Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30597 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Rise and bury your white flag (#8)
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2018, 12:38:11 PM »
One of their best albums.  Pretty much album of the year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
Yeah, one of the best FW record that I know.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
Yay! An album I heard of!  ;D Great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2018, 05:01:41 AM »
Dammit Evermind, I cannot get the title track of the Karmakanic album you posted out of my head.  ;)
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The final hour strikes (#7)
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Fuck management and fuck the bosses at my job. Bright side, only five days left until the holidays.

Theories is my one-and-only FW album that I own.  DiaDL and Art of Loss were mediocre at best, imo.  I'd asked for FW recc's from the Hard Rock/Classic Metal thread, and I remember being directed to Parallels and Disconnected, along with Inside out and FWX.

I don't share your opinion for Art of Loss, but yeah, DiaDL was a weak effort, in my opinion.

Dammit Evermind, I cannot get the title track of the Karmakanic album you posted out of my head.  ;)

Yeah, been there. It's even worse because I don't know the lyrics, so I randomly hum some of the stuff. Glad you enjoyed it!

To people praising Theories of Flight, I told you the good stuff is coming. Onwards to #7!

Delivering the Black
Primal Fear
Genre: heavy metal
Recommended to me by: wolfking praising this album a thousand times all over GMD

The directions and the ways my musical tastes changed and evolved since my first list are probably going to disappoint the older crowd, with a lot of stupid hipster metal and rock like Bent Knee, Leprous or Anathema, with mellow records from Arstidir and Marketa Irglova, and with those gothic dark “woe is me I’m so depressed” artists like Katatonia or Soen. You guys probably followed this list and ended up being disappointed at the selections, but the truth is, DTF broadened my musical horizons by a wide margin. I’m not that power metal fan I was five years ago, but I won’t ever be ashamed to say I was that fan—it was fun and exciting while it lasted—and while I’m no longer drawn to genres like power metal and classic metal, as I said before, if you do it extremely well, like this record does, you may reignite that old spark inside me. I knew of Primal Fear, of course, but I never bothered to check them out, thinking of generic German metal like Accept puts out.

However, Kade convinced me, not even directly. He just kept talking about this great Primal Fear album, how it kicks all kinds of ass, reiterating his one very simple point (that the album kicks all kinds of ass) across five or six threads at a time. I already knew his tastes were quite excellent, and they proved true—this record is a gem I would’ve probably never discovered without his help. I’ve been following Primal Fear since then, and also going back into their discography, and nothing from it managed to hit me like this. Like a ton of heavy metal bricks.

Ralf Scheepers does his best on this album, and it shows, with low and high notes everywhere, and what’s more impressive, when I saw them on the Moscow Metal Meeting festival in support for this record, he sounded even tighter live. They only performed two songs from this album, if I remember correctly, When Death Comes Knocking and Alive and on Fire, but for the 50 minutes slot they’ve got they were by far and away my favourite band I saw that day (competing against Helloween, Amorphis, Dark Tranquility and Arkona, as I wrote before). Missed them in 2017 due to the vacation in Germany, and while Apocalypse isn’t as exciting as this one, I’m going to see them live next time if the dates align.

I wish Magnus Karlsson stopped stretching himself thin between various projects and let his ideas stew for a while for Primal Fear, but then again I wish for him to return to Allen/Lande songwriting, and I also wish I were (how come it’s “were”? It should be “was”, but somehow I’m sure I saw those “wish I were” things somewhere) able to see about thirty bands that are on my bucket list live, but sometimes we’ve got to settle for whatever hand life gave us, and so I’ll live with it. Funny thing, I don’t even own a physical copy of this album anymore, I traded it away with a guy who doesn’t even appreciate Primal Fear. I should’ve given him Homo Erraticus by Ian Anderson or some equally shitty album I own, but my conscience wouldn’t let me. But that’s a story for another update and another day.

