Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #44 - Is Only For the Weak...  (Read 6701 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Twosuitsluke's Glorious "Top 50 Albums You Never Knew You Cared Less About"
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 12:05:55 AM »
Yep to Offspring, Maiden, Pantera as well as those I mentioned previously.

And yep I'm 34 as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
>obsessed with computer games as a kid
>discover Metallica and Green Day in late teens around the turn of the millenium
>get massively into Linkin Park and lots of pop punk
>discover DT and prog metal a few years later

Bloody hell Luke, are you literally me?

Will be following this thread. Only in the honourable mentions and already a load of bands I like or even love (Sinergy, Foos, Mastodon, Machine Head, Chili Peppers, Frank Turner) and others I'm not particularly into but that fill me with nostalgia (Down! Alkaline Trio!).

This is pretty in line with my own development also.
This sounds like me as well.

And I'm with you on By the Way, Luke. Best RHCP album by a long shot!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 02:22:44 AM »
>obsessed with computer games as a kid
>discover Metallica and Green Day in late teens around the turn of the millenium
>get massively into Linkin Park and lots of pop punk
>discover DT and prog metal a few years later

Bloody hell Luke, are you literally me?

Will be following this thread. Only in the honourable mentions and already a load of bands I like or even love (Sinergy, Foos, Mastodon, Machine Head, Chili Peppers, Frank Turner) and others I'm not particularly into but that fill me with nostalgia (Down! Alkaline Trio!).

This is pretty in line with my own development also.
This sounds like me as well.

And I'm with you on By the Way, Luke. Best RHCP album by a long shot!

It really is  :heart 

I'm glad to see all the thirty-somethings are following this thread, I'll deliver a few nostalgia hits for you along the way. For those who did follow a similar path to me, and got into punk rock in the early 00's, how many of you still listen to it as a genre?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 02:31:56 AM »
I still listen to Green Day, Offspring, NOFX and Bad Religion. Also went back to a bit of Sum 41 recently which was rather enjoyable.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 03:00:53 AM »
I still listen to Green Day, Offspring, NOFX and Bad Religion. Also went back to a bit of Sum 41 recently which was rather enjoyable.

Yea dude, I was listening to some old Sum 41 recently as well, 'Does This Look Infected?' is still great  :metal

I need to get cramx3 posting in here as well. He's of similar age and loves all the classic punk and ska.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:23 AM »
Why can't I meet guys like you in real life?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 04:22:56 AM »
Why can't I meet guys like you in real life?

It's the eternal struggle  :tdwn I would say though, most of my friends have a big crossover within all of my musical tastes at some point. Every single one of my friends are into alternative music of some kind. Plenty of them were big into metal or punk. Unfortunately, most of them just lost the passion for it and don't keep up to date with new music, and if they do it's just the new releases from the same old bands. 80% of the bands I discuss on this forum my friends have never heard of.

But we have each other  :heart

Anyway, #50 is incoming...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 04:25:47 AM »
Here we go maggots, number 50 for you...

#50 - Slipknot
Slipknot
Genre: metal

​When Slipknot first hit the scene I was like 16 or 17 and I did not get it, at all. I was one of those guys who was just "This isn't music, this is just screaming!". I remember seeing the video for 'Left Behind' a few years later and just thought, this is the worst kind of shit. It was much later, after my tastes broadened, that I "got" What they were doing.

It was 2005 when my flat mate gave me a burnt copy of Slipknot's third album. I was into harsh vocals by that time but still had a negative view on the band and just didn't really want give them a chance. I tried their third album though and loved it, the more mellow tunes helped ease me in anyway. By the time 2006 rolled around I was ready to try their earlier albums again. Wow! I was not ready for the raw energy that their debut brought. I was just astounded by how this music made me feel. It pumped me up and just made me want to scream, but in a good way.

I've never been an aggressive person, at all, and I've always said metal gets a bad rap. People who don't get it think metal is for aggressive thugs but I honestly think it helps people channel their anger in a positive way to avoid outbursts in other areas of their life. It's not like I was angry, but it just felt good to scream this shit out. Some of you guys will never like music like this, and I appreciate this, but I think Slipknot deserve to be where they are. They brought their crazy stage show and shoved it down the mainstreams throat. Kids ate it up.

When it comes to the album itself this album is front loaded as hell. It's the first 5 songs that cement this albums place in my top 50. The back half of the album is kinda twisted, dark and fucked up (which I also love) but the beginning is just in your face and aggressive. I used to play these songs (sic, Eyeless, Wait and Bleed, Surfacing and Spit it Out) all the time. My friends at the time got sick of how much I'd blast them at like midnight after coming home from the pub. Corey's lyrics and vocal delivery were unlike anything else I'd heard at that point. It was angry and disgusting at the same time. It sounded like he was on the verge of throwing up and I loved it!

