Author Topic: Lion King - Official Trailer  (Read 11056 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lion King - Official Trailer
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »
I agree, except I don't think the issue is how old something is. It is more about what is the newest version. We are a culture that needs a new iPhone every time one gets released. If there are two versions of a movie, why would anyone want to watch the older one?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
I have an 8, 11 and 12 year old and they are completely spoiled when it comes to the era their growing up in concerning animation/video games etc. It’s infinitely better than even 10 years ago. My comment about kids not seeing the old lion king or even being able to sit through it is based off of there’s little chance that it would hold their attention. It’s simply ‘boring’ to watch when it comes to the animation. I’ve seen it first hand when we’ve come across old cartoons or tv show I used to watch.....they can’t make it 5 minutes.

Heck, when we watched ‘Attack of the Clones’ my middle son literally laughed out loud at the animation and CGI. That was top notch stuff when it was released and they laughed at how bad it is compared to what they are seeing today.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
I agree, except I don't think the issue is how old something is. It is more about what is the newest version. We are a culture that needs a new iPhone every time one gets released. If there are two versions of a movie, why would anyone want to watch the older one?

Yeah, but I don't think a 3 year old is thinking "I like the new Beauty and the Beast because it's newer". I think there are chemical differences in the brain when looking at the original hand drawn movie and the one that came out a few years ago. The brain is chemically craving the newer one because it lights up many more sections of it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
Heck, when we watched ‘Attack of the Clones’ my middle son literally laughed out loud at the animation and CGI.
So did I.

A 3 year old will watch what they are exposed to.  If there is a little kid that won't watch cartoons, especially Disney cartoons, that's because of their parents, not the kids.  And for that matter, half of them are exposed to Disney stuff pretty regularly, through the Disney Channel.

My kids are older now, but they have always loved all of the older Disney animated films.  Little kids don't know they are "old", they would only know that they haven't seen it yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Heck, when we watched ‘Attack of the Clones’ my middle son literally laughed out loud at the animation and CGI.
So did I.

A 3 year old will watch what they are exposed to.  If there is a little kid that won't watch cartoons, especially Disney cartoons, that's because of their parents, not the kids.  And for that matter, half of them are exposed to Disney stuff pretty regularly, through the Disney Channel.

My kids are older now, but they have always loved all of the older Disney animated films.  Little kids don't know they are "old", they would only know that they haven't seen it yet.

My kids grew up on the Disney Channel. Even the ‘lesser’ animated series in there were/are better than the original Lion King animation.

I’m not sure what your trying to argue here? Brian hinted to the science behind it and just in general the ‘old’ animation simply doesn’t capture a kids attentuon compared to the modern day stuff. Put them side by side and current technology will win every time and my bet is that’s what Disney is banking on. The crop of young kids who ignored the original Lion Kimg because it didn’t interest them. If their parents didn’t show them that movie it’s bexauwe they knew their kids would watch it for 5 minutes and give up on it.

There kids will watch the entirety of this new one simply based on the visuals.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »
This movie looks amazing with a great director. Who cares if it's a reboot? The Jungle Book was amazing as well.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 02:57:45 PM »
This movie looks amazing with a great director. Who cares if it's a reboot? The Jungle Book was amazing as well.

This!

Man even Dumbo looks GREAT!!! I could never watch the original completely because those pink elephants that terrorized me. But I am sure I will have a blast with my older son

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »

I don't care if it's a reboot, that's fine for others who really want to see this.  I just don't have interest in throwing money at this since it seems to be too much of the same to want to pay to see it.  Now, the more I think about it though, I totally would watch it for free when it makes it's way to TV or HBO or something.  Also, having a similar but reworked score makes it interesting to me.  Movie music really never makes or break a movie for me, but the score on this movie was really awesome though and IMO a big role on the popularity of the movie. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 06:38:17 AM »
I’m not sure what your trying to argue here?
I'm not arguing at all.  I'm just baffled at your position.

Like I said, my kids are older now, so I figured (given what you are espousing) that maybe I'm just out of my mind.  So I asked multiple co-workers who have kids in what I figured are the target Disney demographic (3-10), and all of them pretty much agreed with me - all of their kids love the original Lion King, and all of the other Disney films of that era.  They all seem mystified when I suggested that they may have gone out of style with kids.

