Author Topic: Reverse engineering DT  (Read 1782 times)

Offline JLa

Reverse engineering DT
« on: November 16, 2018, 02:10:53 AM »
Came across this video and found it surprisingly interesting! I don't know enough music theory to fully understand all he's saying, but interesting nevertheless. #nerdalert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc9KH5nMvjg

The 'copycat' riff he ends up with is really cool!  :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: Reverse engineering DT
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Yes, very cool.  A good watch.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »
That was awesome!!

I didn't understand a f'n word! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:11:28 AM »
That was a pretty cool video. Took me back to my college years when we used to do this kind of analysis.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:44:56 AM »
Cool video, it's always cool to know more about DT and know why those sections sound the way they sound.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »

No kidding!

I get while people who study music either for a living or for personal interests would enjoy this, but to me it is not only a foreign language, it sorta takes away the magic of music. I used to love watching the bonus features on DVDs where they talk about the film making process. I found it fascinating, until it started informing how I viewed the film too music. Now I just want to watch a film, and not be aware of how they did the CGI work, or the editing process, or any of that. Same thing applies to music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
I covered this song on the keyboard a while ago, and I can say that the part at 4:37 of the video, which is the first part of the instrumental section of the song, actually confused me greatly when I first attempted to play that.
i would get confused and think I had gotten out of tempo, because the kick was landing wrong :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
That was awesome!!

Me too - very interesting, but since I'm better at playing a CD player rather than a guitar, most of that went way over my head. Nonetheless, it is pretty cool to get an idea of the kind of thought that went into writing that section!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 04:06:51 PM »

No kidding!

I get while people who study music either for a living or for personal interests would enjoy this, but to me it is not only a foreign language, it sorta takes away the magic of music.

While I was still in college, I went through a period of a few months that I refused to listen to any music, specially Dream Theater, because of that same reason. It got to a point that I wasn’t enjoying Dream Theater anymore because I was too concentrated on figuring out what was going on and how they did it. I had to train myself to listen to music again and know when to analyze.

Honestly, analyzing their music made me appreciate it a lot more, because it shows you all the effort they put into their writing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »
Really cool video. Music theory was 35 years ago, and I hated it so much I haven't played the piano since, but he did a fine job of explaining it all. I could never do what he does, but I can at least follow along as he does it.

Here's what jumped out at me, though: Does anybody still consider I&W their signature sound? Seems to me they never really sounded like that again, and have been steadily moving away from it with each album. Even ADToE, which many people think is essentially a reconstructed I&W (like he just demonstrated) doesn't really sound much like it, either tonally or stylistically.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
Really cool video. Music theory was 35 years ago, and I hated it so much I haven't played the piano since, but he did a fine job of explaining it all. I could never do what he does, but I can at least follow along as he does it.

Here's what jumped out at me, though: Does anybody still consider I&W their signature sound? Seems to me they never really sounded like that again, and have been steadily moving away from it with each album. Even ADToE, which many people think is essentially a reconstructed I&W (like he just demonstrated) doesn't really sound much like it, either tonally or stylistically.

The breakthrough album is always considered the signature sound simply because most people are used to it, and the newcomers are influenced by the opinion of the previous ones.

Picking an album that represents their signature sound best is difficult because every album feels different in many ways. Hell, even Awake was radically different from I&W

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
I love music theory, even if I rarely get to apply it.  This guy was on top of it all the way.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:48 AM »

The breakthrough album is always considered the signature sound simply because most people are used to it, and the newcomers are influenced by the opinion of the previous ones.

Picking an album that represents their signature sound best is difficult because every album feels different in many ways. Hell, even Awake was radically different from I&W
I agree that Awake was a significant departure, which is kind of my point. I'd call I&W an outlier insofar as their "sound" goes. Awake is probably closer to their "signature sound" than I&W, but at this point I'd be looking much, much later. If we're being generous SFaM or 6D would be reasonable choices, but it's likely something closer to BC/SL or the post-Portnoy era. What I'm sure of is that it's not I&W which really is unique within their catalog.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson