Author Topic: Your Thoughts On Live Pitch Correction for James?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
Re: Your Thoughts On Live Pitch Correction for James?
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 05:05:26 AM »
Iím one of the lucky ones I guess as Iíve never come out of any DT show with any complaints about JLBís voice. Quite the opposite in fact, Iím always blown away at how well he still sings 20+ year old songs. Not saying he is the greatest live frontman of all time or anything but he has never detracted from the show at all for me. I know everyone canít be wrong and he must have some off nights but Iíve never seen one in person and I take no notice of cellphone recordings on YouTube. Not keen on his voice on OIALT or CIM but not sure if thatís his fault or a poor quality recording as he sounds fine to me on the other more polished live albums.
+1000

Offline Robo4900

• Bacon Connoisseur
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:28 AM »
Score was not pitch corrected either.  There was some overdubbing, but very minimal, as confirmed both by the band and simply by comparison with bootlegs.
Are you sure? A few bootlegs sometimes pop up on Youtube that sound a little rougher than the finished DVD. I know you guys who were there listened to the bootlegs and compared and all but that was a long time ago.
Noxon at one point shared some segments of Score that are commonly cited for this, with the bootleg panned to one ear, the official DVD panned to the other, and some processing to make them run at exactly the same speed. It's definitely the same recording, with only a couple of short bits overdubbed.

In fact, if you listen to Score enough, you'll eventually kind of start to notice the overdubs. It is quite noticeable when they cut in. And they're pretty brief. Honestly you could probably count on two hands the number of words overdubbed throughout Score.

The main reason Score sounds so different on the DVD compared to from a bootleg when you A/B compare them is simply the mixing and mastering; on the bootleg, you've got a pretty poor quality recording that's being blown out and doesn't capture remotely what it actually sounded like to the people at the show on the night. The recording makes LaBrie sound shrill, thin, and screechy.
Listen to the DVD, with its proper mixing and mastering, and it's much better; full, powerful, present, etc. Closer to how he sounded at the show, to the people who were actually there. Though with a few short overdubs thrown in there too, because it's a DVD and generally it's common practise to make DVDs sound perfect. Not to throw shade on Budokan, but that DVD could probably have used a little overdubbing(waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall).

Iím one of the lucky ones I guess as Iíve never come out of any DT show with any complaints about JLBís voice. Quite the opposite in fact, Iím always blown away at how well he still sings 20+ year old songs. Not saying he is the greatest live frontman of all time or anything but he has never detracted from the show at all for me. I know everyone canít be wrong and he must have some off nights but Iíve never seen one in person and I take no notice of cellphone recordings on YouTube. Not keen on his voice on OIALT or CIM but not sure if thatís his fault or a poor quality recording as he sounds fine to me on the other more polished live albums.
Y'know, it's funny... This reminds me of something my cousin told me; he's been seeing DT live since the '80s, and what he told me is that actually, LaBrie sounds much better live now than he did in the '90s.
Sure, on recordings, his stuff in the '90s sounds mind-blowing, and tops the more recent stuff, but actually in person? Apparently he's tons better now.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Kabbalah
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
^That.

And not related to James, but I did hear that there was some whahŪbrido pickingant added to Score in post-production.  I don't really hear it, so I'm not sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
And not related to James, but I did hear that there was some whahŪbrido pickingant added to Score in post-production.  I don't really hear it, so I'm not sure.

Don't hear it meself and yet whahibrido pickingant is vey noticeable.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DT1138

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
+1000

+1001

James sounded awesome when I saw DT in Nov 2017.   I have perfect pitch and I assure you - he never missed a note.

I'd prefer if he doesn't use pitch correction though.  A lot of different factors can go into why a performer makes a mistake at any given moment.   Unlike the modern internet culture, I can easily forgive anyone for making mistakes when performing.

Offline Puppies_On_Acid

• MP.com Refugee
  • Roulette Addict
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »

Don't hear it meself and yet whahibrido pickingant is vey noticeable.
:rollin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
James sounded awesome when I saw DT in Nov 2017.   I have perfect pitch and I assure you - he never missed a note.
Which show did you go to?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline skcubs

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of jlb much these days . But I think people are unfair to him. Its not 1992 anymore.

Yeah hes lost a lot but it's not a total vocal blow out on the same levem as Brian Wilson 1964 comapred to 1980 onwards for example

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of jlb much these days . But I think people are unfair to him. Its not 1992 anymore.

Yeah hes lost a lot but it's not a total vocal blow out the like of a Brian Wilson etc.

I think a huge issue is that JP doesn't seem to really know (with exceptions) how to best write for JLBs voice. JLB sounds awesome on his solo stuff, because he and Matt know how to make him shine. JP either hears JLBs voice differently in his head, or just writes for something else and tells JLB to sing it. Either way, JLB doesn't shine as much on a lot of the more recent DT, and in my opinion, it's because the vocals aren't great for his voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 06:11:46 AM »

Someone once told me (and I don't know if it's true) that David Gilmour has a bank of auto-tune technology so that in the unlikely event that he does play a wrong note, the computers will replace it with the correct note. I can't see the point - might as well sit at home and put the CD on, it's a lot cheaper and you don't have to battle traffic.

I don't think DG has that. I've seen many, many live DG youtube videos and if he misses a note you hear it. Now for his official live releases his playing is cleaned up, sometimes a lot ie. original Comfortably Numb solo in PULSE

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Member
  • Transadriatic progressive buddy of Wasteland
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:37 AM »

Yeah hes lost a lot but it's not a total vocal blow out the like of a Brian Wilson etc.

I think a huge issue is that JP doesn't seem to really know (with exceptions) how to best write for JLBs voice. JLB sounds awesome on his solo stuff, because he and Matt know how to make him shine. JP either hears JLBs voice differently in his head, or just writes for something else and tells JLB to sing it. Either way, JLB doesn't shine as much on a lot of the more recent DT, and in my opinion, it's because the vocals aren't great for his voice.
I'm gonna throw out a hot take here: JP doesn't really know how to write vocal melodies that are both compelling and sustainable for singers in general, not just JLB. They wrote a load of absolutely ridiculous melodies for IAW and then by pure chance found a singer who could perform all that in a way that was cool and interesting. When JLB had his accident and his voice changed, the well of ideas ran dry within the first few albums.

I still love Dream Theater but the vocals are low on their writing priority list and it shows.

Don't try to BS Milena about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.
You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Offical Obsessed Member
  • DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
    • James LaBrie
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 08:14:48 AM »
And I thought it's like TA was written for JLB. It's like a vocal album to me. And considering JP/JR write all the melodies including vocals every song just shines with JLB.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline nobloodyname

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
Which show did you go to?

I'd be interested to know this, too. This isn't intended to be a witch hunt of you, DT1138, it's just an interesting claim you made. I'd say it's almost the nature of the beast for a rock singer to miss at least one note during a show.
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble.
@spacedyemeerkat

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
In the last days I listened to a few bootlegs from TA, and even with some moments of struggle, James nails it greatly.  The correction in live releases seems to be minimal, comparing to these bootlegs.

Offline As I Am

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
I should also clarify that I didn't imply he brought click tracks as a "requirement". I think it's more of a "I am perfectly comfortable playing songs to click", and I suspect DT had been wanting to do that all along but MP didn't like it.

I think that's probably spot on.

another reason why MP rules!