nothing,-
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
 I am a newish DT fan (soo much). This is my first new album from them, and I am excited!!!(understatement)

I don't comment a whole lot as I feel the forums have 1) people who have been around forever and followed the band forever and 2) are maybe musicians and have lots of technical expertise in that area that I don't. ( although I studied piano for about 8 years as a kid) and 3) are just super tech savvy.. I am a bit out of my league with all that.

But, not with my love of DT music. 

I don't give a crap about the art being photoshopped/copied - it's cool to me and I cant do it and...I am going to have fun trying to understand and learn about the meanings of the art as it relates to the album.

I also don't really give a crap if the songs are long or short. DT music for me is always about the unexpected. I really do love the long songs. After all, if it is good, let's have more.  But I love the short songs too, because they rock, are interesting and never bore me.   No albums are alike (some say they are, but that is for the techies, I don't hear it that way), and it is impossible to really have a favorite and from what I see, there would never be anything remotely close to consensus on a favorite album or song or more than 2.
So, I am just 100% enjoying this whole process.  DT foreplay. What could be better..except when I listen to the new single tomorrow!! :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Back to the tune, my impression was it sounds like a love child between Home and ANTR. JR's solo sound gets a big thumbs up, so does JM's gnarly bass. Downsides would be the wall of sound, and dare I mention it? The drums.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
Back to the tune, my impression was it sounds like a love child between Home and ANTR. JR's solo sound gets a big thumbs up, so does JM's gnarly bass. Downsides would be the wall of sound, and dare I mention it? The drums.

Jeez, now what?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
Listening to it for like the 10th time... in the UK.. I didn’t like it too much at first but it’s grown on me quickly!!

Offline metrojam

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »

I'm "OK" with the drum sound on this one and love the solo's too. The only "slight" downside was that I feel the vocals are quite "processed" but its only a very "slight" criticism as I really like the song and the icing on the cake is that there's no sign of that piano!!!!!......

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »
James's vocals have been increasingly processed since ADTOE, so that's to be expected really.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline metrojam

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
James's vocals have been increasingly processed since ADTOE, so that's to be expected really.

Thats very true sadly :( :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
I am a newish DT fan (soo much). This is my first new album from them, and I am excited!!!(understatement)

I don't comment a whole lot as I feel the forums have 1) people who have been around forever and followed the band forever and 2) are maybe musicians and have lots of technical expertise in that area that I don't. ( although I studied piano for about 8 years as a kid) and 3) are just super tech savvy.. I am a bit out of my league with all that.

Welcome and don't feel afraid to post.  The people who've been here awhile are very nice and welcoming.  And many of us have no musicianship or technical expertise so don't worry if you feel like you don't understand something.  I certainly don't get the music stuff when people talk technical. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
Hmmm... to me this seems quite like Dream Theater by numbers. Reminds me a bit of Black Clouds or ADTOE. Dare I say it's OK, but not really memorable. There's a sweet guitar harmony before the last chorus though.

Offline Evai

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Really like the drumming on this :) I think I prefer this to songs from ADTOE/DT12 , I liked how during the guitar/keys unison, JP didn't do any extra overdubs, so you just hear the sound of the band. Awesome stuff. Although.. It might have just been Spotify/my laptop, but I got a ton of compression/pumping sound to what I was hearing, like a dance song or something. Hopefully an issue on my end
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »
Honestly, I'm just hoping for a decent sound and mix -  trying to avoid the youtube compression dilemma, so hoping to purchase a decent version on iTunes if available or wherever I can buy a nice finished product.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Drums and keyboard are STELLAR. Tasty organ solo! They're the highlights of the song, IMO.

Not too many double/quad tracking and overdubbed guitars gave more space for keys and bass, liked it. Specially during the solos. It's really the "live and organic" approach they talked about. (ninja'd by Evai)

Best drum sound in years, I dare to say it's better than some old MP days... It's FAT. POWERFUL. THAT SNARE IS ABSURDLY GOOD. CRACKING. Cymbals are all well audible in the mix.

James is incredible too, full range on. A little buried in the mix, but it doesn't bother me at all. He still shines  :metal

In terms of composition: Lots of nods to Outcry and Moment of Betrayal, which remind me a lot of Behind The Veil (maybe this is the "trademark" of the current line up composition mode... hehe). The pre-solo instrumental reminds me positively of the Constant Motion pre-solo.

It's heavy. It's epic. It's progressive. It's melodic. It's shredding. It has the CHOCOLATE CAKE. And it's just the beginning. Is it Feb 22nd already?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2018, 06:42:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, I youtubed it to see if there were any funny results (or to see if there was a video page available that I can just refresh after midnight) but the thing that came up was someone playing the guitar solo.  I didnt watch because I'm not interested, but thought that was interesting that someone already learned and recorded themselves playing it.

I’ve been playing guitar for 12 years and have a descent ear training, and one time it took me 3 weeks practicing 2-3 hours a day to master 5 seconds of DT’s music. It always fascinates me when someone just listens to a song and learns the whole thing effortlessly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:48:45 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
Drums and keyboard are STELLAR. Tasty organ solo! They're the highlights of the song, IMO.

Not too many double/quad tracking and overdubbed guitars gave more space for keys and bass, liked it. Specially during the solos. It's really the "live and organic" approach they talked about. (ninja'd by Evai)

Best drum sound in years, I dare to say it's better than some old MP days... It's FAT. POWERFUL. THAT SNARE IS ABSURDLY GOOD. CRACKING. Cymbals are all well audible in the mix.

James is incredible too, full range on. A little buried in the mix, but it doesn't bother me at all. He still shines  :metal

In terms of composition: Lots of nods to Outcry and Moment of Betrayal, which remind me a lot of Behind The Veil (maybe this is the "trademark" of the current line up composition mode... hehe). The pre-solo instrumental reminds me positively of the Constant Motion pre-solo.

It's heavy. It's epic. It's progressive. It's melodic. It's shredding. It has the CHOCOLATE CAKE. And it's just the beginning. Is it Feb 22nd already?

VERY happy to hear about the snare. What kind of sound system were you listening on?