Poll

Hemispheres or Natural Science?

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres
23 (46.9%)
Natural Science
26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Hemispheres or Natural Science?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline WildRanger

Hemispheres or Natural Science?
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
Between these two, which prog epic by Rush you prefer and why?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Hemispheres or Natural Science?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
What I notice (and this is completely unrelated to the post I quoted) is an increasing negativity towards these threads, though, and honestly can't see why.

I will agree with Parama:
I mean in this case as I've already said the premise literally isn't true so
Not agreeing with the guy is fine.

For me at least, it isn't about whether one agrees with him.  It is that he sets a premise or multiple premises that simply are not true, which makes the entire discussion pointless.  It's like a thread discussing the merits of releasing fluorocarbons into the atmosphere, but posing the question with the assumption that "fluorocarbons turn the sky an obnoxious shade or orange, and as we all know, orange is the favorite color of terrorists.  So what do you think about releasing fluorocarbons into the atmosphere?  Should the government regulate them?" 

Plenty of people on this forum were clamoring for him to be banned by the time he had posted half of dozen threads.  As I always do, I pointed out that he is not breaking any forum rules and is entitled to post what he likes, provided he does not break rules.  Yet, after many, many efforts to try to get him on track with the WAY he posts, he has ignored those efforts to guide him to the point that he is about an inch away from my patience running out and him being kicked off these boards.  So that should tell you something.

(I quoted only the above post, but all the other answers I got have merit)

Ok, now I see why and how some of you can get irked by WR's posting ways. I hope he sees it too and takes action in order to keep getting the answers and opinions he (I believe) honestly seeks without negativity attached.
I think the thing that bothers people most is also how many of these threads there are.

One solution, if he's up for it, is to have a single "WildRanger asks about music" thread where he can post these sorts of questions in one place. If he starts the thread, he could even update the title when he has a new question/observation so interested people can check it out.

Might get some good discussions going but without annoying people.

What do you say, WildRanger?

I literally suggested the exact same thing months ago in multiple of his threads and considering all of that got ignored, I doubt it'll see the light this time.

Dropping this here.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »
Easily Natural Science.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
The most annoying thing about WildRanger's posts is the frequency which people come into them just to bitch about how awful they are. If you don't like his threads stop reading them. Nobody's got a fucking gun to your head. I know this is a shocking concept, but it actually does work. Give it a try sometime. I read about half of his threads. The ones that interest me. I skip the ones that don't. To date none of them have offended me in any way and I've enjoyed some of he discussion.

Hemispheres pretty easily, despite Natural Science working for me in a really big way. I will say that in a live context NS works much better. On one occasion it left me completely gobsmacked. Hemispheres isn't something they were able to pull of for many, many years. Still, if I put the headphones on and listen to Rush there's a good chance Hemispheres is what I go for. Natural Science not so much. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
I love Natural Science, but Hemispheres is a greater, grander piece, despite it not in a key Geddy was used-to singing in.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
El Barto.   Fuck yeah.  Don't like it, don't read it.

Also, Hemispheres.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
Definitely Hemispheres. And I love Natural Science.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
Definitely Hemispheres. And I love Natural Science.

Same. Going purely by song length, there's just more of Hemispheres to love so that clinches it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »
NS, easily.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
This is so close for me.    But until I discovered Supper's Ready, Hemispheres was IMO the single greatest piece of rock music ever written by anyone in all of history.   It is a perfect companion to Book I, and I still can't see them as anything but one single, glorious 28 and a half minutes of pure eargasmic perfection. 

So ya...no contest.   Hemispheres.   (even though it's only 2/3rds of a song)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:16:56 AM »
NS, easily.

Yup!

Natural Science is shorter, but has much more interesting sections and just feels like a much better written song. Hemispheres is a chore to get through. I like all the other songs from Hemispheres more than the title track.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:50 AM »
Hemispheres is my favourite piece of music by Rush.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »
Natural Science for sure! One of my favorite Rush songs

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »
El Barto.   Fuck yeah.  Don't like it, don't read it.

Also, Hemispheres.

<Throws hat into the ring in agreement.>

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Hemispheres wins this simply because there's more to it.  If NS were a 15 minute long song, I'm not sure I'd be able to choose.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
The most annoying thing about WildRanger's posts is the frequency which people come into them just to bitch about how awful they are. If you don't like his threads stop reading them. Nobody's got a fucking gun to your head. I know this is a shocking concept, but it actually does work. Give it a try sometime. I read about half of his threads. The ones that interest me. I skip the ones that don't. To date none of them have offended me in any way and I've enjoyed some of he discussion.

So what you're saying is avoid 80% of the posts? :P

on topic: natural science

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
Ooh I just tipped the balance.

I’ve never liked Hemispheres I love Natural Science. Easy one.

Offline 425

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
Natural Science, easily. Hemispheres is good but I've never thought of it as a top-tier Rush song. Natural Science is.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
Hemispheres but not by a landslide.  Natural Science is such a awesome stand alone epic song with great lyrics.
I chose Hemispheres because it's just a melodic masterpiece, not to mention Ged's bass playing!  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Love em both, but Hemispheres was first, so gotta go with that.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »
Hemispheres the album is one of my top 3 favorite albums by Rush (the other two being Power Windows and Counterparts). But Natural Science is my all time favorite Rush tune, so it gets the nod from me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.