Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #44 - Is Only For the Weak...  (Read 6754 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #44 - Is Only For the Weak...
« on: November 29, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »
Don't Get Too Excited...

I have finally gotten here! When I joined this forum about 4 years ago I remember reading through loads of the archived 'Top 50' lists and discovering some great albums. I always planned doing one of these and life just always got in the way. I have hosted a roulette and also completed a few other threads that took a fair bit of time and effort. A couple of years ago I even had a 'Top 50' list all ready to go (which has since been revised).

It's only because Evermind has just starting doing his second list that the thought of doing my own list is back in the forefront of my mind. So you can thank (or blame) him for this.

Before I start I just want to give a little background to my musical journey and how I got here, with the tastes that I have. This list features what I consider to be my definitive (at this point in time) list of my top 50 albums of all time. I deliberated as to whether I should use a *one album per band* rule, as I know some of you have in the past. For me though, it just wouldn't work as I do want this to be a true list of my favourite all time albums. Basically, a lot of what I consider to be my favourite bands have just released too many stellar albums. Anyway, on to how I got to DTF, and this list...

Back when I was a kid I wasn't into music, like at all! I was obsessed with computer games (which will become apparent later) and football. I just didn't care for music, even though my Dad, older brother and older sister were all massively into music, which also had a big influence on my tastes, even though I didn't know it at the time. By the time I hit about 17 (which was in 2000) I started to develop an interest in hip-hop and rap. This was partly due to my brother making me a mix tape which featured Eminem, among others. My musical taste was also being influenced by computer games at the time (mainly Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Crazy Taxi, both of which had punk rock soundtracks). I started to actually enjoy listening to music. I moved out of my Mum's later that year and moved south to live with my Dad. I got my first job and my journey continued from there. I was still mainly into hip-hop but all the alternative music getting radio play at that time (Sum 41, Linkin Park, Blink 182) started changing my tastes and I started to want to listen to actual bands playing instruments and the call of the electric guitar had me.

Around this time a guy I used to work with brought in an album (as he often did) and started playing it at work. I was like "what the fuck is this? I know all these songs, this shit is amazing!". Turns out it was Metallica's 'Black Album'. My older brother, who is 8 years older than me and a massive metalhead, played that album to death in the early 90's (along with another album that will feature on this list later). I wasn't even aware as a kid that Metallica resonated with me so much, but they ended up being my gateway band. From here I went on a path that lead me through Metallica's discography (almost exclusively). I have a vivid memory of the moment when I left hip-hop behind and became a metalhead. I was in HMV, like a week after I'd heard 'The Black Album' at work, and I had 'Stoned Raiders' by Cypress Hill in one hand and 'The Black Album' in the other. I obviously went with Metallica and never really listened to hip-hop again. Around this same time I also started hanging out with a whole new circle of friends, leaving childhood friends behind and cementing friendships that have been really strong over the last 15-16 years. Two of my friends at that time used to listen to Green Day, ALL. THE. TIME. I was already open to punk rock and that band became a big deal to me. It also paved my way to getting into ska, ska punk and reggae. I continued for years following this to follow the path of metal and get into various sub genres.

That leads me to 2014, when I joined this incredible forum. I'd been on a bit of a Dream Theater kick (I'd been into them since 2005 but there were still some albums I'd never listened to) and ended up just exploring all the stuff I hadn't heard. I don't even know why I ended up here as I've never been one forums really (other than Wheel of Time ones). I just got to the point where I was fed up of hearing the same old thing and needed to find new bands out of my usual circle.

Anyway, all of this is just a bit of a back story. This list will be fairly different to a lot of 'Top 50' lists as mine features quite a lot of punk rock. I mean I have discovered some amazing music on this site but most of what I consider my favourite all time albums are albums I discovered before ever coming here. There are very few albums I discovered in the last four years on this list. Even though this list isn't really representative of my current tastes it does list the albums that have impacted me most.

I want to start with some honourable mentions as my list ended up totalling 66. I'll split them up into either two posts of 8 or for posts of 4. I'll get this started tonight and try to keep the pace up as best I can but work is always kicking my ass... 

tl;dr basically...

WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:50:22 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
#1: Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit

Online twosuitsluke

On with the honourable mentions (part 1 of 4)...

Suicide By My Side
Sinergy
Genre: melodeath/power metal

I discovered this band after bingeing on all of the Children of Bodom albums (this features Alexi Laiho and his then wife Kimberly Goss, on vocals). This album just shreds and is a must hear for fans of CoB  :metal

The Colour and the Shape
Foo Fighters
Genre: rock

I'm pretty sure I worked back and heard this after getting 'One By One', when it came out. This album just has so many good songs and is one that the Foos never managed to top in my opinion. I mean, famous tracks like 'Monkey Wrench' and 'Everlong' are just incredible but even the deeper cuts are perfect. 'Hey, Johnny Park!' may well be may favourite FF's song of all time.

Pound For the Sound
Capdown
Genre: skacore

Capdown were part of the ska punk scene in the UK that was just vital and defining for me and a lot of my friends. They, along with other bands at the time, formed the most important 'scene' for me, in the UK, in the early to mid 00's. This is just the pinnacle of their work and it mixes ska, punk and hardcore (along with other elements) to make something that is as British as it is mind blowing. Just great stuff!

The Black Parade
My Chemical Romance
Genre: alternative rock/"emo"

Fuck the haters! This was the album where all my friends who had been like "MCR suck, fucking emo bullshit" ate their words and were begrudgingly like "This is alright actually". I love this band and this album was really important to me and was a big part to the soundtrack to my 2006. A great concept album, I was always destined for prog really  :rollin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:23:38 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The Black Parade is actually great, yes

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY

Ahem. Great album. Need to relisten the whole thing, I haven't listened to it in a while.

That Sinergy album is dope also. :metal

Looking forward to the list!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:36:55 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline pg1067

The Black Parade
My Chemical Romance
Genre: alternative rock/"emo"

Fuck the haters! This was the album where all my friends who had been like "MCR suck, fucking emo bullshit" ate their words and were begrudgingly like "This is alright actually". I love this band and this album was really important to me and was a big part to the soundtrack to my 2006. A great concept album, I was always destined for prog really  :rollin

I don't know diddly about this band or this album beyond the title track, which was the anthem for the L.A. Kings' 2012 run to the Stanley Cup, so I will forever love it.

https://youtu.be/tZL7S6vCVKY
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Following. Not familiar with anything yet.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Need to relisten the whole thing, I haven't installed while.

What? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I'm a big fan of the first Sinergy album, which had Alexi Laiho and Jesper Stromblad on guitars.  I know the next two albums had Marco Hietala, but I never really got into them.

But that first album completely smokes.   :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
That's an awesome Sinergy album.

I remember I met Alexi after he and the singer broke up and the band was done, but I had noooo idea, so I kept asking him about it and he was just trying to evade answering without being rude. Dude was super cool considering I was (unknowingly) asking really rude questions.

But yea, great album. Marco's great on it too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Twosuitsluke's Glorious "Top 50 Albums You Never Knew You Cared Less About"
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Not familiar with anything so far, but I'm following. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
Yeah, that Sinergy album is really great.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
Glad to see Sinergy getting some love, it really is a great album  :hefdaddy

Not familiar with anything so far, but I'm following. :tup

Give the Sinergy album a listen dude, I'd love to get your opinion on it.

I'll try and update the next of the honourable mentions, in the next few hours  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
That's an awesome Sinergy album.

I remember I met Alexi after he and the singer broke up and the band was done, but I had noooo idea, so I kept asking him about it and he was just trying to evade answering without being rude. Dude was super cool considering I was (unknowingly) asking really rude questions.

But yea, great album. Marco's great on it too.

What a guy! I had a huge man crush on Alexi back in the day, I'd love to meet him. I'd probably just ask him what the fuck happened to his band and why they haven't released a decent album since 2005?!  So basically I'd also be asking him rude questions  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
Ok, let's move forward with part 2 of the honourable mentions...

