Author Topic: Netflix vs Prime  (Read 1997 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Netflix vs Prime
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:42:31 AM »
Just discovered Prime, and as a long-time Netflix user, man, the 'Flix is so much better.
I've already watched everything I wanted to watch on Prime, and now there's no new content coming.
Also, I start watching a series on Prime, and every time I shut off the TV, I have to do a search for the show I was watching.
Netflix has its downers too. I effin' hate subtitles. They release new shows like it's the second coming, and then I try to watch what looks like a great show. Damnit, it's in Spanish, next...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Netflix vs Prime
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:06:51 AM »
Prime has some good content - Jack Ryan was awesome.   But we've been pleased with Netflix and haven't felt the need to subscribe to Prime video. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »
Yeah Prime has plenty of really good stuff. I'd say both have different strengths. Netflix undoubtedly has more original content, and so I do watch more Netflix stuff and Prime stuff. However, Netflix does have a really annoying tendency to cancel really good shows, even when they're left on cliffhangers, which Amazon seems to do much less.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:25:34 AM »
I like Prime for Movies and Netflix for shows.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
However, Netflix does have a really annoying tendency to cancel really good shows, even when they're left on cliffhangers, which Amazon seems to do much less.

I know it would be a nightmare for logistic and contractual reasons, but there should be a clause somewhere that if you get your show cancelled, as an author you're entitled to a final, one-off extra episode to finish off the story. Of course some shows can't have a one-episode closure - can you imagine Game of Thrones bombing and the writers being asked to wrap it up in a 2 hour final special episode? still, there should be a way to work around the logistics of the business, and grant some, ANY kind of closure to people following a show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
Or to avoid contractual impracticalities, networks could simply not be dicks and could offer a one-off finale or final season as standard protocol. And not only when fans kick up a huge fuss, like Netflix did with Sense8.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »
Indeed. Also, this affects the writing, there are quite some shows that feel rushed because "OMG they will cancel us" or they plod along because "We have to make more money".

I read once the perfect analogy for these situations - imagine you're a baby sitter and you're told you have to entertain a toddler for 3 hours. You prepare all the stuff to make the lil' kid having a good time. Then the parents call, "We're stuck in traffic" or whatever, and suddenly you have to entertain the kid for 2 more hours when you already did your best stuff and games.

Shows being milked for additional seasons are just like that... not knowing what to do until it's time to wrap it up. One of the many reasons why Breaking Bad is so acclaimed is that it told the story it wanted to tell, sure they clinged to it with an extra long final season split over 2 years but still we didn't get 8 seasons of Breaking Bad with Walter White going in remission twice or thrice because the show "had" to go on and on and on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
The original material on Prime is really strong (Goliath, Sneaky Pete, The Man in the High Castle, The Tick, etc).  But there is certainly a lot MORE original content on Netflix.

I like both.  But they are certainly different from one another, and Hulu is different from either one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
I have prime, I've never used the video streaming feature.  They send me emails reminding me I have it with my prime membership, but I don't really have much interest.  I don't have netflix, but I feel like Netflix has a lot more content and they seem to be on a roll with a consistent amount of quality original TV.  I'm not sure if Prime is matching that, it doesn't seem like it from what I hear, but I haven't actually used it to know.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
Just discovered Prime, and as a long-time Netflix user, man, the 'Flix is so much better.
I've already watched everything I wanted to watch on Prime, and now there's no new content coming.
Also, I start watching a series on Prime, and every time I shut off the TV, I have to do a search for the show I was watching.
Netflix has its downers too. I effin' hate subtitles. They release new shows like it's the second coming, and then I try to watch what looks like a great show. Damnit, it's in Spanish, next...

Hmm, if I start watching a show/movie on Prime, it is always in the first slot of my "watch next" tab.

I LOVE both. They both have great original shows with obviously healthy budgets since they draw a lot of big name actors and fx that rival theater releases.

Prime offers movie channels like HBO..etc, which is a buck cheaper that traditional route. I do a bunch of online shopping through Amazon, so the free shipping is worth it, and they give a ton of music with the service, so prime benefits me more than Netflix, but I watch them both equally.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
Regarding cancelled shows. Those which have been cancelled, should have a disclaimer before you invest time into it. Now, I do research on shows before I start watching.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »
Regarding cancelled shows. Those which have been cancelled, should have a disclaimer before you invest time into it. Now, I do research on shows before I start watching.

You don't watch shows that have been cancelled? You're missing out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
Both services have good stuff, but Amazon's UI is complete dog shit. Wish they'd revamp it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
Both services have good stuff, but Amazon's UI is complete dog shit. Wish they'd revamp it.

I honestly can't believe how it's still as terrible as it is. When it first came out I let it slide, but it's been years now. I hate that I can't just go to a "Top Gear" page that contains all the seasons. No. Instead I have to search for the show and find 20+ seasons in completely random order. I don't get it.