Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 48024 times)

Offline Lethean

So, Stadler - what did you have in mind for the theme?  Just curious.  Because I likely would have assumed you were looking for songs released in 1985, and clearly I'd have been wrong.

Btw - I would encourage you not to get so hung up on the Queensryche thing.  They were indeed hugely influential and a straight up clone wouldn't work for me so much either... But there are a lot of great bands who probably sound a little like Queensryche.  Or a little like Rush, etc.  They're still probably worth your time exploring.

(And if you want totally original - I sent you Leprous in your last roulette.  They didn't fare so well but it was one song.  Maybe something else will catch your ear, and they won't remind you of QR. :P)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I went with his mindset in 1985 to where he is today.  I read his posts.  Got to know him personally and tied in some to fit my theme with my knowledge of his life.

I went for it. It's not linear.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Some of these I have very specific ideas (like the current one) and some I don't.   To be honest, themes are hard when there is a creativity element to it, since some are just so - like King says - "linear".   I didn't really have anything in mind with "1985" - actually, the high school was what I was thinking about more - and I just wanted to see what people had to offer.   I just love that I'm getting stuff that I have never heard before and would likely never seek out on my own.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I simply did not want to send songs from 1985. If so, I would've sent a couple tracks from Misdemeanor. I still almost sent one.

I wanted to send Let's Get Crazy Again though. To me, that will always be my "go to" high school party tune. Sometimes, it's less about winning, and more about sharing.
While I was hoping to send some Alice Cooper at some point in this roulette, I wouldn't have thought of ever sending something from Constrictor. But given the theme, I liked the Back To School connection.

Some of these I have very specific ideas (like the current one) and some I don't. 

I'd be interested as to what specifically you were thinking about the DLR/Sammy round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Sent!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lowdz

Damn, I was hoping to send Magnum at some point, and I thought Gary Moore would be banned. You didn’t exactly sell GM there Kade😀

haha, the burn continues.  I know know, I like it though, what can I say.

It’s not a terrible song by any means.

Offline Lowdz

Sent. Just hoping I picked the right songs

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Sent!

And I'm alive!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I sent two good songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I understand your comment, but am curious about which line you are talking  :biggrin:

And I sometimes think that way about artists like Lorde; there’s a sort of dichotomy between the lyrics and the life that’s hard to reconcile.
She still has more experience in what she's singing about than bands like Iron Maiden singing about war :p

Will try to send today!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I understand your comment, but am curious about which line you are talking  :biggrin:

And I sometimes think that way about artists like Lorde; there’s a sort of dichotomy between the lyrics and the life that’s hard to reconcile.
She still has more experience in what she's singing about than bands like Iron Maiden singing about war :p

HAHA, that is a GREAT point.  I can't argue that even one little bit!   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey Stadler, between songs for this roulette, go check my thread and send me yours :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• DTF.org Member
Hey Stadler, between songs for this roulette, go check my thread and send me yours :hat
Subtle  ;)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking for...  Romdrums, Wolfking, Sacul, Scorpion, Home, and Elite.

Couple songs I'm really looking forward to digging into (and I'm going to start listening today regardless of whether the full slate is in).

Funny enough, the idea I had in my head no one (to date) has even hinted at. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
They both hate Eddie!  AMIRITE?! LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

Will send this weekend.  Super busy with EOY business and a family trip.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I haven't listened to anything either of both the guys on the theme have done so I'll just send something  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will send something completely fucking random in about an hour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

2 songs with Red or Diamond in the title?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if I can send the same song twice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just threw this thing and sent the same song twice. Not even mad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, no reason to be mad. :lol

• DTF.org Member

2 songs with Red or Diamond in the title?
My original idea was to send something by Willie Nelson and something by King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think he got Mercyful Fate last round.

My first idea was to find a musician that played with both of them, but I couldn't.

• DTF.org Member
I think he got Mercyful Fate last round.

My first idea was to find a musician that played with both of them, but I couldn't.
Should have sent Beat It and that LL Cool J song that Eddie Van Halen played on.... :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Will you tell WTF you were looking for? 'cause I can't believe I hadn't even hinted at it with mine, I thought I was spot on! You're so cryptic  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Will you tell WTF you were looking for? 'cause I can't believe I hadn't even hinted at it with mine, I thought I was spot on! You're so cryptic  :lol

Ditto... though I made my submissions in a slightly different lens.  My thought was that he wanted one band that had two different singers (or guitarists or drummers or ...).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Ditto... though I made my submissions in a slightly different lens.  My thought was that he wanted one band that had two different singers (or guitarists or drummers or ...).

Yep, I sent Kamelot.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I sent something, with some delay due to bad real life circumstances.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yep, I sent Kamelot.

I'd considered something around Roy/Tommy.

@Elite... hopefully nothing too serious?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Unfortunately, yes, something serious, but not something unexpected. I don’t really wish to go in detail here, but thank you for asking :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I also thought it was one band, two singers and considered Kamelot as well. I chose Angra in the eleventh hour.