Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 48085 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
FYI, listening now.  Results as soon as I can, then the cut, then the theme for the first round of the playoffs. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Can I get a mulligan if I get cut and take the spot of one of the three shameful deserters?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I always gave the same amount of listens regardless of when I received. That is unless a song really appealed to me and I wanted to hear it more. But to be fair, everyone got the same number of listens. I would start listening early only to keep the round flowing and results on time.
Pretty much this

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I always gave the same amount of listens regardless of when I received. That is unless a song really appealed to me and I wanted to hear it more. But to be fair, everyone got the same number of listens. I would start listening early only to keep the round flowing and results on time.

All of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

I would give some catch up listens to the stragglers in my roulette, but I wasn't too concerned about making everything perfectly even.  If they really wanted their song to be listened to as much as everyone else's, they wouldn't have sent 2-3 days after everyone else. :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Stadler, I tried replying to your PM, but your inbox is full!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Stadler, I tried replying to your PM, but your inbox is full!

I cleared out some stuff...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Thanks! :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

Stadler, clean out your inbox!!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Trying; half done.  Writing now.  I have my grandson this  weekend, so actually might get it done this weekend (while he's sleeping).  You guys don't care, but I've had an inordinate number of conference calls this week, which means harder to listen (people don't like it when you crank Nightwish while they're talking!).  But I'm done listening, and have written I think 8 of the 14 results.  I'll try to do more tonight and tomorrow. 

I'm so sorry; it's embarassing frankly, but it is what it is.  Got some great songs, though.  High score so far:  7.  Low score so far:  5.5. That's a pretty tight spread. 

Offline romdrums

Clear out another message so I can send a reply to your other PM.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For starters, you're welcome for introducing you to Nightwish - even though it didn't score very well last roulette.   :biggrin:  Secondly, I hear what you mean about too many con calls.  Why the fuck can't people work without me needing to talk to them!   :lol  Third, our first perfect score  :omg:  Kudos to someone.

protip to anyone with a full inbox here ... print the list of messages to a .pdf so you have records of anything you want to keep, then nuke the non-essential stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys don't care, but I've had an inordinate number of conference calls this week, which means harder to listen (people don't like it when you crank Nightwish while they're talking!).  But I'm done listening, and have written I think 8 of the 14 results.  I'll try to do more tonight and tomorrow. 

That didn't seem to stop you from posting like 20 times in the last 3 days in the political threads!

I propose a Government political post Shutdown until the wall is funded Results are posted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
 :lol

I get what Stadler's saying. My new job doesn't allow me much time to listen like I used to, and I'm limited on time in the evenings as far as what kind of media I want to consume, so yeah. Patiently awaiting my... 7? Perfect? Surely my songs get a 7. Right?  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

protip to anyone with a full inbox here ... print the list of messages to a .pdf so you have records of anything you want to keep, then nuke the non-essential stuff.
Tell me more, please....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Tell me more, please....

Well, I'd PM you, but your inbox is probably full.   :lol

Assuming you're using a browser that has .pdf capability (Chrome does), go to your inbox, move back to page 1 of your messages, start to print, but select the option to either print to a .pdf, or change printers to a "Save to pdf" option.  Just google the process (whether Mac or Windows, IE/Chrome/Safari/Firefox... doesn't matter), there's lots of instructions out there.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Kick me out already daddy :wet
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline romdrums

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ve been preaching about creativity now for a while, so no one should have any heartburn about this round.  Two guys took this and ran with it. The round was about “YOU” and they went above and beyond. We met at a truck stop and, well, thank god for all of us there isn’t video.   No, I’m kidding; but they did go above and beyond and sent me songs that THEY created (point: they are not on the banned list!).   I’m going to honestly critique them, but their score is going to reflect the boldness of that move.   

This is it: top eight move on, the rest… I guess they move on too in a different direction. 

