Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 47016 times)

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »
I've spun it about 10 times.

It's got everything you would expect from a modern-day DT song and yet, as hard as I try, I can make no
emotional connection to it at all. Album after album I keep hoping they create something that truly blows me
away and takes me on a journey. The only song that does that, from modern-day DT, is Illumination Theory.

I am continually awed by the speed and precision of Mangini but I have no desire to dissect his fills. They always
sound like machine gun fire to me.

To me, it feels like this song could/should be on one of JLB's solo albums.

I know the band gave it everything they had. They always do. What's missing (for me only) is that genre-leading,
pioneering spirit that drove those classic albums. I've spun those songs hundreds if not thousands of times, and just
like Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Zeppelin, Rush...they still blow me away and take me on a journey. Modern-day DT simply
doesn't do that for me.

I would argue that - with the exception of a small amount of passages - DT has never been or will be a band to take the listener on an emotional journey throught an album. On a proggy/metal journey filled with catchy riffs and technical fills, yes; emotional shiwer down your spine/"teary eyed" laden journey, no. If it is the latter that is your goal, they will never satisfy you - there are other bands out there that are better for that purpose. For me at least, I look to Dream Theater as a band that can provide me the joy of somewhat "easy listening" (using the term loosely) metal/prog where - unless the timesignature are too complex - can tap my foot along to the music or hum/wistle the choruses and main riffs. In that regard, I think the band serves its purpose (remember that Pull Me Under, a rather simplisitc straight forward metal/prog song, is still considered the epitome of DT by the average fan). And for the record, the cliche consept aside, I really enjoyed TA last year as I think DT went outside the box to a certain extent (although at the detrimet of their own success, hence the reason DOT will be "safe"), and this new song is solid - nothing more nothing less.     

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
I like it! I prefer it over the debut singles of the last couple of albums, so that is a good sign for me (and I like all of those albums). I love the riffing in particular. And while there isn't a lot of originality, the quality is there for me.

I think the mix is solid, I can appreciate all elements of the song. My only qualm is that the vocals sound a bit odd. Not Labrie's voice, his performance sounds good, but they way they are recorded(?). They sound a tad tinny or something.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #352 on: December 08, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I really hope it ends up being my least favorite on the album because it does absolutely nothing for me. The Outcry part is cool I guess.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
I've spun it about 10 times.

It's got everything you would expect from a modern-day DT song and yet, as hard as I try, I can make no
emotional connection to it at all. Album after album I keep hoping they create something that truly blows me
away and takes me on a journey. The only song that does that, from modern-day DT, is Illumination Theory.

I am continually awed by the speed and precision of Mangini but I have no desire to dissect his fills. They always
sound like machine gun fire to me.

To me, it feels like this song could/should be on one of JLB's solo albums.

I know the band gave it everything they had. They always do. What's missing (for me only) is that genre-leading,
pioneering spirit that drove those classic albums. I've spun those songs hundreds if not thousands of times, and just
like Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Zeppelin, Rush...they still blow me away and take me on a journey. Modern-day DT simply
doesn't do that for me.

I think it doesn’t help that it’s not that good a song anyway. It’s an ok song, nothing more imo. If you feel like that in general though, I suppose it just happens over time. I have the same thing with Axel Rudi Pell. He put out album after album that I loved but for whatever reason I do not feel the same way about his last few albums. They are not particularly any different from the others but maybe there’s only so many similar sounding songs you can take before diminishing returns sets in. I’ve not reached that with DT yet but this latest song does feel like a bit of a rehash of old ideas only not as well done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
Song sounded better when I listened to it again this morning. I think it'll end up being a song I like, but don't love. I am sure there will be much better songs on the forthcoming album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
Earlier in this thread I said I wasn't going to listen to it and just wait until the album came out. I caved in, I just had to hear it once! 
 I thought it was GREAT!   I'm definitely excited for the album even more now than I was before. I thought the sound was just fine, at least for listening on my cheesy little phone. If anything the vocals seemed a little high in the mix. Others have said that they seem burried in the mix, but it seemed the opposite. I need to hear it on a better sound system to get an accurate take on that.
 Anyway, I loved the song and no complaints here!  :metal :metal :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
I’ve listened to it probably  over 20 times now. I have to admit that the first couple of times through didn’t really do much for me, but it’s definitely been a grower.

