Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 47022 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
I like it! The vocals do feel a bit low, but I had the same feeling with The Enemy Inside at first and now I think it's fine. Also did Jordan used a different lead patch than usual? I feel that his solo sounded really good.

I think he played both his solos on a Hammond Organ.

I see, thanks! I always liked his solos better when he's using something else than his usual lead sound, so I hope he uses the organ some more on the album :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
A comment on the drum sound.  A couple of folks said they feel that it lacks "dynamics."  (sorry, I usually like to quote posts, but there have been a lot of comments in the last few pages)  I partly agree.  But here's the thing, Mangini puts a TON of emphasis on playing in a very consistent manner.  He wants all of his hits to sound precise and identical to one another.  He really values that precision and works hard to achieve that.  That is just part of his style.  But I get that it can can also make his playing sound a bit "mechanical" at times simply because his style is kind of the antithesis of using variation on volume of his drum hits to achieve effect.  Rather, he simply uses all the different instruments on his kit to achieve variation.  That is a very different style than Portnoy.  And a very different style from the vast majority of rock/metal drummers.  I do miss what Portnoy brought to the table in that regard, because I think he was not only very good at it, but also used it to great effect to add a lot of complexity and nuance to DT's sound.  But I get what Mangini brings to the table as well.  It is just an entirely different thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2018, 09:39:54 AM »
A comment on the drum sound.  A couple of folks said they feel that it lacks "dynamics."  (sorry, I usually like to quote posts, but there have been a lot of comments in the last few pages)  I partly agree.  But here's the thing, Mangini puts a TON of emphasis on playing in a very consistent manner.  He wants all of his hits to sound precise and identical to one another.  He really values that precision and works hard to achieve that.  That is just part of his style.  But I get that it can can also make his playing sound a bit "mechanical" at times simply because his style is kind of the antithesis of using variation on volume of his drum hits to achieve effect.  Rather, he simply uses all the different instruments on his kit to achieve variation.  That is a very different style than Portnoy.  And a very different style from the vast majority of rock/metal drummers.  I do miss what Portnoy brought to the table in that regard, because I think he was not only very good at it, but also used it to great effect to add a lot of complexity and nuance to DT's sound.  But I get what Mangini brings to the table as well.  It is just an entirely different thing.

Yeah, what he said.^^^ perfect.

...and for those who don’t read back pages, they did release the OFFICIAL video https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
I like the vocal effects. It's something they haven't done too much so, here's to something newer for DT.
That keyboard solo is nuts. Jordan is the all-star on this song.
As a drummer, I don't see how it could be comfortable to play cymbals that stinkin' high up. Maybe for recording purposes? My shoulders would kill after 1 song.
I really love the section from 2:34 to 2:52.
The video is great! Petrucci's face at is hilarious at 3:23.

The song is a grower. The first 2 listens I thought it was pretty much "stock" MM era DT. After the 4th listen, it clicked with me. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
These are the reasons why MM is one of my heroes.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
It's only really the keyboard/tom-tom bit in the middle that reminded me of Outcry. My initial just-woken-up reminiscence of the intro was The Count of Tuscany, but then later I thought In the Name of God might work better as a comparison. And the chorus brought to mind A Nightmare to Remember ("Life was so simple then...").

Very impressed. The song has grown on me with each listen.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
I like that John Myung keeps nodding at the end of the video when the song is over.   He is in that space. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
Good song!  Still sinking in for me, but I get a "Moment of Betrayal" vibe for some reason.  Love the live playthrough video!  I'd definitely welcome more of that type of stuff from DT. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
Guys I just listening iTunes version of single and this high quality version is mindblowing. There is no way to have opinion without listen this version. Spotify and YT version are really awfully compress.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
I listened to the audio-only 3 times this morning.  After those listens, I must say, I didn't love it.  I did, however, think it would be a monster live.

After seeing the official video (which sounds much better, BTW), I "get" it more.  I still think it's the least of the MM-era initial singles (I prefer On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, and The Gift of Music), but I like it more than I did.  Not bad.

Looking forward to hearing more of the new material.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
Maybe it's my headphones, but I really miss a nice snappy-sounding snare.  The snare here sounds way too muffled for my liking.

I agree that it will be a monster live.  I see where the comparisons are coming re: belonging on ADToE, but I personally have no feelings about that one way or the other.

I dig the hard Hammond sound underlying everything.

I agree with whoever said that MM having his toms up high is ergonomically questionable.  In theory I have no dog in that fight, but from a lay perspective, it looks like he actually has to reach for them, lifting off his stool a bit.  Whatever floats his boat, I guess.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »
Doesn't blow me away, but I am definitely enjoying it. The intro is beautiful and the outro kicks ass. Also love the instrumental section, very tasty indeed.
I'm not loving the production, however. Its good to hear the bass and the drums do sound better, but it's really muddy. I hope this is just the usual YouTube compression.
The whole song speeds by so fast I wish it was longer! This is a good thing, though.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »

Agreed 100%, and let me add something: metal drums usually lack dynamics big time. The modern approach to mixing metal seeks an even balance of drum kit intensity, while keeping a pretty constant kick drum and snare level. This is a 100% metal track, and the approach to the production was like that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Guys I just listening iTunes version of single and this high quality version is mindblowing. There is no way to have opinion without listen this version. Spotify and YT version are really awfully compress.
Holy shit, agreed 100%. I just checked out the iTunes version and it's so superior sonically.

EVERYONE CHECK IT OUT PLS.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
I'd definitely welcome more of that type of stuff from DT. :)

Signed.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »

Agreed 100%, and let me add something: metal drums usually lack dynamics big time. The modern approach to mixing metal seeks an even balance of drum kit intensity, while keeping a pretty constant kick drum and snare level. This is a 100% metal track, and the approach to the production was like that.

Yup and yup. I think the drums on this sound solid for sure. Snare could use a little more snap, but it's not bad. I think at this point if someone listens to this and HATES the drum sounds, like Bosk described, you might just not like MM's approach to playing, which is totally fine.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
I like it. I agree with another assessment that it sounds eerily similar to Lost Not Forgotten--at least in the chorus, but it definitely has "first single" appeal. Not as much as say... OTBOA, but still. I think they've done a good job of mixing Mangini in this time. Still has The Astonishing sound, but that's ok. I do hope for Mangini's sake, he takes a larger kit on the road. Having watched the video they released with it, I can't imagine playing cymbals that high off the kit night after night. Talk about some serious muscle strain. :lol
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »

Yup and yup. I think the drums on this sound solid for sure. Snare could use a little more snap, but it's not bad. I think at this point if someone listens to this and HATES the drum sounds, like Bosk described, you might just not like MM's approach to playing, which is totally fine.

Yeah, which would be kinda weird considering that 85% of other modern metal bands sound just like this. If someone loves Periphery's production approach and hates this would sound to me as some negative bias towards MM, just because he isn't MP  :lol (and I've seen plenty of that in the past 8 years).

MM's performance was great, and I think that if this song was to be released by another artist (excluding JLB's extremely recognizable voice) some people wouldn't even make a flinch. I know it's more complicated, and I know DT has 14 albums and a wonderful EP as a musical history; and everything they do will inevitably be compared to that, but I've found really cool the activity of just shutting down the "compare this song to their previous stuff" chip and just enjoy it for what it is.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »
There's totally a large bias towards MP, but again that's against many bands that had an original member leaving.
Clear example is people saying that I&W triggered drum sound is awesome and characteristic, when we all know MP clearly didn't intend that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
Yeah, which would be kinda weird considering that 85% of other modern metal bands sound just like this. If someone loves Periphery's production approach and hates this would sound to me as some negative bias towards MM, just because he isn't MP  :lol (and I've seen plenty of that in the past 8 years).

MM's performance was great, and I think that if this song was to be released by another artist (excluding JLB's extremely recognizable voice) some people wouldn't even make a flinch. I know it's more complicated, and I know DT has 14 albums and a wonderful EP as a musical history; and everything they do will inevitably be compared to that, but I've found really cool the activity of just shutting down the "compare this song to their previous stuff" chip and just enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with your overall point here, but I will say that, to my ears, Periphery gets a much better drum sound and overall mix/production. Nolly is my favorite engineer/producer in modern rock/metal right now. I think his approach to drum engineering is second to none. Also, Matt's drumming style requires a little more flex in the snare sound with his heavy use of ghost notes. So their snare sound tends to be a little less compressed and relies on the room mics more. That said, I agree with your larger point. I think a predisposition toward MM has more to do with some people's reactions than the actual sound of the drums on this single.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
Agreed. Periphery is better at it essentially because they've put out like 6 albums that sound just like that. They've perfected the style and they've even made business selling their drum samples and guitar tones (which sound pretty neat BTW). DT changes things up every time regarding approach and production because their music is so much more diverse than Periphery's; but Untethered Angel is a fine modern metal track that maybe was overcompressed quite a bit but is still nice (the iTunes version sounds much better tho).
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
As someone who came to the world of DT through ToT I can appreciate the heavy stuff more than usual. And I might have obsessed a bit this time, because I have played it on repeat virtually nonstop since I woke up this morning. I have enabled scrobbling to last.fm on Spotify, and at the time of writing this I have according to that site played the song 85 times.  ::)

That being said, there's no surprise I have also got some impressions, and who wouldn't when they listen to something that many times?  :lol

The intro riff reminded me of the TCoT intro. Also the last guitar chord would be a nice transition into SOC live.
Happy to hear they more or less managed to mix MM roughly the same as he was mixed on Into The Great Divide.
I don't mind how JLB is mixed with regards to the vocal effects. It fits great in the fabric of the song.
And that Hammond Organ!  :chill
That section from 3:28 and to the end  :metal

I'm curious to learn where the backstory for the lyrics comes from, what inspired the lyricist? Because I interpret the lyrics to be maybe be about something related to mental health.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
I'm curious to learn where the backstory for the lyrics comes from, what inspired the lyricist? Because I interpret the lyrics to be maybe be about something related to mental health.