For the record, absent “bans”, had I been given the theme, I would have sent “Tonight” by Ozzy, and either “Evidence of Autumn” by Genesis or “Drops Of Jupiter” by Train.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #5!!!
« Reply #688 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
NEKOV – 14.5
   John Wesley – Out  Of Your League         5   2   0   7
   John Wesley – Last Man By Your Side         5.5   2   0   7.5

This should have been a no-brainer submission.  Really liked his work with Fish – Fellini Days isn’t my favorite, but I was really excited by that following the really disappointing Raingods CD – and I’m pretty sure I saw him with Fish at least once, and I’ve seen him open for Marillion twice now.  And it really pains me to say this, but… it’s a little boring.   Not the right word, but it just seems so bland to me.  At first I assumed the subject matter of the first song but it seemed to be something different, and I had a hard time relating that to you.   The second was more self-explanatory, but it still took a lot of assumptions to relate to the theme.  I’m sorry if it sounds mean or rude, but compared to some of the responses I got, I’m having a hard time in giving too much credit for creativity here.  I’m sorry.         

INDISCIPLINE – 17.0
   The Last Five Years – Moving Too Fast         6   2   0.5   8.5
   The Last Five Years – Still Hurting            6   2   0.5   8.5

With all due respect and sympathy for the connection to you, I was really sucked in by this and want to go and dig into the rest of the story, to see if the conceit (the crossing time lines) holds together. I gave them both sixes, but I liked them for very different reasons.  I loved the rollicking, story-telling aspect of the first song, just oozing happiness and hope and, maybe, a little denial.   I also loved the somber, real, maybe even a little bitter lament of the second song, especially the repeated “what about…?” questioning.  Really good songs and I thank you for sharing.

KINGSHMEGLAND  - 17.0
   Fernando Perdomo – We Were Raised With Headphones On      6   2   0.5   8.5
   Spock’s Beard – She Is Everything               6   2   0.5   8.5

Wow, I’ve never heard of Fernando Perdomo before, but a little research quickly told me that I should have.   I really liked this song a lot.   Kind of hit close to home, frankly.   Plus you get bonus credit for the Kiss connection (“Dreaming In Stereo” was slated to be managed by Bill Aucoin, the guy that basically “discovered” Kiss) and the Beatles connection (recorded at Abbey Road).  Not the hugest Spock’s Beard fan, and less so with no Neal Morse, but I liked this song a lot.  Great guitar solo for sure (I think you noted that) and I LOVE that pun at the end:  “A promise… a ring and a prayer.”

JINGLE.BOY – 17.5
   Ostura - Deathless               6.5   2   1   9.5
   Thought Chamber – Breath Of Life            5.5   2   0.5   8

You had me at “Rise up, we’re the brave!”  That’s an epic chorus right there (Firewings: that’s what I was thinking about when I wrote about the “angle”).   Now, I know we’re all sick and tired of the plethora of Lebanese-American cinematic prog bands, but there’s room for a band that names itself “Legend” in Arabic!   Seriously, I don’t mock, because the song I heard lived up to the promise.   The second song was good, but it was – unfortunately – something of a letdown after the Ostura; this round I did something different and listened out of order even by submission (I have  always listened in pairs till now) and unfortunately for you that feeling didn’t go away.  I think it was the vocals.  It seemed to need that epic vocal sweep to go along with the guitar and it wasn’t there (for me).  I’m reluctant to share too much about the personal side of the submissions out of respect for people’s privacy, but let me just say that the material you sent earned that “1”, the only one I gave outside of the arrogant assholes that sent their own music.  (I’m kidding!) 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: January 28, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
:fistpump:

I’m reluctant to share too much about the personal side of the submissions out of respect for people’s privacy, but let me just say that the material you sent earned that “1”, the only one I gave outside of the arrogant assholes that sent their own music.  (I’m kidding!) 

