Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 47983 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea which is mine, but perhaps you guys can help me out. True to the theme with the song titles, I sent:

Balance of Power - Walking on Top of the World
Evergrey - King of Errors
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
-
-
scorpion

I figured that was pretty obvious.

In the spirit of showing our hand....

Moon Safari / Too Young To Say Goodbye
Gowan / Criminal Mind

@ Ev... could be any number of a handful.  I'd like to believe it's the Deep Purple / breakdown and buy a record comment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I believe this is mine.

- Never judge a book by it’s cover, especially when the cover shows a pretentious, ironic douchebag!
- Incredibly moving; I can’t even make jokes about this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Gowan / Criminal Mind

Nice take on the theme.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline romdrums

In the spirit of sharing I sent:

In the Presence of Wolves: Man of the Times (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7p2rHaqdk)
The Panic Division: Photograph (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QdPCdbMlu8)

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I sent

Ben Folds Five - Battle Of Who Could Care Less   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y1wm7CFRCQ
The Avett Brothers - No Hard Feelings          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaU2HvRhCPw
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Gowan / Criminal Mind

Nice take on the theme.

Criminal Mind had the added bonus of being released in '85.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh God, I have NO IDEA which one could be mine! :lol

Neither, apparently, do Nekov, Elite or Puppies.  :)   :)  :)

:lol

If that's not it then maybe it's the one Elite quoted. I didn't pick that one because I don't think the second song is as good as the impression implies.

Since we are at it

Bend Sinister - Teacher
Bend Sinister - Seventeen

This song is awesome. Not sure where Satriani and Toto come in though  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The intro has some nice guitar licks.

:dunno:

It was more along the lines of thinking that few/none of the others seemed to fit.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
I sent Nevermore - "A Future Uncertain" and "Insignificant"

Not sure what quote applies to them but I know a few that aren't right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Alright:

Beardfish - Seventeen Again
Gamma Ray - It's A Sin (Pet Shop Boys Cover)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I sent:

Alice Cooper-The Great American Success Story
Jack Starr-Let's Get Crazy Again
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I sent

Q5 Missing In Action

Mercyful Fate- A Dangerous Meeting

I think I see a couple of those quotes that could refer to mine 😀

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
-
-
scorpion
I was kind of hoping that was mine and Stadler thought the songs were so good he was left speechless.... :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lowdz

I’m thinking this is me. 😀

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stadler's Roulette, Ver. 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #1
« Reply #471 on: December 31, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
So.  I love roulettes, but the part where I have to tell someone a song they love or an idea they had doesn’t work is hard for me.  I well and truly believe my opinion doesn’t mean crap, and that it’ more important that someone be passionate about their music than whether I agree with it or not.  So the good thing is I can play “good cop” and have others play “bad cop”: 

Sending songs from 1985 should net zero creativity points.

Haha.  This was a good round, for the most part.  I’m going to keep the write-ups brief, in large part because I’ve already written on the “theme” part.  I decided to give the full one point in creativity to the submission that really hit home (plus one other that was very close), and a half a point to the ones that went beyond the obvious, and for the rest?  See above.  Couple songs tested my resolve, but I tried to have an open mind and find the good where I could.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
NEKOV – 16.5
   Bend Sinister - Teacher            6   2   0.5   8.5
   Bend Sinister - Seventeen         5.5   2   0.5   8

I love Deep Purple.  I love this.
Every song I hear from them I like a little more than the one before; when do I break down and buy one of their records?

Yeah, that keyboard/drums intro to “Teacher” just screamed “Lord/Paice” to me, and while the rest cut new ground, it was a good start in my opinion.   “Seventeen” didn’t really have the strong melody of “Teacher”, but it was still musically good; vocally it smacked a little too much of the Rush’s first album, which is both good and bad.   This is a band I’ve heard a lot about and for a while now.   A gentleman that posts here has been touting them since 2012 or so, and everything I hear I like.  I think it might be time to buy into their catalogue a little bit.   Thematically, you got close. 

INDISCIPLINE – 14.5
   Vandenberg – This Is War            4.5   2   0.5   7
   Vandenberg – Waiting For The Night         5   2   0.5   7.5

If songwriting is an art, then this is somewhere between stick figures and finger painting.
I remember this being so much better.

I feel bad.   “Burning Heart” was an MTV staple, and of course I’m familiar with Adje Van den Berg (if you haven’t already go out RIGHT NOW, and find “Starkers In Tokyo”, the acoustic record David Coverdale and Adrian did; it is unbelievably good).    I was hoping this would be a win across the board, but unfortunately, it’s not.    As I said (not about the tune, but the band itself), I just remember it being so much better.    Waiting… is slightly better than the “…War”, but still.   Music doesn’t HAVE to match the words; some of the best songs in the world have lyrics that are seriously ironic compared to the music (“The One I Love” by REM, “Every Breath You Take” by The Police), but having lyrics about “war” and music that might be about, oh, bubble gum, isn’t ironic, it’s just silly.   All is not lost, since Adrian can play guitar like a mofo, but there’s a reason he left Bert Heerink to his own devices and joined up the Whitesnake machine.   Thematically, though, I liked what you wrote about taking inspiration (funny story: my stepson threw a Halloween party a couple years ago, and one kid went as Marty McFly, and I swear to god, I wore his exact outfit to school just about every single day). 

KINGSHMEGLAND  - 18.5
   Ben Folds Five – Battle Of Who Could Care Less         6.5   2   1   9.5
   The Avett Brothers – No Hard Feelings            6   2   1   9

Never judge a book by it’s cover, especially when the cover shows a pretentious, ironic douchebag!
Incredibly moving; I can’t even make jokes about this.

Everything about Ben Folds screams “PRETENTIOUS HIPSTER DOUCHEBAG!” but I saw him on Live At Daryl’s House and my whole opinion changed.  The guys the real deal, and he’s got great chops.  He even asked Daryl to play a song from “Sacred Songs”, the basically forgotten album Daryl did with Robert Fripp (and forever jaded Daryl to the music business).   This song was right along that line; the verses are sort of quippy, the lyrics slightly hipsterish (the Rockford Files IS cool, fucker!) but the chorus just takes this song into the stratosphere.   If I didn’t know better, I’d think that McCartney himself was playing the bass on this.  In terms of subject matter, that was a big part of my senior year and first year of college; knowing that I wanted more, that I didn’t want to be what we called a “townie”, but feeling conflicted about that.   The second song, well, there’s not really much I can write to do it justice.   That’s just a moving song that really sums it up nicely: without saying too much, I’ve had to work hard to make sure my circumstances didn’t get the better of me, and one of my biggest breakthroughs was just realizing that there just shouldn’t be any (metaphorical) hard feelings. This submission really moved me, and I am deeply thankful to King for that.   

JINGLE.BOY – 15.5
   Moon Safari – Too Young To Say Goodbye      5.5   2   0.5   8
   Gowan – Criminal Mind               5   2   0.5   7.5

This is just f*****g excellent.   But when did Joe Satriani join Toto?
I don’t know what to make of this; in five listens this is either going to be AWESOME, or, well, not.

“A Kid Called Panic” is better, but this is a good tune.  I liked the vocal harmonies best; the verses were a shade too “Toto” for me (and that’s not a diss on Toto, but they are so good that sometimes the vocals seem relatively bland in comparison, and so are almost a distraction).   Moon Safari is another band I might start digging into.   I like what I hear.   You dodged a bullet with the b-side.   I should have hated this, since my big hurdle with Styx is the Broadway-esque nature of a lot of the latter-day DeYoung material, and this seems, in hindsight, like Laurence’s audition tape!  (I swear, I didn’t find out until AFTER I wrote that that he did in fact use that song as part of his audition with Styx!)  But it’s an interesting song.   I can’t honestly say I had designs of being a lawyer when I graduated high school (doctor, actually) I get the idea and understand what you were going for.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
TAC – 15.0   
Alice Cooper – The Great American Success Story   5   2   0.5   7.5
   Jack Starr – Let’s Get Crazy Again         5   2   0.5   7.5

There’s something to be said about sticking to what you know and do best.
I’ve never actually HEARD the rumors that Kevin DuBrow is alive and well in Montana, but apparently they’re true!

