Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30865 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Ashes Against the Grain is one of the few albums that literally changed my perception of music. It was the album that opened me up to harsh-style vocals, and I think I heard it right after it came out (September or October '06, so literally a number of weeks after release) thanks to a friend hyping it up to me.

I don't like Agalloch's early music, everything up to Ashes is not for me. But Ashes is a top 10 album of all time to me, might very well be top 5. It's magical, enthralling, it's incredible from start to finish and that includes the bonus track (Scars of the Shattered Sky). I didn't like The Grain much at first but these days I 'get' it and I love every second of it.

I enjoy the albums after Ashes but not nearly as much as this album. I consider very few albums 'perfect' but this is one of them. I enjoy seeing it so high on Evermind's list and I'm gonna go listen to it now for the billionth time.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. To live my life in just one day (#5)
« Reply #351 on: December 27, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Not being discussed outside of PP or DTF (or previously, MP.com) applies to many bands that I listen to.  Probably all of the bands I sent 425 in his roulette, for example.

I'd actually love to know which ones specifically you're talking about (I'll have to go look back at 425's roulette). I've thought the same thing when I've seen some bands you like, but I don't hear them talked about much anywhere, and I kind of want to check them out!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Funnily enough, Ashes Against the Grain is at #4 on my top 50 list as well. Absolutely fantastic album. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline senecadawg2

Probably my favorite metal album of all time, from my favorite metal band of all time. And definitely a top 1 or 2 metal concert of all time too. Such a shame that they broke up, but their unique style survives them. They will hold a special place in my heart for a long time. Their final album doesnt quite hold up, in my view, but the rest are 5 star experiences.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lethean

Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. To live my life in just one day (#5)
« Reply #354 on: December 27, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
Not being discussed outside of PP or DTF (or previously, MP.com) applies to many bands that I listen to.  Probably all of the bands I sent 425 in his roulette, for example.

I'd actually love to know which ones specifically you're talking about (I'll have to go look back at 425's roulette). I've thought the same thing when I've seen some bands you like, but I don't hear them talked about much anywhere, and I kind of want to check them out!

I don't think I sent 425 anything you haven't already heard, except maybe Kingcrow, who I know you've heard of but am not sure if you've listened to them much.  Otherwise, Threshold, Need, Angra, Evergrey, Mystery.  Katatonia is the only one I've really heard talked about away from ProgPower people or DT people, and even them, not so much. 

• DTF.org Member
Probably my favorite metal album of all time, from my favorite metal band of all time. And definitely a top 1 or 2 metal concert of all time too. Such a shame that they broke up, but their unique style survives them. They will hold a special place in my heart for a long time. Their final album doesnt quite hold up, in my view, but the rest are 5 star experiences.
There are a few really noteworthy songs on that final album though. Birth and Death of the Pillars of Creation in particular is amazing and Plateau of the Ages is pretty close.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline senecadawg2

There are a few really noteworthy songs on that final album though. Birth and Death of the Pillars of Creation in particular is amazing and Plateau of the Ages is pretty close.

Oh absolutely--there are some great songs on the album. Somehow, though, it feels like less than the sum of its parts. In many ways its the opposite of Pale Folklore, I think. More mature, tighter, and focused; and yet PF has a magic to it, a magic that's gone missing by tSatS, if that makes any sense.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member

Oh absolutely--there are some great songs on the album. Somehow, though, it feels like less than the sum of its parts. In many ways its the opposite of Pale Folklore, I think. More mature, tighter, and focused; and yet PF has a magic to it, a magic that's gone missing by tSatS, if that makes any sense.
That definitely makes sense.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Peel has the best riff ever.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Ashes Against The Grain is pretty awesome stuff. I'm about halfway through my second listen and really blown away by the compositions. This is my favorite from your list so far.

Hopefully I don't get kicked out of the fogey club...

:emo:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member

Hopefully I don't get kicked out of the fogey club...

:emo:
We'll accept you in to the young cool kids club.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
We have punch and cake.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
the cake is a lie
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
and the punch is spiked
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. We will rise to start a newer day (#3)
« Reply #364 on: December 29, 2018, 07:35:10 AM »
:tup Thanks for keeping the discussion alive, guys.

