Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30595 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The world will find a way (#28)
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
You did send me something by them earlier via e-mail, and I was so thorougly unimpressed with it I didn't check them out at all. I looked it up and the song was called As I Am.

Oh... right.  That's a middle-of-the-road song.  I assume I sent it to you as part of my 'almost DT' playlist or something?  A bunch of songs with the same title as a DT song?  That's the only reason I can think of as to why I would share that song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Traveling across the fallen earth (#27)
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »
You did send me something by them earlier via e-mail, and I was so thorougly unimpressed with it I didn't check them out at all. I looked it up and the song was called As I Am.

Oh... right.  That's a middle-of-the-road song.  I assume I sent it to you as part of my 'almost DT' playlist or something?  A bunch of songs with the same title as a DT song?  That's the only reason I can think of as to why I would share that song.

I think that was it, yes. I just listened to that song again and boy does it suck.

Love, Fear and the Time Machine
Riverside
Genre: progressive rock
Recommended to me by: DTF band thread

Riverside is one of those DTF bands which if you’re not familiar with any of their material, you’re going to get roasted pretty quickly—if you’re not a fogey person, that is. Older folks get a pass on this one.

Not all of bands can boast about having their own sound. There are bound to be some comparisons going on whenever a relatively new band enters a progressive metal scene. Don’t believe me? Go and read the comments about the following acts. Circus Maximus or Haken? They’re channeling DT, can’t you hear those obvious DT influences in their music? You can’t? You must be deaf, it’s so obvious. Soen? They’re now doing (and before they were channeling Tool, but they get a pass because Tool is awesome) what Opeth was doing, except now Opeth is shit, Mikael is a pussy for stopping doing growls (I can’t even express how much bullshit is packed into this small message), so while Soen doesn’t do growls, they do Opeth better than Opeth (what in the world?).

On a somewhat unrelated note, I admire Dream Theater, and I absolutely, absolutely fucking agree they were the inspiration for a lot of bands that are relevant today. Dream Theater is great. And you know, whenever any band tries to do something that reminds you of DT material, it perhaps would benefit everyone that you won’t point it out, or at least do it respectfully. Like, okay, Haken has some DT influences in their music. You don’t have to go around DTF and mention it in each and every thread, sometimes demeaningly. And it works the other way around, let’s say DT unknowingly used something that was already used before? Just let it go, folks. There’s no point of waging a war all over the Internet over this. The thing is, it doesn’t really happen on DTF often, but the other social media is full of it—but since I don’t post on the other social media a lot, I get to rant about that on DTF.

That went on an unrelated tangent long enough, and what I was saying is that Riverside is somehow unique on the progressive rock and metal scene right now. Be that enchanting voice of Mr. Duda or unbelievable guitar playing of the late Piotr Grudziński, these guys managed to establish their own sound, varying it from album to album, and build their own fanbase in just a few records. Off top of my head, I can’t name one band that sounds exactly like Riverside.

So, disregarding my DT rant… how lucky were we to get those several Riverside albums to grace the Earth before Piotr left us? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve bought Wasteland and I enjoy it, but there is a certain magic contained in the previous records, and while I don’t quite care about ADHD or Shrines, records like Out of Myself and this one are equivalent to a gut-punch for me, because the emotions hidden and written behind those are of the highest quality. ”What a pile of bullshit”, you’re thinking now, and you’re probably right if this album doesn’t do anything for you—but whenever Time Travellers is up on my speakers, I either can’t hold the tears back or have the shivers down by spine. It’s the stupidest thing… and yet it’s one of the most powerful songs I’ve ever heard.

It also might be the worst analogy I’ve ever written. Shivers from a gut-punch? Let’s move on.

Favourite songs: Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire (YouTube, Spotify), Discard Your Fear (YouTube, Spotify), Time Travellers (YouTube, Spotify)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

Riverside :) :) :)

I agree, except I do love Shrines and ADHD (as well as all of the others).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I have heard every riverside album and either this one or maybe REM (which is, for the record, the only one I don't own so it's unfair to say) is my least favorite, great pick  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I've given Riverside more than a fair amount of effort to click.

They just aren't for me it would seem.

And it works the other way around, let’s say DT unknowingly used something that was already used before? Just let it go, folks.

