Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30606 times)

Offline senecadawg2

it falls in the category “I love this, and I wish I knew more albums like this”.

This album immediately reminds me of Loreena McKennit's album The Mask and Mirror. Have you ever heard her before?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. In the footsteps of the anthems (#46)
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »
Thrice: Got them in a roulette from Parama or Elite if I recall. Wasn't dreadful.
No, it was me! I sent the song Beggars and remember very well because it (almost?) got me a black star. :lol
I went back and checked, you did get that star. :lol I was only half wrong though, I did get Thrice from Elite as well (Daedalus) in my first roulette.

Muna
:metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Lanterns will glow all night (#44)
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2018, 01:36:24 PM »
Not an album I listen to much these days, since I've kinda burned it, but it's still a wonderful listen when I do. I'm glad you love it, and I agree about the artwork. By the way, her first album Anar is not as consistent and delicate as Muna but still a nice listen if you haven't given it a chance  :D

I'll keep that in mind. :tup

This album immediately reminds me of Loreena McKennit's album The Mask and Mirror. Have you ever heard her before?

I've heard the name before, but I don't think I've heard any of her music. I think I'll check this out pretty soon, perhaps even tomorrow.

Time for the next update! Only one today, unfortunately, but I'll try and pick up the pace for the next few days.

The Observer
Artificial Language
Genre: progressive metal
Recommended to me by: Train of Naught

I think—and I don’t remember exactly without looking up the whole list, which I won’t do now—this must be the most recent album on the whole list. And pretty much anyone who have heard this album can probably remember its reception on DTF a year ago, which was pretty polarizing, with some folks (looking at Mr. ‘Dead side-villain in my D&D campaign’ Esteban a.k.a. Train of Naught) thinking it’s the best thing since sliced bread, and some folks (looking at Mr. ‘Hey, I sent some shit in this roulette and I’ll probably lose, oh look, I won’ Parama) thought it was the worst thing since people who don’t put their cart back in the corral.

I’m in neither of these camps, but I’m leaning towards people who thought this album was pretty good if not great. See, for its considerably short length, it sure does pack a lot of action into eleven songs, most of which aren’t even over four minutes with one notable exception of the album closer, Turn Off the Pictures. Every song on this album has so much going on both in the instrumental department and in the vocal melodies department, and while the craziness of vocal melodies doesn’t reach Tommy Karevik on Seventh Wonder, I just have to appreciate their impressive (for me as a non-musician) structure. You can see the guitar player has a lot of fun throughout the album with all the stuff he does, and the unconventional song structures are prevailing here, with different sections sticking out here and there, surprising the listener all the while. At times this album feels like power metal, at times it takes the progressive mantle on, and sometimes you can hear the death metal influences in the instrumentation, like on Dirty Hands.

The only thing that keeps this album climbing even higher in my list is the noticeable dip in quality in the middle, from The Silver Cord to Playing the River. It’s not that this particular run of songs is not good, it’s just it doesn’t quite stand up to the tremendous quality of the rest of the material. But even with that inconsistency, the whole record is so adventurous, lively and chaotic. I can’t help but admire the sheer energy emanating from the songs—when The Grand Skeptic kicks in, I feel energized enough for the whole working day.

Favourite songs: These Aren’t Mirages (YouTube, Spotify), Fortune Teller (YouTube, Spotify)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:42:50 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Lanterns will glow all night (#44)
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
5.5/10

I dunno, just not at all into that style of prog  :lol I listened to it through a few times and there were some solid tracks but it mostly bored or annoyed me

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
5.5/10

I dunno, just not at all into that style of prog  :lol I listened to it through a few times and there were some solid tracks but it mostly bored or annoyed me

That's the reason you've got a shoutout in the actual writeup. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
I mean I've heard plenty worse too  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
Color me intrigued.  I'll give it a shot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »

I love to exaggerate facts in my writeups, makes them sound more dramatic.

I thought it might be up Kade's alley, especially since he's a guitar player and there's a lot of fun stuff in the guitar department. I think I sent him The Grand Skeptic in his roulette. Nope, that song tanked. :lol

I'd say maybe check out the two recommended tracks, it's a pretty good representation of what this album is about.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
Best Song of the Roulette!!! 3/10

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
Yea I think this album is pretty great and is up there with Native Construct when it comes to 'impressive debuts that DTF go gaga over'

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
On that note, I expect native construct to show up in the top 10 here  :corn :corn :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
On that note, I expect native construct to show up in the top 10 here  :corn :corn :corn

Plot twist.

