Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 47673 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Stadler's Roulette, Ver. 2.0: Singles A's and B's
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
The theme is:

"Is it live, or is it Memorex?"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
The theme is:

Cheers Tim, just gone back and found it. I had read it but forgot. So much forMemorex 😀😀😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
The theme is:

Whatever that means is completely fucking foreign to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
I really shouldn't share this for all the youngins, but I'm just too nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyFcJcZiaU

Though, I was always partial to Maxell XLII's, and the dude sitting in the recliner.

Pay attention people, I'm not gonna help ya'll out a 3rd time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »
I just don't get it, how the fuck could you not tell if it's a tape or live?  I get the point but just seems like a strange sales pitch to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
I just don't get it, how the fuck could you not tell if it's a tape or live?  I get the point but just seems like a strange sales pitch to me.

You're no longer an honorary fogey.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »

You're no longer an honorary fogey.

Can't hide my age forever I guess.  But I love your club, please don't kick me out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »
I love your club, can I get back in?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »

You're our exalted leader!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »

:lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
The theme is:

I even watched the video Chad posted, and I still have no idea. Bring on my 0/3 for the theme I guess. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2018, 04:06:17 AM »
The theme is:

I even watched the video Chad posted, and I still have no idea. Bring on my 0/3 for the theme I guess. :lol

Thank God I'm not the only one.  Felt stupid but put my confusion out there nevertheless.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
"They wanted you to think that hearing a recording on one of their tapes sounded as good as a live performance."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Okay, so results.   First the number by your name is your total score.    The numbers by the songs themselves are the song score, the theme score, the creativity score and the song total.

I'm repeating myself (but anyone in P/R will be used to that) but the theme score, to get "2" I just needed something, anything, beyond just a subjective "My Favorite".  If I got it wrong, well, so be it, the good thing is, with so many options there are a lot of ways to make up ground.  The two highest scorers did it in almost exactly opposite ways.

One guy is going to be PISSED at me, but all I can say is, I go by what my gut says and my gut says, um, yeah. 

NEKOV – 16.5
   Foxy Shazam – Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll      5   2   0.5   7
   Florence + The Machine – Kiss With A Fist            6   2   1   9

I first heard Eric Nally on a TV show by Demi Lovato (I forget what it was, but Demi Lovato is gorgeous, so I watch  her when she comes on TV) and I was like “Who IS this guy?”  He looked like one of the Village People, or Joey Silvera, but he could sing.   I remember checking out one Foxy Shazam song, and not being at all impressed.   I loved this performance but the song didn’t grab me.  I get and love three minute bursts of rock and roll energy, but there has to be something to grab onto, and I wish there was more here.  Great performance but the song couldn’t support it.   And I feel exactly the opposite about the b-side.   I dug the hell out of the song, but the sort of reedy quality of Florence’s voice doesn’t really work for me.  I have a thing for female vocalists – Ann Wilson, Johnette Napolitano, Anneke van Giersbergen, Shirley Manson – but they all have a sort of powerful quality to their voices that I just don’t from this.   But I love the song; I think it’s clever and dark, and you never quite get where she’s coming from; is it rueful? Is it regretful?  Is there desire in there?  That’s a well-crafted tune right there, in search of a definitive performance.

I like the adherence to the theme.  While I didn’t dig the song, that Foxy Shazam song COULD be a Kiss tune (I kept thinking “God Gave Rock and Roll To You, Part II), and I loved the cleverness of the b-side,  with the iron fist/velvet glove reference, which is a big part of Kiss for me. Well done.

INDISCIPLINE – 17.0
   Michael Schenker Temple of Rock – Wicked         5.5   2   1   8.5
   Crowded House – Lester                          5.5   2   1   8.5

No, this isn’t cheating.  I’m a HUGE Michael Schenker fan, but I’ve made no bones that for me, “MSG” is the first four albums with Gary Barden and Graham Bonnet.   I can’t really stand Robin McAuley (though he’s growing on me having seen him live) and Doogie is, well, I just feel he’s wasted opportunity.  “Stranger In Us All” (I know it’s Rainbow) should have been great, but it was not. So I’ve never heard this before.  But this was a really good tune; GREAT chorus, and while it’s not a legendary MSG solo, it’s certainly unique, and his playing is just so… warm and comforting while it punches you in the kidney.   I liked this.    I really liked the b-side; that’s the sort of quintessential b-side for me.  V-chlortho kind of nailed it in his submission:  “A sides are the hit. The catchy song that grabs the listener. The B side is a different side of the band that you won't necessarily see from the hits.”  I don’t love, but I respect Crowded House, and this was a new look at that band.  I kind of dug the odd nature of the song, too.  Is he singing to his dog?