You mean like a manhwa comic or something?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I think he means like a single cover

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Anno Domini High Definition completely blows this one away, but hey, this one is good too :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The world will find a way (#28)
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
I have still not given Mystery a dedicated listen.

Yeah, can't say the name rings a bell at all to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I thought that Mystery album was okay. I liked it but nothing really made it stand out, and their new one was the same.

I'm glad you chose to feature the best Riverside album.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
My least favorite Riverside album. It's still ok though. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Prob my third favorite riverside album, still cool  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The ink runs dark and dry (#26)
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »
And it works the other way around, let’s say DT unknowingly used something that was already used before? Just let it go, folks.

You mean like a manhwa comic or something?

I think he means like a single cover

I'll let this stay... a mystery. :biggrin:

Good to see all the variation of your rankings. Always curious to see the fanbase divided on what's the band's favourite album is.

Death is Just a Feeling
Amadeus Awad
Genre: progressive rock / progressive metal
Recommended to me by: lonestar

Amadeus Awad is one of musicians that are relatively unknown on the progressive rock and metal scene, yet quite well-known on DTF because a few regulars were using them in the roulettes, which is how I was introduced to his music. RJ sent me a song from one of the earlier EPs, and I don’t believe Death is Just a Feeling was out by that time. The song was quite good, and the fact that it featured Russell Allen and someone else which I really don’t remember, and it’s quite late—maybe Amanda Somerville? I hope I’m not wrong—added to the song’s charm, and I suppose to Amadeus’ popularity.

2015 saw the release of his first full-length album, and we received a digital promo copy via Lady Obscure, and RJ pushed for me to review it, considering that not only I liked previous work of this Lebanese musician, but I also was a big fan of Arjen Lucassen and Anneke van Giersbergen, both lending their voices on the record. You also have a regular Amadeus’ vocals contributor Elia Monsef (you might know him from Ostura recent release, too), and then people like Marco Minnemann and Jimmy Keegan on drums. I did a review for this album, I think I gave it 4.5/5, and it’s safe to say those were the most honest 4.5 I gave out—I loved the record, and I listened to it a lot of times.

Anneke is present on three tracks, the opener, Sleep Paralysis and Lonesome Clown, which make about half of the album as it’s quite short, I’m not sure if it’s even over 40 minutes. There’s one Elia Monsef track, and then one track with Arjen singing on it, and perhaps surprisingly for Arjen, the track ended up being pretty good, in singing department too. The album is also filled with spoken word bits which, while may be a bit overdone, do a good job contributing to the concept, and are actually pretty well-written.

I saw people comparing this album with Steven Wilson’s Hand. Cannot. Erase. (the last two songs, especially), which could’ve brought me to my previous rant in Riverside’s writeup, but I honestly haven’t seen any comment where it was done in a negative way. Amadeus is an amazing songwriter, and this album is a spectacular achievement, but if I were to guess, I’d say he has a small, but dedicated fanbase. And I guess it when the band’s get bigger, then you can find a lot of vitriol and hate in the comments for their output. This, I suppose, is an interesting and somewhat obvious point I’m raising here. It’s incredible how thick-skinned you have to be as an artist, be that a writer, musician or anyone. The critique to the work you put out for the entire world to see, sometimes pouring your heart and soul into it—the thought of it makes me shudder. I would say that’s why I don’t make music or write books, but in fact I’m probably just a lazy ass. Props to the people like Amadeus, though, who manage to pull it off with such a extraordinary results as Death is Just a Feeling.

Favourite songs: Sleep Paralysis (YouTube, Spotify), Tomorrow Lies (YouTube, Spotify), Lonesome Clown (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The ink runs dark and dry (#26)
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »
yeah this one is good

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
You are correct... Book of Gates featured both Allen and Somerville.  Good memory.  I prefer that EP.... actually, I prefer the re-release that combines both Book of Gates and Schizanimus.  None-the-less, this is an excellent album as well.  And yeah... he definitely poured his heart and soul (about as literally as one can) into this album.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »
Just catching up with this thread.

I love Lykaia, I've got the other albums as well and Tellurian is my #2 but it's nowhere near as good Lykaia. I've listened to the two new singles and the new album will hopefully be a good one.

Katatonia, I've tried quite a few of their albums over the last few years but none of them have ever interested me enough to download them. I should probably revisit some time.

