Author Topic: Why wasn't XTC more popular in the States?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Why wasn't XTC more popular in the States?
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Okay, there are obvious reasons like, "they stopped touring in 1982," and "they were too British for some," but it had to be more than that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Why wasn't XTC more popular in the States?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »
They blew? Maybe that was it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
I assume because it was made illegal in like 1985.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »

Blow , ecstacy - this is my kinda thread  :lol

Back on topic - never heard of 'em.  Given your review Tim I am not feeling too embarrassed about that   :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
Don't pay attention to TAC when it comes to any 80's band that wasn't hard rock or metal.  And even doing so in those cases is sketchy as well. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
Yeah, I was high on....

...TACstacy! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »

Back on topic - never heard of 'em.  Given your review Tim I am not feeling too embarrassed about that   :biggrin:

Even Brent's never heard of them?  There's your answer close thread.

I've heard the name but never anything from them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »

It is amazing how many bands get discussed around here (well known in US/UK) but who were totally not on the radar in Australia.   So aside from the fact that Brit pop ain't ma thang , they're likely just another of those bands.

Even in the hard rock and metal space it's crazy -  bands like say Tesla that had legit top ten hit/s in the US - never heard them on commercial radio once out here.  Same goes for Rush and countless others.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
Well, you live on Gilligan's island. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
And yet Steel Panther go number one out here on Gilligan's Island .  Crazy  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »

It is amazing how many bands get discussed around here (well known in US/UK) but who were totally not on the radar in Australia.   So aside from the fact that Brit pop ain't ma thang , they're likely just another of those bands.

Even in the hard rock and metal space it's crazy -  bands like say Tesla that had legit top ten hit/s in the US - never heard them on commercial radio once out here.  Same goes for Rush and countless others.

Yeah I hear ya.  Maybe XTC had one minor hit here?  I'm not sure but the name does ring a bell.  The whole hard rock metal thing to me seemed dead commercially.  I can't talk for the 80's but I remember growing up listen to triple m on the radio for a lot of my younger life, if it wasn't an Aussie rock band, all you would get would be Guns 'n' Roses or 90's stuff like Live and Oasis.  Or if they really wanted to play something 'from the vault' you'll get Paranoid haha.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
And yet Steel Panther go number one out here on Gilligan's Island .  Crazy  :lol

:lol
Hey, it works in reverse too.

The Mosquitos never did quite break through over here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
Coming up..............

the "Why didn't XTC crack the Aussie market" thread  :)

I'm a bit older than you Kade but it was a pretty clear story out here - bands generally only cracked the market here if they were huge in one or more oveseas territories. So I grew up listening to (on the radio)   Zep, Eagles, KISS, GnR, Bon Jovi , Europe (only in 86-88) , Whitesnake (87-88 only)  Def Leppard (only 86-88), Skid Row (debut only) etc..........even Van Halen were really only a 84-88 deal for the most part. Sammy Hagar was a nobody before 5150.

Second tier bands like Cinderella, Tesla, Warrant (Cherry Pie aside) were pretty much non-existent.  The only Gary Moore song I ever heard on radio (from his hard rock era) was Friday On My Mind :)   I spent most of my childhood tracking down all the second,third,fourth tier stuff that nobody knew.   Turns out a lot of my rarities were quite big elsewhere without my knowledge.   This is back in the days when magazines were our only link to the overseas markets - Hit Parader etc......
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:41:28 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »

While Brit pop is a general way to describe them, XTC cannot be pigeon-holed into one category.  They went from being post punk to art punk to new wave to art rock to progressive pop to orchestral pop.  You could listen to three of their best albums - Black Sea, Syklarking and Apple Venus - and you almost wouldn't believe they were all made by the same band.

And I think that is a major reason why they never hit it big over here.  They were so all over the map that their record company had no clue how to promote them.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 11:28:48 PM »
that is more or less the same explanation given to why King's X never made it big; they were too diverse or could not be categorized well enough to promote.

I think there's a handful of artists, especially from the 1980's-on which that happened to.

Also I've always found XTC, as much as they wrote some awfully catchy/poppy tunes, seemed to have a bit too quirky of a sound for mass audiences.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:49 AM »
Coming up..............

the "Why didn't XTC crack the Aussie market" thread  :)

I'm a bit older than you Kade but it was a pretty clear story out here - bands generally only cracked the market here if they were huge in one or more oveseas territories. So I grew up listening to (on the radio)   Zep, Eagles, KISS, GnR, Bon Jovi , Europe (only in 86-88) , Whitesnake (87-88 only)  Def Leppard (only 86-88), Skid Row (debut only) etc..........even Van Halen were really only a 84-88 deal for the most part. Sammy Hagar was a nobody before 5150.