Okay, so theme-wise, he NAILED THE CRAP OUT OF IT.   Took the “favorite”, the “b-side” and the “Kiss” and did something non-obvious and clever with it.  I said I threw in the Kiss because I have no fucking idea who some of you consider your “favorite band” so I needed something I could objectively dig into.  This got that perfectly.   Others did as well, and perhaps Indiscipline’s score won’t separate him from the pack as much as it should, but be warned:  in future rounds, something like this may cause everyone else to be at best a 0.5 on creativity. 

KINGSHMEGLAND  - 14.5
   Dada - Dizz Knee Land                  5   1.5   0   6.5
   Dada - Baby Really Loves Me               5.5   2   0.5   8

Hardest write-up to do - well, maybe second hardest – because I know King’s tastes, and we’re pretty spot on on most things music (and beer).  But this feels like a bit of a miss.   I like the a-side, and I think the meaning is clever and catchy, and there’s some neat guitar playing in there.  But while it’s clearly a favorite of yours (I’ve heard you mention this before, I believe) it doesn’t floor me.  It kind of reminds me of other bands of the era – Toad The Wet Sprocket comes to mind, Jesus Jones is another – that sort of all sounded alike.   But the b-side makes up for it. I thought that was an excellent song, first off, and a sort of perfect b-side.   I really liked that, and when I was researching this, I read a quote where the bass player said “Dizz Knee Land” is their best KNOWN song, but not their BEST song, and that, coupled with the b-side and the fact that I generally trust your taste, does make me want to hear more. 

Thematically, I gave the full two points, because I know they are a favorite of yours, but I felt like I had to keep back some of the creativity points.  I didn’t get any Kiss – or even Kiss-evocative – feelings, and without that, I’m not sure how it necessarily fits.  I’m searching for something to make the link and I can’t find it.   It’s far too deep for a Kiss song, it’s far too political (well, social politics, maybe) for a Kiss song, and while the guitars are excellent, it’s almost too technically accomplished for a Kiss song.   Maybe I should look at the irony, because in many ways, Kiss IS “Disneyland”, so there’s that, but that seems a stretch.   I did give you a half a point for the b-side, since you did capture what I feel is the essence of a good b-side. 

JINGLE.BOY – 15.0
   Symphony X - Run With The Devil            4   2   0.5   6.5
   Accept - Final Journey                  5.5   2   1   8.5

Haha, sorry Chad.   I don’t know what it is, but Russell Allen just rubs me the wrong way.  I’ve never met the man, he did nothing to me, and certainly there’s evidence that in real life he’s a nice enough guy and an heroic man.  But purely in terms of music, it’s fire and water.  Liam and Noel.   Trump and Cohen.   I should have liked this song, as musically it’s pretty good – though the solo was a little gimmicky for me – but I had a hard time getting past the vocals (maybe because I was half expecting him to scream out “mutherfuckin’ psychosane!” or “I heard you took one in the FACE!”) and especially when I heard the other song in this round that I think you COULD have sent, it really made it hard to like this.   Thankfully, though, you nailed it on the b-side.   I have a sort of grudging, even slightly mocking respect for Udo (I’m sorry I just find him hilarious in the same way I find Glenn Danzig hilarious, but I find I actually like the Accept songs I’ve heard) but I never got into Accept beyond “Balls To The Wall” and a ballad off one of the early albums that I can’t remember.  I know this isn’t Udo (it’s Mark Tornillo) but I thought it was him at first and that’s a good thing.   This was just a good, hard rock song.   Vaguely Priest-like at times, and I actually dug the outro solo with its classical quote (Grieg, I think).