Amorphis, their latest is in my top 10 of the year and the previous album is obviously also great. I haven't dug any deeper into their back catalogue but I've added this one to my list  :metal

Riverside, I have all their albums now and honestly struggle to pick my fave. Their style of prog rock is one that I enjoy but don't get rabid over. They were fucking great when I saw them last year though.

As to the others, I've heard you guys talk about Amadeus Awad but never listened, and the Mystery album also sounds interesting, so they're added to 'the list' as well  :corn

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
I've got a few moments to spend in this thread today, so I thought I'd punch in that Riverside album.  :omg: Time Travellers is gorgeous! Gonna listen to some more stuff. Thanks Ev. I owe you a couple of books :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
Hey I'm pretty late, but I wanted to say I'm glad you ended up liking While Heaven Wept so Much! I am surprised they don't get a ton of attention here since they seem like the perfect DTF band, but it's good to know some folks are enjoying them.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. A wonder is born (#29)
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
Great, great album.  We named our cat Sampo.

Jon, this is the coolest thing I've read for a long time.  You turned your cat into the most badass fucking cat ever!!

Great, great album.  We named our cat Sampo.

What a name. As a huge fan of cats, is there any chance to see a photo of him/her?

:tup

Cheers, guys!

a few images of Sampo.  He's a rescued stray that we found last year abandoned behind our local grocery store when he was a tiny kitten.

With his coloring I guess we could just as well have called him The Smoke
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Wave hello to who I came to be (#25)
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
He looks fantastic, Jon! The first pic is especially awesome. Very fit and very good-looking fellow. :heart

I've got a few moments to spend in this thread today, so I thought I'd punch in that Riverside album.  :omg: Time Travellers is gorgeous! Gonna listen to some more stuff. Thanks Ev. I owe you a couple of books :)

I'll take this deal, sure. Just started King of Thorns today because I finally caved in and bought both of the remaining books in that trilogy.

Oh, the irony. Just when I said our company cut our available OT hours last month, this week our boss approached some of us and told us we're free to put as many OT hours as we need to finish our project till the end of the year. :lol So that means I'll be working both remaining weekends, which kinda sucks—but as the posts for this thread are pre-written, I think we'll do just fine. I may be slacking in some of the roulettes though.

Two updates today, and due to some of the interesting albums down the list I'm confident I can wrap it up in 10 or 11 days.

Without further ado, here we go!

Communication Lost
Wolverine
Genre: progressive metal
Recommended to me by: Dr. DTVT

A rare breed of dark progressive metal where you can hear every instrument in the mix clearly, this album takes the approach Soen did with Lykaia and turns it to eleven by writing even darker songs, losing some melancholy and adding a few power ballads with well thought out choruses. First sent me in my first roulette by Mason, this band took a few tries for me to get into it, and while I enjoy other albums somewhat, Communication Lost hit me in the feels harder than anything else by Wolverine. It’s a very long album, almost filling the 80 minutes of CD to the brim, and the thing is, the atmosphere doesn’t change much during the whole experience. Unfortunately, that means if this kind of music isn’t quite your cup of tea, you will find this album underwhelming. Fortunately, as this has been the kind of music I’ve been drifting to lately, I found this album, well, not the best thing, but the 25th best thing, I suppose.

There are albums where the album art works so perfectly with the album’s name and the album’s music, when you just have to wonder how much thought went into it, or if it was half-intentional, half-coincidence. Those stories can usually be found in interviews, and I haven’t read any Wolverine interviews at all, but I can safely say this is one of those cases where both the album title and the art are incredibly evocative and perfectly representative of what kind of music the album itself entails. Sometimes simple is the best, and for the bleak atmosphere they were going for, this album art fits remarkably well.

It’s also curious how, for me, Communication Lost features an unconventional album structure. In my head, I split it in two parts, each one building up to one big emotional climax with soaring vocals and epic, heavy guitars backing them up. The first run is from the track’s opener to Your Favourite War, which releases the energy from meaty Into the Great Nothing and acoustic Poison Ivy with a certain deadpan delivery, building up to a fantastic guitar solo and all-out ending. Then the second buildup begins, and this one is entirely on another scale, with emotional aspect of the album ebbing and flowing, resulting in some of the great choruses like In Memory of Me and then some quiet moments, before finally rolling into the ultimate song of the record: the title track.