Danzig II: Lucifuge
Danzig
Genre: metal

This was one of my first old school metal albums that I listened to after my Metallica phase was ending and I was looking to explore the genre further. I'll never forget, my older brother gave me this album, Reign in Blood, Rust in Peace, Vulgar Display of Power and Arise! I mean what a killer selection of albums and a crash course in metal. This album is more bluesy than any of the other albums mentioned above but I love this album because of the stories and imagery that Danzing invokes. I'd recommend this album to anyone and everyone, it's just got a swagger to it. I've even got Blood and Tears tattooed on my arm  :lol

NOLA
Down
Genre: sludge metal

I was a big Pantera fan upon discovering (for those who don't know, Down features Phil and Rex, although he didn't play on this album, from Pantera, as well as Pepper Keenan from Corrosion of Conformity and Kirk Windstein from Crowbar) them and then ended up living with a friend who was equally as big a fan. I had no idea about Down back then but he used to play Stone the Crows all the time (which is still my fave Down song) and my love for this album just grew from there. It's easily my favourite Down album and just captures something I feel they were never able to recreate. Oh and the riffs! Those damn riffs!!!

Orchestra of Wolves
Gallows
Genre: hardcore punk

When Gallows hit the scene back in like 2005 or something, they were just like a breath of fresh air to me. They were young, angry and almost uncomfortably honest (in their lyrics). Orchestra of Wolves managed to somehow be aggressive and catchy at the same time! This album dealt with some serious issues in a really raw and real way. Just amazing, or at least to me it is.

The Sound of Perseverance
Death
Genre: progressive death metal

What can I say about Death that hasn't been said before. I'd tried all the classic death metal bands between like 2004-2008 or something (including most of Death's early albums). I left this one almost to last though and boy did I regret it! This seems to me like the album that probably paved the way for most modern progressive death metal (although I could be wrong). The production of this final Death album appeals to me more than their early albums and the songs just rule. If you've not heard it then go and listen now, get yourself educated.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
Nice, still haven't listened to that Down album but I'm looking forward to it  :metal

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Lucifuge is one of my favorite albums of all time... Danzig was basically a bridge to me getting into heavier music back in the day, thanks to a good friend who introduced me to them. When I read the line about your Blood and Tears tattoo, the chorus almost immediately popped into my head and I had to go and listen to the song  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 01:07:17 AM »
Nice, still haven't listened to that Down album but I'm looking forward to it  :metal

It is a great album, not something I thought you'd be massively into but yea, the riffs are great.

Lucifuge is one of my favorite albums of all time... Danzig was basically a bridge to me getting into heavier music back in the day, thanks to a good friend who introduced me to them. When I read the line about your Blood and Tears tattoo, the chorus almost immediately popped into my head and I had to go and listen to the song  :lol

It is great, I don't think Danzig ever came close to topping the magic of this album. This would've made my top 50 years ago. Blood and Tears is one of my favourite metal ballads, so damn good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 03:11:09 AM »
TSOP was number 33 on my top 50 years ago.  Such an amazing album and the perfect most accessible Death album.  I never thought about it being the foundation for progressive death, but you could be onto something there.

Down for some reason I've never checked out.  Never even heard a song, and I don't know why since I'm a huge Pantera fan.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:12 AM »
NOLA is a cool album. I even sent a song from it in a roulette once.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »
On with the third instalment of honourable mentions (I'll try and wrap the 4th up later tonight)...

The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed
The Wildhearts

Back in about 2009 my girlfriend, at the time, was lent this album by a friend of hers. I'd been aware of The Wildhearts for years (I think Ginger Wildheart is cool as fuck! I love his tattoos and his style) but never heard a thing by them. This album just blew me away. It is just chock full of catchy rock songs, that have punk and metal vibes as well. Like, every song is just great, has a catchy chorus and has something that just hooks you (or at least it does to me). A lot of fans rate their earlier albums higher but this is just a perfect little rock album to me and it was love at first listen.