Thematically, I liked what you did.  I liked the reference to “Final Journey”, since even as a big fan I find it comical how Paul Stanley is approaching this (“we’re going to do one last lap – of up to three years!”) and I gave you a little more benefit of the doubt, since even though you wouldn’t have known this, the first time I ever saw Kiss – and got to meet the band before hand! – Accept was the opening act.   You meant that, right?  Right?   :angel:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
Ok, better than I expected honestly. I think I might be able not to suck in this roulette  :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:25 PM »
I didn't get the theme until after I sent but going forward I've got the idea now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
Goddamn.... I never knew Russell's voice could be disliked!  Show us on the model where he touched you, Bill:

:lol

Looking forward to the Star One writeup, and then seeing how fast people jump to submissions with Floor/Damian/Dan. :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »
Stads mentions Trump in a message to Chad and a discussion doesn't follow? Did I travel to a different universe?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
TAC – 16.0   
Horisont – Electrical               5   2   0.5   7.5
   Dead Lord - Don't Give A Damn               5.5   2   1   8.5

I didn’t really think about it much then, though I have to now for the write-up, but the a-side grabbed me, and I like it a lot more than I probably should.   Great tandem guitar in the solo, which was very reminiscent of, say, “Detroit Rock City”, and the excellent rhyming of “electrical”, “directional” and “incomprehensible” sent it over the top (reminds me of “plaster”, “caster”, “faster”, “master”).   This is just simple, straight-ahead rock and roll, but taken seriously and not in an ironic way (there is nothing at all ironic about Kiss, and that’s one of the things I love about them).  The b-side was excellent too; you really nailed this in terms of what I like about Kiss and bands like them.   That guitar from the main riff could be right off one of the first three albums, and (as you pointed out) the lyrics get the cartoony arrogance of Kiss lyrics, again, without the irony or the mockery.  I shouldn’t even have to mention that that guy sounds more like Paul Stanley than Paul does today.

Thematically you nailed it too, though not without a little help.   I was going back and forth between 0.5 and 1, and thinking “what do a bunch of modern day Swedes know about gritty 70’s New York Metal?”  but then I read this quote from the singer: “Put the 5 soldiers of Horisont in a time machine 50 years ahead of time and we would still rock the silver socks of any future man, woman or robot”, which is  something Gene or Ace would  absolutely say, and this from the Dead Lord website: “Dead Lord was formed in January 2012. The mission was to rock. It still is.”, which Paul might have actually said at one point about Kiss.   Seriously, though, I like how you so subtly and thoughtfully addressed the theme about one of the LEAST subtle bands in the history of rock and roll!

FIREWINGS/KATTLEOX – 15.0
EdGuy - Love Tyger               5   2   0.5   7.5
   Sonata Arctica - Cinder Block                5   2   0.5   7.5

The A-side was not the song of the round, but it was one of the songs that grew on me the most.  At one point I found myself walking around the kitchen singing “Love T-t-t-t-t-tyger!”.  It’s a really good, basic song with no real message but a lot of fun.    I loved the bit in the Edguy Wikipedia article that said Edguy’s  lyrics are often metaphorical, alluding to metaphysical or social themes: conformity, dictation by the church, and dangers of modern civilization”.  I don’t know; I got more of a Steel Panther vibe, but that’s not to say the song was light weight or ineffective.   I thought it was very catchy and put a smile on my face, and that’s really what (I think) good music should do.  The b-side struck a chord with me as I played banjo in my band in Philly, and I have a neat picture of James Hetfield with a banjo photoshopped in.    It was a good song, though and it used the banjo as well as a Finnish power metal band can.  I don’t know if this was a b-side or not, but it certainly FELT like one.

Thematically, Edguy is more Van Halen than Kiss, but it still was evocative of the sort of mid-80’s period Kiss.   I also liked the video that played with it, because at one point the band were cartoon tigers on stage and the character stuck out a tongue of which even Gene would have been envious.  I got less connection out of the b-side, though it sounded like a b-side and it was vaguely (though not enough to really earn a ton of points) evocative of Destroyer, with the chorus and strings and grand piano. 