I know some of you have no interest in Slipknot at all, which is fine. If you've listened to them and they're not for you, that's cool. However, if you've got a preconception about them (as I did) or you checked them out years ago and your tastes changed, I urge you to at least listen to this from the beginning through until at least Spit it Out. Especially if your tastes have broadened to include raw intense performances, such as The Dillinger Escape Plan for instance. Enjoy, Maggots!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:22:15 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #50 - Pulse of the Maggots...
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »

Yea dude, I was listening to some old Sum 41 recently as well, 'Does This Look Infected?' is still great  :metal
Yeah I was surprised at how great it was actually. All Killer No Filler was obviously the breakout album and it still has some really fun tunes, but overall it hasn't aged all that well. Whereas Infected has if anything grown in my estimation.

As for Slipknot, Vol. 3 was great and the albums since have been solid enough, but I never could stand their first couple of albums and still can't.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:23 AM »

Yeah I was surprised at how great it was actually. All Killer No Filler was obviously the breakout album and it still has some really fun tunes, but overall it hasn't aged all that well. Whereas Infected has if anything grown in my estimation.

As for Slipknot, Vol. 3 was great and the albums since have been solid enough, but I never could stand their first couple of albums and still can't.

'Does This Look Infected?' is where they started to let their metal influences come through. I always preferred it over 'All Killer, No Filler'. As for Slipknot, I can understand your point of view and I'm glad you at least dig Vol. 3. Everything after that, for me, just feels like a watered down version of Slipknot.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
This one isn't going to come as much of a surprise to anyone...

#49 - Watershed
Opeth
Genre: progressive metal

​My journey with Opeth started back in 2005, when Ghost Reveries was released. I used to get Metal Hammer magazine every month back then and there was a real buzz about this band. I'm pretty sure Ghost Reveries was their 'album of the year' back then (which is saying a lot, as 2005 was the best year in music for me, seriously, the amount of amazing releases!) and they were featured all over the place. Every month they gave away a free CD with new music (as did Kerrang! every now and then) and I remember I had a CD with Ghost of Perdition on it. Safe to say I loved it and bought the album. From there I did a bit of research and had heard that Blackwater Park was one of their highly praised albums. I got that and also Still Life. For the next few years they were the only Opeth albums I had and I never went any further than that.

Fast forward to 2008 and I was eagerly anticipating the release of Opeth's new album. Now for me, Watershed is the last great Opeth album. When Heritage was released I couldn't have been more disappointed (but that's another story). Watershed is one of those albums where I love every song and each and every time I listen I'm like "Damn, I forgot how good this song is...and this one...and this one!". I rate Ghost Reveries higher but Watershed is still close to perfection.

I'm not going to even bother talking about individual songs as they're all great and the majority of you will know this album inside out anyway. I'm also not going to moan about the direction Opeth have taken, I was disappointed with Heritage but I like their post-Heritage albums quite a lot. I appreciate the direction they have gone, and maybe it's because of that, I love this album so much more. It's the last heavy Opeth album, and that's something to treasure.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:21:50 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Watershed is my favorite Opeth album, even though I'm a fan of all their albums/eras. This just hits the sweet spot for brutal/beautiful that is their trademark...and the flow of this album is simply breathtaking.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I friggin love Ghost Reveries 2

(I mean I jest but they are pretty similar albums :P I do like this one a fair bit though just not nearly as much as Ghost Reveries)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Much better. ;)

I loved Watershed when it came out, but it's ended up around the #4-5 slot for me. So very strong still, but not up there with GR, BWP or Damnation.

I don't remember GR being Metal Hammer's album of the year but it's certainly possible!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

I don't remember GR being Metal Hammer's album of the year but it's certainly possible!

I feel 90% certain it was. That's one of the reasons I ended up buying it.

Find the list here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:32:57 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Both of the Slipknot and Opeth are great.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I just realized it's been ten years plus since Watershed was released. Wow, where does the time go?

Offline twosuitsluke

I just realized it's been ten years plus since Watershed was released. Wow, where does the time go?

