Author Topic: Connecticut - 4/9/2019  (Read 1757 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Connecticut - 4/9/2019
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
SEC 206, Row GG, Seat 14-15

Who else is going?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Connecticut - 4/9/2019
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
Hey yeah I'm going! Section 101 Row N :metal

I implore people in the NYC  and Boston area to attend this show! This venue is freaking awesome! DTF MEETUP IN WALLINGFORD CT!!!!! :metal :metal :metal

ok, so I tried. I wish some of you would consider attending this show.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
I'm 50-50 with this or Boston.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:04 AM »
I decided to go to the Philly show on April 13th because it's a Saturday. I would've gone to the CT show instead but it's in the middle of the week.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline greyghost

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
I will be there along with my two adult children (together we've seen them about 15 times over the years--it's a family tradition!)!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
I decided to go to the Philly show on April 13th because it's a Saturday. I would've gone to the CT show instead but it's in the middle of the week.

Yea, I wanted to go to NYC because its a friday and well, its their hometown show that I don't really miss but the tickets are absurd since its sold out.  This concert being middle of the week pretty much rules it out so it seems Philly might end up being my second show and there's tickets/saturday so its very doable.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:21 AM »
I was there  :metal

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »
I don't want to say I was disappointed with the show last night, but something about it just felt, I don't know, off I guess.

I was excited for the set list (knew it beforehand), but once there, I felt like it didn't really deliver. Controversial opinion: Fall Into the Light was kind of a Snoozefest, and despite absolutely loving the studio version of ANTR, it got to the point with 5 or 6 minutes left where I was thinking myself "okay, let's move onto the next one". ITPOE was great. I love that song live far more than I do the album version.

James was on point and SFAM was great. Was it just my ears or were James' vocals really freaking loud in the mix? I thought all the instruments were at the perfect volume, and then every time James came to the mic, he seemed much louder. 

I absolutely loved this tour's intro video.

I still don't understand why Pull Me Under was the encore choice, especially coming off of the I&W tour. We left as soon as Finally Free ended, as did many others.

I typically never buy merch at concerts, but I had to buy the Pale Blue Dot bandanna as soon as I saw it. I'm going to frame it and put it in my office. All in all, it was a pretty good show, but I'd say it was toward the bottom of the 12ish times I've seen them
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:18:00 AM by Chino »

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
Can you post the set list?

I noticed the keyboards and vocals were overpowering everything else especially for the first 2-3 songs. I didn't realize Mangini was playing a single kick drum in his setup at first until I noticed how muddled it sounded. He wasn't last tour was he? His double bass would benefit from two kicks imo but later in the show the mix seemed to even out a little better. Overall the sound was not great and I was in sec 103 on Myung's side. If you didn't know the songs, I can imagine it would sound like total shit and annoy you to be there. Glad my girlfriend didn't come with me lol The power tripping security there always irks me and 13 bucks a piece for a little mixed drink is almost as annoying as standing in line to take a piss to drain it back out. My last complaint is that they start at 8 on a friggin Tuesday night. Why not start at 7 damn it?!

So I thought they were tight, Labrie sounded good 92% of the time although didn't it look like he had a hitler stash and a beer belly? I wish they had the smaller screens in use to hone in on each player, kinda hard to see with the guy in front of me and his fat head. As much as I probably sound like a negative nancy, I really did enjoy the show and thought they were great despite the shitty weather and long day at work. Welcome to Connetisuck

Offline greyghost

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
I was also in section 103 (maybe further back than you?), and the sound was as close to perfect as I've ever heard from DT!  They seem to have finally worked out the stage volume issues that have been a problem for 20 years--of the various groups I'm really into, DT has long been the only one for which I typically bring (and use) earplugs.  Last night, for the first time ever, I didn't need them. I could hear everything that everyone was doing--I was particularly pleased to finally be able to hear Myung clearly throughout the show.  Contrary to your experience, it was actually in my top 3 or 4 shows ever, by anyone. Funny how different things can sound from different seats.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »
Probably not so much the seats as perception. What row were you in?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:02 AM »
I was in the front and center section, row V. Thought the sound was fantastic, and my ears have a tendancy to clip or something. I've thought the same of every Oakdale show I've attended, though. 2014 was pretty damn loud imo, but one of the shows I saw was in an opera house. My parents will testify that 2003 Oakdale (with Queensryche) was unbelievably loud.

I've felt "off" about most Mangini-era shows, but I was able to get into this one. (I think most of that was internal and mental, in my case.)
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 06:10:54 AM »
I was in the front and center section, row V. Thought the sound was fantastic, and my ears have a tendancy to clip or something. I've thought the same of every Oakdale show I've attended, though. 2014 was pretty damn loud imo, but one of the shows I saw was in an opera house. My parents will testify that 2003 Oakdale (with Queensryche) was unbelievably loud.

I've felt "off" about most Mangini-era shows, but I was able to get into this one. (I think most of that was internal and mental, in my case.)

The Train of Thought show back in 2004 at the Oakdale was without question the loudest concert I've ever been too. I felt disoriented and drunk walking out of there despite being 100% sober. It could have just been my location relative to the speakers, but I thought this latest show was much quieter, and a lot more enjoyable because of it.

However, the sound at the Oakdale can really blow once they open up the wings. I saw Steely Dan there a few years back and was way off to the side. It was so quiet, you could hold a conversation with the person next to you without raising your voice at all.

Offline greyghost

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »

I was in row W, on Myung's side.  In that area of the theater the sound really was fantastic (and I was at the other Oakdale shows people have mentioned, and agree that the sound on those occasions was almost unbearably loud. So was the Opera House show.  It was weird to have the orchestra and choir present but not be able to hear what they were doing until the Blue-Ray came out).