V-CHLORTHO – 15.5   
D.A.D. - Siamese Twin                  5   2   1   8
   D.A.D. - Down That Dusty 3rd World Road            5   2   0.5   7.5

This was a good song, until I read the lyrics.  Then – depending who I’m talking to – it’s either an excellent song or despicable!   Haha, no, I think it’s funny, and I think that, while I can’t rule out something lost in translation – like many of the Scorpions lyrics – it’s kind of the sort of shameless finger to the eye that good rock and roll is, and that so much of Kiss’ catalogue is.   Although the music isn’t similar, the lyric “She is two of a kind and she is mine and I tell you I love her” reminded me of “She’s So European” off of Unmasked (which is one of my favorite Kiss tunes ever).   Of course they followed that with “She is a six hole golf course and I, uh, need her.”   Haha.  But it’s a good song.  You really nailed it, though with the b-side.  That’s a good tune, and exactly what I’d expect from a b-side. That little chord sequence – bah-BUH-bah! – has stuck in my head; it reminds me in a good way of another song, but I just can’t place it, and haven’t been able to for a couple days now. 

I gave you full points on the A-side.   Whether you intended it or not – and I think you did – you really captured the essence of Gene in particular with that song.  It’s over the top, it makes you shake your head, but at the end of the day it makes you tap your foot too.  It’s just rock ‘n’ roll, and not meant to be taken too seriously; neither D.A.D. nor Gene seem to be trying to be Michael Stipe, so it is what it is.  A little less so on the b-side, but I gave you a half a point extra since it reminded me of “When A Blind Man Cries” by Deep Purple so much, a song that didn’t make it’s album (“Machine Head”) because it was SO different than the rest of the material created around it.

ROMDRUMS – 16.0   
Night Flight Orchestra – Paralyzed            5   2   1   8
   Night Flight Orchestra - Living For The Nighttime         5   2   1   8

I have to be honest; I was blown away when I researched this and found out who “Night Flight Orchestra” really was.  I wasn’t even close; I had assumed they were a sort of “Go West!” or maybe even a Little River Band, who sort of stayed under the radar and followed the trends without  really straying that far from their core.   But nope.  Both these songs were just so evocative of Unmasked-era Kiss, it was almost scary.  Not that that’s necessarily a good thing – they’re evocative of Unmasked-era Kiss, which is probably their second-most maligned record in their catalogue.  But still, they captured the good points; the rhythmic pulsing, the guitars as complements, the clean, sing-a-long vocals, the lyrics that are more thematic and paint a picture rather than detail a story or make an argument.   I liked these a lot.

Thematically is where this, for me, wins.   When I was, say, 13, 14, and really into Kiss, but also starting to really understand what Paul and Gene were singing about, I remember being in my basement (no, not “my mom’s basement”, Chad) and listening to Unmasked, and talking on the phone with <gasp> girls (no, not my cousin, Chad) and these songs really just took me back.  The sound, the rhythm, the words “Living For The Nighttime” isn’t that far removed, thematically, from “King Of The  Nighttime world” or something like that, and even the titles (“Paralyzed” is the name of a Kiss song too) get the essence.   I know you meant it, and it really connected in a very creative, unexpected way.  I think you took a big gamble, and ought to be rewarded for it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
(I suck at formatting).

Chad, the spot is somewhere on the right drawing, about midway down, and to the center. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
Chad, the spot is somewhere on the right drawing, about midway down, and to the center. :)

Brokeback Mountain style??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
Goddamn.... I never knew Russell's voice could be disliked!

I'm with Stadler on this one.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
So far everybody scores between 4 and 6 on 'Song Score'. Is this on a scale from 1-10?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
So far everybody scores between 4 and 6 on 'Song Score'. Is this on a scale from 1-10?

1 to 7.

7 points for the song, 2 for the theme, and 1 for creativity.   I believe I might have said this.  :)   

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
You might have, and I might have read over it. Thanks for the clarification though :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
PUPPIES ON ACID – 14.0   
AFI – The Great Disappointment            5.5   1.5   0   7
   Incubus – Sick Sad Little World (Live)               4.5   2   0.5   7