Favourite songs: When Death Comes Knocking (YouTube, Spotify), One Night in December (YouTube, Spotify), Born With a Broken Heart (YouTube, Spotify)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The final hour strikes (#7)
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
This was my first PF album release after I became a fan, and man is it all kinds of awesome.  One Night in December is simply flawless.  I too can thank Kade/Brent and the Hard Rock gang/thread for putting me on to PF.  I didn't go back any further than Seven Seals, and the 'best of' compilation that came out right after that, but have everything from that point.  Apocalypse was a good one, but they're starting to feel a little too samey - excellent music, but nothing horribly unique / innovative / fresh.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Filling out my 2019 musical calendar atm, throwing lots of these artists into the mix for January. This will be fun! Surprised to see Primal Fear so high. Haven't heard that album but I clearly need to, I love Rulebreaker... EDIT: When I saw them live in 2016, Scheepers proved he's one of the best live metal singers out there. That dude is phenomenal live and so captivating to watch. I was right up front and heard him still screaming when he'd pull the mic away and I could still hear him clearly over the rest of the band. Monstrous singer.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
This album is still one of the best albums of the past 10-15 years or more.  Primal Fear have always been a fav and their catalog IMO has been very consistent from start to finish, but this one was the stars aligning.  I loved Devil's Ground, Black Sun and to that point my fav of Seven Seals, but this is my favourite now.  When Magnus Karlsson was announced as a permanent guitarist for the band, I was a little aprehensive after New Religion.  I thought that their styles would come together and turn PF into more of that Frontiers, melodic rock style, and 16.6 kind of went that way but was still very good, but DTB put those thoughts to bed for good.  It took them an album but they nailed it.  This is a wonderful and one of the most complete heavy metal albums of all time really, from a modern sense anyway.

The challenge was to see how the band would respond, and even though Rulebreaker and Apocalyse aren't DTB level, they never really were going to be and are still bloody excellent albums in their own right.  The band is on a roll at the moment, and it's great to see.

Oh, and sorry if I carried on about it so much, every second post of mine back then must have been about this album.  ;D  I know j loves this one as much as I do too. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:05:05 PM by wolfking »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »
Magnus can get a bit same-y with his songwriting but this album stands out and is definitely one of his best.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
I definitely need to listen to that Primal Fear album. I only know Rulebreaker and that record was  :metal.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. It's a dangerous path we are taking (#6)
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
Oh, and sorry if I carried on about it so much, every second post of mine back then must have been about this album.  ;D  I know j loves this one as much as I do too. 

There's no need to apologize for carriying on about it so much when the album in question is that awesome. Everyone, especially you guys who are already into PF, seriously, give it a try.

Now, onward with a somewhat obscure one which I diligently tried to send in as many roulettes as I dared.

Empires Never Last
Galahad
Genre: progressive rock / progressive metal
Recommended to me by: ErHaO

As we’re approaching the final entries in this list, I begin reflecting on all the choices for this one. When I sat to determine the order of the records’ appearance on this list, I sort of knew the Top 10 will feature a lot of highly regarded albums on DTF. And at the same time I knew that there will be Number Seven by Phideaux and this very gem.

This—and, well, four albums out of the remaining five after that one—is a perfect example of what kind of things I’m looking for while running a roulette. I’m too lazy to do a full-blown album roulette, and I don’t think the concept was introduced when I hosted my first two, anyway, but the ideal submission should be good enough for me to check out the album or the band and not be disappointed with the rest of the material on it. I know, I know, your best strategy is to send the best songs and to hell with it, and I do that myself too, but I’m just saying that it’s always a huge pleasure to discover that not only the song you gave me was excellent, but the whole album lives up to the hype and the expectations. With Empires Never Last it’s exactly like that; the title track had me hooked, and the album, from the starting chant of De-Fi-Ance to the last notes of fantastic This Life Could Be My Last, delivers the goods just as much as the title track does. While 9+ minutes long tracks can be tedious to listen to in roulettes, the song Empires Never Last seems to be a good introduction to Galahad for people, staying simple yet interesting enough to hold even the fogeys attention—I remember Chad and Kade liking it.

The album has two huge potential drawbacks I could see, not counting its general neo-progressive rock style with a singer which may not be up everyone’s alley. One of them is the fact that this album is pretty political, as far as I was able to discern—not sure if there’s anything directed at something in particular, but the lyrics for Sidewinder and Empires Never Last are, as expected, touching the political matters like discussing the forms of government and other aspects, I suppose. I don’t have an issue with that. In fact, I found the general vibe of lyrics on the album to be refreshing. Second, the album is a bit on a quirky side, especially with the singer’s unusual delivery of some lines, which becomes overly apparent on I Could Be God. However, every chorus here is infectious, the song structures are varied and inspired, and you can also hear the bass at all times.