I know man! Like 1998-2008 was a lifetime to me, whereas 2008-2018 was like no time at all  :tdwn

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It gets worse, brotha. Wait until you see your granddaughter pull into the driveway in her new car!  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

It gets worse, brotha. Wait until you see your granddaughter pull into the driveway in her new car!  :lol

:lol

I have no words...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
I'm a little bit older than most on here, so this is full of "young people's music" or as I call it "turn that bloody noise down and listen to some proper music instead, and while you're at it, get off my lawn!"

Anyway, my thought so far:

Foo Fighters - This band are everything I love, and I should love them, but I just don't. They've never quite gelled with me and I don't know why.
Down - Hell yeah. Great album, and Stone the Crows is a great tune, nice to see some love on here.
The Wildhearts - Double hell yeah. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. Also one of the worst live bands I've ever seen!
Machine Head - Man, I used to headbang to this back in the 90s. Not listened to it in years.
RHCP - agree totally, except Blood Sugar Sex Magic is their best album. I guess the best RHCP album is the first one you owned.
Slipknot - can't stand 'em, but I did like your explanation. A spot-on summary of how music is supposed to make you feel, goddammit. It's meant to rattle your bones and quicken your heart!
Opeth - Respect, good choice.

looking forward to the rest of your list!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline twosuitsluke

I'm a little bit older than most on here, so this is full of "young people's music" or as I call it "turn that bloody noise down and listen to some proper music instead, and while you're at it, get off my lawn!"

Anyway, my thought so far:

Foo Fighters - This band are everything I love, and I should love them, but I just don't. They've never quite gelled with me and I don't know why.
Down - Hell yeah. Great album, and Stone the Crows is a great tune, nice to see some love on here.
The Wildhearts - Double hell yeah. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. Also one of the worst live bands I've ever seen!
Machine Head - Man, I used to headbang to this back in the 90s. Not listened to it in years.
RHCP - agree totally, except Blood Sugar Sex Magic is their best album. I guess the best RHCP album is the first one you owned.
Slipknot - can't stand 'em, but I did like your explanation. A spot-on summary of how music is supposed to make you feel, goddammit. It's meant to rattle your bones and quicken your heart!
Opeth - Respect, good choice.

looking forward to the rest of your list!

Cheers dude. I'm glad to see some love for the bands you mentioned, especially The Wildhearts! They are just great but no one outside of the UK ever seems to know who they are.

I should be putting my next post up this evening!

Offline twosuitsluke

Another predictable pick for you all...

#48 - Octavarium
Dream Theater
Genre: progressive metal

​Onto the band that brought us all together. Despite Dream Theater being the band that led me to the musical discovery cave, that is DTF, I never really considered myself a huge fan of the band. When I think of my top 10 bands they are never a band that spring to mind, although I do love them. My journey with DT started in 2006 (which was a great year of musical discovery for me). My flat mate at the time had bought Octavarium and also the live 'Score' DVD. I remember watching it with him and being impressed with the musicianship, even though I thought the vocals were a bit lame. It wasn't something I loved but it was stored away in my brain as 'something to check out again'.

The following year I remember reading an article interviewing Herman Li from DragonForce (who I loved at the time). He said in this interview that he had been obsessed with 'Images and Words' when it came out and literally listened to it every day, for like a year. I thought "Maybe I need to check this album out". I did and I have fond memories of playing it on repeat whilst playing through Final Fantasy XII. After that I went back to the next album I knew I kinda liked, which was of course Octavarium. I fell for this one big time and it was the album that made me 'get' the prog epic. At first I was like, "A 25 minute song??? Fuck that". But I grew to love it (it's my favourite song on the album) as I did with the whole album. Some of the cheesier ballad type songs on this album took a while to grow on me it's honestly my second favourite DT album. You all know it to death anyway, so I'll move on :lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:21:29 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #48 - Trapped Inside This...
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
if i had to say one thing about this, i'd say it's the 8th dream theater album

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
if i had to say one thing about this, i'd say it's the 8th dream theater album
That's a post.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »
I'm ok with Octavarium being on your list :D it doesn't have many awesome songs but when played in full it is one of my favorites as well :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
Really enjoy lots of stuff on your list (I knew I would ;) ) but Octavarium for me is still a great one!  :tup

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
I'll try to get #47 up tonight but at this point I've been at work for 14 hours and need to go to bed!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2018, 04:29:25 AM »
I'll try to get #47 up tonight but at this point I've been at work for 14 hours and need to go to bed!

