Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46931 times)

Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
I liked the little unison part that is only accompanied by drums and bass, and no additional rythm guitar.

Offline PMA

« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
Posted this in the other thread on the album release:

Just listened to Untethered Angel and my initial reaction is that it hits all the more typical DT compositional elements.  No real surprises.  Hoping that the Youtube sound is not representative of their actual release.  Sounded more compressed than I would like but I was glad to hear more keys and bass than usual.  It's not a bad song but not in the same league as other material they've released prior.  For example, if Breaking All Illusions is an A+, this would be a B in my opinion.  Of course, their playing is stellar as usual and I did like the split screen video including some quick flybys of their cooking for each other.  I'm still really looking forward to this release and am hoping that this tease is just the tip of the iceberg with true surprises coming.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
Video nugget...

At 5:24, you hear 3 crashes but Mangini doesn't play the first one in the video.

Not a complaint, just something I noticed.

Carry on...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Maybe the song could have used a reprise of the calm intro after the very last chord, and just fade away, or end like the intro.

That would've been cool, a Beyond This Life-esque outro. I can't help but to feel that it ends just like Moment of Betrayal. I don't mind it, tho. This song structure I think makes way more sense in a live setting.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Mladen

« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
I'm enjoying the single quite a bit. It's not particularly pushing the envelope, but there are some quirky bits thrown in in order not to make this a typical modern DT single. The section from 2:16 up to 2:51 is brilliant. I enjoy the solos as well, especially the unison. The chorus is very solid, as well as the outro.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
That is the perfect video for DT. Just them being them doing their thing, not trying to look all cool and tough or anything. Love it.

Song is still meh though. Not bad. Not great. Mostly forgettable with some cool moments.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
That is the perfect video for DT. Just them being them doing their thing, not trying to look all cool and tough or anything. Love it.

Totally agree, I love the simplicity of it plus you get to watch the guys do what they do best.  But I also love how it's such a trend for cover bands to make youtube videos with the multiple cameras so in a way this is like the professionals doing it.  Redemption did it for a music video too and I really love it as someone who loves watching bands perform. 

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
After the grandeur of The Astonishing, I knew that this would be a more straightforward DT album, but holy shit the single is so underwhelming.  It's just "metal DT" by numbers with no sign of the melody and compositional magic that they're so good at.  Listen to Dystopian Overture/TGoM then listen to this and there's just no comparison. 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Listen to Dystopian Overture/TGoM then listen to this and there's just no comparison.

Seems like what they are going after though, although I'd imagine there's more of what you are looking for on the album since DT's singles are all fairly like this, straightforward DT.  I do think there is melody in this song though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »
Yeah, there is PLENTY of melody in this song.  I do agree that there is "no comparison" between Dystopian Overture/TGoM and Untethered Angel.  But that is because they are such completely different types of songs as to make comparisons kind of pointless.

EDIT:  Oh, hi Mr. Petrucci. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
Love the heavy riff after the chorus!!! I don't know why, but I enjoyed the song much more after watching the video. sonically, it still bothers me that it's so compressed, but this is going to sound amazing live.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
I thought after one listen the song was pretty decent.  James' vocals are very bizarre, but only in the verses, the chorus is fine IMO.  Really sounds like ITNOG/CM/TDEN kind of feel which I dig.  It's DT sounding like DT though, but promising start already over TA.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
I thought after one listen the song was pretty decent.  James' vocals are very bizarre, but only in the verses, the chorus is fine IMO.  Really sounds like ITNOG/CM/TDEN kind of feel which I dig.  It's DT sounding like DT though, but promising start already over TA.

Bizarre indeed. Funny how thy said so many times that the new album was organic, but it seems kind of overproduced, at least in the vocals department. On the positive side, Mangini sounds MUCH better than before, and we can hear Myung's bass after such a long time!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Love the heavy riff after the chorus!!! I don't know why, but I enjoyed the song much more after watching the video. sonically, it still bothers me that it's so compressed, but this is going to sound amazing live.
This, I have the same feel about liking it much after watching the video. I won't complain about the sound, it's ok for me. Bassline in chorus is simple and perfect - it's a great choice not to exactly follow JP, just pump the E string, sometimes less means better!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
Yeah, there is PLENTY of melody in this song.

Yeah, no doubt.