The first verse sounds a bit weak, melodically, but the chorus lifts it, and the second verse sounds completely different.

I really like the half time feel coming out of the chorus. It’s a definite head bobbing / air drumming  moment. The harmony section before the final chorus is cool too, where the rhythm guitar backs off and you can hear the interplay between the 3 different parts.

I hear what people have been saying about the vocals being too much in the background, and I noticed it too, but after a couple of listens it doesn’t really bother me any longer.

In short, I think it’s a solid opening single, and it’s definitely got me excited for the rest of the album.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »
It is just disturbing there is huge difference between spotify and youtube (oddly enough spotify is much worse) and add to that I try iTunes today and it has absoluletly best sound. Comparing between spotify and iTunes is like 144P and 1080P.

This way I like the single much more.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
The bass in this mix is very loud, to the point of it almost being overwhelming the other instruments. I don't see why you'd want even more.

What?

Also unless you are a bass player, you probably do not understand what the term presence means

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
So you’re talking about the very specific function on tube amps (which btw is not really bass exclusive as guitar amps has it too), and not the actual mix then. Making yourself clear is important in communication...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
It's totally clicked for me now. Love it. Somehow fun, uplifting, chunky, twiddly. And the vocal fx in the chorus are totally working for me.

Double excited for the whole platter.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »

I would argue that - with the exception of a small amount of passages - DT has never been or will be a band to take the listener on an emotional journey throught an album. On a proggy/metal journey filled with catchy riffs and technical fills, yes; emotional shiwer down your spine/"teary eyed" laden journey, no. If it is the latter that is your goal, they will never satisfy you - there are other bands out there that are better for that purpose. For me at least, I look to Dream Theater as a band that can provide me the joy of somewhat "easy listening" (using the term loosely) metal/prog where - unless the timesignature are too complex - can tap my foot along to the music or hum/wistle the choruses and main riffs. In that regard, I think the band serves its purpose (remember that Pull Me Under, a rather simplisitc straight forward metal/prog song, is still considered the epitome of DT by the average fan). 

Yeah, I would argue against your argument.  There's lots of examples I could pick, but SDOIT is perhaps the best one.  That's a goddamn 42 minute journey if I've ever heard one. Octavarium title track, SFAM, more recently Breaking All Illusions..., 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #362 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »

I would argue that - with the exception of a small amount of passages - DT has never been or will be a band to take the listener on an emotional journey throught an album. On a proggy/metal journey filled with catchy riffs and technical fills, yes; emotional shiwer down your spine/"teary eyed" laden journey, no. If it is the latter that is your goal, they will never satisfy you - there are other bands out there that are better for that purpose. For me at least, I look to Dream Theater as a band that can provide me the joy of somewhat "easy listening" (using the term loosely) metal/prog where - unless the timesignature are too complex - can tap my foot along to the music or hum/wistle the choruses and main riffs. In that regard, I think the band serves its purpose (remember that Pull Me Under, a rather simplisitc straight forward metal/prog song, is still considered the epitome of DT by the average fan). 

Yeah, I would argue against your argument.  There's lots of examples I could pick, but SDOIT is perhaps the best one.  That's a goddamn 42 minute journey if I've ever heard one. Octavarium title track, SFAM, more recently Breaking All Illusions...,

The Astonishing even more recently than that... :)

As for the single - I've heard it, and think it's fine, but will wait until I hear the whole album before deciding how I really feel about it.  I was kinda "meh" on The Gift of Music, and came to love it when the album came out.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
Noxon, have you listened to the whole album already? Just curious to know.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
I can't help but feel sorry for chwik, that DT hasn't hit you on an emotional level. There are many many many moments in DT songs that have given me goosebumps and indeed almost moved me to tears on occasion. DT are one of the best bands in the world at taking you on an emotional journey through the album. They marry that aspect perfectly with technical music making and "chops", so to speak. And even with the chops, the emotions experienced can include thrill, excitement, anger, rage.