This was a submission I had a hard time getting my arms around.   Neither song grabbed me right out the gate and neither song really grew on me, but I found myself hearing things I liked as I listened, especially with the a-side.   I sort of get lost in the descriptors of music – post punk, pre-goth, horror core, whatever-core – so that they mean little if anything to me, but the proof is always in the pudding , the music.   This song was anything BUT a disappointment.  The vocals were a little weak for my tastes, and sort of reminded me of second-rate Linkin Park or Puddle of Mudd.   But the music was strong and interesting, and had a sort of Pearl Jam vibe which I dug.   Don’t take this as gospel, because I love Sabbath, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden, but I enjoy a positivity in my music.  Neal Morse, Yes, and Kiss all have a positive vibe to them that I really like. This didn’t have that, and I felt it.  The b-side was not much better in terms of a unified vision.   I was impressed by the musicianship, and I really dug the fluid nature of the arrangement, but I wasn’t keen on the vocals or the song itself.  It did strike me as a decent b-side, though, and I got the distinct impression that this was a workout of sorts, stretching the limits of the song, and I like that idea.

As for the theme, I didn’t get how this met the criteria.  I suppose it’s a favorite, so you got a 1.5 but I didn’t get anything beyond that (and if you wrote it, I apologize, but I had to clean out my box to allow others to submit!).   It’s kind of everything Kiss isn’t, and I couldn’t find any other tangible connection.   You did get a half a point for creativity for the Incubus submittal, for various reasons, including its place as a cool b-side track.

EVERMIND – 15.5   
Avantasia – The Toy Master            6   2   0.5   8.5
   Avantasia – Dying For An Angel               5   2   0   7

I think I have to randomize how I listen to the songs.  I want to know who is sending what, so I can give credit where credit is due, as well as account for the theme.   But I saw “Avantasia” and I was like “hmmm, more Nordic metal!” and sure enough… but then I listened to the music and was pleasantly surprised.  I really liked The Toy Master and certainly having Alice Cooper on board doesn’t hurt to me.  As I understand it, this is part of a concept album, and it’s always tough to jump in to a concept with just one song, but regardless this seems to work.   “The Toy Master” implies just the right amount – and the right type – of creepiness and Alice is perhaps the best in music to deliver this kind of vibe.    I really dug this.   The  b-side was strong too; I’m a fan of Klaus Meine, though I don’t view him as a great “pure singer”, and his vocals don’t always mesh with those around him; I have a couple of MSG versions of “Doctor Doctor” with Klaus guesting, and they don’t always blend well.

Thematically, I like the Alice reference.   He’s not Kiss – and vice versa – but I get the similarities, and certainly there is overlap; Kiss didn’t go with Bob Ezrin on Destroyer because of his work with Peter Gabriel (which came after, I know.  Shut up.)   Less so with the Klaus reference; yeah, they are contemporaries, and in fact, the first time I saw Kiss, I saw Scorpions about three months later in the exact same hockey arena. 

WOLFKING – 15.0
Avantasia – Restless Heart            5.5   2   0   7.5
   Dream Evil – Creature Of The Night            5   2   0.5   7.5

“Hmmm, more Nordic metal!”  Haha, that’s not a bad thing; if anything else, I’ve gotten a great appreciation for some of the music coming out of that part of the world, and I have to say I’m rather impressed with the varied nature of that music.   Not so much the various genres, that’s a given, but in terms of the people.   Mike is varied, but let’s be real:  it is basically prog and metal.  There’s not a lot of jazz or blues coming out of the Portnoy house.   Gene Simmons “stretching” is a power ballad.  But some of these guys are black metal, prog metal, pop metal, 70’s pop rock, etc. and it’s pretty convincing at that. I have similar thoughts on the Dream Evil track.  As an aside, I’m always leery of bands that take their name from songs by other artists in their genre (broadly speaking) so when I see that I think “DIO!” and it’s sometimes a hard hurdle to cross.   Nonetheless, this was a good track.   I really liked the music and the vocals did a nice job of supporting that music.

Thematically, I didn’t see the connection with the a-side; I mean, I gave two points for it being a favorite, but I couldn’t go beyond that.  I did, though, give a taste on the b-side because  I thought the “Creature of the Night” was a nice touch, and it’s  favorite album of mine, so there you go.