Stand by my statement on Alice; the guy is hard to knock because he’s so consistent and so consistently good, even if he isn’t pushing the envelope in any meaningful way.  This song was good, but it’s hard for me personally to get into the shinier Alice, when I’ve taken to the Ezrin/ACB years so much.   He’s sort of a victim of his own, great American success.   It amazes me that I’ve never heard of Jack Starr.  That was right about the time I was big into the metal scene, reading Kerrang! and keeping up with Mike Varney’s nonsense, but no dice.   I liked the song a lot; it was catchy and certainly had a positive vibe.  I’m not intimately familiar with Rhett Forrester, but was struck by the similarity to DuBrow (who I like).  Thematically, like those before, generally got it. 

FIREWINGS/KATTLEOX – 13.5
Blind Guardian - Majesty               5   1   0.5   6.5
   Helloween – Walls of Jericho/Ride The  Sky         5.5   1   0.5   7

“Dude, after hockey practice, we’re going to get a twelve pack and go down to the lake!”
Metal when metal was still f******g metal.

Haha, I loved these songs, even if the score doesn’t really reflect that.  When I was in high school I was in a band with my then best friend.  I was into Schenker and Blackmore (even Rainbow) and he loved the more “hard core” metal.  Accept.  Heaven.  I don’t remember “Blind Guardian” but he would have loved this.   I lost touch with him when I went to college (listen to the Ben Folds song and you get the general idea).  I went on to be a lawyer, last I heard he was working as a house painter and dealing weed (not that those are bad things, but…) Helloween was on the list though; I remember a video that was just so over the top it was insane; it was like Iron Maiden on steroids, which, at the time, was saying something.   I like Michael Kiske (I know he’s not on this, but TAC sent me a solo song of his that just blew me away) but this is a little too cartoony for me.  I liked the goofy intros from both songs (the Danube waltz and London Bridge).   These songs are better as evocative of a time and place than they are specifically as songs.   Thematically, not really sure where you were going (as you readily admit).  I’ll give you something for the evocation, but let’s just say, I hope you feel better soon. You’re sort of a victim of your competition.   

V-CHLORTHO – 16.0   
Nevermore – A Future Uncertain         5.5   2   0.5   8
   Nevermore - Insignificant            5.5   2   0.5   8

This is what Queensryche SHOULD be doing.
I don’t know much about this band, but they do know how to craft a song.

Ironic that I wrote the “Queensryche” comment, and Nevermore was borne out of the grunge explosion in Seattle.   Heavier than QR, and without the vocal excellence, but I feel like the songs have more… substance for lack of a better word.  I just seemed to like this more than what I’ve heard post-Empire from that other band.  Thematically, I liked this, especially the second song; that seemed to capture a lot of the feelings I had when I was leaving high school and  going to a huge (relatively) state university.

ROMDRUMS – 17.0   
In The Presence of Wolves – Man Of The Times      6.5   2   0.5   9
   The Panic Division – Photograph            5.5   2   0.5   8

How refreshing; prog metal that doesn’t sound like Queensryche!  And it’s still good!
The kind of song you hear once and sing in your head for the rest of the day. My kind of song.