Offline majo

« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »
Honestly, I'm just hoping for a decent sound and mix -  trying to avoid the youtube compression dilemma, so hoping to purchase a decent version on iTunes if available or wherever I can buy a nice finished product.
no yt dilemma really. if the sound is good it will sound good on yt also (millions of examples out there). if the sound is shit on yt it's usually shit (unless heavily altered before actual release)
as for the song itself: meh, same shit again. kinda similar to Syme's approach with the artwork  :biggrin:
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #366 on: December 08, 2018, 01:57:20 PM »
...I think it'll end up being a song I like, but don't love. I am sure there will be much better songs on the forthcoming album.

Basically how I feel. There's a lot of cool stuff going on here (like the old school synth patch under the guitar at the beginning, and I ***love*** the riff you first hear at 2:04), but there's DT songs I like more.

That said, do give it a listen on Spotify or something other than Youtube if you can. The overall mix is less blocky sounding, the drums sound much better, and the bass goes from inaudible to sounding really good.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
ReaPsTA!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JLa

« Reply #368 on: December 08, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
It's still good! Not a classic by any means, but a solid single. Sounds very similar to the stuff on their self titled one. Maybe this will be the 'trademark' sound of this lineup?

I can't help but lip syncing (I really want to sing, but... family and neighbours... I choose not to...) when the chorus returns at 4:48. Great stuff.

Heh, Spotify put on "The Enemy Inside" when the song finished, and YIKES those two are mixed differently. I had UA at a comfortable level on headphones and when TEI started it was SUPER LOUD. Ouch!

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #369 on: December 08, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
I can't help but feel sorry for chwik, that DT hasn't hit you on an emotional level. There are many many many moments in DT songs that have given me goosebumps and indeed almost moved me to tears on occasion. DT are one of the best bands in the world at taking you on an emotional journey through the album. They marry that aspect perfectly with technical music making and "chops", so to speak. And even with the chops, the emotions experienced can include thrill, excitement, anger, rage.

I guess I am not the emotional type then ;) And for the record, I really enjoy DT - in fact they are one of my favorite bands - however, for pure emotions I do listen to other bands. DT, in that sence, tingles more the technical rather than the deep emotional side of music for my part. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
ReaPsTA!

A new album is upon us! I couldn't stay away!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:58:20 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »
Killer track.  I think I'm going to really dig the nugget-sized songs on this album.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #372 on: December 08, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Isn't it amazing how art can have so many different opinions and they're all correct?  This song has everything from 'it sucks' to 'it rocks' and everything in between.

For me, Untethered Angel is middle of the road.  It didn't grab me and my very first thought was 'Outcry' and it held onto that sound/feel for most of the song.

I think back to last time when The Gift of Music was the first single and it was 10/10 and blew me away.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »

Due to my "upgraded" role in the DT sphere as the fan club leader, I find it very hard to be objective anymore - mostly due to me getting close to a lot of the people who work with DT and DT themselves. Therefore I'm not going to be doing what I did for previous releases. At least not in that scale.

Yes, I have. And I love it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
.005 font! Good to hear.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
After reading much of this thread, some of the more negative opinions always intrigue me. Of course opinions will range from those who love it to those that don’t, but when it’s accused of being nothing new or the “same old shit”, I have to wonder about expectations.

14 albums in, and this band has given us a bit of everything. Many of the singles they have released are generally a bit more straight up and “accessible “ - and once again this song seems to fit that bill. Surely by now we understand their sound and the elements that make them DT - why wouldn’t they have similarities and some of their signature sound in the new music?  Songs like “Lie” and “Hollow Years” were released from Awake and FII, and in the case of Lie, released with a video minus the rip-roaring solo and context of its album connection to The Mirror etc. So if you were introduced to these songs on MTv back then, they wouldn’t have been anything earth shattering, but came from terrific albums. I guess I’m just trying to point out that by this stage in the catalogue, we usually have a fair understanding of how the first single generally goes.

I’ve been with these guys since I&W, and love the fact that to this day, they are bringing out new music, and get genuinely excited for new albums and singles. I don’t have preconceived expectations because after all this time, I know every album has given me something to like. I just aim to enjoy the ride without overthinking stuff I guess...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #376 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
Not making any prejudgment about the album but find the single a bit underwhelming that is all.  I’m aware that this is not likely to be the high point of the album so am still looking forward to it. I will say though that I immediately loved The Gift Of Music and consider OTBOA to be a classic DT song now so it’s not always the case that the single is weak. Not that UA is terrible, it isn’t, it just hasn’t raised my excitement level for the album in  the way I was hoping.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #377 on: December 08, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »
Long time lurker.  Used to post a bit years ago. 

I have listened to the single about 8 times or so now....

This is definitely "modern DT paint by numbers" with one exception.. the middle of the instrumental section has more energy and actually reminds me of 90's DT.

One thing that drives me crazy though.... when I go back and listen to 90's DT every instrument is SO clear, the vocals are raw and sound amazing and you can hear everything perfectly.

Everything is insanely muddled now with them.    You can barely even hear Labrie on this song and the keys by jordan are buried so low it almost distracts from the song.

DT just simply changed after Six Degrees.   I thought the Astonishing was a slight return to form in terms of not needing to sound like NU Metal on every song.   This one has gone back to the "too much metal" side for me.   

I don't mind heavy, I love Awake but Awake is dynamic, has an amazing soundscape and takes you on a progressive journey.   

Anyways, I hope this is the most straight forward song on the album and that we can hear the vocals more clearly on the rest of the tracks.

Im not expecting another SFAM, but when you go back and listen to that its almost hard to believe this is the same band.  They used to be influenced by Rush, Pink Floyd, Metallica.... im not quite sure who they sound like now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:22:20 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: December 08, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
"Love the Drake" :)

One thing that drives me crazy though.... when I go back and listen to 90's DT every instrument is SO clear, the vocals are raw and sound amazing and you can hear everything perfectly.

Isn't this more an aspect of music in general, something that could be said about most bands, and not a defining characteristic specific to DT?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
Definitely.... I don't even love 90's music (im a 60's and 70's guy) but 90's music sounded much better.    I just don't understand why DT can't go back to that. 

Im not an engineer and I am definitely a laymen on music production in general.... just because music in general sounds bad today it means DT has to?   

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »

Due to my "upgraded" role in the DT sphere as the fan club leader, I find it very hard to be objective anymore - mostly due to me getting close to a lot of the people who work with DT and DT themselves. Therefore I'm not going to be doing what I did for previous releases. At least not in that scale.

Yes, I have. And I love it.

So, this means you won’t post your usual in-depth review? I hope, at least, you keep giving us little pieces of information from the album :tup

Feb 22 can’t get soon enough.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
Middle section sounds like Outcry.  Vocals are muddled and drowned out.  Recycled DT by numbers.  I don’t get it.  When are these guys gonna start getting back to their roots of original progressive metal?  I’m sick and tired of this shit!!

Who would have thought…?
Well, DT obviously didn’t put much thought into it.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2018, 02:26:01 AM »
Middle section sounds like Outcry.  Vocals are muddled and drowned out.  Recycled DT by numbers.  I don’t get it.  When are these guys gonna start getting back to their roots of original progressive metal?  I’m sick and tired of this shit!!

Who would have thought…?
Well, DT obviously didn’t put much thought into it.  :p

Haha, I don't know because I didn't listen. Maybe I would have if I had thought about it. ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #383 on: December 09, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »
Im not expecting another SFAM, but when you go back and listen to that its almost hard to believe this is the same band.  They used to be influenced by Rush, Pink Floyd, Metallica.... im not quite sure who they sound like now.

Like modern DT and that's already Something. Welcome back to the forum as a poster btw.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:44:45 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #384 on: December 09, 2018, 02:35:51 AM »
DT put a lot of thought into the making of this album. The preparations, the vibe in studio, the fun they had while making it. It reinvigorated them after the poor reception by a certain group of fans of the astonishing. So to say they didn’t care, didn’t try to make something cool.. I dunno where to even start.