Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 48086 times)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Re: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #5!!!
« Reply #735 on: January 29, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
Glad you liked the songs I sent. Check out the rest of the Bone Crown album. It really is quite good and I'd probably put it in my top 10 of all time. I was a bit worried when you started talking about the band name.

Most of my favorite lines from music you'd have already heard but I'll come up with something.

The scores reset now that the finals are upon us right?  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »
Fair question that I've been kicking around for a while now.  I'm against resetting the scores, since I want to have some reward for those that did well in the first five rounds; I don't want to make this a free-for-all.  But I put it to the group (all can vote, but the excluded people's votes only count in the case of a tie, and OPTION THREE will only win if it is unanimous):

OPTION ONE:
Nothing fancy.  Keep the scores, no reset, and just play it out. 

OPTION TWO:
No reset, but if you have the high score in the round, you automatically get to move on to the next round (since every round is an elimination round from here on out).  Bear in mind, every round has had a clear winner except one, and that was a two-way tie.

OPTION THREE:
Reset scores to zero.

You can vote anonymously by sending your vote to me in PM.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #737 on: January 29, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
I’m all for keeping the scores!  :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #738 on: January 29, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
I have no strong feelings on the matter. It’s yourroulette 😀

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #739 on: January 29, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
From the OP

This is a themed roulette using a NASCAR championship structure.    Eight rounds - each round with a theme.  After five, the top eight go head to head in the "Chase" (rounds 6, 7, and 8).    You win one of the first five rounds, you're automatically in.  The remaining spots will be filled by points.  Sixth round (with 8 contestants):  four go on, four go home.  Seventh round (with 4 contestants): two go on, two go home.  Eight round (with 2 contestants): one wins, one cries.

Help me out here boss... I"m confused as a baby in a topless bar.

So, the 5 'winners' from rounds 1-5 are:
1: Indy/Scorp... Indy graduates to the Chase
2: TAC
3: King
4: TAC/Jingle... Tie goes to the Canuck  :biggrin: (I assume, since TAC is already a round winner)
5: Romdrums

Leaving the remainder of the actual Top 8 to fill out the Chase round (tough titties to the bottom 8... none of them won a round to compensate for being in the bottom 8  :-\).

Now, what is the head-to-head format?  Everyone vs everyone and the top 4 scores move on?  Or is it like a playoff format ... 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5?  Something else?

If it's just top 4 scores, as much as I'd like that... it makes it VERY difficult for the bottom 4 to overcome.  Though, in most sports 'regular season' performance is to be rewarded.  TAC won the pole position, and wouldn't be relegated to a level playing field in NASCAR.

I don't understand Option 2 - doesn't the highest score naturally move on?  In what scenario would the highest score be eliminated?  Serious question, I really don't understand what you're trying to say with this option.

Ultimately, your the host, and you set the rules and guidelines.  Not sure we as the players should also be the competition committee that sets the rules.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #740 on: January 29, 2019, 06:06:10 PM »
I"m confused as a baby in a topless bar.

Hey, quit stealing my sig.......oh wait... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: January 29, 2019, 06:16:50 PM »
From the OP

This is a themed roulette using a NASCAR championship structure.    Eight rounds - each round with a theme.  After five, the top eight go head to head in the "Chase" (rounds 6, 7, and 8).    You win one of the first five rounds, you're automatically in.  The remaining spots will be filled by points.  Sixth round (with 8 contestants):  four go on, four go home.  Seventh round (with 4 contestants): two go on, two go home.  Eight round (with 2 contestants): one wins, one cries.

Help me out here boss... I"m confused as a baby in a topless bar.

So, the 5 'winners' from rounds 1-5 are:
1: Indy/Scorp... Indy graduates to the Chase
2: TAC
3: King
4: TAC/Jingle... Tie goes to the Canuck  :biggrin: (I assume, since TAC is already a round winner)
5: Romdrums

Leaving the remainder of the actual Top 8 to fill out the Chase round (tough titties to the bottom 8... none of them won a round to compensate for being in the bottom 8  :-\).

Now, what is the head-to-head format?  Everyone vs everyone and the top 4 scores move on?  Or is it like a playoff format ... 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5?  Something else?

If it's just top 4 scores, as much as I'd like that... it makes it VERY difficult for the bottom 4 to overcome.  Though, in most sports 'regular season' performance is to be rewarded.  TAC won the pole position, and wouldn't be relegated to a level playing field in NASCAR.

I don't understand Option 2 - doesn't the highest score naturally move on?  In what scenario would the highest score be eliminated?  Serious question, I really don't understand what you're trying to say with this option.

Ultimately, your the host, and you set the rules and guidelines.  Not sure we as the players should also be the competition committee that sets the rules.  :biggrin:

Uh, I totally forgot that I wrote that; I've actually been agonizing over that - win a round and you're in - since about midway through the third round.   Huh.  That makes it easy.  I was also very reluctant to "change the rules as we go", but I don't have to do that.

Win, and you're in, remaining field filled out by top scores.  Top eight doesn't change, so that's good (whew!!) but forget the last couple posts (No vote, no changes, no (more) nonsense). We're keeping the scores, so TAC, Jingle, etc. get some advantage from being good over the first five rounds, but whoever wins this is automatically in the top four, the remaining three to be filled in by the best composite score, ties broken by best round. 

Thank you, Chad (seriously).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
Still working on a second song...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 29, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »
Ok... now I get it (I think).  Eg... if Lowdz gets the best score, but ends up in 5th based on cumulative score over the 6 rounds, he still moves on, and the 4th place dude is S.O.L.

If I gots that right, will that condition still apply in round 7 when it's down to the top 4?  The 4th place dude gets the best score, still ends up 4th, but moves on, and the #2 dude is S.O.L.?

Seems legit (serious).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: January 29, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
I have sent for the next round!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
Ok... now I get it (I think).  Eg... if Lowdz gets the best score, but ends up in 5th based on cumulative score over the 6 rounds, he still moves on, and the 4th place dude is S.O.L.

If I gots that right, will that condition still apply in round 7 when it's down to the top 4?  The 4th place dude gets the best score, still ends up 4th, but moves on, and the #2 dude is S.O.L.?

Seems legit (serious).

Yep, that's it.   I get it that it might seem a little unfair in the immediate, but I think I have to give some chance for the last place to win, but there's also the fact that, the first and second places are there for a reason. 

One final clarification point though:   Last round - the final two - IS head to head.   In the last round, past scores don't matter, it's who wins the round. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 29, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
I think that's actually the fairest way to give everyone a chance, while still respecting the value of scoring well in the first 5 rounds.

And I'm not just kissing ass.  Well, maybe a little.  :biggrin:

Just typing up my PM.

Edit: Sent.  Pulling out some big guns now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:41:17 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #747 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:40 AM »
Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
and for once I'll give some clarity:   If your favorite line is "The love you take is equal to the love you make" and you send in The End, you'll either get it rejected (Beatles!) or you'll get your score for the song, your two points for the theme, and zero for the creativity.  The creativity on this one is HOW YOU GET THE LINE IN. 

I honestly don't understand the "how you get the line in" part for creativity. Are my mediocre English skills to blame?

Edit: doesn't really matter though, I know what I'm going out with.

Edit2: And sent!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:11:40 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #749 on: January 30, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
sent.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: January 30, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »
For as much as I thought I would be wrestling with what song/lyric to send, both tracks ended up being the ones that were my very first thoughts when I saw the theme.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2019, 01:23:20 PM »
Same here.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »
Sent. Regretting it already. Had a few different ideas for the first time this roulette. Wished I could send six songs this time.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #753 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:02 AM »
I think I've demolished every record for corniest submission ever, but send did I.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #754 on: February 01, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
I will send tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: February 01, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
Sent. Regretting it already. Had a few different ideas for the first time this roulette. Wished I could send six songs this time.

Sometimes life hands you a gift.   I think I have to reject one of your songs; you can resubmit the one or if they are a "pair" you can resubmit both.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #756 on: February 04, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »
 :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 04, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
 :corn

Me waiting for

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #758 on: February 04, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #759 on: February 04, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
I believe I'm the 10 car in that gif

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: February 05, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #761 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »
Stadler's version of NASCAR:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #764 on: February 05, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline romdrums

« Reply #765 on: February 06, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #766 on: February 06, 2019, 06:54:08 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: February 06, 2019, 07:24:11 AM »
Stadler did you misquote the Black lyrics on purpose?

Yes; I've always heard it as "sun" and that makes more sense to me, but I realize the official lyrics are "star".   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: February 06, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
First off, let me start by saying "Bite me."

