Author Topic: Distance over time teaser  (Read 7947 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Distance over time teaser
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »
Analyzing all the first songs released from the previous albums, the one I feel can be in some way connected to the few words we heard from the teaser is "The Enemy Inside".
Even if In TEI we're inside the protagonist's mind, while here it's like someone is talking to him.
The first released from SFAM I think it was "Home", but I don't see "Sweet HOME Metropolis" like a potential title for this song.
So my guess is: The Enemy somewhere else!!!
I find this theory interesting and reminds me Rush's Fear Quadrilogy. I think the theme of TEI has a lot of potential do expand, so it's my "vote" :tup
Anyway, It's more realistic to think that it's a sort of a sequel to a lyric written by JP, which leaves these first singles out of equation: Status Seeker, PMU, Lie, BMS and Home. Idon't remember the first single from 6D, 8v and, SC. I don't think they would do a sequel to ARoP, because it's not much a fans favourite. Neither TGoM, because it's too much linked to TA story line. I guess a pt.2 to OTBoA has also a chance.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 05:25:22 AM »
I'm not fully sure where the idea of a sequel came from...

Online devieira73

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 05:31:06 AM »
It is not.

It does share something with another song that was the first song released from a previous album though...

I guess that's because of it. So maybe this has another meaning?

Offline dream75

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 05:54:39 AM »

So it's not the sequel but the title has something share with another song?

Offline guitr2648

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 06:25:16 AM »
Could it be argued that OTBoA and TEI have similar motifs as far as the lyrics? Could it be a continuation of that?  I wouldn’t rule out OTBoA because, after all, it was nominated for a Grammy.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »

That's how I read it.. And maybe that song is PMU.. We already know this song and DOT's cover share references to Hamlet..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
What baffles me a bit is the sonic quality of the snippet on YT. I know YT in general shouldn't be the taken as HQ audio quality, but I seriously hope they actively uploaded a low quality version. I am not talking about the balance of instruments (I think the drums are loudest in the mix since MM joining). For me it sounds a bit muddy and just low quality. Strange decision to do that when they are talking about it being the best sounding DT record ever. I mean they could have just given us better audio quality in the upload then to give evidence.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
Consider the fact that this was cut together and edited into a video (compression one) and then uploaded to youtube (compression two). That will impact the audio a lot. I do not think the final version will sound like that, but I haven't heard the final version myself yet, so I can't say for certain what it WILL sound like.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
Ultimately, I agree with you - since we haven't actually heard the CD we cannot know how it's going to sound.

But I have to say - this argument does not give me much hope. You could say that about every album teaser by any band on Youtube, you could even say that about music videos on Youtube (which are ultimately created by someone overlaying the master audio track on top of a video, compressing it, and uploading to Youtube).

Yet most of these videos sound just fine.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
I think the drums are loudest in the mix since MM joining

:huh:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Anyway, Bosk said that 4 additional song titles are out there. How come nobody found out yet?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online devieira73

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
What?! Everything is a treasure hunt these days? :D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
I've looked everywhere for the 4 new track titles and couldn't find anything :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
I've looked everywhere for the 4 new track titles and couldn't find anything :'(

But did you looked inside yourself?... Remember, TALW..

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »
So noxon, is it related to an older song in a similar manner to how OaMoT and TtT are related?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
That is a good comparison indeed.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
Or maybe like TOWHTSTS and A Nightmare to Remember...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
At Wit's End as sequel to Wither?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
That is a good comparison indeed.
:tup

For that matter, could the connection be akin to The Mirror and the 12 Step Suite?

Huh? I must've missed that one - did the band ever make any sort of connection to those 2 songs?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
Huh? I must've missed that one - did the band ever make any sort of connection to those 2 songs?

JP did.. I remember him saying it in an interview (and also in Lifting Shadows IIRC).. Both songs are about the car crash he and his family had when he was a kid..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »

JP did.. I remember him saying it in an interview (and also in Lifting Shadows IIRC).. Both songs are about the car crash he and his family had when he was a kid..

Return of the Count of Tuscany
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »

Got a link to the interview or know where in LS he talks about that? Never knew that.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

Got a link to the interview or know where in LS he talks about that? Never knew that.

Sorry, but no I don't :-\.. The interview was from several years ago (couldn't worded it differently), and I don't have the book right now to look for that part (and if I had it that would still be very hard to find anyways)..

I thought it was common knowledge though (some in this forum -like in the appreciation thread about the song- have mentioned the similarities its lyrical content has with ANTR's).. Anyways, now that I searched on it, I think I might be not so spot on about it.. Found this comment in https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/85692/:

<<John Petrucci was interviewed about this song saying that it's about about a guy driving late at night who is starting to fall asleep behind the wheel. The character then slips into a dream that only lasts a moment, but in his dream he sees how his love ones would be affected by his death. By the end of the song he snaps back into consciousness and as JP puts it: "gets his shit together.">>

So yeah, maybe it was just my interpretation of what JP said which lead me to think that the song was precisely about that car crash rather than he himself saying it was about it.. But let be honest, whether intencionally or not, or explicitly or not, I think is obvious he was at least inspired by the accident..

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
Sorry, but no I don't :-\.. The interview was from several years ago (couldn't worded it differently), and I don't have the book right now to look for that part (and if I had it that would still be very hard to find anyways)..
I just spent the last 30+ minutes paging through LS to see if I could find any comments about a connection between the two songs, and I couldn't find any at all. So I don't think there's anything in LS to connect them together.

So yeah, maybe it was just my interpretation of what JP said which lead me to think that the song was precisely about that car crash rather than he himself saying it was about it.. But let be honest, whether intencionally or not, or explicitly or not, I think is obvious he was at least inspired by the accident..
I think it probably was just you reading into JP's comments, but yeah, it's quite possible that his experience (as described in ANtR) did influence the lyrics he wrote for TOWHtStS.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
I know they're not connected at all, but for some reason I always thought that TKH and TMOLS shared a theme somehow.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
So noxon, is it related to an older song in a similar manner to how OaMoT and TtT are related?

What's the thing between these two?

Offline rab7

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »
Only a Matter of Time is autobiographical, about DT's struggle to break out and find success.

Take the Time is also autobiographical, about DT's continued struggle in the period after WDADU

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
Anyway, Bosk said that 4 additional song titles are out there. How come nobody found out yet?  :D

What if they were in treasure hunt? There were some good names for songs
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »

What if they were in treasure hunt? There were some good names for songs

Hidden By Design.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
I just spent the last 30+ minutes paging through LS to see if I could find any comments about a connection between the two songs, and I couldn't find any at all. So I don't think there's anything in LS to connect them together.

I think it probably was just you reading into JP's comments, but yeah, it's quite possible that his experience (as described in ANtR) did influence the lyrics he wrote for TOWHtStS.

I agree that I don't think there was an explicit connection made by JP.  My recollection is that JP might have talked about the song's meaning in the WDADU documentary that was released with the 15th anniversary DVD.  But PLEASE - don't feel compelled to spend 30+ minutes reviewing the documentary - I'd hate to have wasted your time trying to confirm my shoddy memory!!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »
My "connection" thought was much more on the surface  ;) Not like subject matter, just... yeah, you'll understand.

Offline rab7

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »
My "connection" thought was much more on the surface

Beneath the Surface Pt 2: Above the Water's Edge

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
I found and posted it on the controversial opinions thread ;D

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2018, 03:36:53 PM »
My "connection" thought was much more on the surface  ;) Not like subject matter, just... yeah, you'll understand.

An Angels Point of View
. . . or something like that.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
I found and posted it on the controversial opinions thread ;D

Holy smokes -- is At Wits End a continuance of Anna Lee??