Nothing else I’ve checked from these guys grabbed me, although their latest, called Seas of Change, was decent enough, but honestly, while, of course, it’s fantastic to discover the whole new excellent discography of a band, if I find at least one an album this fabulous, I consider my foray into the band’s work a staggering success. For someone who sent me a lot of mediocre stuff, ErHaO, you certainly introduced me to a lot of fantastic records, including When Time Fades by Suspyre, which narrowly missed the honourable mentions, Circus Maximus and this one, which is, as far as I’m concerned, your crowning achievement in my roulettes.

I’m going to spin this album again, I think.

Favourite songs: Termination (YouTube, Spotify), Empires Never Last (YouTube, Spotify), This Life Could Be My Last (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
I don’t even own a physical copy of this album anymore, I traded it away with a guy who doesn’t even appreciate Primal Fear. I should’ve given him Homo Erraticus by Ian Anderson or some equally shitty album I own, but my conscience wouldn’t let me. But that’s a story for another update and another day.
:lol

Hey, I haven't posted in a while but I happened to see this! If it's any consolation, I am currently checking out some 2018 albums I've been meaning to rate and one that I've seen you post about (Myles Kennedy) seems really promising so far. That Primal Fear album is collecting dust in Amsterdam now but I will visit NL in February so I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a spin then!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
You can go hang out with us before Ayreon show next year (but I saw you posted that you're staying in Berlin, so that's probably not an option) and give it back to me, I'll give you a properly shitty album this time!

It's a really great album though. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I did indeed love this track.  I should go back and spin the album, because I don't really remember anything about it after I checked it out - though, that could be all the information I need.  Assuming it's on Spotify, I'll try to remember to give 'er a go in the coming week(s).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I did indeed love this track.  I should go back and spin the album, because I don't really remember anything about it after I checked it out - though, that could be all the information I need.  Assuming it's on Spotify, I'll try to remember to give 'er a go in the coming week(s).

I would assume you'd like Termination, then try to get past I Could Be God, I would say that'd be too quirky for you. The final run of four songs starting from Sidewinder is fantastic, I'd say you should definitely revisit that. Also it is on Spotify, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to provide Spotify links.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. To live my life in just one day (#5)
« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Only five updates left!

Snowfall on Judgment Day
Redemption
Genre: progressive metal
Recommended to me by: Tomislav

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, and while DTF community proved to me on several different occasions this particular nitpick is a stupid prejudice on my end, but here goes: if I happen to dislike the band’s name or the album’s name, be that because it sounds too pretentious to my tastes (and knowing my tastes, you probably realize that there is a lot of leeway allowed here), or because it’s just weirdly written. Pain of Salvation is one band I didn’t check out for a long time, just because the name is ridiculous. Redemption, in retrospect, isn’t so bad, but I think I associated it with Pain of Salvation too—and this makes me wonder, is there a band named Pain of Redemption somewhere?—and therefore I haven’t heard a note from these guys before Tomislav pushed me face-first into Black and White World right in the first round of my Roulette v2. That led me to check out Snowfall on Judgment Day, which, in turn, led me to purchase the whole Redemption discography and discover The Origins of Ruin, which, if it wasn’t so similar stylistically to this one, would’ve also appeared in Top 10, The Art of Loss, which was met with a lot of lukewarm reviews here on DTF and yet I still love this record, and it would’ve been another candidate for this list, and others, which may be not that great, but still spectacularly good. The only thing I don’t own is the new one, but that’s because I somewhat burned out of discovering and buying new records. Once the holidays are over, I think I’ll order it and a bunch of other albums I kept my eyes on for a while now.

While I know that some of the readers find this type of progressive metal boring, this is probably the most appealing style in the genre to me right now. Evergrey, latest Fates Warning album, Redemption, Need, these bands write exactly the kind of progressive metal I’ve been lately drawn to, and while most of these bands I mentioned do it with fluctuating level of quality, I would say Redemption is that one band that upholds that quality on an extremely high level, probably because of the consistency of songwriting. While yes, you almost always know what to expect from this band, they keep it varied enough to sound fresh and not repetitive; and while the lyrics often deal with love and loss and human relationship, it never gets to the point where the lyrics become detrimental to the songs—in fact, it’s the opposite. With Memory and Black and White World, Nick van Dyk managed to write some of my favourite lyrics on that particular theme.