No worries there my friend.  For those that care (or even if you don't), I shared a list of my 'rules of life' with Stads, #1 being "No matter what you do, unless you die, life goes on"; and #2 being "The only thing you *have* to do is breathe".  Both of which (along with another life philosophy of mine) tie in to my submissions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
TAC – 17.5   
Anthrax –Bare               6.5   2   0.5   9
   UFO – Timothy               6   2   0.5   8.5

I really, REALLY liked the Anthrax song.  I’m not a huge fan of theirs at all, and honestly can’t name one John Bush song of theirs, but this really hit home (and I really liked the setup; you’re not kidding, the first song DOES set the tone for the second).   If you played me “Bare” and said “who is this?” I wouldn’t have guessed Anthrax in 200 guesses.  This was really good, nuanced, and with feel (all things I think Anthrax is missing).   As for the UFO; I’ve heard nightmares about the “space rock” of the first two albums, and since I’m not going to see the “Mick Bolton Group” this spring with his original singers, it kind of scared me off.  But I liked that song.  Not as much as the first one, but it had a real early “Kiss” feel that I could get into.  I might have to check some of that stuff out.  Plus kudos for having a song named after you.     

FIREWINGS/KATTLEOX – 16.0
Power Quest – Better Days            5.5   2   0.5   8
   Power Quest – Children Of The Dream         5.5   2   0.5   8

I can so relate to having “that song” that gets you through. Kind of an anthem of sorts, right?   Mine is probably “Sole Survivor” by Asia. Not going to lie: the music is good – pretty good – but not great; I don’t mind the production or what some would say is “cheese” or “shine” – hell, I LOVE Night Ranger and even latter day Cheap Trick.   It just didn’t have the angle that grabbed me and said “HEY! Listen to this!”  Again, though that’s not to say it’s bad, and I’m sure with more than a week of listening, it might have found it’s way dug in.   So in short, good, solid, if not unremarkable.

V-CHLORTHO – 16.5   
Marah In The Mainsail – The Traveling Man         5.5   2   0.5   8
   Marah In The Mainsail – Bone Crown         6   2   0.5   8.5

As an aside, “names” and “titles” mean something to me.  I hate dumb band names or overly cute names (for some reason “Death Cab For Cutie” gets under my skin, as do the rash of bands with semi-random “adjective, adjective, noun”, like “Olivia Tremor Control” or “Neural Milk Hotel”).   I like EPIC.  “Led Zeppelin”.   “Iron Maiden”.  So it’s with respect that I say “Marah In The Mainsail” is cool AF.  I liked the first song a lot, but I really really grew to like the second song.  This band is also described all over the internet as “cinematic”; the difference between them and “Ostura” must be “Minneapolis” vs. “Lebanon”, but whatever; the songs were evocative,  none moreso than the second one.  I technically liked the first one better, but the second was a real piece of art and so got a half point bump.  Thank you for your explanation (I would have gotten the first song, not the second; please don’t burn my forest to the ground!).

ROMDRUMS – 19.0   
Ice Fish – Human Hardware         6   2   1   9
   Romdrums – Case Study            7   2   1   10

I’ll start right off and say I’m a little iffy on the first track; not because I don’t like it, or because it’s bad, but because I don’t know where it falls relative to the second song, or a completely “third party” song.  In any event, the performance is strong, and I like that you’ve put yourself out there.   Now, the second song…  let me be clear: the score is largely based on the creativity of sharing your art.  But having said that, I really dug that second song.  You referred to samples of ELP and Floyd, and to be honest, I still can’t find them, but I really like the Gabriel/Tool feel of that song.   I’m not the hugest Tool fan, but I like them (and have all their records) but the part I like best of Tool is the intangible; I LOVE LOVE LOVE the post-Thrak Crimson, which is very heavily influenced by Tool (or should I say, a focus by Fripp on those elements that influenced Tool).  I think a lot of people think “Gabriel” and  focus on the WOMAD and Sting-related hipster activist pop (you know what I mean:  U2, REM, Sting, Collins, Gabriel… the 80’s/90’s politically aware rock).  But there’s a dark metal vibe to some of Gabriel’s work that came through in Bruce Dickinson’s solo work (he has a “lost album” around the time of Balls To Picasso that he calls “the Gabriel album”) and in some of Tool’s work, and that’s a big part of this song.  I would listen to this outside of a roulette, and that’s high praise (not from me, but in general).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: January 28, 2019, 01:14:08 PM »
PUPPIES ON ACID – 16.5   
Tomorrow’s Bad Seeds – Rollin’             5.5   2   0.5   8
   Silversun Pickups – Growing Old Is Getting Old      6   2   0.5   8.5

Unreasonable position, I know, but I have zero interest in the SoCal reggae-rock, ska scene (never saw the allure of Sublime, and thought it bo-ring) and a very skeptical eye towards the “jam band” scene.  I LOVE The Allman’s, and I’ve come to love certain sections of the Dead’s catalogue (basically everything post-Pigpen and pre-Brent), and have an affinity for Blues Travelor.  But some of the other progeny, I have a hard time with.  I was in a Phish phase for a while, but they were too hipster for me.  I say that because  while I get the provenance of TSB, I  kept hearing Blues Travelor in the song, and while that elevated it a little bit, it still was the side of BT that I like least.  SIlversun Pickups; I have one record by them – Neck of the Woods – and like it, not love it.  I liked this a fair amount.  I dig her vocals, and like the build of the song.    And certainly I can get behind the sentiment of the song (as I sit here stretching my back from sitting for all of an hour and a half).   

EVERMIND – 16.0   
Riverside – Discard Your Fear            5.5   2   0.5   8
   Seventh Wonder – Beyond Today (Farewell, Pt. 3)      5.5   2   0.5   8

First time I heard this I thought “Marillion!”.  Funny enough, according to the Wiki page, the band was formed from the ashes of metal bands, gelling around a love for Marillion specifically (and prog in general).  While I have an affinity for any band from Poland (my dad spoke Polish as a kid) that only goes so far.   The song is good, but it’s not the part of Marillion I love best; it’s more the “Radiohead” side of Marillion, which I can do without (though there’s another band that I’m reminded of, I just can’t place them).   I liked the second song; I  feel like it’s listening to “Lavender” (to continue the Marillion theme), that is, a song that works far better as a part of a bigger work, but it’s a good song and (to your note) the singer is very evocative.   I liked this, but perhaps there were songs in the round I liked better.  I do appreciate you sharing with me, though, and I get the connection. 

WOLFKING – 16.5
W.A.S.P. – Animal               5.5   2   0.5   8
   Dream Evil – The Book Of Heavy Metal         6   2   0.5   8.5

Got to at least give you props for having a set of nads.    What audacity to send “Animal: F*&^ Like A Beast” for a song about you.  Full disclosure, I’ve heard that before, though not in years, and even then it was in passing, so I let it go.   Actually, schlock notwithstanding, that held up pretty good.  I love Blackie’s voice and sometimes wish he would tone it the fuck down a little (does he have any material that’s not over the top? Serious question, because I’d be into it).  I’m a Kiss fan, so there’s no need to be embarrassed by the music I like but I do sort of take the position that if you have to TELL someone you f*** like a beast, maybe your partners aren’t in full agreement! (I’m busting on you).   Now the second song; WTF. It starts right off with a shriek of “METAL!” Can’t go anywhere but down from there!   Actually the song was good; the singer sort of has a Klaus Meine feel to him, and while the chorus blew (a growled “The Book Of Heavy Metal”) the song was good and I loved the “metal!” thrown in as a reminder.

SCORPION – 0.0
DNF                        0   0   0   0
   DNF                        0   0   0   0

I feel like I don’t know you any better after this round than before.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: January 28, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
SACUL – 15.0
Beth Gibbons – Mysteries               5.5   2   0   7.5
   Beth Gibbons – Romance               5.5   2   0   7.5

Hmmm.    While not the favorite of the round, they did grow on me the most.  I Iiked Mysteries right out the gate, but the vocal bugged me (I don’t really like when the vocal is hot on the mic and you can hear the pops and clicks and breaths; I know in certain circles that’s cred, but I don’t like it).   But the song is strong, and the subject matter seems to lend itself to that approach.  The second song…  I listened to it once and was like “can I REALLY give ‘zero’? I gave a ‘seven’, it’d be only fitting!”.   The vocal affect was a real turnoff (in the same way the vocal treatment of the intro to “Bring It On Home” by Zeppelin is really off-putting).  I went back to a live version that was still very jazzy, very mood-centered, and the song clicked a little bit with the more subtle vocai.  I can’t really say how the songs apply to you, personally, but I like this kind of music generally, and though I’m not the hugest fan of Portishead, I liked this for what it is (doesn’t help you, though, that I’ve been on a DT kick lately).

