Author Topic: FRIDAY RELEASES  (Read 75935 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: FRIDAY RELEASES
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2021, 03:48:46 AM »
Vetrar Draugurinn's The Night Sky just came out and it's probably my favorite album of the year so far.  It's atmospheric, melodic, gothic doom metal, with one of my favorite vocalists, who guested with Ayreon, and one of Stream of Passion's former guitarists. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7bRG_OFIyM&list=OLAK5uy_mFKLfqC3PyRuY5Ia_RpOKgMQ3c3GtARL4&index=1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2021, 04:42:45 AM »
Vetrar Draugurinn's The Night Sky just came out and it's probably my favorite album of the year so far.  It's atmospheric, melodic, gothic doom metal, with one of my favorite vocalists, who guested with Ayreon, and one of Stream of Passion's former guitarists. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7bRG_OFIyM&list=OLAK5uy_mFKLfqC3PyRuY5Ia_RpOKgMQ3c3GtARL4&index=1
Thanks for the recommendation, sounds interesting - I'll add it to my list to check out.

Also, it's been good to see you posting again recently!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2021, 06:24:10 PM »
Also, it's been good to see you posting again recently!

Yeah, I wish I'd thought about it a bit earlier, I'm sure I've missed out on a lot.  I've sporadically had more time here and there due to fallout from the last 1.5 years.  I still post occasionally at the other place as well. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »
new Vonavi tune "Still With Me (ft Run Rivers)"  :tup

Sounds like a continuation of his last record, Reflection, from 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONCkG798G8

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2021, 05:17:05 AM »
I just had the new Trivium and BADBADNOTGOOD yesterday.

I also got around to checking out the new Four Stroke Baron, that came out last week. It's a really good album and serious contender. I'll definitely be revisiting.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2021, 02:10:15 AM »
Quite a few on my hit list today.

Twelve Foot Ninja - Vengeance

This was fine but I wasn't particularly impressed. I'd checked out the singles on the run up to this but none were that memorable. They've added in some electronic/video game sounds this time around. I think the album has been released to coincide with a video game created by someone in the band?

I absolutely love One Handed Killing by this band, but I haven't found one single song that has ever hit me in the same way.

Hippotraktor - Meridian

Never heard of this band before but it's a Pelagic Records release and something about it caught my eye/ear. It was pretty good and I'll give it a relisten. Don't know how to describe it but it sounds like a Pelagic release.

A. A. Williams - Arco (EP)

This was hauntingly beautiful, and I also realised that she released a cover album this year so I'll give that a listen today as well.

Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes - Sticky

Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes are OK, but I know I check out each release as I feel I owe it to him. I fucking LOVED all the Gallows releases when he was in the band, but none of his Rattlesnakes releases do much for me.

Star Wars Visions - OSTs

I loved the new Star Wars Visions shorts that were out last month. The soundtracks to all 9 shorts have been released today. I remember some being better than others but I'll pick out the highlights.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:07:30 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline HOF

« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
Just saw that Dug Pinnick has a new solo album out today. Randy McStine does some guitar and other stuff on it. Will have to check out.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:18 PM »
Anybody listened to the Spiritbox album? Loving it so far.

Didn't know about this band until recently. Their music keeps playing on Liquid Metal. Not bad, enjoyable songs so far.

I've been hearing their name quite a lot in the last few months, but I kept putting them off until now.  I was worried it would be another Jinjer situation, where they just don't work for me (yet anyway).  I was quite blown away, honestly.  More melodic than Jinjer, Courtney has a really great clean voice.  The chorus on "Hurt You" I think is going to be stuck in my head for the next few days.  Loved about half the album right away, and the other half could easily grow on me.  This little musical niche is starting to fill out interestingly now.  Red Handed Denial is similar, but more technical, proggier and a bit more -core influenced.  Sordid Pink/Destiny Potato is even more proggier and experimental and even more melodic.  There are a bunch of others, most of which haven't caught my ear long enough to become very familiar with them. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2021, 08:41:43 PM »

Didn't know about this band until recently. Their music keeps playing on Liquid Metal. Not bad, enjoyable songs so far.

I've been hearing their name quite a lot in the last few months, but I kept putting them off until now.  I was worried it would be another Jinjer situation, where they just don't work for me (yet anyway).  I was quite blown away, honestly.  More melodic than Jinjer, Courtney has a really great clean voice.  The chorus on "Hurt You" I think is going to be stuck in my head for the next few days.  Loved about half the album right away, and the other half could easily grow on me.  This little musical niche is starting to fill out interestingly now.  Red Handed Denial is similar, but more technical, proggier and a bit more -core influenced.  Sordid Pink/Destiny Potato is even more proggier and experimental and even more melodic.  There are a bunch of others, most of which haven't caught my ear long enough to become very familiar with them.

