Author Topic: Lion King - Official Trailer  (Read 11213 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Lion King - Official Trailer
« on: November 22, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
I know remakes/reboots can get a lot of hate, but I am very excited for this.

https://youtu.be/4CbLXeGSDxg

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Lion King - Official Trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
So.......it's exactly the cartoon but realistic looking?

I mean, it's amazing what technology can do now, but.........yea, that felt pretty shot for shot, even if it was just a teaser.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
I get the live action remakes, but there's basically nothing live action about this. It's just a different form of animation. I'm still excited about it though. I love the Lion King.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
I get the live action remakes, but there's basically nothing live action about this. It's just a different form of animation. I'm still excited about it though. I love the Lion King.

Also a very good point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
It'll do well I bet, but no interest from me.  I don't really need to see a realistic animation of this movie.  I also hardly watch movies anyway so I'm a hard sell.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
Oh this movie's making a billion dollars within a month.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
I wouldn't call it a live remake. It's more of a realistic remake.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
Looks cool. There are a couple generations of kids that most likely have not seen the Lion King.....and will never sit through the original given how ‘old’ the animation is.

I get the push back against remaking this but, even if it is shot for shot it’s a good movie and it’ll reach a whole new group of kids/young adults.

I’ll go see it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
I'm not pushing back. Just kind of a missed opportunity......IF.....it's mostly shot for shot. When you update a movie like this, you have the opportunity to do some interesting stuff. It'd just be a shame if they wasted that opportunity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 06:12:24 PM »
I'm not pushing back. Just kind of a missed opportunity......IF.....it's mostly shot for shot. When you update a movie like this, you have the opportunity to do some interesting stuff. It'd just be a shame if they wasted that opportunity.

It'll likely be how The Jungle Book was.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Adami

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Well the Jungle Book cartoon was....barely anything. Then they took it and made a  much bigger, different, more fleshed out story from it.

The Lion King cartoon is....perfect as is. I dunno what they would really add or change.

Beauty and the Beast is more of what I expect. Shot for shot with a few extra little things on occasion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
I haven't seen The Beauty and The Beast remake, nor have I seen much of the cartoon. So, I wouldn't know about it.

I'm excited to see the movie for the realistic approach

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »

I agree with that. There’s no need for a shot for shot. The scene in the trailer is iconic so I understand they’d want to stick to it pretty close. But I think they could get away with some modifications to the dialogue and scenes and still hit the ‘story’

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
It looks stunning. And I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say this, but if we're not getting Jeremy Irons, I don't want James Earl Jones, if that makes sense.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
Holy crap this looks amazing!

Doing a little research and Darth Vader is the only returning voice, they re-cast everyone else, and all the comedy-relief characters are white (Poomba, Timon, Zazoo) and everyone else are black.  Not sure if they're just re-using his original tracks or he's re-recording them.  Dunno why they didn't bring back Jeremy Irons as scar or Whoopi Goldberg as Queen Hyena.

I'm all for ethnic and gender diversity but it seems lately that society is obviously over-compensating for historic prejudices and injustices.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 06:48:13 AM »
As for all the voice actors being black, the characters are essentially all African, so that sort of makes sense. It is weird they would bring back James Earl Jones but none of the other original voice actors.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
What about Elton John's music?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »
What about Elton John's music?

I was wondering about this too. I hope they don't remake Elton John's songs with another artist.

I'm pretty pumped for this movie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
Hans Zimmer is doing the score once again and Elton John is reworking his songs with help from Beyonce.
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight", "Hakuna Matata", "I Just Can't Wait to Be King", and "Circle of Life are all confirmed to be in the movie.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »
I read that "Be Prepared" is the only song not in it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
Hans Zimmer is doing the score once again and Elton John is reworking his songs with help from Beyonce.
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight", "Hakuna Matata", "I Just Can't Wait to Be King", and "Circle of Life are all confirmed to be in the movie.

I'll be sad if there's no Be Prepared.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
I've never seen The Lion King.

Oh good. If there is one thing Elton John needs, it's help from Beyonce.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 11:54:03 PM »
I've never seen The Lion King.

Oh good. If there is one thing Elton John needs, it's help from Beyonce.
:lol Yea well maybe he needs someone to hold his G&T.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 01:44:51 AM »
Lion King is the best Disney movie of all time IMO, so this remake has a lot to live up to. I don't expect it to be anywhere near as great, which doesn't mean it cannot be good.

This is a good sign IMO.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 02:57:48 AM »
From the trailer I get the feeling this is more a remastered Lion King in CGI but with new voice actors and not a remake or retelling. Could be a cool thing if the just copy they movie to CGI. Hopefully it's not a 2019 PC Lion King with PETA approval.  :P

Now what I wanna see is a real LIVE action movie, meaning with real animals. Now THAT would have been something too see especially the behind the scenes.  :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 04:29:03 AM »

Now what I wanna see is a real LIVE action movie, meaning with real animals. Now THAT would have been something too see especially the behind the scenes.  :lol
Just watch yesterday's episode of Dynasties from BBC. Interesting behind the scenes and all.

(example clip  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBTPT8qtgE )

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 05:48:19 AM »

I'll be sad if there's no Be Prepared.

People on r/movies on Reddit are saying that this song will not be included in the sound track. I'm not sure if that's a fact or not, but it will be a bummer if that's the case. It's my favorite song off the sound track.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
Yep easily the best song.....that sucks

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
Looks cool. There are a couple generations of kids that most likely have not seen the Lion King.....and will never sit through the original given how ‘old’ the animation is.
I doubt that very seriously.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »
I doubt that very seriously.

Which part? The 'couple generations' or that the current generation of younglings wouldn't sit through the original Lion King?

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
I think the number of kids who won’t watch the original, but that would watch the remake is very very small.

I hope at least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
Gary's right. We had people over two weekends ago, several of which were young-ish mothers with kids in the 1-5 year range. We were on the topic of what kinds of movies kids watch today, and all but one said their kids don't want to watch the old movies. They want to watch the Toy Stories the new Beauty and the Beast instead.

You know, part of me wants to get on about how much of a bummer that is, but as a child, and I guess even now as an adult, I just won't watch black and white movies. I think I've seen two in my entire life (Schindler's List and Refer Madness). As a kid, I just couldn't wrap my head around watching black and white when color was available. It's why no one touched their Gameboy Pocket again once the Color came out. My brain wanted the color. I enjoyed the color. I wouldn't be surprised if the brains of the kids today sort of crave the new-age 3D animations over the flat stuff we had.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:36:20 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
Yea, as a kid I had no interest in watching older movies. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
I think the number of kids who won’t watch the original, but that would watch the remake is very very small.

I think the complete opposite as you, Adami (NO WAY!)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

I think the complete opposite as you, Adami (NO WAY!)

Let me be hopeful!

I guess I just find it sad, is all. But then I remembered I have a 25 year old coworker who won't watch movies before the year 2000 (In general, not 100%). It's just.......sad, to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com