It’s been a few months since Long Night’s Journey Into Day was released, and while I’m still not quite sure how I feel about Tom Englund singing for Redemption now, I’m inclined to say I don’t mind the change. I would say I still prefer Ray Alder, but that could be because for these two and a half years I’ve become accustomed hearing Ray’s soulful vocals over Nick’s music. I will have to take some time to adjust to this, but even still—considering how drastically the bands’ music sometimes changes when they replace their original singer—the new album still sounds like Redemption all the way. And it’s quite good, no doubt about that, as were most of the previous records by this very talented group of people—but Snowfall on Judgment Day is the point where Redemption reached their peak, in my opinion.

Favourite songs: Peel (YouTube, Spotify), Black and White World (YouTube, Spotify), Love Kills Us All / Life in One Day (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. To live my life in just one day (#5)
« Reply #331 on: December 26, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »
As this is the only Redemption album that does something to me (I find all the others bland one way or another), I agree with this pick, though I would personally not put it as high (or even in a top 50).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: December 26, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »
Still the best Redemption album.  Again, one of the best metal albums in a long long time.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: December 26, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
Fullness of Time is the one that made my Top 50v2, but it was a close call between it and Snowfall.  Still their best 2 albums, though Long Night's is a damn fine album.  Quite possibly in my Top 5 for the year.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #334 on: December 26, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
Fullness of Time is the one that made my Top 50v2, but it was a close call between it and Snowfall.  Still their best 2 albums, though Long Night's is a damn fine album.  Quite possibly in my Top 5 for the year.
Fullness of Time would be my Redemption pick as well, but I still really love their first album. It has some really strong stuff on it. It's more adventurous, which doesn't always work, but still it's a fun listen.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: December 26, 2018, 06:35:07 PM »
My favorite Redemption album is This Mortal Coil.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: December 26, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
There's a particularly odd fascination with this band amongst the ProgPower USA community especially. Like, outside of DTF and PP I've never heard of this band. Heard most of the albums... kind of embodies most of what I dislike about prog metal actually, yet I'm not surprised to see Snowfall so high. I do like the song Leviathan Rising a lot. I think this album is generally better than the rest that I've heard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #337 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
i mean i wasn't gonna say anything but if katt's gonna say something then i might as well too

i have never enjoyed any redemption song i've ever heard, they are the epitome of generic prog metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: December 26, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
i mean i wasn't gonna say anything but if katt's gonna say something then i might as well too

i have never enjoyed any redemption song i've ever heard, they are the epitome of generic prog metal

I only say that because the band is being discussed and like I said the isolated relatively small circle of fandom fascinates me given how I perceive the music, musical taste is so interesting. I agree with the second part of this post but wanted to be a bit more constructive, at least I'm not crazy ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #339 on: December 26, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
:tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2018, 09:43:41 PM »
Not being discussed outside of PP or DTF (or previously, MP.com) applies to many bands that I listen to.  Probably all of the bands I sent 425 in his roulette, for example.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
Catching up with the thread.

Primal Fear - Delivering the Black: Good enjoyable metal album.

Galahad - Empires Never Last: Okay. Some very interesting moments but not enough of them. I suspect multiple listens would be necessary to really appreciate it.

Redemption - Snow Fall on Judgement Day: Excellent. The riffs are right in my sweet spot for metal. The melodies flow naturally and the vocals aren't cliche'. Fantastic piano work. I'll be buying this one.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Falling snow to sweep the landscape (#4)
« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
Regarding the Redemption love and hate: well, good thing that I sometimes really like generic progressive metal, right?

Galahad - Empires Never Last: Okay. Some very interesting moments but not enough of them. I suspect multiple listens would be necessary to really appreciate it.

Redemption - Snow Fall on Judgement Day: Excellent. The riffs are right in my sweet spot for metal. The melodies flow naturally and the vocals aren't cliche'. Fantastic piano work. I'll be buying this one.

I kinda think Galahad is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't know why I enjoy it so much. Good to see you enjoying that Redemption album though!