Native Construct IS the top 10  :corn :corn :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Name the aspect of oblivion (#43)
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2018, 04:58:02 AM »
Yea I think this album is pretty great and is up there with Native Construct when it comes to 'impressive debuts that DTF go gaga over'

Except Native Construct sucks, in my opinion. :biggrin:

Let's get another growls-filled album out of the way, shall we? Classic metal crowd, don't worry, good stuff is coming in a few updates too.

Stone’s Reach
Be’lakor
Genre: melodic death metal
Recommended to me by: death metal DTF crowd, probably Luoto

When I realized that I am, in fact, able to like growls, it was like I stepped on a crooked path which required a serious amount of introspection and evaluation of my musical tastes. Obviously, the basic requirements of the production not sounding like you’ve recorded the whole thing on your train commute to work and the singer not sounding like, you know, he was smoking six cigarettes at a time for the past few years were set in stone, but when you get that kind of records out of the way, there’s still so much variety on both death and black metal scenes. What did I actually like? A lot of growls sounded the same to me, so in the end, I suppose it came down to the instrumental aspect of the music.

I quickly discovered that I liked the acoustic, or at least, quiet sections with clean electric guitars, providing contrast to the all-out I’m-puckering-my-glands-out growl-infused moments. I’m sure if you asked my neighbours, they would tell you the same thing. And this album plays on this contrast a lot, just like Opeth did in their black metal days. There are a lot of guitar-driven and bass-driven passages, which, in turn, give way to the singer growling the shit out of his voice. The transitions are seamless and the songs feel cohesive, up to the point the whole album feels as a single piece of work.

The album is very consistent in its sound, never straying away too much from the mood it initially sets up, and while it could be a turn-off for some folks, I like how, for a lack of better word, stable it is. It’s the kind of death metal that appeals to me, and the whole package doesn’t suddenly go off the rails for the sake of progressiveness, but instead stays on the path laid down in the very first minutes. While sometimes it results in a stagnant and dull record, this album executes the chosen mood perfectly, and it’s always a pleasant listen for me whenever I’m ready for a journey down the death metal road.

Favourite songs: Venator (YouTube, Spotify), Sun’s Delusion (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Name the aspect of oblivion (#43)
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2018, 05:00:14 AM »
Let's get another growls-filled album out of the way, shall we?

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2018, 05:05:14 AM »
I've heard Vessels and I believe it wasn't bad. I need to revisit and go back through the discography some time.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »
Let's get another growls-filled album out of the way, shall we?

It'll get into more familiar territory for you once we're past the first 10 or 12 entries I think. :tup

I've heard Vessels and I believe it wasn't bad. I need to revisit and go back through the discography some time.

Not a big fan of Vessels, but a big fan of this particular album. Of Breath and Bone is also pretty good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
i've tried listening to this one several times and it's like the pinnacle of "sounds completely fine but bores the hell out of me" metal. not bad or anything & i totally get why people like it i just need something with more... flavor

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
Nothing I'm too familiar with yet, though Bent Knee did impress me live, so I'll be checking them out, and Ne Obliviscaris has been on my list for a while.

The Artificial Language album sounds promising as well.

Now that I'm caught up, following...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Steer your way through the pain (#42)
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »
Nothing I'm too familiar with yet, though Bent Knee did impress me live, so I'll be checking them out, and Ne Obliviscaris has been on my list for a while.

The Artificial Language album sounds promising as well.

Now that I'm caught up, following...

In fact, Artificial Language might be up your alley, you've been known to enjoy different crazy prog metal groups. And there are a few albums you got me into on this list... they're just higher up. Glad to have you on board. :tup

i've tried listening to this one several times and it's like the pinnacle of "sounds completely fine but bores the hell out of me" metal. not bad or anything & i totally get why people like it i just need something with more... flavor

Apparently I'm into safe death metal if that makes sense. :lol

Let's do another one today, I've got to finish this before Christmas after all! We're getting to the end of this weird streak of albums, too.

You Want It Darker
Leonard Cohen
Genre: singer-songwriter music
Recommended to me by: Tomislav

I suppose there is a debate somewhere around the Internet about how the singers should actually sing their lines in the songs—possibly related to the whole hip-hop genre and rap technique—not simply recite them while the music plays in the background. I suppose in some cases I would even agree with that, depending on what act we’re talking about. But in some cases, perhaps when you have a voice smooth as honey, like Mark Knopfler, or perhaps a voice that’s deliciously gritty and dark and fitting to the album’s theme of leaving this world, like Leonard Cohen has on this beautiful, beautiful record… well, you get a pass in these cases, as the result is usually a tremendous work of art.