Second tier bands like Cinderella, Tesla, Warrant (Cherry Pie aside) were pretty much non-existent.  The only Gary Moore song I ever heard on radio (from his hard rock era) was Friday On My Mind :)   I spent most of my childhood tracking down all the second,third,fourth tier stuff that nobody knew.   Turns out a lot of my rarities were quite big elsewhere without my knowledge.   This is back in the days when magazines were our only link to the overseas markets - Hit Parader etc......

Yeah, I couldn't really speak before the 90's due to my age.  Triple M actually use to play a few songs from the Hagar VH era actually, mainly Dreams and Why Can't This Be Love though.  They seem to still be on standard rotation.  I also remember hearing Always With Me, Always With You quite a bit too.  No Maiden, no Priest which is depressing.  Quite a bit of Metallica though (Black album only really)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 03:30:52 AM »

I also remember hearing Always With Me, Always With You quite a bit too. 

Possibly my most listened to track ever  :lol   Played it many times a day for a year - it was the feature piece I performed in front of the old codgers at the music board for my Year 12 VCE music exam  ;D

I was the first electric guitarist they had seen in there (previously classical only) - I think they thought I actually was a surfing alien.  I rocked up with my wild Steve Vai JEM which pissed em off even more :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 03:44:01 AM »

I also remember hearing Always With Me, Always With You quite a bit too. 

Possibly my most listened to track ever  :lol   Played it many times a day for a year - it was the feature piece I performed in front of the old codgers at the music board for my Year 12 VCE music exam  ;D

I was the first electric guitarist they had seen in there (previously classical only) - I think they thought I actually was a surfing alien.  I rocked up with my wild Steve Vai JEM which pissed em off even more :)

The JEM is the one guitar I never got but wanted, couldn't justify the price.  I haven't even played one which is crazy.  That's cool though Brent, when I did my first few levels of music theory exams I performed Crystal Planet for one and Circles for the other. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 08:24:20 AM »

Haha.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
that is more or less the same explanation given to why King's X never made it big; they were too diverse or could not be categorized well enough to promote.

I think there's a handful of artists, especially from the 1980's-on which that happened to.

Also I've always found XTC, as much as they wrote some awfully catchy/poppy tunes, seemed to have a bit too quirky of a sound for mass audiences.

And yet... Neil Young.   REM.   U2.   

I think that has some impact, but it's not definitive.  I think the touring had a far bigger impact than "quirky".  I know for me - a fairly knowledgeable (about music, anyway) guy, who wasn't stuck to genre (I loved Duran Duran, the Cars and Squeeze then, and love love love them all now) - XTC was one of about 20 interchangeable bands on MTV that either sang "Vienna", "Senses Working Overtime", "Don't You Want Me Baby", "The Look Of Love" or "Too Shy", I'm not sure which one, and they never broke out of that for some reason.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »

I think that has some impact, but it's not definitive.  I think the touring had a far bigger impact than "quirky".  I know for me - a fairly knowledgeable (about music, anyway) guy, who wasn't stuck to genre (I loved Duran Duran, the Cars and Squeeze then, and love love love them all now) - XTC was one of about 20 interchangeable bands on MTV that either sang "Vienna", "Senses Working Overtime", "Don't You Want Me Baby", "The Look Of Love" or "Too Shy", I'm not sure which one, and they never broke out of that for some reason.

Up until eight months ago, I probably would have lumped XTC in the same category as Kajagoogoo and ABC as well (80's band with one or two hits), but they really are so much more than that.  But the thing is, even their 80's "hits" were minor hits at best.  I remember hearing Senses Working Overtime, Dear God and The Mayor of Simpleton all quite a bit at the time all were out, but if you look at the charts, none of them made a dent, not even Dear God, which I think was big on college radio, while pissing off the God-fearing music fans. :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »

Up until eight months ago, I probably would have lumped XTC in the same category as Kajagoogoo and ABC as well (80's band with one or two hits), but they really are so much more than that.  But the thing is, even their 80's "hits" were minor hits at best.  I remember hearing Senses Working Overtime, Dear God and The Mayor of Simpleton all quite a bit at the time all were out, but if you look at the charts, none of them made a dent, not even Dear God, which I think was big on college radio, while pissing off the God-fearing music fans. :lol :lol