Sorry about the fact I missed an update yesterday, work came in the way and I got back home quite late. Now that I worked my ass for the last two and a half weeks and the project I worked on is finished and now is in production as of 2 P.M. today, I'm back home and getting ready to head out to my favourite local bar, and the winter holidays have officially begun for me, let us finish this list. Three days left in 2018, and I've got three albums to rave and ramble about.

I Am Anonymous
Headspace
Genre: progressive metal
Recommended to me by: lonestar

Damian Wilson is quite well-known in progressive circles, with his work in Threshold, this band and Arjen Lucassen-related projects; but when my turn to host my roulette came, I only knew him from Ayreon and Star One. While I really liked him on songs like And the Druids Turn to Stone and Intergalactic Space Crusaders, for some reason (because of how smooth his voice is, probably) I assumed both Headspace and Threshold were making some kind of mild progressive rock, and as I’m apparently an idiot, I didn’t bother to check them out. That was quickly rectified by RJ in, I think, Round 3—he sent me Die with a Bullet, keeping the 10 minutes limit in mind, and while I didn’t love it like I did, say, Agalloch songs, the tune was pretty interesting, and the song definitely packed a punch and wasn’t in any realm of mild progressive rock. Some time down the line, I listened to it and that was one of the most astounding musical experiences in my life.

First of all, I did not expect it to have that many metal moments, even after Die with a Bullet. I guess I assumed they had put all the metal in one song. Boy, was I wrong on that notion. But the beauty here is the blend of all-out metal and the delicate acoustic moments, of which there are also plenty. The contrast between them, and the way the transitions work on this album is nothing short of fascinating. Except for the short and one of the most touching ballads I know called Soldier, the song structures on this album are unpredictable in the best way. Songs are flowing from the verses to different kinds of verses and to occasional choruses, punctuated by riffs and melodies that’ll stuck in your head for days, and just when you think it can’t get more epic then that, the next song contradicts you.

This album didn’t become my gateway into other work by Damian, as I wasn’t that impressed with Threshold albums with him on vocals, and neither had I ended up checking his solo work, even though I think someone (ErHaO?) sent me one of his solo songs later; and even the second Headspace album was underwhelming at best, not only failing to live up to the greatness of this record and to the overall hype, but even failing to sustain at least half of the quality. I guess the spark of brilliance they captured on this album is quite elusive.

That being said, I did meet Damian last year before the Ayreon show, and by “meet”, I mean that Damian was at the venue entrance shaking everyone’s hands, and to be honest, that little bit was enough for me to appreciate him even more. Things like that—going out of your way to enrich the fans experience of the show—will probably never fail to elevate my opinion of the famous musicians. I don’t know about anyone else and I don’t remember discussing it with the other DTFers at the show, but I didn’t think I could’ve been more excited about the show, and yet that one brief handshake brought the excitement to eleven. And then watching him nail the aforementioned And the Druids Turn to Stone and Intergalactic Space Crusaders… well, I may not be a fan of everything Damian have put out during his musical career, but it’s clear he’s very passionate about his work, and I admire him for that.

I wonder if he’ll do this handshake thing again in 2019!

Favourite songs: Fall of America (YouTube, Spotify), Soldier (YouTube, Spotify), In Hell’s Name (YouTube, Spotify), The Big Day (YouTube, Spotify)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. We will rise to start a newer day (#3)
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2018, 07:59:24 AM »
I heard guys here on DTF raving about this record so I gave it a try some time ago. I really like it, it's quite good. But it didn't blow me away like I thought/hoped it would.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. We will rise to start a newer day (#3)
« Reply #366 on: December 29, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »
I haven't listened to that Headspace album in what seems like an eternity. I remember liking it and the music was great. But I think Damian's voice has really affected its replay value for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
I haven't listened to that Headspace album in what seems like an eternity. I remember liking it and the music was great. But I think Damian's voice has really affected its replay value for me.

