News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

SFAM: Whatever became of Julian?

Started by zappafrank2112, November 10, 2018, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zappafrank2112

Maybe the listener is Julian reincarnated!  :o

(but seriously, I'm assuming this has been addressed in the last 20 years... I just never really thought about it enough to ask)

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Progmetty

Back in the day someone on the old forums said it was the homeless guy who told Nicolas some details in Fatal Tragedy but I'm not sure if JP ever heard or confirmed that idea.

hefdaddy42

He went on to become the Count of Tuscany.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

MirrorMask

Quote from: Progmetty on November 10, 2018, 04:39:52 PM
Back in the day someone on the old forums said it was the homeless guy who told Nicolas some details in Fatal Tragedy but I'm not sure if JP ever heard or confirmed that idea.

This is what I've always known, where "known" stands for "read it sometime somewhere and it looked official so I went with that".

After all, story wise it makes sense for Julian to want to help uncover the mystery of his death.

zappafrank2112

SystematicThought

Would Julian even be alive? Or wait, he's reincarnated as the old man?

hefdaddy42

Quote from: SystematicThought on November 11, 2018, 01:25:10 PM
Would Julian even be alive? Or wait, he's reincarnated as the old man?

No.

A young eccentric man
Bred from royal blood
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Progmetty

Quote from: MirrorMask on November 11, 2018, 06:49:05 AM
Quote from: Progmetty on November 10, 2018, 04:39:52 PM

This is what I've always known, where "known" stands for "read it sometime somewhere and it looked official so I went with that".

Yep, same here.

IDontNotDoThings

But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened. Jullian's re-incarnation would've only been a newborn.

That is, unless he just stole the body of some already existing old guy, which is kind of a dick move but whatever.

(edit: grammar)

Sebastián Pratesi

Maybe Julian reincarnated into Nicholas' wife, who also happens to be the Hypnotherapist's sister?

Orbert

Indiscipline

I always thought Julian reincarnated into John John Kennedy.

JiM-Xtreme

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on November 11, 2018, 04:01:31 PM
But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened.

Or is he? I was under the impression that in the context of Fatal Tragedy, Nicholas is between therapy sessions and is asking around in the present day to find out more about the things he sees whilst being regressed.

I hadn't considered the idea that the older man referred to in this song could be Julian reincarnated, but that idea seems to make a lot of sense for me for reasons already suggested in this thread.

hefdaddy42

Progmetty

But that doesn't make any sense. Nicholas is going back to where the murder had only just happened. Jullian's re-incarnation would've only been a newborn.

That is, unless he just stole the body of some already existing old guy, which is kind of a dick move but whatever.

Can you re-phrase? I don't get what you mean.

pg1067

Quote from: zappafrank2112 on November 10, 2018, 04:29:38 PM
Maybe the listener is Julian reincarnated!  :o

(but seriously, I'm assuming this has been addressed in the last 20 years... I just never really thought about it enough to ask)

I ran into him last Friday after lunch.  We're getting together soon.  I'll tell him you asked about him.

ToT-147

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 12, 2018, 06:08:47 AM
But that doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, but NONE of this makes any sense.

What it really doesn't make any sense is that tragic ending..

CDrice

I'm pretty sure he became a king somewhere.

hefdaddy42

IDontNotDoThings

Quote from: Progmetty on November 12, 2018, 06:13:15 AM

In the context of the song, Jullian had only just died, so his re-incarnation wouldn't have had time to age.

That is, unless I'm wrong about the setting of the song, which wouldn't surprise me.

Ninjabait

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on November 12, 2018, 03:44:08 PM

In the context of the song, Jullian had only just died, so his re-incarnation wouldn't have had time to age.

That is, unless I'm wrong about the setting of the song, which wouldn't surprise me.

The flashback portions of the album took place roundabouts 1928, while the modern day portion takes place around 1999. Plenty of time for an old dude to be born in there somewhere. We don't get his specific age, so the old dude could be anywhere from 60-71 years old. All we know is that he's older than Nicholas.

So could be. Thematically it would make some sense. There's only 6 characters with actual speaking parts in the album, 3 in the past and 3 in the future. We all know DT loves stuff like that (and also it's just good writing). Or maybe Julien just didn't reincarnate. The rules of reincarnation aren't really firmly established in-universe. He could be in Heaven, Hell, dead, or a snail (that's he could be a snail, not could be in a snail). Who knows?

IDontNotDoThings

Quote from: Ninjabait on November 12, 2018, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on November 12, 2018, 03:44:08 PM

The flashback portions of the album took place roundabouts 1928, while the modern day portion takes place around 1999. Plenty of time for an old dude to be born in there somewhere. We don't get his specific age, so the old dude could be anywhere from 60-71 years old. All we know is that he's older than Nicholas.

So could be. Thematically it would make some sense. There's only 6 characters with actual speaking parts in the album, 3 in the past and 3 in the future. We all know DT loves stuff like that (and also it's just good writing). Or maybe Julien just didn't reincarnate. The rules of reincarnation aren't really firmly established in-universe. He could be in Heaven, Hell, dead, or a snail (that's he could be a snail, not could be in a snail). Who knows?

Oh, I thought Fatal Tragedy took place in the flashback time.

Robo4900

The way I always interpreted the story was that the old man in Fatal Tragedy is Julian reincarnated.

For a while, I also toyed with the idea in my head that the Hypnotherapist isn't just a version of Edward, but is in fact literally just an older Edward. He'd be like 95, but I didn't say it was a perfect theory. Just a fun one to think about. :lol