Huh, I had a 14 hour day today too, respect.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Hope you guys are at least being paid for your overtime. Our company cut down the amount of possible OT hours for each department severely and then bosses and management were surprised when people, me among them, started leaving exactly after our 8,2 usual hours a day. :facepalm:

Regarding the list, I quite like Watershed although Ghost Reveries is much better, in my opinion, if we're talking growly Opeth. Octavarium is great too, sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »
Good pick with the RHCP, that album made me fall in love with them.  It was my first full album (like you I knew some singles before) from them that I got. I'd say I rate Stadium Arcadium as better, but one thing about By The Way that you mentioned and hits home to me:

"This is one of those albums that takes me back to a very specific time and place. It is the summer of 2002"

holy fuck is this true for me as well.  That same summer my friend took me with his father and another friend to their vacation home for a week.  It was actually the first time I ever smoked marijuana.  The three of us would listen to this album all trip just chilling on the beach.  It was such a memorable experience (I was 17 at the time) and everytime I hear this album I think of my time in Grand Cayman Island with these two dudes (neither of which I am really close to anymore).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
Hope you guys are at least being paid for your overtime. Our company cut down the amount of possible OT hours for each department severely and then bosses and management were surprised when people, me among them, started leaving exactly after our 8,2 usual hours a day. :facepalm:

Regarding the list, I quite like Watershed although Ghost Reveries is much better, in my opinion, if we're talking growly Opeth. Octavarium is great too, sure.

I get some, but the amount I do extra is pretty crazy.  This would happen in my situation too, they would be surprised at me leaving and things not happening.  It's kind of my own fault, for years I've done it myself and just done extra cause it needs to get done.  I've now set an unfair and to most people an unfair standard and expectation.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
I'm ok with Octavarium being on your list :D it doesn't have many awesome songs but when played in full it is one of my favorites as well :tup

Yea man, it's pretty great!

Really enjoy lots of stuff on your list (I knew I would ;) ) but Octavarium for me is still a great one!  :tup

Glad to have you following dude.

My extra hours aren't even overtime, it's just because I do sleep ins!

I agree with you about Ghost Reveries  ;)

Good pick with the RHCP, that album made me fall in love with them.  It was my first full album (like you I knew some singles before) from them that I got. I'd say I rate Stadium Arcadium as better, but one thing about By The Way that you mentioned and hits home to me:

"This is one of those albums that takes me back to a very specific time and place. It is the summer of 2002"

holy fuck is this true for me as well.  That same summer my friend took me with his father and another friend to their vacation home for a week.  It was actually the first time I ever smoked marijuana.  The three of us would listen to this album all trip just chilling on the beach.  It was such a memorable experience (I was 17 at the time) and everytime I hear this album I think of my time in Grand Cayman Island with these two dudes (neither of which I am really close to anymore).

Glad to have you aboard dude. I love hearing stories about how music leaves a mark on people's lives.

Next update is incoming..

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 06:02:55 PM »
Here's the first entry featuring my favourite band  :heart ...

#47 - Afterman: Ascension/Descension
Coheed and Cambria
Genre: progressive rock/metal
2012/13

This may be cheating but I have to put these together! Some of you may or may not know but I consider C&C my #1 band at this point. I'll touch more on it later as (spoilers) there will be more of their albums coming as we progress. I discovered C&C back in 2005 so by the time A: A/D rolled around I was already a lifelong fan. However, when Ascension was released I was travelling (I travelled around South East Asia and Australia from mid 2011- end of 2012) and wasn't really keeping up with new releases.

Now, I know for a fact I'm in the minority here but I was underwhelmed (and still am) by Domino the Destitute when I first heard it. Maybe that was why I didn't really get around to getting Ascension until Descension came out. On the flip side to Domino, I could not get enough of Dark Side of Me when it was released. It was easily my most listened to song of 2013! My love for both of these albums has definitely grown and even though I have put them both together on this list, my favourite of the two is Descension, by quite a bit. Surprisingly, or maybe not, my two favourite songs on Ascension are The Afterman and Subtraction, which are the two ballady songs. I mean the rest of the album is good but nothing reaches those highs, for me.

Moving onto Descension and there are way more tunes that I love. Most of these are located on the back half the album, culminating in the three song run of Iron Fist/Dark Side of Me/2's My Favourite 1. I dig the concept for these albums, even though I wasn't too hot on it at first. I REALLY love the album art and I have found my love for these albums continue to grow and grow.

This album takes me back to early 2013, I'd just started working in care and I'd not long come back from  travelling. I liked it back then but I'd say these albums grew on me especially in the last few years.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's "Top 50 Albums" #47 - If He's Not Here, Then Where?...
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
Yeah I know for sure this isn't the last time we're seeing Coheed  :corn
Good album though, I'd rank this behind IKS and NWFT but that's about it