When I began writing this, I was determined to mention that the title track is one of the best songs I discovered on DTF. Then I looked at my whole Top 50. Then I contemplated how many more awesome albums—and brilliant songs—didn’t make this list. I just can’t make statements like this, and even this album ranking is superficial—on any other day a lot of these albums could be easily swapped around. Therefore I’ll just say that the title track is great beyond belief—but so are another hundred songs or so you kind folks introduced me to.

Favourite songs: Your Favourite War (YouTube, Spotify), In Memory of Me (YouTube, Spotify), Communication Lost (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Lethean

Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Wave hello to who I came to be (#25)
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
Wolverine was at ProgPower USA a while back and their regular set was awesome.  Their singer was pretty much dead on and it was an intense set.  Then the next day they did an acoustic set and it was incredible.  Really incredible.  They told some stories about some of the songs and it was a really cool experience.  Communication Lost was the most recent album at the time.  It's my favorite of theirs too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »
Gonna have to check out that Wolverine. I've never heard them before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
I checked out the album after you submitted one of the tracks to me just this last roulette.  Very enjoyable.  It'll be a keeper (at least on Spotify).  Not sure it is what I would call 'purchase-worthy'.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. John, what's the problem? (#24)
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
I checked out the album after you submitted one of the tracks to me just this last roulette.  Very enjoyable.  It'll be a keeper (at least on Spotify).  Not sure it is what I would call 'purchase-worthy'.

You really have to be in the mood for it. I'm glad you checked it out, that's all I can ask for!

Very curious about your opinion now.

Wolverine was at ProgPower USA a while back and their regular set was awesome.  Their singer was pretty much dead on and it was an intense set.  Then the next day they did an acoustic set and it was incredible.  Really incredible.  They told some stories about some of the songs and it was a really cool experience.  Communication Lost was the most recent album at the time.  It's my favorite of theirs too.

Would've loved to see them live, preferably performing this album in its entirety. :biggrin:

I'm going to just fire up the next update now. Got to keep the pace, and more discussion material is always good.

Mirage: A Portrayal of Figures
Flaming Row
Genre: progressive metal
Recommended to me by: jingle.boy or lonestar, who knows by now

That’s right, not Elinoire, but this one. And yes, I easily admit the concept in Elinoire is miles and miles better and this one, but in terms of the music, this is what I came to think as the core Flaming Row sound.

At this point, it should be obvious I’m a big fan of this record, with how often I use it in roulettes. And, well, even if you don’t follow roulettes, knowing that I’m a huge fan of Ayreon could lead you to that conclusion. This is another project featuring a lot of musicians, both in the instrumental and vocal department, that involves sci-fi concepts, different characters, unusual instruments and complex plots in the albums. Oh, and also the main protagonist of this one is named John. You know, I'm going to feature it in the title when I get to post this one.

This album, along with Elinoire, is once again quite popular on DTF while I haven’t seen a lot of mentions of it elsewhere. There are even a few names of our fellow DTFers in the booklet—the first couple of people, I think perhaps a hundred or so, were mentioned there as a sign of gratitude and acknowledgement.

For me, this album easily could’ve been in the Top 10 here if it kept the same quality the first three tracks set. A brilliant and somewhat underappreciated epic followed by a beautiful celtic ballad followed by a bombastic progressive metal song, the opening three songs blew me away when I was listening to them the first time and still continue to impress me after these four years. Unfortunately, it loses a bit of steam after that, and while Pictures and the closing epic boost the quality back, this gap—and mind you, it simply degrades to “good” after “hell yes this is fantastic give me more”—is what stops me from praising this album for another thousand words.

Somehow I remember reading that this was supposed a trilogy of albums, with Mirage – A Portrayal of Figures being the first one. And, just like with Patrick Rothfuss, I remember reading that the whole trilogy was already written. And I actually think I mentioned this already on DTF, and either Chad or RJ responded with some reason why the second part hasn’t seen the light of day yet. I’ll be damned if I can remember what this reason was, though. Give me the Part 2 any day, and this time it’ll be my name in the booklet—I’m ready to pre-order the hell out of it.

Favourite songs: Mirage – A Portrayal of Figures, Part 1 (YouTube, Spotify), Aim L45 (YouTube, Spotify), Burning Sky (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. John, what's the problem? (#24)
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
hashtag john
pt. 2 is better than pt 1. though

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
Elinoire is god tier for me, so there's that.  It was #1 in my Top 50v2 - which held the same premise as this top 50 ... only albums introduced to me by/through DTF.  Thanks to Nick for the recc'n to Flaming Row.