Good Mourning
Alkaline Trio
Genre: punk rock

Alkaline Trio, where do I begin with my love for this band? I discovered them via the radio one rock show, when I used to work nights, back in like 2005? It was when Crimson was released, that became an album I loved but as I delved into their discography, it was Good Mourning that became my greatest love. This band are (for those who don't know) a dark, macabre punk rock band. They get lumped in with the popular pop punk bands of the early 00's (who I mostly love too) but they are so much darker. The lyrics are just great and the songs are punchy and catchy. I truly love this album and it's a shame it missed the top 50.

Crack the Skye
Mastodon
Genre: progressive metal

I surprised myself when I realised this also missed being in the top 50. I mean I love Mastodon and they really do have a great back catalogue, it's just when it came to rating the impact the actual top 50 albums had on me, this missed the mark. I mean it could've been any one of about 4 Mastodon albums that made it here but this one has a special place in my heart. There was a huge buzz around Mastodon when Leviathan came out and although I love both the albums that preceded this one, it was Crack the Skye that really made me love this band.

Shogun
Trivium

Trivium were one of the first 'current bands' I got into after my Metallica obsession wore off. I'd been digging all the 80's and 90's metal bands but Trivium, along with bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine, were the first metal bands that were current and up and coming that I fell for (I mean the albums those three bands released in 2005 were just :hefdaddy ). Shogun came later though and I remember getting it for Christmas in 2008. It was a great album then but of all the Trivium albums, this is the sound and style I'd like to see them go back to. No surprises that this is Trivium at their proggiest. I mean just go listen to the song Shogun, it's probably my favourite all time Trivium song nowadays!!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 07:20:48 AM »
NOLA is an incredible Down album.  I love the band, but they really had something special on the first album.

The Sound of Perseverance was my first album by Death and I loved it from the start.  I'd had the Control Denied album for about 10 years before getting into Death, but then went back and acquired their full discography and hold them among my favorite death metal bands.  I think I listen to Symbolic more, since those songs have more hooks for me to dig into, but I will always love TSOP.

I haven't cared for Trivium since The Crusade came out. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
1/12, I own Crack the Skye but I'm honestly not into Mastodon that much. Also someone sent me Trivium in the roulette, it was alright but I didn't check it out further.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
NOLA is an incredible Down album.  I love the band, but they really had something special on the first album.

The Sound of Perseverance was my first album by Death and I loved it from the start.  I'd had the Control Denied album for about 10 years before getting into Death, but then went back and acquired their full discography and hold them among my favorite death metal bands.  I think I listen to Symbolic more, since those songs have more hooks for me to dig into, but I will always love TSOP.

Yep, with you on the first point.

I find it crazy you had Control Denied for 10 years before working back! I was totally the opposite. I started with the early Death albums well over 10 years ago and only got around to listening to Control Denied about 2 years ago  :lol

With Trivium, have you ever listened to anything post The Crusade? Was it just because you didn't care for that album? Shogun is well worth a go if you ever liked anything about Trivium.

1/12, I own Crack the Skye but I'm honestly not into Mastodon that much. Also someone sent me Trivium in the roulette, it was alright but I didn't check it out further.

Can't think there is going to be a huge amount that you'd own in this list dude, probably only the odd power metal album. Do you remember what Trivium song you were sent?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »

I find it crazy you had Control Denied for 10 years before working back! I was totally the opposite. I started with the early Death albums well over 10 years ago and only got around to listening to Control Denied about 2 years ago  :lol

With Trivium, have you ever listened to anything post The Crusade? Was it just because you didn't care for that album? Shogun is well worth a go if you ever liked anything about Trivium.

I hated death metal growls in the 90's and early 00's, and only got on board with some of the melodic death bands like In Flames, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity.  In the mid 00's, I started getting more into straight-up death metal bands through discovering Bloodbath and some of the Swedish death/thrash bands like Darkane.

So I loved the idea of a band like Death with clean vocals on the Control Denied album back when it came out. 

As for Trivium, I got into Ascendency and The Crusade, but just started to dislike Matt Heavy's singing.  And The Crusade was cool, but the songs sound really wimpy versions of thrash when you put them next to stuff like Exodus and Death Angel.  That album just didn't have the punch that it really should. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »

Can't think there is going to be a huge amount that you'd own in this list dude, probably only the odd power metal album. Do you remember what Trivium song you were sent?

I was sent two of them (it was for the EP round), one of them was The Darkness of My Mind which I remember because I couldn't make out the lyrics in the chorus, and I think the second one was from also from Silence in the Snow. I've also checked out the title track from The Sin and the Sentence, which rocked, so I checked out the whole album and actually didn't make it past the fifth or sixth track.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
I hated death metal growls in the 90's and early 00's, and only got on board with some of the melodic death bands like In Flames, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity.  In the mid 00's, I started getting more into straight-up death metal bands through discovering Bloodbath and some of the Swedish death/thrash bands like Darkane.

So I loved the idea of a band like Death with clean vocals on the Control Denied album back when it came out. 

As for Trivium, I got into Ascendency and The Crusade, but just started to dislike Matt Heavy's singing.  And The Crusade was cool, but the songs sound really wimpy versions of thrash when you put them next to stuff like Exodus and Death Angel.  That album just didn't have the punch that it really should.

Yea, I get that. I remember a time when Phil Anselmo's vocals on Vulgar Display of Power were the harshest I'd ever heard, I found it almost unlistenable  :lol  I came around to them as I loved the music so much. The next hurdle for me was Children of Bodom, I remember hearing the live version of Lake Bodom and thought the music was just mind blowing, but the vocals??? I was just like "what is this shit??". It took me a while to warm to it but I got into loads of melodic death metal from there as well so I get it.

As to Trivium, I can understand where you are coming from in regards to The Crusade. They'd gotten a lot of attention after Ascendancy and they'd always been vocal about wanting to be huge, and the next Metallica. I think this was their attempt at making The Black Album, and it failed. After that they went back to a harder sound. Matt's vocals are mainly harsh on Shogun and it's seriously the one that I find myself wanting to listen to more, especially recently.

I was sent two of them (it was for the EP round), one of them was The Darkness of My Mind which I remember because I couldn't make out the lyrics in the chorus, and I think the second one was from also from Silence in the Snow. I've also checked out the title track from The Sin and the Sentence, which rocked, so I checked out the whole album and actually didn't make it past the fifth or sixth track.

If I was going to suggest where to start with Trivium I wouldn't be going anywhere near that stuff  :lol I mean, I understand in a roulette catering for you personally, but generally if I was to send songs to someone to get them into Trivium I'd send stuff from Ascendancy, The Crusade or Shogun  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
Here's your final instalment of honourable mentions, I'll get to the actual top 50 now  :tup

Burn My Eyes
Machine Head

First time I heard Machine Head was when my older brother handed me a mix CD with 'Machine Head' scrawled on it. He didn't tell me anything about it, just said "Listen to this.". I didn't know if it was the name of the album or the band or what. It was his own personal mix of his favourite MH songs. I remember it had a good mix of Burn My Eyes and Through the Ashes of Empires, as well as a few other random songs. I remember especially though that it had 'Davidian', 'Old' and 'A Thousand Lies' on it. Those three became favourites of mine and was why, when I found out this mix CD's namesake was a band, I went and bought Burn My Eyes first. It was one of my all time favourites for a long time and I'm not sure Machine Head ever topped that three song run of the three aforementioned songs! The whole album is a masterpiece and one that still holds up 24 years later! ​

Wolfmother
Wolfmother

Man, Wolfmother! I heard of them via Guitar Hero when 'Woman' was featured on the second game. At the time a friend of mine was living in the flat above and he loved this album. I already liked 'Woman' but he used to play this album constantly throughout 2008. I came to love this work of art and one of the main reasons was because it captured the feel of those classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin. There isn't a bad track on here and just typing about it makes me want to stick it on. To say I have been disappointed with their subsequent albums is an understatement. I've never known such a strong debut followed by such lacklustre releases. It's a crying shame. If for some reason you have never heard this but like the idea of a mordern band being able to sound fresh whilst having a 'classic rock' feel then check this out, it's just perfect.​

By the Way
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

I can still remeber the day I bought this. I went to my local Woolworths (RIP) and picked this up and played in constantly for days. I had already heard Californication (the song) as well as a few other RHCP songs. I loved the lead single and just had a good feeling about this album. This is one of those albums that takes me back to a very specific time and place. It is the summer of 2002, I'm 19 years old, I've just started hanging out with friends, who would eventually become lifelong buddies, and I'm just loving life. Me and my friend Wayne used to play a shit ton of computer games back then, whilst just drinking and having fun, being kids. At the time this came out we were playing through Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube. I just have strong memories of leaving this album on repeat whilst trying to complete this game. It just holds such good memories of a time when I was forming this friendship through our mutual loves. RHCP have always been one of those mutual loves we've had. So many good songs and although it's not a popular pick for greatest RHCP album it's easily mine.​

Love, Ire and Song
Frank Turner
Genre: folk punk

Frank Turner is an artist that I have grown to love because of how much I can relate to his music. He is an English singer-songwriter, who is about my age and has a very similar outlook on life. His songs, which I mainly love for the lyrics, touch me and speak to me. He may not have the best voice and his lyrics may not be the most poetic but they speak to me like no other and they are fucking geniune! These songs were some of the first I heard by Frank Turner and all my favourite ones just tell a story. Highlights for me are 'Photosynthesis', 'Long Live the Queen', 'The Real Damage', 'Thatcher Fucked the Kids' and 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For the One of Me'. They are respectively about not just sitting still and letting life pass you by, losing a friend, waking up at some randoms house after a night on the town, how Thatcher (Tory Prime Minister in the 80's) fucked it for our generation and outgrowing your hometown. I just love him and his musical story telling, check him out!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
That Machine Head is classic.  So brutal and heavy.  The Trivium is wonderful also.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
>obsessed with computer games as a kid
>discover Metallica and Green Day in late teens around the turn of the millenium
>get massively into Linkin Park and lots of pop punk
>discover DT and prog metal a few years later

Bloody hell Luke, are you literally me?

Will be following this thread. Only in the honourable mentions and already a load of bands I like or even love (Sinergy, Foos, Mastodon, Machine Head, Chili Peppers, Frank Turner) and others I'm not particularly into but that fill me with nostalgia (Down! Alkaline Trio!).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
>obsessed with computer games as a kid
>discover Metallica and Green Day in late teens around the turn of the millenium
>get massively into Linkin Park and lots of pop punk
>discover DT and prog metal a few years later

Bloody hell Luke, are you literally me?

Will be following this thread. Only in the honourable mentions and already a load of bands I like or even love (Sinergy, Foos, Mastodon, Machine Head, Chili Peppers, Frank Turner) and others I'm not particularly into but that fill me with nostalgia (Down! Alkaline Trio!).

This is pretty in line with my own development also.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
 :heart

You guys! We're all roughly in our mid 30's right?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »

34.  Although I didn't get into Linkin Park.  Offspring were my boys.  Then Iron Maiden, Sabbath and Priest came slightly before DT, but DT just as influential to me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »

34.  Although I didn't get into Linkin Park.  Offspring were my boys.  Then Iron Maiden, Sabbath and Priest came slightly before DT, but DT just as influential to me.

Yep The Offspring were a big deal to me too. Quite a few of their songs were on Crazy Taxi and I remember playing Americana so much when I was younger, that my younger brother snapped the CD in half  :lol

Where you had Maiden, Sabbath and Priest I had Metallica, Led Zeppelin and Pantera

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

Yep The Offspring were a big deal to me too. Quite a few of their songs were on Crazy Taxi and I remember playing Americana so much when I was younger, that my younger brother snapped the CD in half  :lol

Where you had Maiden, Sabbath and Priest I had Metallica, Led Zeppelin and Pantera

I had Metallica and Pantera too.  Tool also were huge, as were Korn.