HOME – 17.0
Mew – Comforting Sounds            6   2   0.5   8.5
   Mew – Am I Wrong?               6   2   0.5   8.5

I really really liked these songs.    I don’t recall having heard them before (though I think I’m wrong on that) but it was a pleasant surprise; your underwhelming write up maybe had something to do with that.  (Haha, I’m kidding).  I liked the way that both songs built and I liked how the vocals sat on the music.  This was pretty enjoyable. 

ELITE – 18.0
Shadow Gallery – Destination Unknown            5.5   2   0.5   8
   Overhaul – Pastels                  7   2   1   10

I only know Shadow Gallery from the Magna Carta prog tribute records (I just listened to “Working Man” last night in the truck).   It was good, but fairly unremarkable.   Now for the second song… I really dug that.   The intro, that middle instrumental break, and the solo were absolutely top notch.    Honestly, the vocals sort of struck me in a quasi-Charlie Dominici way – meaning, good, but there’s clearly another level to be had – though they really worked well coming out of that instrumental break/solo section.    All in all, I appreciate you sharing your art with me, and I am most definitely going to check out the rest of it if I can. 

LOWDZ – 17.0
Vain – Beat The Bullet               5.5   2   0.5   8
   Nightwish – Ghost Love Score            6.5   2   0.5   9

I think if I was given a batch of songs and told to “match them to the people in your roulette”, the Vain song would’ve been the first one, and it would have been to you.   Perfect submission as far as I’m concerned.  I also agree with you on the “depth” comment; if you think about it (and I’ve been accused of “overthinking” things before) that’s a great, bittersweet concept:   “I get down on my knees, and pray to the Lord that I beat the bullet”.   You’re not now nor ever will “beat the bullet”, and so does that speak to the futility of God? Prayer?  Or man? You really nailed it with the Nightwish, though.   Jingle (I think) sent Nightwish in a previous roulette and it did not connect, but, by sheer coincidence, someone here posted that song – same version (your link went to the live version) - at another site and I listened and I was just blown away.   I have no context, no dog in the “Tarja/Floor” fight, and haven’t heard the Tarja version, but this live piece just smoked.   I love female vocals like this and in my opinion, she just nails this.  Plus, again, no context, but in the video, Floor is quite the looker, and yeah, that matters (at least to me).  EPIC!     

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #693 on: January 28, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
Kade  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 28, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
Of course you all know this is the cut round, we now enter the Chase of Champions!   Top eight, cut to four, cut to two, and a winner.   

I was thinking about releasing the final results in pieces, but not knowing when anyone would read it, that's almost impossible. So here are the final standings:

So the top eight are in, the rest, I deeply appreciate you participating and sharing with me.  I have a nice list of music that I have to dig into over the next few weeks or so, and I'm excited for that.   

Next round theme coming shortly (as in within the next couple hours, tops). 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #695 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
Hey TAC and jingle, looks like we're neck and neck in this roulette as well.   :metal :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
Poor Tom... Leading after the first round, then pulled an Earnhardt Sr.  What, too soon?

So the top eight are in, the rest, I deeply appreciate you participating and sharing with me.  I have a nice list of music that I have to dig into over the next few weeks months or so, and I'm excited for that.   

Fix'd that for ya - I'm still working thru the A-list submissions from my roulette.

Next round theme coming shortly (as in within the next couple hours, tops).

So, Friday then?  :neverusethis:

Hey TAC and jingle, looks like we're neck and neck in this roulette as well.   :metal :tup

Here's hoping I'm not column fodder in this one too!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
Weird Riverside pick too
Comforting Sounds deserves a 10/10 tbh but that's an acceptable score

Offline Lethean

« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
Evermind, Discard Your Fear is awesome - don't listen to Stadler. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: January 28, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
Plus kudos for having a song named after you.     

You would've had my full name but Ozzy is banned. :lol