Author Topic: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)  (Read 30615 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
vector is the middle album it's #3

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
vector is the middle album it's #3
Where does Affinity fall for you?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i literally already gave my placement for all other haken albums in this thread so you can go figure it out. it's like a puzzle

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
i literally already gave my placement for all other haken albums in this thread so you can go figure it out. it's like a puzzle
Nah
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The true puzzle is how much love Haken gets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
unable to solve this puzzle box

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I've tried multiple times but I simply can't find a single thing about them that's appealing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)
« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2018, 02:17:24 AM »
Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld
Vanden Plas
Genre: progressive metal
2015 / 2016
Recommended to me by: obscure via her music magazine

Now, some of you may say I’m cheating again including two albums here, but I really just consider this a big concept double album of music, despite both discs having been released separately with a one-year gap. Furthermore, I didn’t discover this directly from DTF, but rather from Lady Obscure Music Magazine where we had a promo for Part 1 before release date, and everyone seemed to be raving about it. But since I’ve become part of the LOMM team because of DTF, I figured this particular record should be eligible for this list.

Another aspect of including both albums here is that I genuinely have a difficult time to tell which one I like more. Both feature excellent progressive metal songs, and both are extremely consistent in quality, but that could be said about the whole Vanden Plas discography, really. If I had to use one word to describe Vanden Plas’ music, I’d say they’re consistent. Of course, the production quality evolved over the years, and I’d say Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld features the best mix and production compared to other VP albums, and that obviously helps; but production alone doesn’t make the album. Combined with exceptionally strong songwriting, though, it elevates this magnificent record straight to the top of my list.

The singer, Andy Kuntz, is easily recognizable because of his peculiar accent and singing style; among all the albums on this list, this is easily the one with the most misheard lyrics for me, and I avoided looking at the booklets on purpose (although I suppose I’ll have to do it when I’ll post this, to find a suitable lyric for the thread title), so that I can sing out loud gems like "with your breeches down in my land of no return". However, the fact that I’m unable to understand what exactly Andy is singing doesn’t take away anything from this record. In any case, I suspect that the album’s concept is much closer to Avantasia than to Ayreon: the protagonist is trespassing the Netherworld, there are monsters, vampires (be ready for a lot of fire / empire / vampire rhymes), a Godmaker, some children of the Lost World (which apparently go away somewhere in the second part?), and that’s about it.

There was a part of me that was worried if they would be able to match the quality of Part 1, but if I had any doubts, they all were dispelled after I started listening to the record. In My Universe is such a powerful and epic opener, and the whole run from Misery Affection to Where Have the Children Gone is fantastic, with maybe Godmaker’s Temptation being the only not-so-stellar song in it. There’s a lot of headbang-worthy material, there are slower, majestic songs, there are touching ballads and there are recurring motifs throughout the entire album, some subtle, some not quite. This record is an excellent example of how to do a long concept progressive metal album right.

Favourite songs from Part 1: Vision 6ix: New Vampyre (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 8ight: Misery Affection (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 9ine: Soul Alliance (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 10n: Inside (YouTube, Spotify)

Favourite songs from Part 2: Vision 11even: In My Universe (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 13teen: Stone Roses Edge (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 15teen: Monster (YouTube, Spotify), Vision 17teen: Where Have the Children Gone (YouTube, Spotify)

And that’s it! Hope you enjoyed this and perhaps discovered a few albums from this list. After this I’m planning to do a third edition of my roulette, so be on lookout for that if you plan to participate.

Happy New Year everyone, and I’ll see you around DTF in 2019!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Evermind's v2 Top 50 Albums Thread v. Only once in a lifetime (#1)
« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2018, 02:34:31 AM »
That's easily my second favorite Vanden Plas album. Great album! And it really is just a double album. :hefdaddy
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2018, 05:04:08 AM »
For me, Part 1 is miles better than Part 2.  I was actually a little disappointed with Part 2 but I think that's only because Part 1 is so amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2018, 05:10:05 AM »
For me, Part 1 is miles better than Part 2.  I was actually a little disappointed with Part 2 but I think that's only because Part 1 is so amazing.

I'm kinda with Kade on this.  Part 2 was just a mild letdown for me - mostly because expectations were so high after Part 1.  Both of these were my AOTY for '14 and '15.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Part 3?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Saw Vandenplas opening for DT some time ago and they left me totally cold. Maybe I should give them another try.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
Haven't heard this particular VP album. Gonna try to spin tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
I didn't expect to see Vanden Plas at the top of the list
 Very cool. :) I don't listen to the chronicles as often as some of the others - not sure why, because I really enjoy them when I do listen.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #399 on: December 31, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
i have part 1 and it's..... fine. never got part 2 'cause i didn't like part 1 enough for it  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #400 on: December 31, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I need to give these two albums another listen.  I purchased a few VP albums and Christ0 is my favorite
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: December 31, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the list, Evermind! I really had a great time with this.

Those two Vanden Plas records are amazing! I'll be revisiting them frequently. Excellent choice for #1
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #402 on: December 31, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
Don't know a lot about VP, though I do own a couple of their albums. So many great albums on this list. I Am Anonymous  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #403 on: December 31, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »
These are not bad albums but I don't get too excited by either of them.