There is no metal on this album. Hell, it’s barely even rock. It actually isn’t rock at all. It’s mostly a relaxing music with the haunting, rough voice half-singing and half-saying the lyrics over it. And yet, in this case, less is more. Somehow this record manages to convey a wide array of emotions with simple strokes of genius in each song. Somehow this record manages to get past the emotional barriers and speak directly to my soul, as pretentious as it sounds. Somehow it makes it just so easy to get lost in this music, stripped down to the bare bones. Somehow it became something I didn’t even know I needed.

Naturally, the last albums released by a famous person on the music scene get the boost in sales after their death. I readily admit that if it wasn’t for Mr. Cohen’s death, it’s highly unlikely I would’ve even heard about this record, or at least I probably wouldn’t have given it a chance. While Tomislav got me into this album by playing a title track from it on plug.dj, I probably wouldn’t have bought this record based on that song alone. Records like You Want It Darker or Blackstar got a lot of attention—and based on the strength of music, this attention is definitely well-deserved—yet still it makes me sad that if David and Leonard were still with us, I probably wouldn’t have even heard a single note from both of these fabulous albums. To be honest, I’m not sure what point I was making here. Appreciate your musical heroes and go see them performing live while you still got this chance, I guess. Don’t wait for them to pass away to start enjoying their music. Perhaps just make a cup of tea tonight or whatever your hot drink of choice for the winter evenings is, and just sit down for a few minutes, and play these two songs below, and see if this album is perhaps something you never knew you needed, too. And if not, well, put on something that you love, and just enjoy this beautiful evening.

You know what’s the one good thing that comes out of having your own thread about your favourite albums? You can ramble about whatever you want in here, and no one can forbid you to do it.

Favourite songs: Traveling Light (YouTube, Spotify), Steer Your Way (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. What shall remain to tell our tale? (#41)
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2018, 03:11:48 AM »
No one? Well, that's your loss, this album is great, in my opinion.

Moving on!

Grimspound
Big Big Train
Genre: progressive rock
Recommended to me by: The Letter M, Fritzinger and RoeDent

You know that the band’s output is extremely consistent when you’re not sure which album to feature in your Top 50 list because you like everything you’ve heard from them, yet you don’t want to take up more than one spot in the list. English Electric, Folklore or Grimspound, Big Big Train deliver a sophisticated yet accessible progressive rock that makes me happy even on my worst days. Before the three gentlemen highlighted above start screaming at me for not checking out The Second Brightest Star and The Underfall Yard and whatnot, calm down folks, I only have so many hours I can dedicate to discovering new music.

Why have I picked Grimspound for this list, especially considering how recent it is? Well, this record started my journey into Big Big Train’s discography, and honestly, I think it may be my favourite record from them so far. I can’t believe these songs were leftovers from Folklore (the album they released in 2016)—half of them are better than anything on Folklore! With one exception of Experimental Gentlemen, this record has everything I love in progressive rock: longer songs with extended instrumental sections, laced with violins, cellos and flutes in addition to the usual musical instruments; shorter folk-inspired numbers, soaring vocal melodies, you name it. While I like the other album’s opening tracks, Brave Captain really showcases all the best sides of the band, and this song alone was enough to hook me in. As the album continued to unveil its details, I was just transfixed by how well-crafted it is.

With this and some other records I had the honor of discovering, like, you know, The Road of Bones by IQ, I’m honestly baffled by how I apparently don’t know anything about modern progressive rock. There are bands out there that consistently churn out the records full of fantastic songs, and only in the recent few years I began finding them. Remember how my first Top 50 was filled with metal records with almost no progressive rock there? Probably not, but still, this time it’s going to be a least a bit different.

Favourite songs: Brave Captain (YouTube, Spotify), The Ivy Gate (YouTube), Spotify)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2018, 03:25:00 AM »

I love to exaggerate facts in my writeups, makes them sound more dramatic.

I thought it might be up Kade's alley, especially since he's a guitar player and there's a lot of fun stuff in the guitar department. I think I sent him The Grand Skeptic in his roulette. Nope, that song tanked. :lol

I'd say maybe check out the two recommended tracks, it's a pretty good representation of what this album is about.

Yeah, listening again now, the instrumentation is impressive but it has that modern Muse type feel which I don't care for.  Didn't like the singer or the melodies.

Now Belakor are an amazing band.  Everything they have done is incredible.  I'd probably lean towards Vessels as my fav but that was the first album from them I discovered so that would have a lot to do with it.  Stone's Reach is on par with Breath.  I'm not sure which one I'd prefer but both are amazing.  Countless Skies is one amazing song.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

I'm aware of the last three but never listened to them. They have been added to my huge Spotify playlist of albums to check out  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2018, 04:00:27 AM »
Yeah, listening again now, the instrumentation is impressive but it has that modern Muse type feel which I don't care for.  Didn't like the singer or the melodies.

