Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30611 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Woke up to a brand new skyline (#49)
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
Liked Vheissu quite a bit, need to get into The Alchemy Index one day  :corn .

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »

Sorry for not delivering two updates today, I had some health issues and ended up coming home way later then I intended. Hopefully nothing serious will come out of it, we'll see.

This stopped me dead in my tracks.  Hope all is well, comrade.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »

Sorry for not delivering two updates today, I had some health issues and ended up coming home way later then I intended. Hopefully nothing serious will come out of it, we'll see.

Oh yeah. Completely missed that. Hope you're alright dude.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »
It's not my favourite Thrice album, personally, but it's up there and a worthy addition to any top 50  :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 05:04:18 PM »
Thoughts and prayers to you Ruslan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »

Yikes, yeah. I really hope everything is okay, Ev!

Actually I guess The Flame Deluge is awesome too but neither of you would like that one :P

I really like The Flame Deluge.

Didn't expect that, did you?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. This world is tearing me apart (#48)
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 05:10:32 AM »
Thank you for your concern, folks, it means a great deal, seriously. The issue is nothing too serious, although I was so tired yesterday that I just posted that and went to sleep, and it ended up sounding pretty grave. :) Should've probably explained that right away. I've been sick with hell of a tonsillitis for the previous two weeks, and it still hasn't passed. Yesterday I felt like shit so they drove me to a hospital and ran a couple of tests to see if there are any complications because of the sickness, and to determine if they should let me go home or admit me in. It took quite a long time, and apparently they didn't find anything too concerning—yet—so I'm told to stay home this week and see if my condition gets any better or worse.

Which means I have some time to answer the rest of this and post a new album!

Fire/Water is a tough one, because I really like Water, yet I'm not into the heavier aspect of Fire. I sent Firebreather to Indiscipline only because the requirement was to send different songs, although I admit, that riff in the beginning is badass.

I was intending to go and explore Thrice more, but whenever I was tempted to check out their latest album, I think I've always found a post or two about how their new material wasn't very good, so I never got to that. So as far as this band goes, I only know Alchemy Index and Beggars. One day I'll listen to some other albums. This is also one of the patterns with this list, the deeper we go, the more I'm familiar with the bands' output.

With this next update, it's important to remember that I love Roy Khan's era of Kamelot, and bands like Delain and Serious Black made it as far in the honourable mentions. On a somewhat related note, I just found out today that Delain is playing here next February. I'll need to grab the tickets as soon as I get well. Anyway...

Fragments of Creation
Sunburst
Genre: progressive power metal
Recommended to me by: Big Hath

As I gradually discovered more and more bands in progressive metal genre, it became more and more obvious to me that while the band’s songwriting might be of the highest quality, if their singer’s voice doesn’t appeal to me, there’s almost no chance I will dig deeper into the band’s discography. Coheed and Cambria is a prime example of that: I have one album, which I mentioned earlier here, and I have no intention to get any more records from them—well, maybe now that I've got some recommendations here in this thread, I'll reconsider that. Of course, the band could have a Ronnie James Dio reborn and yet fail to deliver in the songwriting department, and then my interest wouldn’t be piqued, either. Solo works by Jorn Lande are the prime example of that scenario. However, if your band excels in either of these departments, then some flaws in the opposite department could be forgiven, like on Fragments of Creation.

Is the songwriting here exceptional? No, not at all, but it’s just good enough to make it work. It’s the singer’s voice that makes the album for me, and between all the projects he’s on—Sunburst, Black Fate, The Chronicles Project—this one is the one that appeals to me the most. It’s not even that unique of a voice, but it strongly reminds me of Roy Khan on his peak, singing his heart out on three Kamelot albums that appeared on my first Top 50 list. And man, apparently I’m a sucker for a voice like that.

That isn’t to say that the Vasilis’ voice is the only positive thing on Fragments of Creation, it’s just the thing that stands out the most for me. But no, there are enough of fantastic ideas to fill the album, and while some songs might seem formulaic, and some ideas perhaps not fully developed, and while the album closer, Remedy of My Heart, may heavily remind you of Kamelot’s Memento Mori, it’s still a fabulous listen, as far as I’m concerned.

Favourite songs: Lullaby (YouTube, Spotify), Remedy of My Heart (YouTube, Spotify)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:45:32 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. This world is tearing me apart (#48)
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:31 AM »
It's funny... I absolutely adore Vasilis' voice, but ironically, it's the instrumental track (Beyond the Darkest Sun) that I enjoy most on the album. 

Good pick Ruslan.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
I only know Remedy of My Heart, but that's an amazing song. I might give the whole album a spin.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »
I only know Remedy of My Heart, but that's an amazing song. I might give the whole album a spin.

Do it.... I think it's up your alley.  Some heavy-af guitar riffing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »
Glad to hear it's nothing too serious with your health dude  :tup

I downloaded this album after you played Remedy of My Heart in a plug.dj session. It's not an album I revisit that often but it is definitely a keeper  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Countless promises turn into lies (#47)
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
It's funny... I absolutely adore Vasilis' voice, but ironically, it's the instrumental track (Beyond the Darkest Sun) that I enjoy most on the album. 

I'm not a big fan of instrumentals these days, it seems.

Do it.... I think it's up your alley.  Some heavy-af guitar riffing.

It's definitely pretty heavy in that department. If I remember correctly, that was what turned me off at first when I've heard Out of the World (the opening track).

With the next update we're hitting a string of albums that don't have a lot to do with power or progressive metal, but don't worry, there's plenty of that as we go deeper into the list. For now, though, here's the second update for the day.

Shiny Eyed Babies
Bent Knee
Genre: indie rock, art rock
Recommended to me by: Tyrias

This album must be one of the biggest growers in my list, together with the records occupying the 12th and 35th place in this Top 50. And it’s not that I didn’t like the album from the first listen—I did like some of it, but overall, I was underwhelmed. For all the praise this album seemed to receive on DTF, this seemed like a pretty mediocre effort.

Come the next day, I wanted to spin this album agaim.

I don’t know what was it about Shiny Eyed Babies that made this record so attractive for me, but on my second spin I discovered more interesting details in each song, and with subsequent listens more and more moments stood out, and the songs began to click with me. This album appears to be difficult to grasp from the first listen, which I suppose has something to do with the song structures. I don’t think even one song has a conventional verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. Hell, half of the songs don’t even have a chorus. And yet, not counting some really crazy numbers, when you become familiar with most of the songs on this record, this album turns out to be a very rewarding experience.

Still, there are pretty much no similar songs on this record. Each song has its own identity, and shows it in a bold, brazen way, be that the plodding opening riff of Way Too Long, a chilling operatic final of I’m Still Here or all-out, intense chorus of Battle Creek, each song has its distinct moment you can recognize it by. Not every song here is up my alley, the main offender being a cover of Sunshine, which actually brings me to another point: why would you include a cover on such an album? Not only it doesn’t fit here at all, in my opinion, but you have an hour of material ranging from good to great with its unique flavour, and you decide to dilute it with a cover song? I honestly prefer to think it doesn’t exist.

That being said, the run of songs from In God We Trust to Battle Creek is spectacular.

Favourite songs: I’m Still Here (YouTube, Spotify), Battle Creek (YouTube, Spotify)

Online twosuitsluke

Another great album and easily my fave by Bent Knee! I'm 4/4 so far and three of these I discovered via DTF as well (I'd already heard Terria). Really, this album is just quirky and beautiful  :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The only bent knee album I've heard that I like, but then I love it  :lol
It's definitely a grower, I found it kinda meh at first but I ended up liking or loving pretty much every song in the end

Online twosuitsluke

Also, whilst we're talking Bent Knee, their cover of Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zep is just  :hefdaddy

Since I've Been Loving You

For all the fogeys that need a gateway into this band.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I sometimes feel like I'm the only one to slightly prefer Say So.

Don't get me wrong, Shiny Eyed Babies is amazing, but I think Say So works better as a full album, has a better flow and is more consistent throughout. Yeah, nothing's as good as Battle Creek, but there's also nothing as bland as Sunshine. And it does have some killer tracks in Counselor, Nakami and Good Girl.

Anyway, not a band I expected to find on this list, but a damn good one. Glad to see you getting more into the non-prog stuff in recent times. :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I really like Sunshine  :lol prob cuz I didn't realise it was a cover until some time later. Great albums anyways  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully the tonsillitis clears up mate.

The Sunburst is one that has all elements I like but it I thought it was just solid.  Probably needs another listen.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. In the footsteps of the anthems (#46)
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »
It's definitely a grower, I found it kinda meh at first but I ended up liking or loving pretty much every song in the end

The only ones I don't like are Dry and Sunshine.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one to slightly prefer Say So.

Don't get me wrong, Shiny Eyed Babies is amazing, but I think Say So works better as a full album, has a better flow and is more consistent throughout. Yeah, nothing's as good as Battle Creek, but there's also nothing as bland as Sunshine. And it does have some killer tracks in Counselor, Nakami and Good Girl.

Anyway, not a band I expected to find on this list, but a damn good one. Glad to see you getting more into the non-prog stuff in recent times. :tup

I like the first three tracks on Say So, and then it loses me. Perhaps I should try again. Regarding the unexpected acts on this list, that was something that surprised me as well, but in the end I'm happy with how diverse it ended up being, at least with the first ~10 entries.

Hopefully the tonsillitis clears up mate.

The Sunburst is one that has all elements I like but it I thought it was just solid.  Probably needs another listen.

:tup Should be right your alley actually, but you never know.

I really like Sunshine  :lol prob cuz I didn't realise it was a cover until some time later. Great albums anyways  :metal

Well it's such an abysmal cover, no wonder you didn't realize that. :neverusethis: Are there any songs this album you don't like?

Another great album and easily my fave by Bent Knee! I'm 4/4 so far and three of these I discovered via DTF as well (I'd already heard Terria). Really, this album is just quirky and beautiful  :heart

This next update will probably make it 5/5. Speaking of which...

Portal of I
Ne Obliviscaris
Genre: progressive black metal
Recommended to me by: people sending Forget Not in roulettes

Well, if there is one thing that changed about my tastes compared to 2015, it’s that my tolerance for growls went way higher. Not only can I listen to the growl-fronted songs and albums with a straight face now and then not have a headache, but I’ve found that I actually like some of those albums. Crazy, right? The next roulette is going to be a fun ride.

What makes this particular album and band to stand out of the murky swamp of mediocre black metal bands that sound like they recorded their albums in a barn mouldering away deep in the woods with three woolen blankets thrown over the recording mic while their singer is recovering from a violent cold and two weeks of moonshine drinking? Well, first off, the production here is crystal clear, and second, they have a violin incorporated into their music, which, apparently, became their trademark sound now. Of course, you can instantly tell it’s an electric violin, and it doesn’t sound as authentic as your Stradivari violin—or even just a usual violin—but it sure as hell adds an authentic touch to their sound. The songs are written with violin melodies incorporated into it, instead of doing what a lot of bands are guilty of, namely writing a song and allocating some space for whatever alien instrument (read: flute, sax, violin, viola, whatever’s not a guitar, drums and keys) to perform a solo section.

Not only that, but the songs on this record are allowed to sprawl and breathe, and the transitions between sections mostly feel organic, not forced. With six songs over nine minutes long, this is something that helps the album tremendously, adding to the cohesiveness and drawing the listener in. Even the growls are only jarring during the first few minutes, and then, as you delve deeper into the album, they feel natural and expected, enhancing the music, not taking anything away from it. Whenever I feel like listening to black metal, this album is always on my list for consideration; and if this band will someday tour in my country, they’re high on my bucket list to see live.

Favourite songs: Forget Not (YouTube, Spotify), And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope (YouTube, Spotify)

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. In the footsteps of the anthems (#46)
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2018, 04:04:16 AM »
This next update will probably make it 5/5. Speaking of which...

Yep, we're 5/5  :corn

Recommended to me by: people sending Forget Not in roulettes

So yea, I pretty much discovered this band, and album, through the amount of praise Forget Not was getting. I liked it enough to check out the album but to this day, I don't think the song is that great. I've listened to all their albums and although I dig Portal of I, Citadel is my favourite of the bunch. For the sake of this thread I'll go back and give this album a listen as it's been quite a while since I have.

I have been lucky enough to see Ne Obliviscaris live (with Oceans of Slumber in support  :metal ) and although they were good they were a bit overshadowed by OoS on the night. Overall a good DTF discovery but one I found I have returned to less as I have discovered more bands that better suited my tastes.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 04:08:37 AM »
I've been casually following this but in response to what's been posted thus far:

Delain: A band obviously on my radar, they do okay stuff but I've never been amazed by them.
Bodies of Water: Got a song in my first roulette from this band, sent by Parama. I can't remember if I listened to the album or not though. :lol
Coheed and Cambria: Never been able to get into them outside maybe a song or two.
Ihsahn: Got this from Train I think, didn't mind it.
Serious Black: Very "solid".
Avatarium: Don't know it. Added on Spotify.
Devin: I like a bit of his stuff but most of his music just sounds too bland and similar to me. I do know that I have listened to Terria, but don't remember a single note of it.
Thrice: Got them in a roulette from Parama or Elite if I recall. Wasn't dreadful.
Sunburst: I don't think I've heard this but it might be in my wheelhouse. Added on Spotify.
Bent Knee: Really good album, got a song from Tyrias in a roulette once. I don't think they've ever made anything that lives up to it though (so far).
Ne Obliviscaris: I've tried to get into this album a few times but I remember it being quite repetitive and lacking variety for the mostpart. Forget Not is great though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 04:11:12 AM »
Now we're talking.  That Ne Obliviscarus is amazing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
Thrice: Got them in a roulette from Parama or Elite if I recall. Wasn't dreadful.
No, it was me! I sent the song Beggars and remember very well because it (almost?) got me a black star. :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
citadel is better but forget not is their best song so yeah

