Author Topic: Christmas music / stuff like Trans Siberian Orchestra  (Read 6526 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Christmas music / stuff like Trans Siberian Orchestra
« on: November 25, 2018, 04:02:21 AM »
So, "the season's upon us" and it's time to get ready to rock and roll to some Christmas music!  :metal

I absolutely love Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I was wondering.... are they really unique in their kind or are there similar bands like them? sure, you can find an insane amount of christmas music that receives the rock / metal treatment, but TSO are unique because they have original music, and their rendition of classic songs is not overblown.

For example, I found out a band called A Hero for the World, which did TWO Christmas albums, called Winter is Coming and, wait for it, you guessed it, Winter is Here. It's not bad, but it's power metal to the extreme - all double bass and vocals way, way too high for the singer who sounds always strained. TSO are a little more laid back, even if they have distorted guitars and rock arrangements, and I was wondering if there's a band like TSO out there or are they really unique in their blend of original music and classics covers who are not parodies or too extreme in their metal renditions.

Feel free to turn this into a more generic "advice for Christmas music" thread anyway!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:39:06 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Christmas music / stuff Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:11:58 AM »
TSO is somewhat unique in terms of a metal band that borders on progressive, does bit, epic concept albums, regularly does "Christmas music," and had that blend of classics and original material that you mentioned.  I cannot think of any other band that really possesses all of those elements. 

To me, in terms of sound, Avantasia sort of comes close.  And while The Mystery of Time is not really "Christmas music," I have always associated it with winter and tend to play it a lot during the holidays. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
Peter Orullian (ex-Fifth Ange, ex-Heir Apparent) has a new project called Symphony North. Stylistically, it is basically TSO-like, with Peter's story. It even features some former TSO people. Check it out here:

https://www.symphonynorth.com/
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »
There's a band called Wizards of Winter, which was formed by some of the TSO cast-offs that used to be in the touring band.  I've never cared to listen to them because TSO still exists and is so good at what they do, that I really don't need another version of them.

https://wizardsofwinter.com/

Dee Snider also did Van Helsing's Curse about 15 years ago, which was TSO for Halloween, and Al Pitrelli and others were on the record.  It's not Christmas, but also featured a lot of TSO players.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
Peter Orullian (ex-Fifth Ange, ex-Heir Apparent) has a new project called Symphony North. Stylistically, it is basically TSO-like, with Peter's story. It even features some former TSO people. Check it out here:

https://www.symphonynorth.com/

Sounds interesting! will check out for sure, thanks.

There's a band called Wizards of Winter, which was formed by some of the TSO cast-offs that used to be in the touring band.  I've never cared to listen to them because TSO still exists and is so good at what they do, that I really don't need another version of them.

https://wizardsofwinter.com/

Dee Snider also did Van Helsing's Curse about 15 years ago, which was TSO for Halloween, and Al Pitrelli and others were on the record.  It's not Christmas, but also featured a lot of TSO players.

Indeed "Wizards of Winter" is already a giveaway as to where the influences lie  :D but I'll see what they're up to. Along with Dee Snider, Twisted Sister did their own christmas album which was all covers however.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Christmas music / stuff like Trans Siberian Orchestra
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
The Symphony North album is very cool! Sure, it's very derivative of TSO, but still it's some nice fresh music in that vein which isn't TSO - I'll never get tired of them, also because I only listen to them in December anyway, but new music in that style is always welcome.

Also, we're on the right forum to talk about Symphony North - James LaBrie announced on FB that he will sing a song on next year's album! there will be live shows but he didn't explicitly told if he will join them as well.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
I'd actually really like to see JLB sing with TSO. I think it'd be a really cool fit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »
I like the idea of JLB singing with TSO.  He really did a great job with The Theater Equation, so I think that should be well within his alley of his best forte.