Really enjoy what I've heard from Spiritbox. Is it just me or does Courtney's voice in the chorus of "Hurt You" sound a little similar to Ashe O'Hara (former Tesseract, Voices from the Fuselage)? Maybe its just the vocal technique either way I like it :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »
Huh, that didn't come to mind at all, but now that you point it out, that is interesting.  Listening back and forth a bit, I hear them as fairly distinct, but since Courtney is basically an alto, and Ashe is a soft and high tenor, their range and style is much more similar than it would normally be.  I really like that soothing, relaxing style they have though, it's refreshing, and contrasts nicely with the music (and in Courtney's case, her harsh vocals). 

And my prediction is coming true, I've listened quite a lot to the album since my last post, although "The Summit" is probably my second favorite song.  The album itself is probably in my top 5 for the year at the moment. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2021, 11:30:05 PM »

Pretty much agreed. Their earlier singles/EP didn't do much for me, similar to Jinjer - loved the voice but the music wasn't that interesting. But Spiritbox seem to have got on top of their songwriting and their debut LP is excellent.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2021, 06:47:40 AM »
I would at least give a listen to this one, it's as good as anything on the latest album to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrfG_TBtUo

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #363 on: October 22, 2021, 04:46:57 AM »
Pepe Deluxe - The Phantom Cabinet Vol. 1
https://pepedeluxe.bandcamp.com/album/phantom-cabinet-vol-1

The Dear Hunter - The Indigo Child OST
https://open.spotify.com/album/1QHYMqemImGWdzAQtNgzI0

Biffy Clyro - The Myth of the Happily Ever After
https://open.spotify.com/album/79TV8acvMeGKGbsBUKvwCI

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #364 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
I'm a little terrified of this Friday.  A short list of things I'm aware of coming out that I have some level of interest in - Ad Infinitum, Archspire, Be'lakor, First Fragment, Grand Cadaver, Jerry Cantrell, Joe Bonamassa, Kayo Dot, Lucifer, Marissa Nadler, Mastodon, Mon Laferte, Running Wild, They Might Be Giants, Tori Amos, The War On Drugs, Whitechapel.  I think it might be the busiest release day of the year.  I'm going to have some serious analysis paralysis trying to decide which to check out first, and might wind up just listening to older stuff until I start hearing some buzz. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2021, 07:55:34 AM »
The War on Drugs are releasing a new album? That was not on my radar but is very much welcome.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
Mastodon this Friday, then. I really enjoyed the previous album and the latest singles so I am excited.

Then it looks like it's only the new ABBA album left that I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year. What a strange sentence to write btw - "the new ABBA album".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
I just listen to too much music.  Lots of other intriguing releases in the couple months after that too, Emma Ruth Rundle, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Unleashed, Dave Gahan, Hypocrisy, Lock Up, We Are The Catalyst, The Tea Party, Cynic, Swallow The Sun, Obscura, Omnium Gatherum, Mo, Eucharist, Chelsea Wolfe/Converge, The Lurking Fear, and probably others I forgot to write down. 

Offline pfillion

« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2021, 01:17:05 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #369 on: October 30, 2021, 12:53:13 PM »
I've kind of run out of steam for '21 albums for a bit, so here's some quick thoughts on the ones I listened to of this week's batch. 

Ad Infinitum - pretty great, one of the most exciting newer bands, symphonic metal done unusually well, "Unstoppable" is one of my favorite songs this year

Archspire - a bit too techy for me, and not enough memorability, a step down from their last one

Be'lakor - I just can't get into this sort of melodeath as much as many others seem to, but it's quite well-done and will please their fans

First Fragment - much better for tech death, many more standout parts than Archspire, but just as crazy instrumentally, with spellbinding fretless bass playing, riveting lead work and some cool flamenco flourishes

Grand Cadaver - Mikael Stanne is quite a beast, it's impressive how good he sounds at his age, and Liljekvist is playing with more fire than Katatonia would typically sustain

Joe Bonamassa - very competent, hits everything you want from modern hard blues rock, but nothing particularly outstanding if that isn't your sort of thing

Kayo Dot - surprisingly great, I haven't listened to them in many years, but this is very dreamy stuff

Lucifer - probably the best of the throwback bands of their kind, some really great tunes here, someone described them as Heart meets Black Sabbath, and that's pretty accurate, Nicke even has a few riffs which if you ran them into an HM-2 pedal would have worked for Entombed

Marissa Nadler - probably my favorite on the list, she's heading into more ethereal waters than before, quite exquisite songcraft and vocals here

Mastodon - I haven't been that crazy about most of their prior work, but this is the best I've heard them, quite a serendipitous listen with a lot of variety, Dailor to me is the star of the band still, quite impressive drumming and probably my favorite vocalist of them

Tori Amos - really good stuff, she's always been an artist I don't listen to as much as I'd like to, and maybe this will change that

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #370 on: October 30, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »
Cheers, I didn't realise the First Fragment album was out yet  :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #372 on: October 30, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »
I've kind of run out of steam for '21 albums for a bit, so here's some quick thoughts on the ones I listened to of this week's batch. 