That …Wolves song really grew on me a LOT.   I loved that.   I loved the singing; at times I was like “He sounds like…” and I couldn’t place it, but then I’d think, “no, he really doesn’t sound like anyone”, which is a rare feat in music today.   The song was 8:00 and yet, like the best prog, felt like it was exactly the right length.   I really liked the soloing in the end too; impressive while still being a necessary part of the song.   There were a couple songs in this round that really took me back; I listened to a lot of the songs here in the shower, and I think my water bill is going to be outrageous, because I found myself hearing a tune and just having my mind wander.  This was one of those songs.  This chorus was just a perfect slice of what, at the time, felt like cutting edge music of the mid-80’s (think “Ultravox”).   Nice job.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #3, 2018!
« Reply #474 on: December 31, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #3, 2018!
« Reply #475 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »
I'm bombing this roulette so well. What's the next theme so I can poorly interpret it?  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: December 31, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »

PUPPIES ON ACID – 15.0   
Klimt 1918 – Snow of ‘85            5.5   2   0.5   8
   Haken – 1985                  5   2   0   7

MTV is AWESOME!  They play music 24-7; it’s like the radio but with pictures!
Hmm.  I can’t decide if I want Chinese or Italian.  Maybe I’ll have a grinder from Subway. No, wait, Chik-fil-A.  No, wait, Capital Grill…

Much like the Panic Division song above, this first song is SO evocative of a time.  It doesn’t have the epic chorus, but – and I found this out after when researching the band – the Cure and Bauhaus influences were obvious, and for me, that was the music that MTV exposed me to.  I wouldn’t know one band outside the NWOBHM if it wasn’t for MTV (which is why that reference in the first impression).   As for Haken…   I’ve heard so much about them, and I saw them live as “Shattered Fortress” but nothing about them seemed to say to me “LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!”    So I went into this not quite knowing what to expect.  I still don’t, really.  That keyboard figure around 1:30 or so was cool, but the vocals just ruined the vibe for me.   Not that they are bad, but they are sort of reedy for the sound.  The bridge was better, but it never seemed to elevate, then it sort of schizophrenically went into that chugging, E-string rhythm, then back to that reedy vocal…  I could never shake the idea that it was trying to be all things and not really succeeding at any of them.  Not a bad song, but, as I said, “elevation”. 

EVERMIND – 17.0   
Balance of Power –Walking On Top Of The World   5   2   1   8
   Evergrey – King Of Errors            6   2   1   9

I feel like I’ve heard this before… a lot.  Even in this roulette.
This is what it feel s like to expect McDonald’s and get Red Robin (for those of you that don’t get the reference, this is what it’s like to expect Budweiser and get Guiness.  Well, maybe  Boddington’s. Let’s not get crazy.)

I cannot believe how many times I’ve had to mention “Queensryche” in this roulette.  There just seems to be so much music that is evocative of them; I don’t know if that means QR was ahead of their time, or it’s all a cliché, but I give the nod to that which came first, and so a lot of this suffers for the comparison (hint:  moving forward, that might want to be a consideration in people’s song choices!).   I really like the second song a lot.   It was interesting and was one of the few songs in the round that didn’t immediately evoke someone else.   I expected the worst – black and white Christ imagery! – but it was more than that and I really liked it a lot.  Good mix of strong vocals and evocative musicianship (that solo kicked ASS!).   I also gave you full marks on creativity; you weren’t the guy who hit close to home, but mother of god you were close, especially about the looking back and wondering “how the FUCK did I make it here?”  Nice job, and thank you for putting in the effort. It means a lot to me. 

WOLFKING – 13.5
Magnum – On A Storyteller’s Night            5   2   0   7
   Gary Moore – Listen To Your Heartbeat            4.5   2   0   6.5

Good solid hard rock.   The meat and potatoes of hard rock. 
Don’t tell me that “instrumental integrity” is enough; almost EVERY great player has one of these in their closet (where it should stay).

I can’t tell you how many issues of Kerrang! I read with mentions of “Magnum” – usually as an opening act for a UK tour for bands I liked (Whitesnake, Def Leppard) but I never heard a note of their music, until this roulette.   Not bad; certainly nothing that will make me run out and buy the catalogue, but better than it should have been (and better than some bands that I had shoved down my throat in the ‘80’s).   I went back and forth on the Gary Moore song about six times.   Part of me understands; you have to pay the bills.  Jeff Beck had “Flash”.  Clapton put out two records with Phil Collins (though they are very good records).   Yngwie had “Odyssey.  Blackmore had Joe Lynn Turner.     But while the solo was excellent, I have to believe there are better songs to show the cross-over.  This is “Is This Love?” when there is “Here I Go Again” on the same album.  Or “Since You Been Gone” when there’s “All Night Long”.   I don’t know what else to say.

