Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 48938 times)

Offline Lowdz

Sent.
Not sure how Stads will go on these but I’ve sent anyway

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll send something in 24 hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Stadler said “Sammy”, Home said… nothing.

What... Nicky Spanjaards counts as nothing?  :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Lethean, when I saw the theme of Roth vs Hagar, I honestly had no idea what to do.

But it's just a theme.

You could send two songs with the word Diamond in them.
You could send a band with the word Red in them.
You could send a band that had two singers.

My first thought was to find a musician that played with both, and send two songs by that person, but I couldn't find anyone.

I ended up going the band with two singers route. But the general breakdown of the debate is which do you prefer, the vocalist with style and character, or the vocalist that is more technically proficient. I was lucky enough to know a band that replaced their first singer who was a distinct character with a singer that that was techncally more talented.

I think Stadler was hoping that for example, whatever two songs someone sends, it would clearly tell him who they preferred in the DLR/Sammy debate. I think that's hard to convey, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I considered the 'diamond' vs 'red' route too... sending a song/band that had a precious gem in the name, and a band/song that had a color in the name.  Honestly, there are numerous paths to matching the theme... and also the creativity point.  I went with Sieges Even / Subsignal because instead of 1 band with 2 different leading members, I went with 1 group of leading members with 2 different bands.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

TAC - that explains it very well. :) Thank you.

I guess I've always thought of them both as "characters" so that distinction didn't occur to me, but then I'm not a fan and didn't know that that was what the debate was.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I didn't do a singer change, but a whole-band-except-the-singer change. Thought that was quite a fun way to do this round. Unfortunately, in this case it doesn't work if that singer's voice puts you off.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TAC - that explains it very well. :) Thank you.

I guess I've always thought of them both as "characters" so that distinction didn't occur to me, but then I'm not a fan and didn't know that that was what the debate was.

Sammy is a character for sure. And there are plenty of people that prefer the Sammy era.

And I truly hate to sound like a dink, but I think if you could've experienced the DLR years in real time, it is easy to see that the Sammy years lacked so much character compared to the DLR years. The band really became neutered at that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I always felt the DLR years were more sizzle than steak.  Not that the steak wasn't great, but the pomp and circumstance of Diamond Dave cast a bit of a shadow on the music.  The Van Hagar years were more just about straight-forward hard rock 'n' roll.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Van Hagar was b-o-r-i-n-g.

It was nice enough and there are plenty of cool songs, but the DLR era was spontaneous, fun, and interesting. What Eddie was doing on those albums was amazing. Even Alex's playing calmed down quite a bit. I just felt that they were musically a machine. They stood alone. After Sammy joined, they were just another band.

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

It was nice enough and there are plenty of cool songs, but the DLR era was spontaneous, fun, and interesting. What Eddie was doing on those albums was amazing. Even Alex's playing calmed down quite a bit. I just felt that they were musically a machine. They stood alone. After Sammy joined, they were just another band.

TASTES!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
van halen was always meh regardless of the era  :corn

I don't listen to hard rock like them so ignore my opinion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Like I said in the recent Van Halen poll, I had to play the Van Halen songs I wasn't sure I knew, and sure enough they're all Van Hagar songs. Doesn't sound like Van Halen at all (in a bad way). As big a cornball as he is, Roth >>> Hagar for my taste.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
van halen was always meh regardless of the era  :corn

I don't listen to hard rock like them so ignore my opinion

Did you say something?

Offline Lethean

I agree with the winner of my roulette.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
To be fair most of the VH I do know comes from the guitar hero game which was all DLR if I remember correctly

Not one of the GH games I played that much, to be blunt

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is Guitar Hero still a thing?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not even 30 and I feel old as hell reading 'most of the Van Halen I know comes from Guitar Hero'  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Is Guitar Hero still a thing?
nope this game is like 10 years old now lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stadler's Roulette, Ver. 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #1
« Reply #615 on: January 15, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Hate quoting myself, but this is for Lethean:

So.  I love roulettes, but the part where I have to tell someone a song they love or an idea they had doesn’t work is hard for me.  I well and truly believe my opinion doesn’t mean crap, and that it’ more important that someone be passionate about their music than whether I agree with it or not.  So the good thing is I can play “good cop” and have others play “bad cop”: 

Sending songs from 1985 should net zero creativity points.

Haha.  This was a good round, for the most part.  I’m going to keep the write-ups brief, in large part because I’ve already written on the “theme” part.  I decided to give the full one point in creativity to the submission that really hit home (plus one other that was very close), and a half a point to the ones that went beyond the obvious, and for the rest?  See above.  Couple songs tested my resolve, but I tried to have an open mind and find the good where I could.

The theme for that was "Stadler graduates high school".  I graduated in 1985.   Songs from 1985 did, in fact, net zero creativity points.    But someone blew the theme out of the water and, as he said, "went deep". 