Here's the update everyone knew was coming.

Ashes Against the Grain
Agalloch
Genre: death or black metal, I still can’t tell them apart
Recommended to me by: senecadawg2

It’s albums like this one that make me all giddy and excited about my next roulette. Not only I discovered a great band with fabulous discography—and of course, they disbanded right after that—but Ashes Against the Grain paved the crooked path to discovering, and subsequently liking or loving the albums I would have never dared to spin before: the ones with growls dominating the vocal sections. This album opened several new genres for me to discover, and while I didn’t delve deep in these, only scratched the surface in preparation for Parama roulette—and so I had to avoid a lot of well-known in the genres, too—I do think there is a lot of potential there. However, it often happens that I’m very fond of my first exposure to the genre, or the artist. Say, my first Brandon Sanderson book was Mistborn: The Final Empire (not counting the Wheel of Time series he finished after Robert Jordan’s death), and while I can tell his writing improved visibly nowadays, that one still holds a special place in my heart. It could be the same with Agalloch. I’ve even read on Wikipedia that one of the band members went as far as saying this could be the weakest album they’ve ever recorded, but for me it’s a pure musical bliss.

Nelson sent me the two songs from Our Fortress is Burning suite as the closer for his EP, which was already quite a risky one, featuring Thrice and Ludovico Einaudi, but he mostly didn’t have anything to lose after his Neil Young entries tanked in the penultimate round. I remember listening to this song, not even knowing what artist was it, and just simply being mesmerized by how beautiful the music is, and also wondering when the vocals will begin. Turns out, the vocals don’t begin until the very end on this particular suite of songs, and they definitely weren’t what I expected them to be—which shows my complete inexperience with black/death metal in general—and yet they fit the song in a way I never imagined. This was an eye-opening moment for me. It made me change my perspective on the growl-heavy genres of metal.

I’ve got this album under somewhat unusual circumstances, taking Dennis aka Train of Naught on the offer to give it to me in exchange to one of my own albums (I might’ve suggested the latter part), because we were both eyeing The Dear Hunter albums and Agalloch ones while Luke aka FlyingBIZKIT was selling them on DTF, and as Train got his PM earlier than me, he bought them. Apparently his conscience got better of him, so he offered to give me that Agalloch album during our DTF meetup for Ayreon Universe in Tilburg, saying he prefers The Mantle anyway. Well, my conscience got better of me too, because instead of giving away a shitty album, I gave him that Primal Fear record featured two updates above, the copy of which I scored at the merch stand on that festival Primal Fear played here. While I suspected Train won’t enjoy it, this list at least shows that I wasn’t trying to swindle him on the deal—I genuinely enjoy that PF album a lot.

I sometimes send my best friend some music recommendations, and sometimes he even asks for them, and sometimes I just put some music on during out board games sessions with friends (never something with growls though unless everyone’s alright with it—I think I might’ve used this record when we played Dead of Winter: Crossroads). I’ve got him into Ayreon and Steven Wilson and whatnot, and he honestly considers Agalloch one of his best discoveries through me. According to him, even his father, who’s more of a classic metal guy (he loved The Book of Souls and raved about it to me for 20 minutes straight), liked this album. I would’ve found it hard to believe, but considering that it’s sitting comfortably on my #4 spot of DTF discovers, I can see that being true.

I’m fairly sure a lot of anti-growls folks here are set in their ways, and I’m not trying to change that in any way. But man, this album is something else.

YouTube version for Our Fortress is Burning combines two songs into one.

Favourite songs: Falling Snow (YouTube, Spotify), Not Unlike the Waves (YouTube, Spotify), Our Fortress is Burning: I (YouTube, Spotify), Our Fortress is Burning: II - Bloodbirds (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
agalloch are pretty good yeah

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Shame they disbanded though.

Also, post your Top 3 predictions if you want.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
#1: Native Construct - Quiet World

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, post your Top 3 predictions if you want.

I will have never heard of the band or the album. There's my prediction.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I'll take The Mantle over Ashes Against the Grain, but they're both really good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tyrias

Even if Agalloch say it's their worst album, I still think it's their best.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Have only listened to The Mantle, and thought it was bland black metal paired with bland post-rock, but I'll give this one a try  :corn