SCORPION – 17.0
Star One – Victim Of The Modern Age            7   2   0   9
   Devin Townsend Project – Little Pig (Demo)            6   2   0   8

I know I started with a little nod to “NASCAR” and to reference that, let me say that this is solid racing.  Nothing fancy, you didn’t knock it out of the park creativity-wise, but you won two stages and finished in the top three of the race to garner a ton of Championship points (if you don’t follow NASCAR, you have no idea what I’m saying, do you?)    Anyway, solid; you could say “the Malcom Young of roulette playing”.

Star One:  Song of the round.   Blew me away the first time I heard it, and blew me away about 10 minutes ago when I put it on again.  Blew me away the five or ten times I listened to it in between.  Loved the intro, loved the buildup, and loved the vocals.  Reminded me of Tony Martin a bit in the verses, but blew that right out of the water with the gang vocals in the choruses and the bridge.   Chad, I literally crapped my drawers when I found out who sang the verses.    I stand by everything I wrote above, and all I can say is here, his voice is tempered by the other singers around him and are elevated by what is just a phenomenally epic track.  You could say I liked this IN SPITE of Russell Allen, but that’s not really true, because I liked his work here.   I don’t believe it was him, but I even liked the growl part!  And I hate growls!   As for the b-side, I can see how someone may not like the vocals in the end part, but I really liked the build-up and thought it was way better than the sum of its parts.   If nothing else, these roulettes ought to be sponsored by Devin because they are single-handedly turning me into a big fan of his music (already a big fan of him).   

Thematically, I can’t really give you much on the a-side.  Sorry, as good as the song is, I just don’t see it, though I give you two points on the assumption that this is one of your favorite artists (I can definitely buy that).   I thought about giving a half a point because of the b-side feel of having “Demo” in the title, but it didn’t play like a b-side.  Maybe that’s what a Devin Townsend b-side  is, but I didn’t see it, and there is certainly nothing to elevate it thematically beyond “it might be your favorite”.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »
You might have, and I might have read over it. Thanks for the clarification though :)

It was more of a dig at me than you.  I can sometimes get wordy.  :) 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
SACUL – 15.0
Anathema – Untouchable Part I            5   2   0.5   7.5
   Anathema – Untouchable Part II            5   2   0.5   7.5

Good solid tunes.   I liked these.  They didn’t stick out and make me want to sing along, but I liked them.  I had “The Gathering Of The Clouds” in a previous roulette and liked it too, and this is consistent with that.   I really liked how the Part I built up to a crescendo that was satisfying, but it didn’t preclude a Part II.  And Part II did its own nice build, with its own crescendo, but in a totally different way (LOVED the vocals in the latter half of Part II).   This is good music, and not much to say beyond that.

Thematically,  I struggled with how it worked, but then I realized that it’s the perfect relationship of a-side and b-side (and it didn’t hurt that I found out that’s pretty close to what happened in real life).

HOME – 16.0
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism            5.5   2   1   8.5
   Death Cab For Cutie – I Will Follow You Into The Dark         5   2   0.5   7.5

I wanted to hate this so bad.   From the band name – top one worst band names of all time, even ahead of Anal C*** - to the fact that Ben Gibbard married Zooey Deschanel and I didn’t, I just wanted to hate it.  But I can’t.  It’s actually pretty good.  The end gets a little repetitious, but I think that’s part of the artistry, the sort of musical equivalent of the yearning across time and space.  And I really dig that shit, so to speak.  I love when the music speaks to you just as much as the lyrics (Evidence of Autumn, by Genesis, Turn Of The Century by Yes).  I’m not sure I could listen to that over and over, as it’s a little bleak, but it communicates what it needs to communicate, and I’m a big fan of that.   The b-side was, well, a b-side.  Well crafted and well-played, it does sort of highlight the problem with some of the more “emo” alternative bands; it’s a little wordy (I know, Chad, right?) and that wordiness seems to get in the way of the flow at times, but it’s a good song, and it certainly has a poignancy to it that’s hard to deny.

Thematically, I liked your story (it’s yours to share, not mine) and that’s the kind of thing I would say so you got the extra point.  Perhaps not as bombastically as some of the others, but you earned it.  The b-side was a quintessential b-side, so you went above and beyond on that as well.  Nice job. 