Good round; here’s where the rubber meets the road.  As a collective comment, I didn’t see a lot of places to apply that extra “creativity” point, so I gave everyone zeros on that, but let those be warned, that’s a good way to create some distance.  I like music as a general proposition, so scores are generally high here (I think the EIGHTH place average is an 8), so that means there’s not a lot of gap.   But I’m not here to strategize for you, now, am I?  When I said “creativity in getting the line in”, I was thinking that someone would send, say, a Dio or Jon Anderson line (two of the greatest philosophers in modern philosophy) but knowing they were likely banned, getting it in via a cover, or demo version or something like that.  Also, this seemed to be the round for “repeat bands”.  I think I got three of these bands in past roulettes; still acceptable since it wasn’t the same song (with one exception, fixed!) and I’m not well-versed in the bands.

For the record, some very cool “favorite lines”.  My favorite: Echolyn, “Past Gravity”, “She’d love to fly, but the sky won’t hold her.”

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: February 06, 2019, 07:35:41 AM »
INDISCIPLINE – 15.5
   Hedwig And The Angry Inch               5.5   2   0   7.5
   A Man Of No Importance – Love Who You Love         6   2   0   8

I really don’t mind musical theater; some of it is really compelling and transcendent.   I liked this, and the lyrics were as powerful as you indicated.   But the first song – I’m assuming that was John Cameron Mitchell – was full of promise that it didn’t deliver.   That end section (“The origin of love…. Woooo!”) just screamed “MEAT LOAF”, but it didn’t have Meat Loaf’s flair or theatrics.    This is why “musical theater” sometimes suffers; in my opinion you need over the top without being too over the top.  If that makes sense.   He (JCM) gave it all he had but it seemed to fall short for me.   I would not say the same for “Love Who You Love”.  I liked that; I don’t know for certain who that is (Roger Rees?), but I liked that.   It got to the heart of things and had the investment that the song needed.  I don’t know that I’d go back to Hedwig, but I’d go for Robin Colcord again (you get a metaphorical point if you get that reference!)

KINGSHMEGLAND  - 15.5
   Echolyn – Past Gravity               6   2   0   8
   The Feeling - Strange               5.5   2   0   7.5

I’ve gotten Echolyn in my other roulette; I thought this was really a beautiful song and a wonderful lyrical idea.  It’s actually a really fine example of how music (how THE music) can really reinforce a lyric or complement a lyric.   This is a truly powerful and moving song (and now the second from that band that falls in that category; added to the list!).    I liked the second one as well; not as much as the a-side but I liked it.  At first I identified with the lyric but thought it a little obvious, but there’s a nugget in there:  the part about “makes them feel they own you better” and that really hit the target (since I have a situation just like that here at home). 

JINGLE.BOY – 16.5
   Hardline – In The Hands Of Time               6.5   2   0   8.5
   Threshold – The Hours                  6   2   0   8

Probably the song I was most looking forward to, once I saw the submissions.    BIG Neal Schon fan, and while I love all the Journey stuff, the fusion stuff, and the early Santana-esque stuff, I think he’s underrated as a ROCK (or “rocking”) guitarist.    He’s got a neat way of adding balls to what would otherwise be schlock in lesser hands.   Not that this is schlock; this is good.  The guy should be in “Runaway”, the local Bon Jovi cover band, he sounds so much like young Jon; that’s a good thing.    The song had me at that soaring chorus:  “Whoa-o-oooooo, o-o-ooooo… Yeah!  It’s in the hands of time!” I could listen to that all day long.  I just might when this roulette is done… Now, the second song; at first it was okay; it’s a band I’ve heard before in my last roulette (and liked the song a lot), and of course I read your comment and I identified with the lyric in question IMMEDIATELY, as I have a similar experience (though different outcomes).   I went back, though, and looked at the lyrics separately, and they REALLY resonated on a couple levels.  That gave new appreciation to the song, and I found myself going back to that song again and again during the listening.  It’s not the song of the round – that’s your other song or TAC’s a-side – but it was the “grower” of the round by a long shot.