Of course they are; I bought "Oranges and Lemons" as part of a bulk eBay purchase and was blown away.  What a strong, well-crafted record.   I really love Squeeze and there was a lot of things about that XTC record that made me think - in a good way - of Squeeze.  But I've never even heard OF "Dear God" than heard it.  The only other song I've heard is "Making Plans For Nigel", and that's only because I have it on an '80's compilation (and a version by Primus, which is EXCELLENT).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

:tup

For some bizarre reason, this band came up a few months ago, and I was reminded about their only song I've ever heard (AFAIK):  "Senses Working Overtime."  While that's a fairly catchy song, XTC seemed like just another of the bands that had one popular song during the short period when ska went mainstream.  Apparently there was more to them than that, but they didn't get enough run to catch my attention at a time when, among my friends, liking anything that wasn't metal was taboo.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »

Ah, that's the one, yes I remember hearing that on triple m rock radio when I was a youngster quite a bit.  I've heard Dear God also.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »

Of course they are; I bought "Oranges and Lemons" as part of a bulk eBay purchase and was blown away.  What a strong, well-crafted record.   I really love Squeeze and there was a lot of things about that XTC record that made me think - in a good way - of Squeeze.  But I've never even heard OF "Dear God" than heard it.  The only other song I've heard is "Making Plans For Nigel", and that's only because I have it on an '80's compilation (and a version by Primus, which is EXCELLENT).

Have you heard other albums besides Oranges and Lemons?  That is a good one, but they have quite a few that I, and many others, would rate higher.

For some bizarre reason, this band came up a few months ago, and I was reminded about their only song I've ever heard (AFAIK):  "Senses Working Overtime."  While that's a fairly catchy song, XTC seemed like just another of the bands that had one popular song during the short period when ska went mainstream.  Apparently there was more to them than that, but they didn't get enough run to catch my attention at a time when, among my friends, liking anything that wasn't metal was taboo.

Senses Working Overtime has one of the catchiest choruses of any 80's pop song, but my gut tells me that it wasn't a bigger hit because of the verses, which I like a lot, but are kind of out there, and I can see a lot of people having tuned the song out before it even got to the chorus. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »

I like to squeeze oranges and lemons too!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
Not very metal of you Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

lemonade anyone??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Well beer is metal Tim. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
Kev, I was one of the individuals who referred you to a few XTC albums on another recent thread you started, but as to this one.....
I had never heard of XTC nor heard of them except for a couple of friends who had them in their collection.  Kind of like Firesign Theater...if you didn't know of them....you would never know of them.

I really DIG a couple of XTC albums....only because.  Other than the two people that happened to have their LPs in their collection 'box'...I would never have heard of them.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
if you didn't know of them....you would never know of them.

Can't argue with that!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
Kev, I was one of the individuals who referred you to a few XTC albums on another recent thread you started, but as to this one.....
I had never heard of XTC nor heard of them except for a couple of friends who had them in their collection.  Kind of like Firesign Theater...if you didn't know of them....you would never know of them.

I really DIG a couple of XTC albums....only because.  Other than the two people that happened to have their LPs in their collection 'box'...I would never have heard of them.

Yep, they are very under the radar.  Heck, even most 80's compilations and playlists I see never have anything by them, and they are a band that most people who grew up listening to music in the 80's have at least heard of, even if they can't name a song off the top of their head.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
You could ask the same question about lots and lots of bands who are as good (or better) than most bands in the same genre. There is not an exact answer. Some groups get more attention than others. You might also argue that they didn't get popular because they were so good. And then you can ask the opposite: why do shitty bands/groups/plastic people get so much attention when they are shit, they play no instruments and a computer sings for them? Well, because they have good looks, big asses and they get played everywhere.

In the XTC case, I have no idea. To me they are one of the best pop bands ever. Maybe that's why... ;D

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
You could ask the same question about lots and lots of bands who are as good (or better) than most bands in the same genre. There is not an exact answer. Some groups get more attention than others. You might also argue that they didn't get popular because they were so good. And then you can ask the opposite: why do shitty bands/groups/plastic people get so much attention when they are shit, they play no instruments and a computer sings for them? Well, because they have good looks, big asses and they get played everywhere.

In the XTC case, I have no idea. To me they are one of the best pop bands ever. Maybe that's why... ;D

Or.... bands get the popularity they deserve.   Always exceptions, life is about exceptions, but bell-curve generally, bands achieve the success they deserve.