ELITE – 12.5
Ulver – Rolling Stone               4.5   1.5   0   6
   Ulver – The Future Sound Of Music         4.5   1.5   0.5   6.5

Hardest write up of the group, by far.  Bro, we connected in the last roulette; lot’s of solid 7.5’s, and a Jeff Buckley “Grace”, and a Gary Clark, Jr. to boot!   But this just missed.  I didn’t get the music itself, I didn’t get the thematic content of the music…  I just didn’t get it.  I’m so sorry.  I hope you don’t get discouraged, it’s a long road to the championship.   The first song took a long time to build-up, but it didn’t seem – to me – to payoff.  I don’t mind the build-up, and I have the patience, but it didn’t pay off; maybe if it was 6:00 minutes instead of 9:27, that might have made the difference.  But while it did sort of get better over time (I think my first score was a 3, and I added a half a point as late as this write up) I won’t lie: even the 4.5 is a sort of gift when I look at some of the the other songs in the round.   As for the b-side, I don’t mind noise per se, but I spent the first 2:00 minutes shaking my phone because I thought the squeaks were part of the playback and not the song itself.  You did score a little extra because the sound at about 6:00 or so was reminiscent of the growl in “One Foot Out The Door” by Van Halen.

Thematically, I just didn’t get it.  This might be your favorite, and so a 1.5, but I got nothing that elevates past that, and in fact, just the opposite.   I gave you a half a point for a good b-side, since that’s the exact thing that you’d find on a b-side (ala “Mission From ‘Arry” or “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)”.

LOWDZ – 16.0
Crown Of Thorns – Crown Of Thorns         5   2   1   8
   Crown Of Thorns – Dying For You         5   2   1   8

I really liked the a-side a lot.  That guitar lick is stuck in my head, and I know I know it from somewhere but I can’t place it.    This is just well-written and well-played hard rock, and to be honest, I’m really surprise (and not a little embarrassed) that I haven’t heard this before.    I liked the vocals, almost reminiscent of Joe Lynn Turner a little.   This isn’t Kiss, but has the Kiss formula down pat.   The b-side was good too, and SEEMED like a b-side, in the best possible way.

Thematically, this is a big winner.  I said “it’s not Kiss”, but it was produced by Paul Stanley, and more importantly, Jean Beauvoir plays bass on this (and allegedly wrote some songs, though I haven’t seen any credits).  In fact, Jean Beauvoir played a LOT of bass – perhaps more than even Gene himself - on the mid-80’s Kiss records Animalize and Asylum, while Gene was off hitting on Kirstie Alley in “Runaway”.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2018, 02:28:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after Round 1:

Indiscipline   17.0
Scorpion           17.0
Nekov           16.5
TAC                   16.0
Romdrums   16.0
Home           16.0
Lowdz           16.0
v-Chlortho   15.5
Evermind           15.5
Jingle           15.0
Firewings           15.0
Wolfking           15.0
Sacul           15.0
King                   14.5
Puppies           14.0
Elite                   12.5

EDIT:  When I hit "modify", all those numbers are in a perfect line.  I give up. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:01:31 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Stadler's Roulette, Ver. 2.0: Singles A's and B's OFFICIAL RESULTS RACE #1
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
Stadler I sent you a PM last night regarding Round 2. Can you respond please?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
Well, at least you got some of the other song rankings right!   :biggrin:

Sending later tonight ... maybe tomorrow morning.  I - unlike a bunch of the other whiners around here - had no problem finding options for this round.  One last listen to my choices to make sure I agree with my final decision.

EDIT:  When I hit "modify", all those numbers are in a perfect line.  I give up. 

Best way to do it is to make it Courier (a monospaced) font.  You'll need to adjust the number of spaces inbetween, but that's the only way I know to line things up like that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »
I - unlike a bunch of the other whiners around here - had no problem finding options for this round. 

If that were true...

Sending later tonight ... maybe tomorrow morning. 

….it would've been sent already. Buying time??

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »
Check your PM... Bitch

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
Long way to go, good! Let's see for round 2 :)
Squ

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »
I have no idea what's going on in here really but with some sort of KISS theme going on , Crown of Thorns was a cool choice Paul  :tup     I assume that's Dying For Love?   From memory Paul Stanley co-wrote Winterland on that same album.

And Jean also wrote Uh! All Night - not sure if that's a claim to fame or not :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au