Look, I generally try to value other people's opinions, and certainly, every single person in this roulette to be someone whose opinion I do value. Some of it is limited to music, because I don't know them well enough, but others, it's clear, there's a sort of bond.  So I want to give these guys something to dig into (to the degree they want to).  Some are, some aren't, and that's fine.   Look, great songs and just sticking to the theme will likely get you into the playoffs.  But if you want to go for the gold, there's an opportunity to do it.

Even though no one got the Sammy/Dave thing, there were still people that put a lot of thought and effort in, and I hope they had fun doing it, because it was certainly appreciated by me, and so even if you didn't get a ton of points, you can go to sleep at night knowing you made someone's day better than it would have been otherwise. 

Offline Lethean

That's cool Stadler - and I got the part about people using creativity to try to interpret the different themes.  I was just wondering what that specific thing was that you had in mind for the Sammy/Dave thing - I was curious especially since I was participating in a way.  I think TAC explained that part pretty well for me (unless of course you think his explanation was wrong :P). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
That's cool Stadler - and I got the part about people using creativity to try to interpret the different themes.  I was just wondering what that specific thing was that you had in mind for the Sammy/Dave thing - I was curious especially since I was participating in a way.  I think TAC explained that part pretty well for me (unless of course you think his explanation was wrong :P).

Nope, he nailed it. 

And for your benefit, not every round has that.   This one doesn't; though given my natural curiosity and genuine affection for many of the people in the roulette, it'd be a bonus to learn something, but I respect everyone's right - especially on the interwebs - to not be airing their dirty laundry in a poorly run (no, Stadler, it's not poorly run!) roulette. 

In the three playoff rounds, though, who knows!  Got to step up your game! :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

TASTES!!

I understand (not really) how someone might prefer the Sammy era. It's pretty safe and down the middle. But I would be truly shocked if any of those people were actually around for the DLR era.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

TASTES!!

I understand (not really) how someone might prefer the Sammy era. It's pretty safe and down the middle. But I would be truly shocked if any of those people were actually around for the DLR era.
I prefer the Sammy era, and I was indeed not around during the DLR era.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

TASTES!!

I prefer the Sammy era, and I was indeed not around during the DLR era.

Wasn't jingle?  And Indiscipline? 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm 4 years TAC's junior.  I caught the tail end of DLR era. Initially, I thought Van Hagar was a dud and toast, but then when I started really listening to that version of VH after OU812, I just found the writing to be more ... intelligent?  I dunno, I just felt the DLR era had a lot of laziness.  Too many covers (2 on Diver Down), some totally uneventful tunes (Happy Trails), and more than a few duds.  I just thought song-for-song, the Hagar era was far more consistent.  Didn't have the highs/hits of the Roth era, but there aren't many songs of the Hagar albums that I don't like.  There's lots from Roth era that I couldn't give 2 shits about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm 4 years TAC's junior.

Really? You look pretty rough for 30! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm 4 years TAC's junior.

Really? You look pretty rough for 30! :lol

Your cell phone case on your belt gives your age away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd put it in my front pocket but there's um...no room. ;D :hat

I hate having shit in my pockets. My wallet is literally a 1/2 inch thick.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My wallet is the opposite and I have to hold it or get my girlfriend to carry it in her bag.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm 4 years TAC's junior.  I caught the tail end of DLR era. Initially, I thought Van Hagar was a dud and toast, but then when I started really listening to that version of VH after OU812, I just found the writing to be more ... intelligent?  I dunno, I just felt the DLR era had a lot of laziness.  Too many covers (2 on Diver Down), some totally uneventful tunes (Happy Trails), and more than a few duds.  I just thought song-for-song, the Hagar era was far more consistent.  Didn't have the highs/hits of the Roth era, but there aren't many songs of the Hagar albums that I don't like.  There's lots from Roth era that I couldn't give 2 shits about.

But here's why TAC is right as rain:  in real time, it wasn't "lazy" it was cool as shit. Get in, kick ass, and get out.   I don't think I was at a party my senior year or freshman year of college that didn't have SOME Van Halen on at some point.  "Have you seen Junior's grades?" sounds dopey now, but it was cool as crap then.  We even had, during a "talent show", a band come out and mime to two Van Halen songs for no other reason than the "singer" could do the split thing, and he and the light guy did the whole "C'mon Dave, gimme a break"... "One break, comin' up!" thing.   

Ozzy and Rush were guy bands.  Def Leppard and Bon Jovi were more... female friendly.   There wasn't a guy in my high school that didn't think Ozzy, Bruce or Rob would kick Jon (no one spelled it with no 'h' then) and/or Joe's ass.    VH was almost unique in that they appealed to BOTH.   Chicks wanted to be with Diamond Dave, and guys wanted to BE Diamond Dave.   I get it though; Dave is a little like a pineapple; sweet as wine when fresh, but goes stale quick and isn't good when soggy and brown.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can confirm. One band my parents 100% agree on is Van Halen.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Seriously who didn't have one of these scribbled on the brown bag text book cover?