I haven't heard the song yet, but in an interview Petrucci said that it was more about unfilfilled potential, people being afraid to do what they love because they might fail, that kind of stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
JESUS F* CHRIST

Another nugget in the first verses, specially because of the focking mellotrons:

Have you woke up screaming in the silence of the night?
You wish you could start dreaming in clouds of white
But everything could change tonight
When you duel with the devil living in your mind

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »
As someone who came to the world of DT through ToT I can appreciate the heavy stuff more than usual. And I might have obsessed a bit this time, because I have played it on repeat virtually nonstop since I woke up this morning. I have enabled scrobbling to last.fm on Spotify, and at the time of writing this I have according to that site played the song 85 times.  ::)

That being said, there's no surprise I have also got some impressions, and who wouldn't when they listen to something that many times?  :lol

The intro riff reminded me of the TCoT intro. Also the last guitar chord would be a nice transition into SOC live.
Happy to hear they more or less managed to mix MM roughly the same as he was mixed on Into The Great Divide.
I don't mind how JLB is mixed with regards to the vocal effects. It fits great in the fabric of the song.

Ah I can relate to this
The Astonishing actually ruined my life.
I couldn't stop hearing it, heard it every hour of the day, had it on a cycle in Spotify.
Stopped going to school until eventually I was fired, stopped eating and pretty much wanted to be Gabriel, so I started singing with all my heart until I couldn't do no more. I heard around 900+ hours of The Astonishing. I was also fired from my band because I was totally consumed and was hearing it during rehearsals so I fucked up songs all the time, because I could only hear The Astonishing.
Then I went to the show...
They played The Astonishing, best moment of my life, but then it ended...
They didn't play it twice...
That pissed me off so hard...
I was so used to hearing Descent of the NOMAC's again after Astonishing that I couldn't endure this, so I yelled at Petrucci to start again, he didn't listen.

I felt so betrayed.

Worth noting that my Astonishing CD's where destoyed beyond recovery because of too much abuse.

So yes, I get you, you're going that way.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
Any word on who wrote the lyrics to this one?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »

In the Rolling Stone interview Petrucci talked about it, I guess it's penned by him.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
I listened to the audio-only 3 times this morning.  After those listens, I must say, I didn't love it.  I did, however, think it would be a monster live.

After seeing the official video (which sounds much better, BTW), I "get" it more.  I still think it's the least of the MM-era initial singles (I prefer On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, and The Gift of Music), but I like it more than I did.  Not bad.

Looking forward to hearing more of the new material.

Same for me. Watching them play it made me enjoy it more. Still not loving it but it is good. Looking forward to the album. I will say that I've officially come to terms with the fact that DT is no longer my favorite band.

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »

Composer, Lyricist, Producer: John Petrucci

From the official audio on youtube.

Offline rab7

« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »

In the Rolling Stone interview Petrucci talked about it, I guess it's penned by him.

This was not talked about in the RS interview. It was in here, though:

https://www.myjaxchamber.com/news/2018/11/14/member-news/the-distance-over-time-tour-celebrating-20-years-of-scenes-from-a-memory/

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »

Ah I can relate to this
The Astonishing actually ruined my life.
I couldn't stop hearing it, heard it every hour of the day, had it on a cycle in Spotify.
Stopped going to school until eventually I was fired, stopped eating and pretty much wanted to be Gabriel, so I started singing with all my heart until I couldn't do no more. I heard around 900+ hours of The Astonishing. I was also fired from my band because I was totally consumed and was hearing it during rehearsals so I fucked up songs all the time, because I could only hear The Astonishing.
Then I went to the show...
They played The Astonishing, best moment of my life, but then it ended...
They didn't play it twice...
That pissed me off so hard...
I was so used to hearing Descent of the NOMAC's again after Astonishing that I couldn't endure this, so I yelled at Petrucci to start again, he didn't listen.

I felt so betrayed.

Worth noting that my Astonishing CD's where destoyed beyond recovery because of too much abuse.

So yes, I get you, you're going that way.

Good to know.  :lol
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
I like it when DT go a little heavier and this is what I wanted for ADTOE - keep the idea and some noodling, cut the detours. I also like the weird vocal effects, but imo they clash with the organic sound of the synth.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Agreed. Periphery is better at it essentially because they've put out like 6 albums that sound just like that. They've perfected the style and they've even made business selling their drum samples and guitar tones (which sound pretty neat BTW). DT changes things up every time regarding approach and production because their music is so much more diverse than Periphery's; but Untethered Angel is a fine modern metal track that maybe was overcompressed quite a bit but is still nice (the iTunes version sounds much better tho).

Agreed on all counts. Getgood Drums is a fantastic product.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
Maybe the song could have used a reprise of the calm intro after the very last chord, and just fade away, or end like the intro.
Jatruccyundessgini