SCORPION – 0.0
DNF                        0   0   0   0
   DNF                        0   0   0   0

<How do you italicize nothing?>

I wish it wasn’t so, but zeros across the board.  I tried to find something metaphysical to give at least creativity points, but couldn’t even do that. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: December 31, 2018, 10:41:23 AM »
SACUL – 14.0
Talk Talk – Life’s What You Make It         5   2   0   7
   Talk Talk – Living In Another World         5   2   0   7

This has a lot of energy, but it sounds like frustrated energy…
This sounds like it could be so much more. 

Haha, not sure what this says about me, but I was confused at first:  Talk Talk? The band with Robbie Williams? (that’s Take That).  Or Francis Dunnery? (that’s It Bites).  No, it’s the guy who worked with Thomas Dolby and the Catherine Wheel.   I felt like this first song was a Dsus2 chord that never resolve to a D.   As I wrote, there’s an energy here, but it seems frustrated; musical  “blue balls” of sorts.  The second wasn’t better in that regard; in some ways it was worse.  I liked the instrumentation, but the vocals just brought a level of friction that was never really answered.   Are these songs better understood in the context of an album?    Thematically, other than the “1985”, I didn’t really get it; I suppose there was some allegory in the titles “Life’s What You Make It” and “Living In Another World” but again, you might be a victim of that which came before.

HOME – 14.0
Lorde – Team                  4.5   2   0.5   7
   Lorde – Ribs                  4.5   2   0.5   7

I want to like this, but it just all sounds the same.
I don’t know if that line is meant to be sincere or ironic, but either way, it’s hard to imagine she has any idea what she’s talking about.

My wife and I have a running joke:  we watch TV and I invariably say “I fucking hate kids.”  And what I mean is not children, but those precocious kids that you see that are 8, 10, 12, but act like they’re 35. “Home Alone” is one of the worst movies ever made for that very reason.    And I sometimes think that way about artists like Lorde; there’s a sort of dichotomy between the lyrics and the life that’s hard to reconcile.   I know for me, I felt a lot of what she sings about, but I was in no way, shape or form in any position to articulate that.   And further, I realized later, much later, that I had the general idea at 22, but I had no concept whatsoever about the magnitude and scope that those ideas could take.   These songs are also a victim of their environment; I sort of think that in some ways, Ben Folds is singing about Lorde, or at least the idea of “Lorde”. 

I wrote this last time, and honestly, it still holds:  “Thematically, I liked your concept (and feel a little bad not liking the song, given the backstory, but it is what it is).”  I liked the thought you put into it, and for that, I thank you. 

ELITE – 14.5
Beardfish – 17 Again               6   1   0.5   7.5
   Gamma Ray  – It’s A Sin               5.5   1   0.5   7

This started slow, but certainly kicked into high gear.
This is what  it sounds like when someone takes something to the next level.

Hmmm.  I’ve not heard any Beardfish before (they were supposed to be on the tour with DT in 2008, but pulled out) and at first I was like “WTF, Elite, you’re killing me!”  But I kept listening, and that last 2, 2:30 might be the best 2:30 in the roulette.  That was everything I LOVE about Yes, one of my favorite bands ever.   I’m familiar with the original “It’s A Sin” – and I like it (big fan of Neil Tennant’s vocals) – but I think the Gamma Ray version just elevates that in almost every way.   It’s not worlds apart, it’s just a bit more… substantive (or maybe the word is “less of its time”).   Thematically, I just didn’t get it.  I understand there are circumstances here, so I tried to give what I could, but other than “17” in the title of the instrumental, I didn’t see that; and I gave you a half-point for creativity for hinting at a band that was pretty darn big back in the day and informed a lot of what I like about music today (even if I’m not the hugest Pet Shop Boys fan).

