Author Topic: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?  (Read 16356 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
Given what we know, that he spent time with the band for all the writing process, isn't the explanation of "having to focus on the new DT" plausible and sincere? surely the time he spent in the studio with the DT guys would have been otherwise, at least in part, occupied by rehearsals with his solo band....

I'd love to know as well, but there were rumors going around at the festival about the "real" reason and it didn't make JLB look good.  I don't know if it's true or not so I haven't talked about it at all here.  But I'd love an explanation from the man himself.  I think it'll come back to "focus on DT" part though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
Given what we know, that he spent time with the band for all the writing process, isn't the explanation of "having to focus on the new DT" plausible and sincere? surely the time he spent in the studio with the DT guys would have been otherwise, at least in part, occupied by rehearsals with his solo band....

I'd love to know as well, but there were rumors going around at the festival about the "real" reason and it didn't make JLB look good.  I don't know if it's true or not so I haven't talked about it at all here.  But I'd love an explanation from the man himself.  I think it'll come back to "focus on DT" part though.

What were the rumours?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »

Care to elaborate a bit? Maybe via pm if you don't want to write on the topic.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »

Same here.
Care to elaborate a bit? Maybe via pm if you don't want to write on the topic.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
Ask him if Portnoy or Mangini
Is the better drummer.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
Ask him if Portnoy or Mangini
Is the better drummer.

What could he possibily say apart from "They're both tremendous drummers with their style and personality, we all know Portnoy's importance for this band but we're very happy with Mangini"?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
Just joking around🤓

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
I'm not interested in spreading rumors, I don't know if its true and I'm not looking to start that conversation and I only brought it up because I don't think we are going to know any more details than what we've been told.

Offline DTA

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
I'm curious if he's ever written any music for Dream Theater. I know he may contribute vocal melodies and possibly have a say in the arrangement, but I'm wondering if he's ever played something an instrument or hummed something that wound up being included.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »
I'm curious if he's ever written any music for Dream Theater. I know he may contribute vocal melodies and possibly have a say in the arrangement, but I'm wondering if he's ever played something an instrument or hummed something that wound up being included.
He's co-credited for the music to two songs in A Dramatic Turn of Events and six in Dream Theater.

Offline DTA

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
He's co-credited for the music to two songs in A Dramatic Turn of Events and six in Dream Theater.

Maybe so, but what specifically is what I'm more interested in. I know sometimes his name was thrown in because he was part of the session but has he ever sat down at a piano and written something that ended up in a song?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
Yeah, I got a question.  Why the fuck don't they have a tour date for Phoenix?  JFC!!!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
I definitely would not ask about Mike Portnoy, it’s the 4th album since the split now so we should be past the Portnoy questions at this stage, he is long gone. I admit that it was nice to see that he still sees JP socially and remains friends but never got the impression Portnoy and LaBrie were ever great friends anyway. I know the question comes from a good place, wanting everyone to mend bridges and be cool with each other but it would piss me off in their position if interviewers were still bringing up Mike Portnoy.

My questions would be largely about the new album, favourite songs, any long epic song? Did he record the vocals while they were together in the studio or go away and record separately as he has on recent albums? If he did record in the studio with the band, how was it different? How was it different all living and writing together, was it more collaborative or pretty similar to the other records (The Astonishing aside as we know that was a completely different process than the other records)? Will they continue to do SFAM on the other legs of the tour or just this first North American leg?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
I have 23 questions for him, and many of them came from you guys. Thanks! I'll let you know once it's published!

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
I have 23 questions for him, and many of them came from you guys. Thanks! I'll let you know once it's published!
Cool, thanks! If there's not enough time for a 'treasure hunt'-related question, do you think you could let him know how grateful many of us feel about it? Thanks a lot, Rodrigo! :) Hope you enjoy chatting with James.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Cool, thanks! If there's not enough time for a 'treasure hunt'-related question, do you think you could let him know how grateful many of us feel about it? Thanks a lot, Rodrigo! :) Hope you enjoy chatting with James.

I sure will!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Not sure if it is too late to suggest another question, but I think it'd be cool to ask him how much influence he has over the set lists now, and more specifically, if any songs were played because he really pushed for it or if something wasn't played because he shot it down.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
Ask him what his favorite KrotchRaut song is.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
I admit that it was nice to see that he still sees JP socially and remains friends but never got the impression Portnoy and LaBrie were ever great friends anyway.
If I'm not mistaken, when JL first joined the band, he and MP were particularly close friends, but over time that obviously changed.

Awesome! Looking forward to the interview Rodrigo! Hope it all goes well for ya!

Not sure if it is too late to suggest another question, but I think it'd be cool to ask him how much influence he has over the set lists now, and more specifically, if any songs were played because he really pushed for it or if something wasn't played because he shot it down.
I don't remember where I heard or read this, but I recall hearing that ToT was a song JL really pushed for having on the Along For the Ride Tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
I admit that it was nice to see that he still sees JP socially and remains friends but never got the impression Portnoy and LaBrie were ever great friends anyway.
If I'm not mistaken, when JL first joined the band, he and MP were particularly close friends, but over time that obviously changed.

I think it had something to do with James' vocal struggles + MP's desire to go in a different musical direction that required, in his mind, another kind of singer, and I think he kind of let those frustrations translate into his relationship with James.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »
Did he go and see 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?  If so, what did he think of the timeline changes?

(hey, why not, it's topical)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 01:59:09 AM »
Perhaps ask him, what is his favorite and most memorable performance of his career with Dream Theater that stands alone above any other?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 04:52:42 AM »
Did he go and see 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?  If so, what did he think of the timeline changes?

(hey, why not, it's topical)

That was one of the first questions I thought about...but I had hopes of watching it before the interview, to be able to comment more appropriately, and couldn't. Thanks anyway!

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 07:41:51 AM »
That was one of the first questions I thought about...but I had hopes of watching it before the interview, to be able to comment more appropriately, and couldn't. Thanks anyway!
So, how was the interview? :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »

Hasn’t happened yet. It’s scheduled for later today

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »

Hasn’t happened yet. It’s scheduled for later today

T minus 2 hours! I just did another one before James, with Johnny Gioeli from Hardline and Axel Rudy Pell.

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
T minus 2 hours! I just did another one before James, with Johnny Gioeli from Hardline and Axel Rudy Pell.
Wow, busy Friday for you! :)
Good luck!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
Maybe politely ask why he sounds so awesome on his solo and guest appearance albums and only "meh" on DT albums lately.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
Just finished...we chatted for FIFTY minutes!!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
Just finished...we chatted for FIFTY minutes!!!!

50 minutes with James. Lucky you!!! :metal I'm sure he was kind and gracious as he always come across (and as he was to me when I met him many years ago by now).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
Can't wait to read it. When do you think it'll be published.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
He was very cool and graceful...answered all my questions, including some funny ones. We're gonna publish it in two websites: one with the transcript, and the other with the audio. 

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
Awesome, can't wait to read it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
He was very cool and graceful...answered all my questions, including some funny ones. We're gonna publish it in two websites: one with the transcript, and the other with the audio.
Awesome Rodrigo! Looking forward to reading it when it's made available! (I'm another person who prefers to read than simply listen/watch)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Looking forward to it, and thanks for including us in your preparation.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung