Author Topic: Any Bands you'd recommend?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Vertigo

Any Bands you'd recommend?
« on: November 22, 2018, 11:17:06 PM »
Hello everyone. I hope I'm posting this on the right board. Recently, I've been on a music binge, and I was wondering if you guys can recommend some artists for me? I'm looking for a band that plays melancholic music like Steven Wilson, Blackfield, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Katatonia, etc.

Any bands that have catchy acoustic passages and gives off a really relaxing and soft feel is welcome. A great example would be like Lazarus by Steven Wilson, Harvest by Opeth, etc. Thanks in advanced guys.

Bands I already have: TesseracT, Anathema, Pink Floyd, Anekdoten, Blackfield, Chroma Key, Fates Warning, Katatonia, Pagan's Mind, Riverside, The Pineapple Thief, Opeth, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:05:50 PM by Vertigo »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Any Bands you'd recommend?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »
Try the album Weather Systems by Anathema
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 12:29:49 AM »
Anna von Hausswolff put out a fantastic album this year that I recently discovered, titled Dead Magic. It doesn't quite fit in with the artists mentioned but it's very dark and melancholic.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:46:02 AM »
If you like Porcupine Tree I think The Pineapple Thief is worth checking out.

Other than that checkout: Chroma Key, Anekdoten, The Dear Hunter, Beardfish and The Flower King.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »
oceansize
try frames or effloresce

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Sleep at the Edge of the Earth by Wilderun, definitely. It's more folk metal oriented than the bands you mentioned but meets the acoustic passages demand.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 02:07:26 AM »
Not a band, a Scottish folk musician - Karine Polwart, particularly the album This Earthly Spell. It's not acoustic passages, it's full acoustic songs but well worth checking out.

Offline Vertigo

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll check all of them out and see which one suits my style and such. Very much appreciated!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
For the more acoustic side of things, I'd recommend you check out iamthemorning, The Moulettes, Agalloch (also has some metal aspects), and maybe some of the older 70s prog bands if you aren't too familiar with them (like Camel, Yes, and Floyd). Anathema, Frost*, and Pineapple Thief are also some good bets.

For artists similar to what you listed: Ne Obliviscaris (most similar to Opeth), Kingcrow, Russian Circles (mostly post-metal/post-rock and they rarely have vocals), Agalloch, Dir en Grey (warning: those vocals are wild), Anciients, dredg, Leprous, Primordial, Soen, Wilderun, and Arkona (mostly folk metal, with an emphasis on the folk. They have some really upbeat stuff too). Dvne, Tool, and Mastodon might also be worth checking out if you haven't already.

And for something in the same vein, but totally different: check out Submotion Orchestra (Jazz meets R&B meets Electronic music), Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Birth of the Cool (jazz, good atmosphere), impressionist classical composers like Debussy and Ravel and late romantics like Mahler, Liszt, and Wagner, and stuff like Lorde and The Weeknd (which are pop/R&B, but have the same atmosphere you're looking for).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
If you haven't yet, check out the Storm Corrosion CD that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt did.  Should be right up your alley and is outstanding.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Neverending White Lights - Dove Coloured Sky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAtvnZAmeUM

The Antlers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESdx5AHyJc

Small Leaks Sink Ships - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XO-FuGDgSk

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 04:41:34 AM »
TesseracT - Altered State, Polaris and Sonder

Offline Vertigo

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
Thanks a lot guys! I still have quite a few to check from what you've suggested, but the ones that I've tried and downloaded was Blackfield, Chroma Key, The Pineapple Thief, Anna Von Hauswolff, and Oceansize.

I also updated the OP with the bands i already have downloaded like Anathema, and Storm corrosion. And sorry if I wasn't being very descriptive on the original post. I reread it and cringed at the lack of detail I was giving.

I'd prefer if there were no growls, and only beautiful clean vocals. And also, if the bands were not like in the 1970-1990. Around 1995-20XX would be preferred also. Opeth's Damnation, Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, Steven Wilson would be like the base point of the bands. Songs that bleed emotion and have beautiful instrument work. Dream Theater's Disappear, and Space Dye Vest are also great examples.

I really appreciate the suggestions you've given, and I'll continue to check them out. Thank you!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »
I think you'd dig OSI, if you have not heard them yet.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
i'll second The Antlers, hospice is a fantastic album
i also recommend Beggars by Thrice

Offline Vertigo

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
First listen, OSI seems fantastic. Checking out The Antlers and Thrice now. Thanks guys!