Ad Infinitum - pretty great, one of the most exciting newer bands, symphonic metal done unusually well, "Unstoppable" is one of my favorite songs this year

Archspire - a bit too techy for me, and not enough memorability, a step down from their last one

Be'lakor - I just can't get into this sort of melodeath as much as many others seem to, but it's quite well-done and will please their fans

First Fragment - much better for tech death, many more standout parts than Archspire, but just as crazy instrumentally, with spellbinding fretless bass playing, riveting lead work and some cool flamenco flourishes

Grand Cadaver - Mikael Stanne is quite a beast, it's impressive how good he sounds at his age, and Liljekvist is playing with more fire than Katatonia would typically sustain

Joe Bonamassa - very competent, hits everything you want from modern hard blues rock, but nothing particularly outstanding if that isn't your sort of thing

Kayo Dot - surprisingly great, I haven't listened to them in many years, but this is very dreamy stuff

Lucifer - probably the best of the throwback bands of their kind, some really great tunes here, someone described them as Heart meets Black Sabbath, and that's pretty accurate, Nicke even has a few riffs which if you ran them into an HM-2 pedal would have worked for Entombed

Marissa Nadler - probably my favorite on the list, she's heading into more ethereal waters than before, quite exquisite songcraft and vocals here

Mastodon - I haven't been that crazy about most of their prior work, but this is the best I've heard them, quite a serendipitous listen with a lot of variety, Dailor to me is the star of the band still, quite impressive drumming and probably my favorite vocalist of them

Tori Amos - really good stuff, she's always been an artist I don't listen to as much as I'd like to, and maybe this will change that

Cool recap  :tup I have some catching up to do with this week's releases...Mastodon first and foremost...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #373 on: October 30, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »
I haven't cared about Mastodon in 10 years or more, but I forgot David Botrill worked with them on this album, so I may have to check it out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #374 on: October 30, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
I haven't cared about Mastodon in 10 years or more, but I forgot David Botrill worked with them on this album, so I may have to check it out.

I have liked, but not loved Once More 'Round the Sun and Emperor of the Sand...curious to hear what they came up with on this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #375 on: October 31, 2021, 04:45:35 AM »
Oooh... I didn't realize Ad Infinitum had the full album released.  Same with Joe B.  Neither artists showed up in my Spotify Release Radar - though there were a shit ton of Live songs - Springsteen, Vandenberg, Chicago, Armored Saint, and Priest.  None of which were terribly interesting tbh.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #376 on: October 31, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
The new Ad Infinitum is excellent again, lots of really strong tunes and Melissa Bonny is just amazing.

The other one I had that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet is the new Moron Police EP. It's very short, and it took a couple of listens but I think it's great. They write such brilliant songs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline JLa

« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2021, 03:36:24 AM »
The new Be'lakor is really something else. It needs to be played loud on a good pair of headphones, holy cow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR3a9Ul9alM

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #378 on: November 12, 2021, 12:16:01 AM »
All I've got today is the soundtrack to the new Wheel of Time series, absolutely nothing else of note.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #379 on: November 12, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2021, 11:23:00 AM »

LOVE this band.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: November 12, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »

LOVE this band.
Me too.  I will try to listen to that over the weekend at some point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #382 on: November 12, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
Oh wow, that Damian Wilson one wasn't even on my radar, that'll be a treat.  Supposedly the new Arena album with him should be out in the near future as well, definitely looking forward to that. 

There's other interesting stuff released today like Dawn of Solace, Dave Gahan, Robin Guthrie, Idles, Susanna Hoffs, L.A. Guns, They Might Be Giants, Tower, and Unleashed.  I've already heard Unleashed (decent, but they've done better) and Tower (pretty good throwback heavy metal/hard rock, somewhat in the Doro vein). 

Next week might be the second biggest week of the year though.  Adele, Aephanemer, BT, Converge/Chelsea Wolfe, The Darkness, Eldritch, Exodus, Ross Jennings, Khemmis, Alison Krauss/Robert Plant, The Lurking Fear, Me and That Man, Obscura, Sting, Swallow The Sun, Temperance, Volumes, and Paul Wardingham. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #383 on: November 12, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »
Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic

my wife is kind of obsessed with this tonight. I'm honestly finding it rather samey.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #384 on: November 12, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic

my wife is kind of obsessed with this tonight. I'm honestly finding it rather samey.

Bought that today. It has a really high rating on Rate Your Music. Looking forward to listening to it.