On a side note, I'm seeing TSO, tomorrow, and I'm pretty pumped about it.  Going to be a long drive though.  40 miles to get to Ontario, CA, but it's going to be worth it.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
So, "the season's upon us" and it's time to get ready to rock and roll to some Christmas music!  :metal

I absolutely love Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I was wondering.... are they really unique in their kind or are there similar bands like them? sure, you can find an insane amount of christmas music that receives the rock / metal treatment, but TSO are unique because they have original music, and their rendition of classic songs is not overblown.

For example, I found out a band called A Hero for the World, which did TWO Christmas albums, called Winter is Coming and, wait for it, you guessed it, Winter is Here. It's not bad, but it's power metal to the extreme - all double bass and vocals way, way too high for the singer who sounds always strained. TSO are a little more laid back, even if they have distorted guitars and rock arrangements, and I was wondering if there's a band like TSO out there or are they really unique in their blend of original music and classics covers who are not parodies or too extreme in their metal renditions.

Feel free to turn this into a more generic "advice for Christmas music" thread anyway!

While it isn't Christmas music Trans Siberian Orchestra was born out of a band called Savatage. If you haven't checked them out get Dead Winter Dead (Christmas Eve: Sarajevo 12/24) was from this album and The Wake of Magellan

Speaking of Christmas songs, Def Leppard just released an original one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfw_7g4DS4E

Not the most upbeat song but it is decent

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
All right, I'm back from the TSO concert. Like most great things in life, I didn't think when people said their stage show and musicianship is something to behold, I thought "it can't be that great." What a bloody great show. It's everything you want in a high-budget, high-produced show that involves a lot of vocalists and top-notch musicians.  In fact, I think I feel like I underpaid for that show. I paid $50.00 on Groupon for the ticket when you could have bought the same ticket on Ticketmaster for around $80.00. I would have paid $80.00 for that seat in the 200 section, it was a really great view. Great show. Great visuals.  Jeff Scott Soto was really good as a frontman when he sang lead vocals in a couple of songs.  I have a better appreciation for him now than I did when I listened to the SOA debut album. 

I feel like everyone should try to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra at least once in their lifetimes around the November/December period.  Heck, if they come back to Ontario, next year, I'd go again. Probably take my family as well and cover their tickets.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:43:19 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
I should see TSO at least once, I agree.  I'm just such a cheap lazy bastard at the holidays.  It's tough to justify springing for a couple of tickets, even if they're not that much.  It's two tickets plus parking, and around here that ain't small potatoes.

We have the Halloween album.  It's pretty good stuff.  TSO doing Halloween, just what you'd expect.  Actually, I'd forgotten that we have it somewhere, but we played it a few times when we first got it and it's pretty good.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
I want to see TSO, but they always seem to come to Minnesota after Christmas, which sadly I just don't care to see something like that in the days after Christmas...I'm kinda out of the Christmas mood come December 26th  :-\

And it's sad because I'm a huge Christmas guy
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 03:20:34 AM »
I want to see TSO, but they always seem to come to Minnesota after Christmas, which sadly I just don't care to see something like that in the days after Christmas...I'm kinda out of the Christmas mood come December 26th  :-\

Yeah, it's kinda anticlimatic to listen to Christmas music after Christmas, once the actual day comes it's just winter for me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
I've been lucky enough to see TSO twice. The second time was after they became a HUGE act.

But the first time was almost 20 years ago. They were pretty big, but playing theaters, and not arenas or anything yet. Not a huge stage show. No huge names outside of the Savatage dude. I was 16 years old or so, got 2nd row seats and was the only person in the audience with long hair and Metallica shirt............and a girlfriend who fell asleep half way through the show. So much of the band was looking at me for much of the show. Then after, hope they still do this, they set up a table and would meet anyone who wanted to meet them. I remember being like "thanks guys" or whatever and them specifically asking me about my girlfriend falling asleep. Was an interesting night. Great band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
They've been around a while now, haven't they?  That early show sounds like a pretty cool gig, sleeping girlfriends notwithstanding.

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
They've been around a while now, haven't they?  That early show sounds like a pretty cool gig, sleeping girlfriends notwithstanding.

Honestly, that helped make it such a fun story. I think the keyboardist at least was looking at me for much of the gig anyway since I was acting like I was at a metal show, while everyone else was dressed up and very very calm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »

Honestly, that helped make it such a fun story. I think the keyboardist at least was looking at me for much of the gig anyway since I was acting like I was at a metal show, while everyone else was dressed up and very very calm.

That's a funny thing.  I was sporting an Alter Bridge t-shirt at the TSO concert and I did not see anyone else sport another band's T-shirt and people wearing the TSO shirts were pretty sparse as well.  Typically, at the concerts that I've been to in the last few years for any modern band, you would usually see a wide range of concert goers, for any band honestly, sporting various shirts like Maiden shirts, A7X shirts, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, maybe GNR and of course, a lot of the shirts people were wearing for were that particular headliner of the night.  Another small note, while we were all waiting to get to our seats for TSO, someone actually acknowledged my t-shirt and my reaction was basically a thumbs-up.  I would have said more, but I'm too shy like that.

Still, for this particular show, I don't think it would have bummed me out that the majority of people were not sporting rock band t-shirts.  The TSO shows just has that appeal that can really grab all kinds of demographics (and that includes people that do not primarily listen to rock).  You see couples, you see families and kids, and you got people like me ready to rock out and the cool thing is that no one feels out of place watching the same show.  That should be how concert crowds should be for anything honestly.

Anywho, back on topic, does anyone else have any Christmas original songs from any bands that they like to post?  I got this song from a band called Trucker Diablo.  "We're Gonna Rock This Christmas"  I remember Alter Bridge's Mark Tremonti giving this song a shoutout on Twitter during the holiday seasons a few years back and I go back to listen to it around this time.  Very cheery and definitely has that comforting Christmas vibe.  Here's the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4-Q__CWkg

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
It must be 10 days that I say to myself "I have to post that song" and, inevitabily, forget. Short term loss of memory is a bitch.

Anyway, do you think that maybe Xmas songs are a bit sappy? here's the completely hilarous "The Season's Upon Us" by Dropkick Murphys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

;D

Also, I've heard The Wizards of Winter and while they're another spin-off of TSO, they have some quite decent songs here and there. One could say that they're too much similar, but since we'll probably never getting another Christmas album from TSO, more music in that style is always welcome.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
Those who didn't know, almost every Finnish metal singer have contributed on a christmas album called Ragnarok Juletide (Raskasta Joulua in Finnish, 4 albums are on Spotify for example) which have some Finnish and some more obscure traditional christmas songs with heavy twist. It have grown a truly big epic concert Hall tour here in Finland and there are vocalists from Finland and other countries as well like Dee Snider, Joe Lynn Turner, Marco Hietala, Tarja Turunen, Tony Kakko and others.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL91k-V8EjkgDX1Ac5zY8623YR3sim2gpV

For example First Noel with some "nuggets": https://youtu.be/so2qulAMLkg
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »
Wow! definitively gonna check out also this!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
Those who didn't know, almost every Finnish metal singer have contributed on a christmas album called Ragnarok Juletide (Raskasta Joulua in Finnish, 4 albums are on Spotify for example) which have some Finnish and some more obscure traditional christmas songs with heavy twist. It have grown a truly big epic concert Hall tour here in Finland and there are vocalists from Finland and other countries as well like Dee Snider, Joe Lynn Turner, Marco Hietala, Tarja Turunen, Tony Kakko and others.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL91k-V8EjkgDX1Ac5zY8623YR3sim2gpV

Heard it. Wow, amazing stuff! Just the kind of approach I like for this kind of music, putting the rock / metal to it but without going overblown to the point of parody.

Most memorable song has to be "The Elf" - a dark and mesmerizing tale that is very evocative. While I'm absolutely fine with religious and semi-religious themes in Christmas music (after all in the Western civilization that's what it's all about), I wish more band would tap into the great potential of the winter / pagan / Yule ancient traditions.

Anyway, thanks DTF - Thanks to you my Xmas music collection is richer and more diverse, Symphony North (looking forward to the next album with James LaBrie as guest), The Wizards of Winter (their 2015 album The Magic of Winter is very neat, all killer no filler save the outro, and the song Ebeneezer is dark and epic and memorable) and the Ragnarok Juletide album will be part of my playlists for future Decembers to come!  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
Theocracy had a tradition (I think? Tim will tell you more) of releasing Christmas songs for every year, and I don't know if it's still going or not as I'm not a fan of the band, but I'm absolutely a fan of this particular song someone recommended me a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwHLsKsiCA
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
Theocracy had a tradition (I think? Tim will tell you more) of releasing Christmas songs for every year, and I don't know if it's still going or not as I'm not a fan of the band, but I'm absolutely a fan of this particular song someone recommended me a few years ago:

Wow. That was really something  :lol one of the wackiest stories ever put to music to the sound of a long and proggy epic  :metal nice song, I'll look into their other Xmas songs now  :D

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
Neal Schon “ava maria”

https://youtu.be/eEFUaBOmRro

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »

Wow. That was really something  :lol one of the wackiest stories ever put to music to the sound of a long and proggy epic  :metal nice song, I'll look into their other Xmas songs now  :D

The story is hilarious as are the lyrics ("son you better stay away from that little ho ho ho"), but the song is actually very well-executed. One of my favourite tunes for the season. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
Not really TSOish, but we're going to the Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas Extravaganza tonight! Love the big band sound and Setzer always makes it good time...and of course, he's a fantastic guitarist.

I recommend all his Christmas albums. Great background music for parties!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »
Seconded!  I like Setzer's Christmas stuff, too.  Great arrangements, and it always sounds like they're having a blast just playing the music.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Good point on the arrangements, Orbert. Yabba Dabba Yuletide is surprising and completely awesome.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Nothing like TSO, but here is a fun take on family Christmas celebrations.

Jonathan Coulton & John Roderick - Uncle John
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Here's a Christmas song for people that may be in delusion of Christmas spirit from a band that most people here may not like, Blink 182.  This line just seals the deal of the song for me.  "It's Christmas time again. It's time to be nice to the people you can't stand. All year."

Blink 182 - I Won't Be Home For Christmas

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
Bad Religion - Christmas Songs is a given to me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »

Heard it. Wow, amazing stuff! Just the kind of approach I like for this kind of music, putting the rock / metal to it but without going overblown to the point of parody.

Most memorable song has to be "The Elf" - a dark and mesmerizing tale that is very evocative. While I'm absolutely fine with religious and semi-religious themes in Christmas music (after all in the Western civilization that's what it's all about), I wish more band would tap into the great potential of the winter / pagan / Yule ancient traditions.

Anyway, thanks DTF - Thanks to you my Xmas music collection is richer and more diverse, Symphony North (looking forward to the next album with James LaBrie as guest), The Wizards of Winter (their 2015 album The Magic of Winter is very neat, all killer no filler save the outro, and the song Ebeneezer is dark and epic and memorable) and the Ragnarok Juletide album will be part of my playlists for future Decembers to come!  :metal

Glad you liked it!  :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
Here's a Christmas song for people that may be in delusion of Christmas spirit from a band that most people here may not like, Blink 182.  This line just seals the deal of the song for me.  "It's Christmas time again. It's time to be nice to the people you can't stand. All year."

Blink 182 - I Won't Be Home For Christmas

Lots of great lines in that song:

Outside the carolers start to sing
I can't describe the joy they bring
'Cause joy is something they don't bring me

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »
IQ released a very limited amount of a christmas CD last year. Sold out in a day or so.

Even includes an epic

https://youtu.be/rOLxCUucgXI