Just listened to the song again after some meetings at work and it feels fresh to me. Not just because it's new, but it has a good, exciting energy to it.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
I liked the little unison part that is only accompanied by drums and bass, and no additional rythm guitar.
If you're referring to that part before the last chorus, it's not unison
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
I followed the "order" link on the YouTube video and see there's a $150 collector's cd box set available for Distance Over Time.  Wow!  I wish DT would do a t-shirt/cd bundle like many other bands do these days though, as I always go for those bundles. 

Also, anyone know where that photo was taken of DT in front of the river on Blabbermouth?  Looks like Watkins Glen State Park or Letchwork State Park in upstate New York, possibly.  Just curious.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:42:15 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
I'm still unsure about the drum sound.
Lacks the necessary dynamics imo.

Why would you expect much dynamics in the drums in a song that's heavy from start to finish? I don't get it.

So it doesn't sound super mechanical?

You copied my avatar!! LOL (I changed it around page 5-6 on this thread ;) )

« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »
If you're referring to that part before the last chorus, it's not unison
I just listened to it once, but I guess youre right, it's harmonies, the point is I like the 'live feel' of that section.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »
As others have mentioned, the lack of guitar overdubs in this song is appreciated, especially during the solo trade-off.

It's weird though... I don't feel even remotely qualified to criticize the work they do, but I hope the rest of the album is better than this... Right now there's a lack of any sort of emotional connection. Gonna stay out of the picture until I can buy the whole album.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »

Now this thread has really ‘poked the bear’
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
Right now there's a lack of any sort of emotional connection.

Yes!  I think this is what I was trying to say above.  There's melody, for sure, but not the special kind of melody that only DT can write.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Please increase the bass presence!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
Uhm. I think there's enough bass in the mix as it is :P

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
Sorry, but to my ears that was THE MOST UNINSPIRED song DT has ever recorded. Hopefully it will sound better in the context of the new album, but UA is a big FAIL for me!  :tdwn
PS JLB sounds horrible. Not his voice but the way his sound is coming across.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
excuse my naivety, but is there a purpose to the intro? is it repeated anywhere?

seems it was just thrown in there to be an intro.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline genome

« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »
One thing that puzzles me about new album releases is that prog metalheads seem to spend half the time talking about the mix rather than the actual song.

Do fans of other genres do this? Do dubstep fans argue that Skrillex's bass doesn't wub enough in the 100hz region?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #308 on: December 07, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
MM's posts:

SAME KIT AS ADTOE except the 24" BD. Cymbals are up high for isolation and because it is fun for me to do different things.

To answer many KIT questions from many sites: ADToE used the 5.5" depth 20Ply Reference Snare. Self titled used the same 6.5" depth D.O.T. snare but tuned very low. Astonishing used it too but tuned a bit higher. D.O.T. also uses it, but tuned at its highest. So 3 of 4 albums are with this snare: same as Breaking the 4th Wall. The D.O.T. toms are the same as ADToE while the kick is the first 24" kick. It is a Reference Series. The Self Titled and Luna Park toms & kicks are the same. The Astonishing & 4th Wall entire kits are the same.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
This song could end up being a grower!

I've listened to it a few times now, I got better feelings for it already. I like the second verse, probably my favorite part of the song.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
I'm loving this song. It's got the right hooks and enough "Dream Theaterisms" with not overdoing it. That JP riff at the 2:00 min, I just can't get it out of my head. I liked the effects on James' voice. Suits the song very well imo. Finally, a good drum mix, although keys seem to be a bit low. Other than that, I would say bring it!!  :tup

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Uhm. I think there's enough bass in the mix as it is :P

Umm, no

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
Cymbals are up high for isolation and because it is fun for me to do different things.

Ah, interesting.  That makes sense.  Although I will say (and this is just an observation, and not in any way a jab at Mangini) that Mike Portnoy was and is a master at miking his entire kit and getting every piece to cut through the mix quite well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline genome

« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »
Case in point ^

Offline danidogma

« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
I love Dream Theater but I don't understand what they meant when they said that the sound would be more organic...the drums are a little better than The Astonishing, but they still sound a little "automatic".
As for the guitar tone, I hope it's for Youtube, but in my humble opinion, in the cover of Xanadu (Rush), it sounds like a thousand times better, more present, more crunchy and definite.
The voice is buried in effects, I'm more of a fan of more direct sounds, but I understand that it will be the finish they wanted to give to the song.
I like the song but it is clearly below the three previous singles. The vocal melodies aren't what I just got, but James sings it quite well.