Tastes! I shot and I missed, no hard feelings about this. I don't like Muse but somehow this album works for me.

Now Belakor are an amazing band.  Everything they have done is incredible.  I'd probably lean towards Vessels as my fav but that was the first album from them I discovered so that would have a lot to do with it.  Stone's Reach is on par with Breath.  I'm not sure which one I'd prefer but both are amazing.  Countless Skies is one amazing song.

You know the song is amazing when there's an actual band named after it.

I'm aware of the last three but never listened to them. They have been added to my huge Spotify playlist of albums to check out  :metal

I thought you, of all people, would know Be'lakor, but then I tend to confuse you and Luoto a lot, so there's that. I think you'll like it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm more partial to the English Electric albums myself, but all of Big Big Train's recent output is quality.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I think someone gave me BBT in a roulette, and I really enjoyed the track.  Upon checking out the album, iirc I was rather underwhelmed.

:dunno:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
That was me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2018, 05:03:37 AM »
I thought you, of all people, would know Be'lakor, but then I tend to confuse you and Luoto a lot, so there's that. I think you'll like it.

Should I be offended? I feel offended...   :lol

But yea, I have been meaning to check out this band for at least the last year
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:20:56 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
twosuitsluoto
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i got both english electric albums when they came out (they were pretty popular at the time iirc) and they're both... pretty solid. the style isn't one that super appeals much to me though & the other albums I've checked out from them didn't do much for me  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Forgot to comment on that Leonard Cohen, looks cool, will eventually give it a listen  :tup
I know some Big Big Train songs, and they've all been pretty nice, but nothing to prompt me to listen to the band more.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:43 AM »
Stone’s Reach
Listening to Vessels for the second time and then this for the first afterwards, and I think you're right, Stone's Reach is the much stronger album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2018, 03:42:26 AM »
Stone’s Reach
Listening to Vessels for the second time and then this for the first afterwards, and I think you're right, Stone's Reach is the much stronger album.

This gives me a good reason to listen to it again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Wait, late to the party but please let me give some love to that Cohen album, a beautiful swan song from the greatest artisan of poetry in music. Yes, even greater than the Nobel Prize winner imo.

Also, technically, harsh vocals I can dig  :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Night is falling over my home (#40)
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »

Should I be offended? I feel offended...   :lol

You're welcome. :lol

Good to see some discussion going! Let's do the next one, where I again ramble about things unrelated to the music.

Time I
Wintersun
Genre: melodic symphonic power viking death metal
Recommended to me by: frequent mentions on DTF

Wintersun is the Patrick Rothfuss of the metal scene. For readers who either aren’t fans of fantasy or simply don’t follow what’s going on in fantasy publishing scene for the last, holy shit, almost 12 years now, Patrick Rothfuss is a bestselling author of The Kingkiller Chronicle, a complex and intricate would-be trilogy of books. The first book, The Name of the Wind, was released in 2007, and Patrick said the whole trilogy was already written, so the fans wouldn’t need to wait a long time for the rest of the trilogy to be released. The second book, The Wise Man’s Fear, was released in 2011. The third book, The Doors of Stone, is still in the making, and there are no news about it—Patrick released some of the short stories during that time, and participated in other projects—but the release date for The Doors of Stone is still unknown. And while there are lots of disappointment and vitriol over the Internet about it, if/when the third book comes out, a lot of people will still buy it without a second thought—because the general consensus is that the first two books are just so good. Well, I know I will buy it.

Fans of Wintersun, does that sound familiar somehow? Time goes way back to 2006, when it was first scheduled to be released, and with lots of delays, it was finally out in 2012, with the premise that they had to split the album in two halves—so was the Time I released. The information was that, well, the second half was already written, and will see the light of day later in 2013 or 2014.

We’re approaching 2019 now, and the band has released another record called The Forest Seasons, but the release date for Time II is still unknown. But Time I is just so freaking great, I’m sure whenever the second half comes out, most of the fans will rush to the stores, or to the pre-order sites, and will buy the hell out of that record. Well, I know I will buy it.

But let’s talk about the record itself for a bit. For its short length—the whole thing is around 40 minutes—it sure packs a lot of details into the songs. There is always a number of things going on at any given moment, and the amount of tracks mixed together here adds to the grandeur of this record. Every song here sounds so exuberant and grandiose, every riff is elevated by the orchestral sounds in the back ground, and the whole package is just epic beyond belief. The album basically features only three full-blown songs, but it’s still a magnificent experience.

Favourite songs: Sons of Winter and Stars (YouTube, Spotify), Land of Snow and Sorrow (YouTube, Spotify)