Swap these opinions about Damian and the music, and that's how I am with this album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
oh yeah this one is pretty good

Offline Lethean

« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
I just tried to send that album in Puppies' roulette. Great album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Evermind did too  :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: December 29, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
Evermind did too  :corn

Yeah, that was what made me drop out of that roulette. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #372 on: December 29, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
Oh really? I guess my reaction wasn't quite appropriate then - I just sent a different album. :P  Puppies was probably let down, expecting rage and fury. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #373 on: December 29, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »
Btw, I get people's difficulties with Damian's voice, but once it clicked for me (with Threshold), it really clicked and I love his voice now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #374 on: December 29, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: December 30, 2018, 03:27:13 AM »
This is an excellent album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. More than a faint memory can provide (#2)
« Reply #376 on: December 30, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Indeed it is.

Aquarius
Haken
Genre: circus music
Recommended to me by: DTF band thread

This is the third and the last repeat on the list, and while I know I’ve already got a lot of love and hate for Haken in this thread, I simply couldn’t omit this album, because while there are similarities between this one and The Mountain, Aquarius is very different from the acclaimed Haken’s masterpiece of a third album. And just like with Anathema and Leprous, in case I think the albums are very different, I allow myself to repeat the band in this list, but while the difference in my appreciation of Anathema and Leprous albums was small enough to neglect and put them next to each other, my love for Aquarius is way bigger than my appreciation for The Mountain.

Now, The Mountain is a very polished and incredibly well thought-out album. From the first track, The Path, to the final note of Somebody, it’s obvious that a lot of thought went into the record, and it’s somehow obvious to me that most of the songs underwent a lot of finessing and polishing into perfection. Everything on The Mountain sounds incredibly smooth, to the point of where I’m pondering how much thought exactly went into the songwriting and how the hell did Haken pull that off. Whereas Aquarius is way more rough in every department, be that the experimentation Ross does with his voice, changing it from silky to gritty to growls—and his gritty style on, say, Drowning in the Flood, is something that’s been absent in Haken music since Aquarius or so—or the circus music related to the concept appearing here and there.

It is definitely interesting, the whole debute albums by progressive bands debacle. Most of the Haken fans I’ve met here on DTF prefer The Mountain, yet Aquarius has this adventurous spark of a band not clogged down with burdens of fame, of need to keep up appearances; it’s simply an album made by people who are passionate about their craft. And while it’s definitely raw and there are genuine missteps, you can feel that passion in the music, in every note they play, in every word Ross belts out, in every guitar riff and keyboard lick they do. And while it’s good for your music to be calculated and polished into perfection, sometimes the raw talent is enough, and there’s more—sometimes it’s what makes your work beyond attractive to your listeners.

Since Aquarius, Haken released four more albums and are now prominent on the progressive scene, with each album gaining them more fans and, inevitably, alienating some of their older fans. They’re now able to co-headline tours in NA and headline European tours, and one could argue they’re one of the most famous young progressive metal stars on the scene now. And while the band itself endured some lineup changes and doesn’t like to play songs from Aquarius now, focusing on the newer material; and while most of the fans agree on The Mountain being Haken’s crowning achievement, I will cherish this album as the best thing they’ve ever done so far. They might’ve been young and they might’ve been inexperienced, but I would take this over The Mountain in a heartbeat—something about this record just tugs at all of my heartstrings, never failing to leave me in awe of the sheer magnitude of this album after the last notes of Celestial Elixir fade.

Thank you for that, DTF.

Favourite songs: Aquarium (YouTube, Spotify), Drowning in the Flood (YouTube, Spotify), Sun (YouTube, Spotify), Celestial Elixir (YouTube, Spotify)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:18:58 AM by Evermind »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
It is nice to see some love for this album. It's a really good one
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
:clap:

My favourite Haken album. Well done including it here :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
The Mountain is the best them but this one's really good too so whatevs

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Visions is the best them but this one's really good too so whatevs

Ftfm
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Ftfm
visions is actually the weakest haken album but go off

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Ftfm
visions is actually the weakest haken album but go off

+1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
If Vector didn’t exist, sure.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey