Author Topic: RIP STAN LEE  (Read 2811 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP STAN LEE
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:04 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: RIP STAN LEE
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
Yeah, the story is going around.

A legend has fallen.  RIP Stan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Yeah, the story is going around.

A legend has fallen.  RIP Stan.

A sad day for sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
RIP :(

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
Let's hope there's something after the end credits also this time.

: (
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Fucking gutted. We all knew it was coming sooner than later, but fuck man.

RIP legendary superhero  :heart

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
This one’s hitting me hard. Like everyone said, it’s no surprise, but it’s a huge loss. Much of my moral and ethical character was formed from reading the Marvel characters he helped create and others he helped inspire. I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am were it not, in no small part, for Stan Lee. His works will continue to inspire me, and I hope future generations to come.

Excelsior, Stan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
Dark day. Spiderman is my favorite superhero and has been since I was a little kid. Stan Lee touched the hearts of more children - and, hell, grown adults - more than anyone can possibly fathom.

Thanks for all the wonder and joy, Stan Lee - rest in peace. I just hope he was happy watching his creations come to life like never before these last 10 years, and was satisfied with how they were portrayed.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
Much of my moral and ethical character was formed from reading the Marvel characters he helped create and others he helped inspire. I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am were it not, in no small part, for Stan Lee. His works will continue to inspire me, and I hope future generations to come.
Same for me, pal.  This is pretty tough.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
Spider-Man is the greatest comic book superhero ever.

RIP.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
I met him a couple of times. He was genuinely nice on both occassions. He really seemed to love his fans, and the celebrity of his fame. He was excited for them when they met or interacted with him. In a way, it's good now that he can't be exploited by everyone around him anymore. It was an absolute disgusting shame how the carpet baggers, and hangers on kept forcing that tired old man to make appearances and use him as a cash cow. Especially those closest to him.

Back in the 70's if you read comics he was a God. I was 8, or 9 I think and once wrote him a letter about Thor. I was sure it would wind up in a comic book. It didn't. I did get a form letter, and a Thor key chain. My friends and I were blown away by that. I told him that story the first time I met him. He asked me if I still had either of them. I told him no. He said, "Why not?!"  :lol

His legacy is surely complex. A hero in his own right to legions of fans; unless of course you're in the Jack Kirby, or Steve Ditko camps. Supervillain would be a term you and other like minded tortured souls would probably use. One thing for sure, his creative genius will remain with us for a long, long time.

RIP and Excelsior Mr. Lee. Hope you can rest now. You deserve it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »
Having been a fan of Marvel Comics since childhood, this one really hurts.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
I was an absolute X-Men fan when I was a kid. 

RIP Stan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:46:40 AM »
It feels like I lost my own grandfather. Been a fan of marvel comics and cartoons since I was very young, so this one hurts
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 06:24:47 AM »

Iron Man wasting no time making his first visit to see Stan!

I have said to my wife many times some day Stan Lee will be gone and I can't imagine a world where he no longer exists! I have been a fan since I was 7 years old. I was addicted to Marvel comic books! I cried upon hearing the news. I always knew I likely would. RIP Stan Lee!!!
EXCELSIOR! Nuff said... :heart
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 07:13:01 AM »
This is gonna sound corny, but it is what it is: Mr Lee taught three generations that heroes are flawed, and they get the "super" prefix because they deal with their own flaws with the same courage they deal with the villains.

This goes way beyond entertainment, and I feel grateful.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
Never been a comic book guy, nor do I have any stomach for these current crop of recent superhero movies, but I certainly watched enough cartoons as a kid to really admire their creator.

And with all he has influenced, even living to 95, I almost feel like he's been underappreciated in pop culture. I could be wrong since I am long estranged on pop culture, but yeah..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 08:48:08 AM »
World has lost an icon! :sadpanda:

R.I.P

I'm 99% sure that in the end of Avengers 4, there will be some sort of salute to Stan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 09:10:01 AM »
I was more of a DC guy growing up, but The Fantastic Four was a favorite.  Having said that, when Charles Schultz died, I cried like it was my uncle, so I certainly understand the feelings here, and they're well deserved.  He didn't create one hero, or even two.  Not even three. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
World has lost an icon! :sadpanda:

R.I.P

I'm 99% sure that in the end of Avengers 4, there will be some sort of salute to Stan.

I was reading online yesterday (not sure how true) that he prerecord a number of cameos for movies that are in the pipeline. Several of which haven't officially started production yet.

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
Yea, but that was a while ago. I'm 100% certain he has cameos for every Marvel movie for the next 2 years if nothing else. I don't know if they will change those though, with him gone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
Yea, but that was a while ago. I'm 100% certain he has cameos for every Marvel movie for the next 2 years if nothing else. I don't know if they will change those though, with him gone.

I'd hope they'll leave them all in. And after, I guarantee they'll work a Stan Lee cameo some other way... A picture, a TV screen in the background, whatnot. They'll pay respects to him in some fashion in every Marvel movie from here on out.

Offline Adami

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »

I'd hope they'll leave them all in. And after, I guarantee they'll work a Stan Lee cameo some other way... A picture, a TV screen in the background, whatnot. They'll pay respects to him in some fashion in every Marvel movie from here on out.

Oh totally agree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »
Terrible news. A legend. Have to believe he was blown away by how the MCU did his characters justice on the silver screen, what a thrill for him.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
It's been about 40 years since I first lay my hands on a Marvel comic. My life has taken a turn it wouldn't have but for Mr Stan Lee. He's been part of my life ever since. Seeing all theses characters come to life in the 2000s has been a phenomenal experience I never thought I would have.
I feel like crying, like, really. We all knew it was coming but, man, wasn't I prepared. For all you've done for me and for probably millions of other people, a big fat heartfelt THANK YOU, Mr Lee. If there is such thing as a paradise, I hope you're entertaining the ones above as much as you entertained us when you were here down below. RIP.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
Marvel remembers Stan Lee

That was great.

“He built American mythology.”
What a great quote.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 06:08:11 PM »
Marvel remembers Stan Lee

That was great.

“He built American mythology.”
What a great quote.

Exactly. I was trying to explain his impact on pop culture to a coworker, and that was what I was trying to say.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
And then of course a useless asshole like Bill Maher has to come out and put down people who are mourning Stan Lee. He’ll be forgotten long before Stan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
And then of course a useless asshole like Bill Maher has to come out and put down people who are mourning Stan Lee. He’ll be forgotten long before Stan.

Far be it from me to defend Bill Maher, but that's what he does.  The 9/11 attackers were the one's with courage.  100 things about religion.  Etc., etc. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 07:31:32 PM »

What a douche.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 03:38:26 AM »

I had to use Google to know who that piece of shot is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
I actually like Maher about 75% of the time, but this was stupid.

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
We can always just not be bothered by his words. I dunno. Just an idea. Let's focus on Stan and his influence, and not lashing out in anger or frustration toward others who don't agree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com