LOWDZ – 14.5
Q5 – Missing In Action               6   2   0   8
   Mercyful Fate – A Dangerous Meeting         4.5   2   0   6.5

Short, sharp, SHOCK.  Metal up your ass.
Never heard much about them before, but it’s almost exactly what I expected.  Now I need to go pray. 

Nice call with the first song; I really dug that.  No frills, straight ahead metal.   Starring Floyd Rose. THE Floyd Rose.  Sorry, Floyd D. Rose.   Haha, in any event, that was good.  The singer kind of was a cross between Vince Neil (in a good way) and Blackie Lawless (in a good way) but it all fit in nicely.  That was good.   Can’t really say the same about Mercyful Fate.  Pretty derivative – I’m a going to guess they listened to “Sin After Sin” by Priest a couple times – and the falsetto wears thin with me pretty quick.   Not the worst song ever, but not on part with the first song or some of the other metal in this round.   Thematically, on the mark with no frills, add-ons or upgrades. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: December 31, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
Did I miss the theme for the next round. I looked back at the last few pages, but didn't see one.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: December 31, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
King              14.5   16.5   18.5   49.5
Nekov      16.5   16.0   16.5   49.0
Romdrums   16.0   15.5   17.0   48.5
TAC              16.0   17.0   15.0   48.0
Indiscipline   17.0   15.5   14.5   47.0
Jingle      15.0   16.5   15.5   47.0
Evermind      15.5   14.5   17.0   47.0
Home      16.0   16.0   14.0   46.0
--------------------------------------------
v-Chlortho   15.5   14.5   16.0   46.0
Lowdz      16.0   15.0   14.5   45.5
Puppies      14.0   16.0   15.0   45.0
Wolfking      15.0   15.5   13.5   44.0
Firewings      15.0   15.0   13.5   43.5
Sacul      15.0   14.0   14.0   43.0
Elite              12.5   15.5   14.5   42.5
Scorpion      17.0   0.0   0.0   17.0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: December 31, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Next two rounds theme:

-   The Red Rocker or Diamond Dave?   
-   YOU!   Give me two songs about YOU.  One that maybe tells us something we don’t know, and maybe one that tells us how you think others might see you.  (Spoiler alert:  I have heard the songs “I Am A Viking” by Yngwie, and “My Love Is Like A Tire Iron” by Ted Nugent.)

I have something sort of specific in mind for the first one, but as usual, your creativity is what counts.   Pace should pick up from here on out since the holidays are essentially over. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #481 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the Q5. Mercyful Fate was a risk as King is a love or hate thing. I’m happy with the score as I was worried that MF would fall very flat. The Priest-isms are strong though.

Really struggling for the next round though 😬

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: December 31, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
I imagined Bend Sinister was up your alley, they do this old school rock with some modern elements and sounds that is pretty great. I have absolutely no idea what I will do with the next theme, not sure where to even begin.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: December 31, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
I'll take that score.  I'll admit, I completely forgot about sampling some songs/ideas over the past few days.  Guess I know what I have to do tomorrow morning!  Got a couple from these scores that I needs to sample.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #484 on: December 31, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
Kade…..Listen To Your Heartbeat? Really?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
I'll take that score with Nevermore. They seem to be a love/hate type band. I'm glad you liked them.

• DTF.org Member
Sent, I hope it doesn't get rejected  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade…..Listen To Your Heartbeat? Really?

Haha, I know.  Regretted it as soon as I sent it.  I like it though and took a punt and backfired.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Damn, I was hoping to send Magnum at some point, and I thought Gary Moore would be banned. You didn’t exactly sell GM there Kade😀

Stadler, give Storyteller’s Night and Wings of Heaven by Magnum a listen. Both great albums. If you don’t like those, Magnum isn’t for you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, I was hoping to send Magnum at some point, and I thought Gary Moore would be banned. You didn’t exactly sell GM there Kade😀

haha, the burn continues.  I know know, I like it though, what can I say.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.