TAC – 16.0   
   Armored Saint – Tainted Past            6.5   2   0   8.5
   Loch Vostok – Expiry Date Of The Soul Of Man      5.5   2   0   7.5

Armored Saint; shock of the round.  I can’t exactly say what I was expecting here, but it wasn’t that!   What a pleasant surprise too; VERY melodic (my thing) and John Bush can SING.   I know this is an odd thing, but with the name “Armored Saint” and his work in Anthrax, I always got a sort of “Phil Anselmo” vibe from him; not the racist stuff, but just “METAL UP YOUR ASS!” kind of vibe.  But that was a really poignant song and some really thoughtful phrases in there.   Add that to the sort of “’70’s” vibe of the music (honestly, I thought “Guess Who” at one point) it was a real winner.    The second song was good – and in my opoinon, had the better line; I agree with you on your note – but it didn’t grab me in the same immediate way. It grew on me on repeated listens, but it was at best a decent track.  (GREAT band name, though.)

V-CHLORTHO – 15.0   
   Blue October – Hate Me               5.5   2   0   7.5
   Cowboy Junkies – To Live Is To Fly         5.5   2   0   7.5

Hmmm; two good – not great – songs, with some really poignant thoughts.  I too thought that verse from “Hate Me” was a really vivid way of describing dark impulses without it being salacious.   And I’m a big fan of Margo Timmons, and have been for some time now. My problem is that I like her a lot more than her band.  I’m not the hugest Cowboy Junkies fan, though like anyone from that time, you have to know (or know of) “The Trinity Sessions”.  Problem here is that the songs themselves kind of got swallowed up by their competition.   

ROMDRUMS – 15.5   
   Shattered Skies – You Will Know My Name         5.5   2   0   7.5
   Karnivool                     6   2   0   8

I liked the song; the keyboard hook was really catchy; the verses lost me a little bit, but the chorus was good and I liked how the singer projected that “You Will Know My Name” isn’t exactly a good thing.  He sang it almost like a threat!  That caught me.   Karnivool is another band in my insane world of “preconceived notions”.  I’ve heard them somewhere along the line – second band to be a repeat from a past roulette, but for whatever reason the name conjures up “Insane Clown Posse” nonsense.   (And imagine my surprise when I learned where the name came from…; imagine my additional surprise when I read my writeup for the other song by them and it was almost identical, except with “Five Finger Death Punch” instead of ICP).  Having shared too much there, I’ll say that the song was good. I get that it’s one song, but I don’t hear any of the bands that were mentioned as “contemporaries” in the Wiki article I read, except for Tool.  There’s a hard core Tool vibe in the way the song ebbs and flows, which is really cool (that crescendo at about 4:00 almost made the entire song) and a good thing.   I got almost zero Audioslave or Velvet Revolver, though, which, even though I like those bands, is also a good thing.  About the only thing I didn’t care for was the quivery, Maynard-like aspect to some of the vocals.  Didn’t’ ruin the song, or anything, but prevented it from being transcendent to me.

EVERMIND – 16.0   
   Beyond The Bridge – The Difference Is Human      6   2   0   8
   Beyond The Bridge – All A Man Can Do         6   2   0   8

Well, no one can accuse you of playing it safe!  First time I heard this I thought “WTF!?”.  It seemed like a different song, different tempo, different band, different singer… every 35 seconds.   By the third or fourth time, it just seemed… right.  Same with your quote:  I was like, okay, that’s meaningful, I guess but not really to me.  Then having heard the song, heard that EPIC chorus (“My heart is a ponderer; my soul is a wanderer…”) it just fell into place, and made a lot of sense.  Even to me (though in a different context).   I also liked the way the second song wrapped up the thought in such a satisfying way.   At first I didn’t think the song was quite as good as the first one, but it’s just that the build was slower and more deliberate.   At first I thought It was a vehicle for the idea more than the idea itself, but I think the music came to symbolize the process of deliberation, of realization of the answer.   This was a REALLY good round for you; good stuff here. 

LOWDZ – 15.0
   Giant – I Can’t Let Go               5.5   2   0   7.5
   Danny Vaughn – Is That All There Is         5.5   2   0   7.5

I liked the first song; good singing, good playing, but it didn’t really stick with me.   For all the metal ballads out there, bro!   (I’m joshing with you).  I toyed with giving a half a point for the favorite line being silence, and at first I wasn’t sure where you were talking about, then, like a squeaky wheel, it became something I couldn’t not hear (you didn’t get the point, though. ).  As for Danny Vaughn, I’m familiar with him from Tyketto and being on with Eddie Trunk; I think he’s a really good singer; I just didn’t really dig the song too much.  It had a sort of quasi-country feel to it that didn’t really ring authentic to me.   Again, I like his singing, I just didn’t think this was the best example of it.  I appreciated the sentiment, though.