My problem with this album is that the story is even more cryptic than Elinoire, and that many of the singers play multiple characters, AND in a few instances, a single character is voiced by different singer.  So it's like... Maggie... which character is she singing now?  Or... why is it Kiri singing the role of Piper now?  (I'm just making those examples up, because I forget the specific instances where these things occurred).

Regardless, Aim L-45 is brilliant, as is Pictures.

As for the lack of parts 2 and 3... I believe it has to do with a falling out between Martin Kiri (perhaps also connected to Martin and Melanie's relationship??).  I think there was something between Martin and Kiri, and that fell apart.  Since they were the guts of FR, no Kiri means no FR.  I believe she was the primary lyricist too.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »

You really have to be in the mood for it. I'm glad you checked it out, that's all I can ask for!
Nah... he's just wrong if he doesn't consider it purchase worthy... :P

Would've loved to see them live, preferably performing this album in its entirety. :biggrin:

They only did a couple from it on the electric set if I remember correctly, but maybe 5 or 6 at the acoustic set.  It was a lively set too - that may sound weird, and it's hard to describe, but this set was pretty much perfect.  It wasn't this group of dour people playing up there.  There was a lot of energy despite how dark their music can be.  They said that the promoter called it "slit your wrist metal."   :lol   So it was emotional, intense - someone brought a box of tissues even - but it was also positive and people were smiling too. 

Just finished listening to Communication Lost for the first time in a while - I'm glad it came up in this thread. :)  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
That cat is beautiful.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
I liked that Wolverine album but agree with Chad that it isn't necessarily purchase-worthy. Flaming Row on the other hand was, but while I enjoy those albums I'm not head over heels about the band like some of you are, both albums are a bit of a mixed bag for me quality wise, and the second is definitely a couple of steps down overall from Elinoire.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
Elinoire is god tier for me, so there's that.  It was #1 in my Top 50v2 - which held the same premise as this top 50 ... only albums introduced to me by/through DTF.  Thanks to Nick for the recc'n to Flaming Row.

My problem with this album is that the story is even more cryptic than Elinoire, and that many of the singers play multiple characters, AND in a few instances, a single character is voiced by different singer.  So it's like... Maggie... which character is she singing now?  Or... why is it Kiri singing the role of Piper now?  (I'm just making those examples up, because I forget the specific instances where these things occurred).

As for the lack of parts 2 and 3... I believe it has to do with a falling out between Martin Kiri (perhaps also connected to Martin and Melanie's relationship??).  I think there was something between Martin and Kiri, and that fell apart.  Since they were the guts of FR, no Kiri means no FR.  I believe she was the primary lyricist too.

My name is in the liner notes on that album if memory serves correct and the CD is still around somewhere not even opened yet  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

There is a facebook quote that says that Flaming Row will continue, Kiri will be replaced by Melanie, and the 3rd record will be something new.

Here we are again after a longer time. Melli and I are a couple for nearly 5 years now. It is the greatest thing for me making music with her. For a few years we write songs together and we play about 80 concerts the year.

So why shouldn't this work in Flaming Row, too? I am very happy that she really enjoys working on the story and lyrics for the upcoming album. We decided to create something new, lyrically. We'll keep you informed about album number 3! So let us welcome Melanie in the Flaming Row Family.

That post is about half a year old, nothing new since then.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2018, 02:51:07 AM »
Death is Just a Feeling
Amadeus Awad
Genre: progressive rock / progressive metal

Favourite songs: Sleep Paralysis (YouTube, Spotify), Tomorrow Lies (YouTube, Spotify), Lonesome Clown (YouTube, Spotify)
Just wanted to say I know this album as well, and especially Lonesome Clown is wonderful. The soft part after the chorus is so hauntingly beautiful, I can almost remember it all by heart: "In your mind, I'm a beast too wild to tame and you cry when the wind calls out my name"... that section is sooo beautiful!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2018, 04:05:06 AM »

Communication Lost is awesome and the title track is one of my favorite songs of all time. Also check out 'Window Purpose' from this band.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2018, 05:14:51 AM »

My name is in the liner notes on that album if memory serves correct and the CD is still around somewhere not even opened yet  ::)

What for?  Just for being a badass?