Author Topic: Why did Queen lose the States in the 80's?  (Read 3888 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Why did Queen lose the States in the 80's?
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
Still seems like a weird phenomenon, where Queen got so much bigger everywhere in the world in the 80's, while their popularity dwindled here in the States.

What are the reasons?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Why did Queen lose the States in the 80's?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
.........wildranger?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
No, I am the original, not the copycat. :coolio

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
I'm starting to think Wildranger isn't really a person, but more of an idea.

Anyway. I dunno. Americans tend to move on. Their big hits were over by that point. America just moved on to the next thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
I read somewhere that the direction that Queen went with their album, Hot Space, did not resonate well with the US fans (which is kinda odd, since Queen would have still played stuff from their 70s albums in their live shows).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
Hot Space did have Under Pressure, which was a huge hit, but then again, the video was totally forgettable. Makes me wonder if a memorable video could have made a big difference.  MTV exploded in the early 80's and you had to either get on the train or get left behind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
If you don't tour fans lose interest.   So after a poor album Hot Space, they stopped touring North America.

The confluence lead to the lack of interest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »
That reminds me of a friend who had a chance to see them live in like '81, but passed and said to his friends at the time, "I'll see them next time."  And they never came back... :lol :lol  I give him crap about that any time Queen comes up in a music convo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Hot Space did have Under Pressure, which was a huge hit, but then again, the video was totally forgettable. Makes me wonder if a memorable video could have made a big difference.  MTV exploded in the early 80's and you had to either get on the train or get left behind.

Yes..

If you don't tour fans lose interest.   So after a poor album Hot Space, they stopped touring North America.

The confluence lead to the lack of interest.

..and yes.

I don't even remember the video to Under pressure, and I was watching. I do remember seeing Radio Gaga on MTV, but it was such a crappy song. I mean, WTF was that?

The only other thing I remember was One Vision, which frankly, paled to the true hard rock that was being played at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
The only video of theirs I remember seeing on MTV back in the day was I Want to Break Free, and that video was probably too out there for most kids watching MTV in 1984. It's cheeky fun to watch it now, but I am guessing if that song and video was your introduction to Queen at the age of 10, like it was for me, it was easy to take a hard pass on that and move on to someone else.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »
Yeah, that's just it. They had a huge hit with the disco-ish Another One Bites The Dust, but after that, they really wimped out 80's style. They weren't the only ones.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
https://queenzone.com/

Type in 'america' in the Google custom search box, and you'll find dozens of threads and hundreds of posts on the subject (some good, some great, a few idiotic). 

A good article:  https://medium.com/cuepoint/the-game-how-queen-conquered-and-lost-america-a3c48103ac62

Another topic where I could write an expose here (and still might some day).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
MTV played their videos all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Actually, I seem to recall a video where they were on the back of a moving car or truck or something, but I have no idea for what song.

I can't help but wonder too if their resurgence in America after Freddie's death would have been as big without Wayne's World giving Bohemian Rhapsody a second life.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
I can't help but wonder too if their resurgence in America after Freddie's death would have been as big without Wayne's World giving Bohemian Rhapsody a second life.

Not even close.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 07:47:07 PM »
Actually, I seem to recall a video where they were on the back of a moving car or truck or something, but I have no idea for what song.

On a train.  It was for Breakthru.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
It was for what?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
I have literally NEVER seen that before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »
I am not sure that is the video I was thinking about, because I have also never seen that.  Great tune, though!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
I have literally NEVER seen that before.

If I remember Tim you didn't have MTV.  They played that a lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
The video said 1989. I got MTV (Cable) in 1985. But I spent a ton of weekends at my grandparents in 1981-1984 watching MTV. I'm pretty familiar with MTV's early days. Once I went to college, other than Headbanger's Ball, I never watched MTV.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:02 PM »
It was 1989.  Tim was too busy listening to Skid Row and Dr. Feelgood that year. :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
My metal buddy. Lol. No doubt they were declining here.  Their albums were a mixed bag from Hot Space on but still some great tunes in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »
Eh, their albums starting becoming a mixed bag with News of the World.  I know many rave over that and Jazz, but both of those albums have a decent amount of pure crap.  Their first four albums were where they were killing it on nearly every song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
It was 1989.  Tim was too busy listening to Skid Row and Dr. Feelgood that year. :metal :metal

More like And Justice For All! :metal

I never bought the Skid Row. But I did have, and liked, Dr. Feelgood. Saw both bands within weeks of each other in December 1989.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »

More like And Justice For All! :metal

Why not Motorhead?? :P :lol

I never bought the Skid Row. But I did have, and liked, Dr. Feelgood. Saw both bands within weeks of each other in December 1989.

Dr. Feelgood did feel less hokey than the Crue's other material.  The title track and Kickstart My Heart both rock like crazy. :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »
Eh, their albums starting becoming a mixed bag with News of the World.  I know many rave over that and Jazz, but both of those albums have a decent amount of pure crap.  Their first four albums were where they were killing it on nearly every song.

The Gane is a killer album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:19 PM »

The Game is a killer album.

Fixed. ;)

The Game is their one consistent album between 1977 and 1989, but despite having two massive hits, I don't find it to have the highs that most of their others albums do.  I could probably do a top 30 or 40 by Queen and I don't think one song by The Game would be in there (but many would land in the 41-100 range).  Dragon Attack would have a decent shot, but that's it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »
 :lol

Oops.

That's just like those Rush fans that only talk about 2112 or up to Moving Pictures.

*Cough, cough,Tim, cough*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »
Tim is probably listening to Power Windows right now, so we might not get a reply tonight...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
That's just like those Rush fans that only talk about 2112 or up to Moving Pictures.

*Cough, cough,Tim, cough*

Tim isn't the only member of that club. I thought he and I were founding members. 

On topic... did Queen "have" the States prior to the 80s? Meaning... how big were they in the US in the 70s? Was there a big drop off, or was their popularity here always a lot less than it was elsewhere?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
 :rollin

Not "man" enough for him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
Chris,  no shit. That's why I said, "Those Rush fans."

Pluaral.