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
Evermind is getting nothing but some kind of blackened metal from me in his next roulette  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
Evermind is getting nothing but some kind of blackened metal from me in his next roulette  :)

Good idea - since these albums are all in the high 40s!  I'll wait until I see what's in the Top 10.   :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
Forget Not is pretty cool but I'm not really big on this album as a whole, too many blast beats and growls  :millahhhh

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:21 AM »
I hope you feel better soon, my man. The list is off to a great start: Coheed, Serious Black, Devin Townsend, Thrice, Bent Knee, and Ne Obliviscaris are all great. Seems like I may enjoy Sunburst as well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
Hell yeah Ne Obliviscaris. I think I also discovered them via DTF, haha. Great band, super consistent as well - Citadel is even better than Portal of I in my opinion, and Urn is at least PoI's equal. Forget Not is probably still their best song though. The way it builds is stunning.

I definitely recommend seeing them in person, they're tons of fun live - the outro of Blackholes might be my favourite concert moment ever, the way that bass riff just builds and builds is magical. I saw them an Oceans of Slumber open for Enslaved, and both of the openers ran circles around the main act.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:08:02 PM by Scorpion »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 12:08:24 PM »
oh fuck off auto-correct

Uh, I mean, what are you talking about?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. The life is grand in all its shapes (#45)
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
Me Obliviscaris

I'm crying

r/me_irl

Good idea - since these albums are all in the high 40s!  I'll wait until I see what's in the Top 10.   :biggrin:

Good call! It's definitely getting more into the prog/power rock/metal territory as we delve deeper.

Dave and Nelson, good to see you in this thread!

Forget Not is pretty cool but I'm not really big on this album as a whole, too many blast beats and growls  :millahhhh

I bet you're going to like this next one though.

Muna
Markéta Irglová
Genre: singer-songwriter music
Recommended to me by: Sacul

I realize you guys are probably thinking something along the lines of “holy shit, Sacul actually managed to score one album on that list”, and you won’t be wrong. Sacul and I are usually on the opposite sides of musical spectrum, but once in a blue moon our interests and tastes in music align somehow, and this is one of those rare occasions where he brought this beautiful little jewel into my life. Now that I’m remembering it, he still ended up being eliminated.

Singer-songwriter genre is weird for me, because two of my favourite musicians in the world, David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler are doing extraordinary job in their solo career so far—check out the latest Knopfler’s album, Down the Road Wherever. And their high quality albums—and in the case of Mark Knopfler, consistently released every two or three years—make me a little jaded. I expect every singer-songwriter project to live up to these two giants of the rock scene.

But, you know, not everyone can be Gilmour and Knopfler. And somehow it took me significantly more time than I care to admit to realize that. And while some singer-songwriter acts are still difficult for me to get into—musicians like David Gray or Kevin Gilbert, which were popular while Nelson still played roulettes—some of the stuff out there is perplexingly gorgeous. And I say perplexingly because, you know, it’s baffling to me how could I ignore that particular musical scene for so long.

Now, having written all that, I’m not even sure if this Markéta Irglová album is singer-songwriter project, or perhaps I should’ve classified it as something like chamber progressive pop-rock, like iamthemorning, a.k.a. the Russian band I recommend to everyone. Still, Muna is one of those albums that I often tend to overlook, only to return to it and marvel at its beauty as if I’m hearing it for the first time all over again. Like the Thrice album up above, it falls in the category “I love this, and I wish I knew more albums like this”.

And on a slightly related note, let me just say how much I adore the artwork for this record.

Favourite songs: The Leading Bird (YouTube, Spotify), Without a Map (YouTube, Spotify)

Offline senecadawg2

Sweet—listening now.

I really like the work Markéta does with Glen Hansard.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I listened to this a few times and it's nice enough but this kinda music rarely has much relisten value to me so I've never picked it up :(

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not an album I listen to much these days, since I've kinda burned it, but it's still a wonderful listen when I do. I'm glad you love it, and I agree about the artwork. By the way, her first album Anar is not as consistent and delicate as Muna but still a nice listen if you haven't given it a chance  :D