So I don't know.  *shrugs*

Brian hinted to the science behind it
With all respect to Brian, he didn't hint at any science behind it.  He speculated about something. 

I think there are chemical differences in the brain when looking at the original hand drawn movie and the one that came out a few years ago. The brain is chemically craving the newer one because it lights up many more sections of it.

Him saying that isn't "science". 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 07:01:57 AM »
Back in 2009 or so, I was living with my ex-fiance (not ex at the time) and her 3-4 year old daughter. The daughter loved the current stuff (back then) but also loved all the classic stuff. Because we showed it to her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
but also loved all the classic stuff. Because we showed it to her.
I think that's the key. Plop your kids in front of the TV to choose what they want and they'll probably default to newer stuff. Watch your favorites with them and they'll probably become their favorites too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
Hell, we got her to LOVE a bootleg recording of Mr. Boogedy. A terrible children's Halloween movie from the 80's. If a kid can love THAT movie? Then they can love whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
So I don't know.  *shrugs*

Nor do I.....the sample of kids I'm familiar with (mine, nieces/nephews and friends) would seem to support my thought....which is why I suggested it.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Hell, we got her to LOVE a bootleg recording of Mr. Boogedy. A terrible children's Halloween movie from the 80's. If a kid can love THAT movie? Then they can love whatever.

what about the sequel, "Bride of Boogedy"?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Adami

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »

what about the sequel, "Bride of Boogedy"?

That one too!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
my 7 year old and 9 year old love all the old animated movies.  Heck, they ask me to get out my old Looney Tunes collections all the time to watch those.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
Me too. That looks wonderful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
Ehhhhhh. It LOOKS insanely amazing. But it also....looks exactly like the original. Like....exactly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »
Ehhhhhh. It LOOKS insanely amazing. But it also....looks exactly like the original. Like....exactly.

I think that was the point. If they changed it up too much, the world would have grabbed their pitchforks and accused them of changing a classic.

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Eh. I dunno. Seems artistically empty then. But I’m sure it’ll be fine and make over a billion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
This.  I see no point to this.

Or, frankly, to the entire line of "real-life" adaptations of classic Disney animation. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
This.  I see no point to this.

Or, frankly, to the entire line of "real-life" adaptations of classic Disney animation.

Kids today want to see realistic CGI over hand-drawn cartoons. I don't get why that's so hard to understand. Plus Disney wants to make money, as it's the entire point of them existing. When I was a kid, there was nothing you could say or do to convince me to watch the old black and white mickey mouse cartoons. I imagine it's the the same thing today, just with the next generation of children's entertainment.

Offline Adami

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
And I get that. I do. Though it seems....flimsy. It's not like kids only watch photo realistic stuff like this....it barely exists! Also, why not remake every single cartoon ever then? Why just these specific ones?

And why not just do something original with this tech instead? I doubt too many kids are like "man...I REALLY want to watch Lion King, but the animation isn't state of the art...so I just cannot physically watch it...dammit!." If anything, they just don't care. So why not do an original story with this stuff for the new generation? To me, movies (ideally) are also about artistic expression. They're not JUST a means of technology showing off. This movie is just a means of showing off technology right now. It doesn't do anything artistic at all (from what i can see in the trailers). So again, tech is very cool. Tell an original story instead. Kids will like that too if it's done well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
Kids like Disney movies. Disney likes money. 90s-born kids like myself also like Disney movies. 90s kids like me also have a turgid hardon for remakes of things from their childhood, video games, television, cinema, you name it, we more or less eat it up.

Yeah they could do something original with the tech, yeah they could remake other things, but it's the smartest and safest way for them to make money and get a good reaction from audiences who know they're going in to see something they already know they're fond of. Plus the advertising is easy. It's all easy. Except actually making the effects, I guess.

Personally I couldn't care less about the behind-the-scenes stuff; yeah film is about artistic expression, but Star Wars is all artistic expression and it's a big bag of farts. I just wanna see animals stampeding in the Pride Lands, man.  :hat

EDIT: I also wonder how kids today respond to those traditionally animated films, and how well a child can grasp all the detail in something like, say, this Lion King remake. Part of the originals' charm is the simplicity of the animation and the vibrancy of the colors, the exaggerated facial expressions and body movements. I remember being a child and actually not enjoying the live action Disney movies, or live action animal movies like Jurassic Park. I much preferred animation. But I'm sure there's a strong portion of children that would lose their minds watching stuff like this remake. I'd like to read about that...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
Why just these specific ones?

And why not just do something original with this tech instead?

Because they can save money on using a pre-existing story and not having to reinvent the wheel. This type of animation isn't cheap by any means. Their view of risk is very low. And by using something that was already a success, it still manages to get a childless thirty year old like myself excited for this, whereas an entirely new story probably wouldn't.

Offline Adami

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 12:24:15 PM »
Exactly. It's not an artistic movie at all then. It's a display of technology and a means of making money. Obviously this isn't the only movie to do that, but I thought little of the other ones as well. I'll continue to not have much respect for this movie either, aside from the animators who are blowing me away.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
Why just these specific ones?

And why not just do something original with this tech instead?

Because they can save money on using a pre-existing story and not having to reinvent the wheel. This type of animation isn't cheap by any means. Their view of risk is very low. And by using something that was already a success, it still manages to get a childless thirty year old like myself excited for this, whereas an entirely new story probably wouldn't.

I don't know that it's about "saving money" as opposed to just having a proven winner that they can remake.  They know the story works.  And they know the Lion King "brand" alone will sell it because people know what it is.  Yes, it does save money to use a pre-existing story.  But it's not about that.

EDIT:  And about the movie itself, there is nothing about this idea that makes me want to see it.  But I probably will at some point.  I felt the same way about The Jungle Book.  No interest whatsoever.  But I saw it.  And I unexpectedly loved it.  I would not be shocked if I loved this as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
Exactly. It's not an artistic movie at all then. It's a display of technology and a means of making money. Obviously this isn't the only movie to do that, but I thought little of the other ones as well. I'll continue to not have much respect for this movie either, aside from the animators who are blowing me away.

So what? When I see a movie, I don't grade it with an artistic rubric. Was I entertained - yes or no? That's all that matters. Across the Universe was artistic as hell and it was shit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »

Respectfully, isn't that a bit much? You yourself have been reviewing Marvel movies which are often ripped straight out of their comics and not using entirely original stories either.

Just because the story is the same and the shots are recreations of iconic shots from the film (as they should be, imo), doesn't mean it isn't artistic. It absolutely is still artistic. You have all kinds of elements you don't have to think about in animation. You have real lighting, environments, photography, set pieces, and all new technology. The intent behind the originals was to make money, too, mind.

Offline Adami

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 12:29:03 PM »

So what? When I see a movie, I don't grade it with an artistic rubric. Was I entertained - yes or no? That's all that matters. Across the Universe was artistic as hell and it was shit.

That's you. That's cool. It's also most people. That's cool. Like I said, I doubt it'll be a bad movie. After all it's just redoing a great one. It'll obviously make over a billion dollars, showing that most people will love it. I just won't think very much of it. I will probably lump THIS version of it with things like the Transformers movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »

Respectfully, isn't that a bit much? You yourself have been reviewing Marvel movies which are often ripped straight out of their comics and not using entirely original stories either.

Just because the story is the same and the shots are recreations of iconic shots from the film (as they should be, imo), doesn't mean it isn't artistic. It absolutely is still artistic. You have all kinds of elements you don't have to think about in animation. You have real lighting, environments, photography, set pieces, and all new technology. The intent behind the originals was to make money, too, mind.

There are technical elements. No doubt. Very very respectful of those. But a movie, to me, is more than the technical achievements.

And Marvel adapting comic books is one form of medium adapting another. Redoing something in the same medium is quite different. If they re-did Iron Man, the movie, with new people and better FX but it was the same movie, I'd also have little respect for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
But even though it's the same medium, there is a massive difference between a live version of a film and an animated one. And all that new technology is part of the artistic process. I think you just are peering more into the business back-end of things here as opposed to the original, because again, the original was intended to make money, too, as every product a company puts out is expected to - that's no surprise. But it's definitely still an artistic feat, brother. I guess I just don't understand the loss of respect thing because that seems to be quite a powerful reaction to this.

Offline Adami

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
It's not live action. It's animated. It just had some physical green screens and a motion capture. It's a new form of animated.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
I get that, tons of CGI and effects, but it's not animated, so I don't know what else to call it. There's real locations and stuff (... right?) so I'm going with that. Still, my point remains. I don't get the loss of respect thing, but I totally understand not digging the style. :P